01-31-2011, 01:27 PM
The latest on the WAC rumors....

http://collegesportsinfo.com/2011/01/31/lamar-to-fbs-wac-rumors/

CardAmbassador
01-31-2011, 01:38 PM
LU1991 wrote:

The latest on the WAC rumors....

http://collegesportsinfo.com/2011/01/31/lamar-to-fbs-wac-rumors/

No contest. We go. Look at the amount of excitement this is already generating and it's not Football season, and we're not invited yet. Lamar will get much more attention if we make this move.

lu cards
01-31-2011, 02:00 PM
id prefer to have all the facilities upgraded and give the football team another year or two to get established.we also have to start the softball team.with that being said if we get the opportunity to go fbs i say we jump head first.may not get another chance for a long time.tx st,utsa,la tech and ull have nothing on us.ive read on each of there boards that we are below them.i think its the opposite.i see lamar having more to offer an fbs conference than any of those schools.we have between 400k-500k people to draw on.we have better attendance with the expception of football(not for long)and dont have a major university down the road.community support is on the rise and alumni donations are through the roof.bring these @$%^*^# on!!!

coachacola
01-31-2011, 02:12 PM
I think it's a done deal. Next year will probably be our last year in the SLC. I think leaving the SLC and moving to a FBS conference has been Dr. Simmons' and Billy Tubbs' goal for a long time.

LU4LIFE
01-31-2011, 03:25 PM
If we get a invite we need to run away from the slc and don't look back.

CardAmbassador
01-31-2011, 04:37 PM
Here is what I find funny. USU is complaining about the addition of the Texas schools. I'm thinking in a very short time maybe 2 or 3 years after we join the Texas schools could be the best in the entire conference. Utah State already has a poor preforming football team, UTSA and TXstate's budgets will increase dramatically over the next few years. With access to better recruits I could see Txstate, utsa or both becoming WAC power houses.

In all honesty I'm not afraid of LU competing with the current wac members I'm afraid of us competing with a WAC and Texas State that have alot more money to throw around than we do.

USU and the remaining WAC might find themselves very much in need of those two in the coming decade if things stay together.

bigred360
02-01-2011, 02:54 PM
I say we leave for the WAC. Make all the upgrades lucards is talking about and ALWAYS be on the look out to leave for a more regional conference. JMO.

CardAmbassador
02-03-2011, 11:07 AM
bigred360 wrote:

I say we leave for the WAC. Make all the upgrades lucards is talking about and ALWAYS be on the look out to leave for a more regional conference. JMO.

Are you as worried as me that the WAC invite might not come?

The Lefredrick Ford incident did shake my confidence in our "sources."

There are two facts that make me feel other wise though.

It's hard to determine what an individual is going to do and Ford may have changed his mind at the last moment.

Lazeek and AAW both stated the invite has already been sent, that's something that is alot harder to get wrong.

I'm also worried that maybe they reject the WAC invite and hope they get a Sun Belt or C-USA invite.

Does anyone know if we can accept the WAC invite and then dump it later for another conference invite?

coachacola
02-03-2011, 12:18 PM
I have my doubts too. I'm guessing we'll know this month if Lamar will go to the WAC or not. I don't think they'll say anything unless they do actually accept the invite. I would also guess any invite would come with strings attached so Lamar just couldn't turn around and go to the Sun Belt.

bigred360
02-04-2011, 02:46 PM
CardAmbassador wrote:

bigred360 wrote:

Are you as worried as me that the WAC invite might not come? Yes, but I'm not worried as it could be a blessing. We have to upgrade our facilities, starting winning in the revenue producing sports and start a softball team and build facilites. I think there are going to be other shake-ups in conferences in the future.
The Lefredrick Ford incident did shake my confidence in our "sources." I though we would get him but the source I talked to stated he called Jeremy Johnson and they hit it off pretty good and based on that I felt there was a chance. However, I was told a couple of months ago Ford to SFA was a done deal. Guess that all goes with recruiting.
There are two facts that make me feel other wise though.

It's hard to determine what an individual is going to do and Ford may have changed his mind at the last moment. No, I'm afraid Ford is a LumberJack for the next four or five years.
Lazeek and AAW both stated the invite has already been sent, that's something that is alot harder to get wrong. True, but I wouldn't bet my pay check on it.
I'm also worried that maybe they reject the WAC invite and hope they get a Sun Belt or C-USA invite. No, there are teams in better position than Lamar for a C-USA invite and the administration at Lamar knows this. We don't have the money to make that move yet.
Does anyone know if we can accept the WAC invite and then dump it later for another conference invite? Yes, but I'm sure the will be a buy out fee which could be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Would not be a good move in my opinion

coachacola
02-04-2011, 04:40 PM
Someone on katfans.com says he has a buddy that works for the NCAA and was told that the WAC will officially announce two new teams on Monday. Nothing like another rumor!

Mike
02-04-2011, 05:21 PM
coachacola wrote:

Someone on katfans.com says he has a buddy that works for the NCAA and was told that the WAC will officially announce two new teams on Monday. Nothing like another rumor!

I spoke to a source in the Lamar athletic dept and asked this question point blank and they responded with...."I have no idea." So, it could be theres nothing to LU going to the WAC or it could be a smokescreen. My personal opinion is if offered, they'd accept.

I guess stay tuned.....

Mike
02-04-2011, 06:43 PM
7:40 Update

Spoke to another source and they told me there's "a very strong possibility" that this (LU to WAC) happens. If fact, the reason the rumored TCU vs LU football match-up hasn't materialized is because of politics involving the SLC and them assuming LU is leaving the conference.

The source knew nothing of an announcement by the WAC tomorrow but said anything is possible.

Stay tuned....

Mike
02-04-2011, 08:05 PM
9:00 Update:

Spoke to yet another LU source and when asked about the Cardinals to WAC their response was "I don't think its gonna happen." So chalk up another wave in the speculation. This person is pretty connected so my confidence meter on this happening goes down a notch.

Stay Tuned.....

LU1991
02-05-2011, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the updates....I'm beginning to doubt all rumors....but still looking forward to watching spring training and see what JJ can do. If the move to the WAC happens...great...if it doesn't ...we move on and whip up on some SLC until someone throws us an invite.

coachacola
02-05-2011, 02:14 PM
All these rumors are getting me worn down. I just wish Dr. Simmons would go ahead and say yes or no to the WAC and get it over with.

CardinalClaw
02-05-2011, 03:50 PM
coachacola wrote:

All these rumors are getting me worn down. I just wish Dr. Simmons would go ahead and say yes or no to the WAC and get it over with.

You took the words right out of my mouth, just get it over with already!!!

LU4LIFE
02-05-2011, 03:56 PM
I agree this topic as been beat to death, and it's getting old seeing the same old thing being said about day after day.

Mike
02-05-2011, 04:36 PM
All I can tell you guys is the sources I've spoken with would know whats going on with this situation. This is not to say it couldn't be a smokescreen because they don't want the news being released yet, but again they are very connected.

coachacola
02-05-2011, 05:13 PM
I appreciate your input on this.

CardAmbassador
02-05-2011, 06:03 PM
ADMIN wrote:

coachacola wrote:

I spoke to a source in the Lamar athletic dept and asked this question point blank and they responded with...."I have no idea." So, it could be theres nothing to LU going to the WAC or it could be a smokescreen. My personal opinion is if offered, they'd accept.

I guess stay tuned.....

My opinion is that anything goes at this point. I know it is our plan to move up, but I could see LU turning down an invite based on timing. The budget crisis isn't a good time to upgrade you athletic facilities and budget. If we reject I think it will be because of the finances.

coachacola
02-05-2011, 07:38 PM
I still say it would be a big mistake if Lamar turns down an invite to the WAC. They don't have to upgrade the stadium immediately and upgrades to the baseball field are already planned. A move to the WAC would probably help the $100 million capital campaign.

LU4LIFE
02-05-2011, 08:27 PM
Fox 4 said that "Lamar has talked to the WAC officials and it does not look like they are going to join this year."

CardinalClaw
02-05-2011, 09:12 PM
LU4LIFE wrote:

Fox 4 said that "Lamar has talked to the WAC officials and it does not look like they are going to join this year."

I wonder what they mean by "this year."

Cards R Us
02-05-2011, 09:19 PM
For everyone who's been riding this wave, get ready for more. No matter how dead in the water this topic is, it seems as though there's at least one Cardinal "Insider" who can find someone with 'secret' information from some 'source' to dredge this up again.

LAMAR TO THE WAC!!!!!

CardAmbassador
02-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Cards R Us wrote:

For everyone who's been riding this wave, get ready for more. No matter how dead in the water this topic is, it seems as though there's at least one Cardinal "Insider" who can find someone with 'secret' information from some 'source' to dredge this up again.

LAMAR TO THE WAC!!!!!

What does this mean? Is there someone that is well connected telling you Lamar will join the WAC? please let us know more. I don't want to know who your source is, just if they're in a position to know about the Lamar WAC status.

But then again it's probably just sarcasm.

bigred360
02-06-2011, 08:59 AM
CardAmbassador, the guy is being sarcastic in his remarks. I don't have any "inside information". However, I can tell you within 5 years Lamar will not be in the SLC.

Cards R Us
02-06-2011, 09:20 PM
I think the intent of this thread has taken a left hand turn.

SHOULD Lamar go to the WAC? OF COURSE THEY SHOULD...if the offer was seriously on the table and the school had the ability to make the leap and had all of the necessary NCAA regulations met to jump to FBS.

CAN Lamar go to the WAC? UNLIKELY...right now the offer to join the WAC (if there is one) is shaky at best. The school is not ready for the jump. The facilities, coaches, budgets, scholarships, etc. are no where near where they need to be to be competitive in the WAC (even the depleted WAC without Boise and Hawaii).

CardAmbassador
02-06-2011, 11:53 PM
Cards R Us wrote:

I think the intent of this thread has taken a left hand turn.

SHOULD Lamar go to the WAC? OF COURSE THEY SHOULD...if the offer was seriously on the table and the school had the ability to make the leap and had all of the necessary NCAA regulations met to jump to FBS.

CAN Lamar go to the WAC? UNLIKELY...right now the offer to join the WAC (if there is one) is shaky at best. The school is not ready for the jump. The facilities, coaches, budgets, scholarships, etc. are no where near where they need to be to be competitive in the WAC (even the depleted WAC without Boise and Hawaii).

I feel pretty confident through what I have heard in person that Lamar has been offered an invite. I'm not worried about the invite, it's there.

Lamar turning down the invite due to the reasons you listed, that is what I believe has either already happened, or will happen.

Maybe LU told Benson they would join if offered next year. Doubtful there will be a spot next year, but I think that is what may happen.

bigred360
02-07-2011, 12:39 PM
I appreciate all the updates on this topic from the ADMIN, coachacola, CardinalClaw, CardAmbassador, Cards R Us and anyone I may have left behind.

I'm not a lawyer so I don't know it this is a possibility but I'll throw it out anyway.

Can the administration go to the students for another vote on additional fees? Something like a campus improvement campaign that would include athletic facilities and giving the sororities and fraternities land and build them housing on campus. I don't know how many we are talking about but it is probaby 10 or more. Give each group $100,000 to build on campus and any additional expense would come from them.

I would go to the students with a $10 per credit hr fee for this improvement project and the the people who care the most and the least about this will vote. Those that care most will win the vote.

Most of us on here are alumni so the fee increase will only effect the students and their parents.

If they what to experience a top level college experience they will vote to pay the additional fees. If not, and there aren't alumni with deep pocket out there ready to write a check for a few million I'm not sure we can fund everything needed to be competitive in a FBS conference.

If this were legal we can be talking about an additional $1.3 million in fees each semester using credit hrs from 2008 and as we all know there has been an increase in the student population since then.

I would also have it mandatory for all freshman to live on campus. I think this could change the culture of Lamar University and if Dr. Simmons could get private investors to bring business to a 15 to 17 thousand student campus. Then add a few phases of Cardinal Village, Lamar would be a much different campus and not look at as a commuter school.

Also, if we could get into a mid-major FBS conference then this will bring in additional monies to the university.

Just a few random thoughts.

LU Lurker
02-07-2011, 12:43 PM
This is totally off the subject but 360, I wish Lamar wouldve built the Montagne Center where McDonald Gym sits. I think this woulve changed the student participation at games.

I also think Provost Umphrey would be much better if located around Vincent-Beck and golf range. The refinery background really stinks.......no pun intended.

bigred360
02-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Agree with all the above but I guess the administration back in the 1960's and 1980's didn't plan the location of the athletic facilities very well.

We are kind of stuck with where things are now due to just spending about $30 million on the renovation of Provost-Umphrey and the athletic complex.

If there were a need for a new construction instead of a renovation we're probably talking about an additional $10 million.

So, if Lamar were to ever gets to the point of wanting a few football stadium and athletic complex and be competitive in a FBS conference you could look to UNT and how much they are spending on their new complex. It is a lot!

I definitely agree about student participation if the Montagne Center was where McDonald Gym is.

The volleyball team gets great support at their home games!

CardinalClaw
02-07-2011, 02:17 PM
360 I think finding a way to giving the sororities and fraternities money to build on campus is a great idea an something I wish Dr. Simmons would look into doing. It would defiantly improve the collage experience on campus.

coachacola
02-07-2011, 03:58 PM
I heard on Tidwell's radio show that he's got some ideas about building a wall behind the stadium. It's something they are definitely looking into since they can't move the stadium or arena. Lamar is built on an old tank farm so it started out in a bad part of town and that's where it'll stay.

I also looked at the latest board or regents meeting notes from November and Lamar is raising tuition and other fees this coming fall. And since the football fee just kicked in last year I doubt the students would be in a mood for another fee increase.

bigred360
02-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Thanks for both of your responses. They have to find a way to get students involved in the athletic programs and IMO the sororities and fraternities are the students that have the biggest influence on campus. Coachacola, I didn't realize tuition is going up at Lamar. You are problem right about another fee right now.

Things haven't been the same since they were kicked off campus (housing) and those houses were an eye sore anyway.

I just got back from our first spring (winter) practice and got a walk thru the athletic complex. Wow, there can't be a better facility in the SLC.

The team was just in helmets, T-shirts and shorts so it was hard to really tell how good are bad they were doing.

Offensively everything was ran either out of the shotgun (sprend) or the pistol. I love it. I brought up the pistol on the region board and a couple of guys were laughing. Asking who was going to be the new OC to run that offense. I guess we'll see who has the last laugh here. ;)

They were running a lot of option plays from both the shotgun and the pistol.

Some of us have been talking about Billy Chavis moving to defense. Well, he is still at TE for the moment.

The QB competition is going to be great as they all can throw well but Johnson can really fly.

On defense Blake Chavis really caught my attention as it is hard to really shine in a T-shirt and shorts on defense but he is definitely bigger than he was last year.

For some reason Coleman didn't work out today but it didn't appear to be anything serious as he was walking around fine.

Finally, the competition at PK is going to be pretty good. I think Stout has the stronger leg but the transfer from Navarro will push him as they both hit from forty yards.

CardAmbassador
02-07-2011, 05:24 PM
coachacola wrote:

I heard on Tidwell's radio show that he's got some ideas about building a wall behind the stadium. It's something they are definitely looking into since they can't move the stadium or arena. Lamar is built on an old tank farm so it started out in a bad part of town and that's where it'll stay.

I also looked at the latest board or regents meeting notes from November and Lamar is raising tuition and other fees this coming fall. And since the football fee just kicked in last year I doubt the students would be in a mood for another fee increase.

It's unfortunate that the state is forcing us into this position. Perry had almost $10 billion sitting in a rainy day fund and he wants to cut $5 billion from primary education and reduce higher ed spending to. I think all the Texas schools are raising tuition.

About the frat/sorority idea:

For the reasons stated above alone I don't think something like that would fly. The money could come from general purpose funds but I doubt non frat/sorority students would be thrilled about having to pay for someones house.

The administration needs to pick out a plot of land near the University and designate it as a Greek row area. Then frat/sorority alums could pitch in money to start buying up the land and constructing on it. There are a few frat houses right now, and zero sorority houses.

CardAmbassador
02-07-2011, 05:25 PM
One of my friends who is in a sorority told me that they couldn't buy a house until all of the sororities were at full membership, it had something to do with an unfair recruiting advantage.

CardAmbassador
02-07-2011, 05:29 PM
bigred360 wrote:

Thanks for both of your responses. They have to find a way to get students involved in the athletic programs and IMO the sororities and fraternities are the students that have the biggest influence on campus. Coachacola, I didn't realize tuition is going up at Lamar. You are problem right about another fee right now.

Things haven't been the same since they were kicked off campus (housing) and those houses were an eye sore anyway.

I just got back from our first spring (winter) practice and got a walk thru the athletic complex. Wow, there can't be a better facility in the SLC.

The team was just in helmets, T-shirts and shorts so it was hard to really tell how good are bad they were doing.

Offensively everything was ran either out of the shotgun (sprend) or the pistol. I love it. I brought up the pistol on the region board and a couple of guys were laughing. Asking who was going to be the new OC to run that offense. I guess we'll see who has the last laugh here. ;)

They were running a lot of option plays from both the shotgun and the pistol.

Some of us have been talking about Billy Chavis moving to defense. Well, he is still at TE for the moment.

The QB competition is going to be great as they all can throw well but Johnson can really fly.

On defense Blake Chavis really caught my attention as it is hard to really shine in a T-shirt and shorts on defense but he is definitely bigger than he was last year.

For some reason Coleman didn't work out today but it didn't appear to be anything serious as he was walking around fine.

Finally, the competition at PK is going to be pretty good. I think Stout has the stronger leg but the transfer from Navarro will push him as they both hit from forty yards.

Thanks for the update, did you find out when full pads practices will be held?

Chavis needs to go back to defense, the few times he was thrown to last year he didn't do too much. We have 3 other players at the TE position that can step up to fill that position.

bigred360
02-07-2011, 05:40 PM
CardAmbassador, to be honest I was too much in awe of the athletic complex that I forgot to ask Coach McGallion when they were going to put on the pads.

But, this will answer your question and a few more.

http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/

CardAmbassador
02-07-2011, 06:08 PM
bigred360 wrote:

CardAmbassador, to be honest I was too much in awe of the athletic complex that I forgot to ask Coach McGallion when they were going to put on the pads.

But, this will answer your question and a few more.

http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/

That helped quite a bit, I know Prewitt stepped up for us in a big way at the end of the season but I still see the depth chart going like this:

1. JJ
2. K Smith
3. Prewitt (if Prewitt was 6-5 instead of 5-11 I would swap him with Smith but it's really hard to be effective at QB in college at 5-11)

When the big boy from Nederland gets here he will likely fall into place at no. 4 and hopefully decide to switch positions. Forney could play TE or linebacker if he gets a bit quicker.

LU4LIFE
02-07-2011, 06:19 PM
I honestly think that LAMAR would like to go head and join the SLC this upcoming season so that the seniors on the team would have one season to compete for something, and then make a announcement after the season about switching conferences. I don't think that to many of the senior player would like that they came to LAMAR and used their last years of eligibility to compete for nothing.(IMO)

bigred360
02-07-2011, 06:23 PM
I know a lot of people will think I'm crazy but Forney is 6-5, 250. Look at his HS numbers and he just ain't a college QB. Coach Woodard has to tell the kid he "could" have a shot at the next level as a DT or NT, red-shirt him and put 50 pounds on that 6-5 frame and he could be something special at that position.

He played some TE in High School but I don't recall him putting up big numbers and we just recruited two TE's.

There is a Top 25 FBS school that recruits TE's in high school and converts them to O-lineman. I can't remember the school right now but a lot of times kids change positions in college. However, I have to admit I have never heard of a QB being moved to the D-line.

Just my opinion. Either way I hope he is a hard worker!

CardinalClaw
02-07-2011, 06:42 PM
LU4LIFE wrote:

I honestly think that LAMAR would like to go head and join the SLC this upcoming season so that the seniors on the team would have one season to compete for something, and then make a announcement after the season about switching conferences. I don't think that to many of the senior player would like that they came to LAMAR and used their last years of eligibility to compete for nothing.(IMO)

That is a interesting point of view, you could say the same thing about the juniors too.

CardAmbassador
02-07-2011, 06:54 PM
bigred360 wrote:

I know a lot of people will think I'm crazy but Forney is 6-5, 250. Look at his HS numbers and he just ain't a college QB. Coach Woodard has to tell the kid he "could" have a shot at the next level as a DT or NT, red-shirt him and put 50 pounds on that 6-5 frame and he could be something special at that position.

He played some TE in High School but I don't recall him putting up big numbers and we just recruited two TE's.

There is a Top 25 FBS school that recruits TE's in high school and converts them to O-lineman. I can't remember the school right now but a lot of times kids change positions in college. However, I have to admit I have never heard of a QB being moved to the D-line.

I didn't say D-line I said linebacker. I don't know how fast he is but I think if he sheds 10 or 15 pounds he could be a beast at Middle line backer.

LU4LIFE
02-20-2011, 10:50 PM
According to a Admin on a Texas State message board a WAC official told a source last week that the conference is looking to add Lamar, Seattle and Utah Valley St. in another wave of expansion.

http://bobcatreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=542&sid=03cb4d6b99898d3f63b6421ea4b83e58

CardAmbassador
02-20-2011, 11:32 PM
LU4LIFE wrote:

According to a Admin on a Texas State message board a WAC official told a source last week that the conference is looking to add Lamar, Seattle and Utah Valley St. in another wave of expansion.

http://bobcatreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=542&sid=03cb4d6b99898d3f63b6421ea4b83e58

Neat, I'm pretty sure the WAC wants us. My biggest concern is the budget. I know Lamar can afford it but do they want to? I think Dr. Simmons has a tough decision to make because the budget situation in Texas is not good at the moment.

CardinalClaw
02-21-2011, 12:04 AM
CardAmbassador wrote:

LU4LIFE wrote:

Neat, I'm pretty sure the WAC wants us. My biggest concern is the budget. I know Lamar can afford it but do they want to? I think Dr. Simmons has a tough decision to make because the budget situation in Texas is not good at the moment.

I thought that in Texas college athletics did not get funds from the state, if that is true (if that isn't true please let me know)then would the state budget problems really effect the athletic side of the university. If we were to consider making a move to the WAC increasing the athletic budget would defiantly be a topic that needs to be talked about

lcm2007ms
02-21-2011, 07:38 AM
bigred360 wrote:

I believe DE was his original position before he moved to QB at Nederland so I see no reason why he can't go back. He has the build for it and I think it's his natural position.

CardAmbassador
02-21-2011, 07:39 AM
CardinalClaw wrote:

CardAmbassador wrote:

LU4LIFE wrote:

I thought that in Texas college athletics did not get funds from the state, if that is true (if that isn't true please let me know)then would the state budget problems really effect the athletic side of the university. If we were to consider making a move to the WAC increasing the athletic budget would defiantly be a topic that needs to be talked about

You are right state funds do not directly fund athletics. But think of university funding as a giant box, money comes in from various sources: Taxpayers, Tuition and Fees, Grants and Alumni.

Now when funding from one of those sources stops up it can affect other things. The athletic department gets direct funding from the university through what is called "institutional support" this is basically university revenue, that money doesn't have to go to athletics (some of it does if it's earmarked endowment funds but not all of it). So when the state tightens its belt it can indirectly affect sports because the university might have to take some of the sports funding (that comes from general alumni support, and tuition and fees) and put it into paying teacher salaries and so forth.

Note:I'm not talking about athletic fees, that money always goes to the athletic department.

I don't know what Lamar is going to do, but there is less money in that giant box once the legislature gets done with their current session.

coachacola
02-21-2011, 07:44 AM
I hope Lamar doesn't blow this chance to join the WAC because it's not guaranteed that they'll get another chance. My hope is that Dr. Simmons has lined up a few big donors that will help out with this move. Going FBS should get people excited and bring in more donations and ticket sales. We should find out in the next month or two, or at least I hope so.

CardAmbassador
02-21-2011, 09:57 AM
coachacola wrote:

I hope Lamar doesn't blow this chance to join the WAC because it's not guaranteed that they'll get another chance. My hope is that Dr. Simmons has lined up a few big donors that will help out with this move. Going FBS should get people excited and bring in more donations and ticket sales. We should find out in the next month or two, or at least I hope so.

I completely agree, I think they are working very hard to make sure they can move to the WAC. I would think that Simmons, Tubbs and Tidwell know that an offer like this doesn't come around every day.

Fingers Crossed.

CardinalClaw
02-21-2011, 05:44 PM
This is a posts on setxsports from the admin at bobcatreporter.com

Hey guys -

I'm the site admin at BR. I've known about your candidacy since the Dallas meetings. Your reps met Benson informally and started a dialogue very quietly. My source had never heard of your school and walked away impressed. They like how Lamar handles their business and the potential of the Triangle as a DMA viewing area and the fertile recruiting ground us Texans know of already.

What I have been told is that your school was very cautious and really thought this through, and an invite is imminent. The administration didn't want people making decisions for them outside the program via the media. The other big thing I have heard is that maybe you will not accept immediately if you don't feel you are ready.

You can come BS with us at bobcatreport.com about it and I promise to tell you guys if I hear anything at your site.

Thanks,

Jack

LU4LIFE
02-21-2011, 06:17 PM
I guess in a little over a month we will know if there is any truth to this.

CardAmbassador
02-21-2011, 06:19 PM
CardinalClaw wrote:

This is a posts on setxsports from the admin at bobcatreporter.com

Hey guys -

I'm the site admin at BR. I've known about your candidacy since the Dallas meetings. Your reps met Benson informally and started a dialogue very quietly. My source had never heard of your school and walked away impressed. They like how Lamar handles their business and the potential of the Triangle as a DMA viewing area and the fertile recruiting ground us Texans know of already.

What I have been told is that your school was very cautious and really thought this through, and an invite is imminent. The administration didn't want people making decisions for them outside the program via the media. The other big thing I have heard is that maybe you will not accept immediately if you don't feel you are ready.

You can come BS with us at bobcatreport.com about it and I promise to tell you guys if I hear anything at your site.

Thanks,

Jack

Thanks for info, I do hope Lamar accepts, it would be quite amazing. I guess we just have to wait and see. I think if we don't hear anything by June then it's over. There is a possibility of a delayed entrance too. I could see Lamar being much more receptive to a 2013 invite.

LU4LIFE
02-21-2011, 06:32 PM
Me personally I would favor a 2013 invite, but if it is a 2012 or nothing invite well then lets go.

Mike
02-22-2011, 11:08 AM
another discussion about LU to WAC on the WAC scout site. It's just an extension from the bobcatreport.com report but if true the WAC East would be:

LAMAR
Texas State
UTSA
Louisiana Tech
New Mexico State
Denver *non football*

CardAmbassador
02-22-2011, 11:24 AM
ADMIN wrote:

another discussion about LU to WAC on the WAC scout site. It's just an extension from the bobcatreport.com report but if true the WAC East would be:

LAMAR
Texas State
UTSA
Louisiana Tech
New Mexico State
Denver *non football*

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=451&f=2368&t=7223600

bigred360
02-22-2011, 12:39 PM
Need a least one more school football member. If not, there will only be 4 football games in the East division of conference in the WAC.

LU4LIFE
02-24-2011, 10:24 AM
This is the topic on the WAC message board

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=451&f=2368&t=7234229

coachacola
02-24-2011, 10:28 AM
I made a long post over there stating that Lamar prefers to be in the Sun Belt, and unless a lot of big donors tell Dr. Simmons not to do it, then Lamar will join the WAC if there's no openings in the Sun Belt.

LU4LIFE
02-24-2011, 10:45 AM
A big thing on that board is the media silence LAMAR has on a possible move to the WAC. IMO I think there is no reason for Dr. Simmons to start a buzz about this possible move when your not 100% sure you will get a invite. I believe if the WAC was to invite LAMAR we would except.

CardAmbassador
02-24-2011, 10:54 AM
I read the entire WAC board discusion.

I'm not sure if we are screwing our selves or not, if we hold out and get an invite from the sun belt then everyone will call Simmons a genius. If we don't get that invite and we pass up the WAC though I know many will be upset.

All of my doubt about our decline of an invite is just speculation, although it's built on solid reasoning.

Here is the Bobcatreport.com discussion thread that I have going with Jack. I have asked him if he has heard anything about us delaying our join date by one year. We're still waiting on an answer.

http://bobcatreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=542&p=6276#p6276

CardinalClaw
02-24-2011, 12:51 PM
If it came down to the WAC or the SunBelt, I would rather join the WAC.(If invites were extended from both conferences) I feel the WAC is a better conference then the SBC in more sports then just football, but not by a huge margin. There are great schools in the SBC, so I am not bashing any of those schools. Plus the WAC name carries more water if you know what I mean. Even with the departures of their big school Boise, Nevada, Hawaii, and Fresno.

PNG1992
02-24-2011, 01:59 PM
nice read, thanks for posting.

Theres still a lot of smoke around Lamar/WAC but the folks we've spoken too around a few weeks ago said "they doubt" it happens this year. Again, this could just have been a smoke screen but that's what was said.

Since that time more and more news about Lamar/WAC has been popping up on sites like the WAC Scout site. Who knows what'a really going on but IMO I hope we make the jump if offered.

LU Cardinal
02-24-2011, 02:37 PM
I think if an invite is really there that Lamar has to strongly consider taking it. The WAC even with the defections is a superior conference to the SLC. The growing pains in football may be tougher but I'd be willing roll with it.

CardAmbassador
02-24-2011, 04:51 PM
LU Cardinal wrote:

I think if an invite is really there that Lamar has to strongly consider taking it. The WAC even with the defections is a superior conference to the SLC. The growing pains in football may be tougher but I'd be willing roll with it.

Playing Devil's Advocate: Will the average fan be willing to roll with it?

I'm confident Simmons is strongly considering all options.

CardinalClaw
02-24-2011, 05:59 PM
I think they will depending on how LAMAR performs. If we are getting blown out game after game then no, but if we are somewhat competitive then yes. That also depends on how long it would take to be competitive. A person can only take so much losing, hints the basketball team. If we did lose some fan support it will come back once we get things on track, that just the way this area works.

CardAmbassador
02-24-2011, 09:13 PM
CardinalClaw wrote:

I think they will depending on how LAMAR performs. If we are getting blown out game after game then no, but if we are somewhat competitive then yes. That also depends on how long it would take to be competitive. A person can only take so much losing, hints the basketball team. If we did lose some fan support it will come back once we get things on track, that just the way this area works.

Agree, and I think that is the way most fans work with smaller programs. Unless you have a long history of success, at the first sign of failure you're not going to have alot of loyalty to the program.

LU4LIFE
02-24-2011, 09:41 PM
I think that people will understand that if LAMAR was to move to the WAC it will be rough at first, but I agree that if LAMAR was to go a long period of time without being competitive you would see a drop off in attendance. What it all boils down to is winning puts fans in the stands.

coachacola
02-24-2011, 09:45 PM
At this point I think there's a 50/50 chance Lamar will join the WAC. Lamar probably will have the smallest budget in the WAC so that has to be a concern. I think they are hoping the Sun Belt loses some teams so they invite Lamar. I doubt that happens so I guess we'll see what happens in the next month or two.

LU4LIFE
02-24-2011, 09:48 PM
I sure hope that LAMAR doesn't pass on a invite to the WAC for hopes and dream of getting one from the SBC.

coachacola
02-24-2011, 09:52 PM
I agree, I think it would be a big mistake. I still think that Simmons and Tubbs have wanted to go FBS since they've been here. My fear is that the big donors will get cold feet and talk them out of it.

LU4LIFE
02-24-2011, 09:55 PM
Well all I got to say is Simmons and Tubbs better go get them some socks with built in heaters. :laugh:

CardinalClaw
02-24-2011, 10:01 PM
I'm sure if Simmons tells them that it will be ok they will trust him an still donate.

coachacola
02-25-2011, 03:52 PM
Rumors of Lamar joining the WAC is causing quite the stir on the WAC Message board!

http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=451&f=2368

CardAmbassador
02-25-2011, 05:11 PM
coachacola wrote:

Rumors of Lamar joining the WAC is causing quite the stir on the WAC Message board!

http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=451&f=2368

I'll say this the remaining WAC is nothing to get cracked up over. They weren't the teams that made the WAC a big name. When was the last time you heard someone talk about Idaho football? The only school that should be slightly upset is Utah State, they're pretty good in basketball and they are well known enough to be else where. Besides Utah State the rest of them have nothing going for them.

LU Cardinal
02-25-2011, 05:55 PM
A couple of those guys didn't have anything nice to say about Lamar or our area.

jdcurran235
02-25-2011, 06:12 PM
Most peoples opinions about our area is out of ignorance. When you tell people that LU is in a metro of 388K and that we have the best attendance record in the SLC, some people will change thier tune. But Beaumont as a whole has a bad rep. Some of what people say is fair and some is not. The best thing we can do for LU is to counteract the ignorance with fact. The truth is we are a good fit for the WAC whether people know it or not. La Tech is in no way better aligned for FBS play than we are except that they have been there longer. JMO

LU4LIFE
02-25-2011, 06:14 PM
jdcurran235 wrote:

Most peoples opinions about our area is out of ignorance. When you tell people that LU is in a metro of 388K and that we have the best attendance record in the SLC, some people will change thier tune. But Beaumont as a whole has a bad rep. Some of what people say is fair and some is not. The best thing we can do for LU is to counteract the ignorance with fact. The truth is we are a good fit for the WAC whether people know it or not. La Tech is in no way better aligned for FBS play than we are except that they have been there longer. JMO

I agree 100% with you.

CardinalClaw
02-25-2011, 06:17 PM
This is something small but the Golden Triangle area has a population a little under 500,000 according to the 2010 cencus.

CardinalClaw
02-25-2011, 06:26 PM
I want to know why so many people on the WAC board talk crap about LAMAR's name, they act like it's the only university in the world that is named after someone an not a state.

CardAmbassador
02-25-2011, 06:31 PM
jdcurran235 wrote:

What's up Justin, I'm glad you made an account over here.

(it's Tommy)

bigred360
02-25-2011, 06:55 PM
Most of the negative posts I read were from a Boise State fan with the username ianforheisman which is stupid. Ian Johnson for the Heisman Trophy? Really, that is all I need to know about the guy to know his comments are out of ignorance.

Why is a Boise State fan worried about who the WAC invites? Weird!

PNG1992
02-25-2011, 07:06 PM
I dont think LU is screwing themselves out of an invite, none of us even know if there's one on the table.

CardAmbassador
02-25-2011, 07:09 PM
PNG1992 wrote:

I dont think LU is screwing themselves out of an invite, none of us even know if there's one on the table.

True. Although I think there is, it's largely based on assumptions and circumstantial evidence.

Even if we did reject, it would ultimately be Jimmy Simmons decision. And J. Simmons is one person I respect enough not to question his decision making.

PNG1992
02-25-2011, 07:19 PM
BTW I want to thank you guys that put bigredinsider.com in your signatures on those other fan forums. I think its generated some new traffic on our site.

bigred360
02-25-2011, 07:20 PM
I have zero inside information but where there is smoke, there is usually fire. ;)

jdcurran235
02-25-2011, 08:06 PM
they are doing a vote on the WAC board about whether they should or should not invite LU. It looks like it is about 50/50. Probably texas versus the west if I had to guess.

CardAmbassador
02-25-2011, 08:11 PM
jdcurran235 wrote:

they are doing a vote on the WAC board about whether they should or should not invite LU. It looks like it is about 50/50. Probably texas versus the west if I had to guess.

http://bigredinsider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=125&func=view&catid=5&id=6840

Here is the poll thread we started.

I agree, I think it's mostly Texas vs. the west. It's funny. I'm 100% sure if it was SHSU and not TxST fans then we would be seeing a different story.

I voted over there. I think there are some more level headed fans of alot of the remaining WAC schools that think Lamar is actually a good decision.

bigred360
02-25-2011, 08:51 PM
I voted too and there were just a few posters that were very negative toward Lamar University and most of them are individuals who support schools that will be no longer in the WAC.

A couple of you guys made some great post!

jdcurran235
02-25-2011, 10:10 PM
Does anyone know the exact circumstances when we left the SBC orignally. Where we asked to leave, or did we ask to leave? Money? etc.

CardAmbassador
02-25-2011, 10:13 PM
jdcurran235 wrote:

Does anyone know the exact circumstances when we left the SBC orignally. Where we asked to leave, or did we ask to leave? Money? etc.

I would imagine coachacola knows the answer to this one.

bigred360
02-25-2011, 10:21 PM
I believe it was one to cut travel cost and two alumni were told there would be a better possibility to renew our football program in the SLC. Finally, we were told we would be more competitive in all our sports in the SLC.

As you see by the MBB program that wasn't true.

No, we were no asked to leave the Sun Belt.

jdcurran235
02-25-2011, 10:47 PM
Hopefulle coach has more detail

Adams
02-26-2011, 07:27 AM
I was surprised to hear that Lamar might get an invite to the WAC but man would it be huge for them and the city of Beaumont.
What a boost it would be for Lamar University to be an FBS school. I really hope it happens.

CardAmbassador
02-26-2011, 08:39 AM
Adams wrote:

I was surprised to hear that Lamar might get an invite to the WAC but man would it be huge for them and the city of Beaumont.
What a boost it would be for Lamar University to be an FBS school. I really hope it happens.

Even if the WAC deal doesn't happen. Lamar will still try and find a way to FBS over the next couple of years. I think with the amount of movement we could see in certain conferences there is a pretty good possibility it will happen.

bigred360
02-26-2011, 09:04 AM
I know Dr. Simmons, Coach Tidwell, Coach Tubbs and other administrators at Lamar will make the right decision about the WAC. I know there have been some communication because Frank Messina a bigtime donor to Lamar athletics and a former LU athlete called one of Coach Tidwell's shows and asked him point blank if they were in talks with the WAC. Coach Tidwell responded, "Now you've put me on the hot seat with that question. I'll have to respectfully say no comment at this time."

http://www.corporationwiki.com/Texas/Beaumont/messina-s-liquors-inc/31345539.aspx

The leadership at Lamar will make the move to FBS when the right situation occurs and it maybe the WAC. However, it they don't accept a bid (or one isn't offered at this time)I still see Lamar leaving the SLC within the next 5 years.

CardAmbassador
02-26-2011, 04:46 PM
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=451&f=2368&t=7241110&p=2

There is only one TSU guy insulting Lamar over there but he is citing some questionable data and he wont post his source.

I called him out on it.

bigred360
02-26-2011, 04:57 PM
You are the Man! ;)

CardinalClaw
02-26-2011, 05:01 PM
Both of you are really giving it to them over on that board. Keep it up, most of those guy don't know what they are talking about.

CardAmbassador
02-26-2011, 05:07 PM
bigred360 wrote:

You are the Man! ;)

He's off by like 30% on some of his numbers, I really want to see what he is looking at.

CardAmbassador
02-26-2011, 05:20 PM
jdcurran235 wrote:

Coach,

BR360 already answered this but I'm wondering if you have more detail. I'm just making sure you saw it.

coachacola
02-26-2011, 05:25 PM
The post "chrisattsu" also posts on the katfans.com board and also attended San Angelo State so that explains a lot of his bias. But it really doesn't matter much what gets posted over ther because it's not up to them. It's going to be decided first by Dr. Simmons, then if Lamar wants to move forward then it'll be up the the presidents of the WAC schools.

As a side note, here's a nice site to visit: 2010-11 College Salary Report (http://www.payscale.com/best-colleges/top-us-colleges-graduate-salary-statistics.asp)

Lamar graduates are pretty high up on that list, higher than Texas State and UTSA, higher than all the schools in the SLC.

jdcurran235
02-26-2011, 06:05 PM
CA responded to TxCat on scout about how the austin market is all UT and that TxSt will not matter in that market. TxCat responded talking about how there are 100K graduates of TxSt in the Austin Market. I know we have quite a few in the Houston DMA. Does anyone know how this information is looked at. Are there any sort of projections based on this information.

jdcurran235
02-26-2011, 09:43 PM
@CA: you are not giving up on that chris guy over on the scout board.

bigred360
02-26-2011, 09:55 PM
Shoot, my money is on CA as he is amazing with all his knowledge at a young age (younger than 30).

I'm having my own debate with a guy from Boise and they are leaving the WAC for the MWC. :S

CardAmbassador
02-26-2011, 11:51 PM
jdcurran235 wrote:

@CA: you are not giving up on that chris guy over on the scout board.

Nah, he admitted he was wrong. After that admission I ask no more. By pursuing him further I would just look like a jerk. If I accept his apology I look knowledgeable and reasonable, thereby raising my stock with most of the posters over there and hopefully showing them that Lamar is a respectable school.

jdcurran235
02-27-2011, 09:26 AM
It seems as though there are a good chunk of the people over there that respect LU. It is just a few naysayer that make us look bad with false info.

LU4LIFE
02-27-2011, 09:57 PM
Coach Tidwell said on Fox sports edge that a lot of people as of late have been asking him about the WAC, and he said that the WAC hasn't contacted him directly so he can't give a definite yes or a definite no so as of right now we are in the SLC.

jdcurran235
02-27-2011, 10:46 PM
There has been contact with LU and that is for sure. There is to much smoke for it not to be true. The question is do we have an official invite. I am thinking not yet. Maybe not even this year. But there without a doubt has been contact with LU and the WAC. LU likes to do things silently and that is just the way it is.

Jack
03-01-2011, 04:38 PM
Hey guys - greetings from BobcatReport.

Nobody - LU or Benson - will ever even acknowledge official contact unless everyone's ready to go. Why risk it? We were screaming like little kids but we already had the transition planned. Same with the dirty birds.

All I have ever heard is that someone went to Dallas and met some people, and that your administration isn't rushing into anything.

Good luck, and we appreciate the guys that have stopped by our place.

Jack

coachacola
03-01-2011, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the update. Hopefully Lamar doesn't screw this up and pass on joining the WAC.

Mike
03-01-2011, 04:55 PM
Jack wrote:

Nobody - LU or Benson - will ever even acknowledge official contact unless everyone's ready to go. Why risk it? We were screaming like little kids but we already had the transition planned. Same with the dirty birds.

All I have ever heard is that someone went to Dallas and met some people, and that your administration isn't rushing into anything.

Jack

I agree Jack. There's way too much smoke for there to have been no contact. I'm just relaying information from a very reliable source. Personally I'm hoping we end up with you guys in the WAC. Either way I thank you for joining and posting.

CardAmbassador
03-01-2011, 05:27 PM
Jack wrote:

Jack

Thanks for stopping by Jack. :)

Bearkat25
03-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Like I've said on multiple forums you guys are in. I wish you guys the best of luck in the WAC. I’m pretty sure SHSU isn't going but when yall do make the move I’ll be pulling for you guys. I like rooting for the underdogs. Make those WAC board posters eat their words!

coachacola
03-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this already, but here's what Tidwell had to say about the WAC on Fox 4 a few days ago:

The WAC is something everybody continuously asks me about.

At this moment I haven't had any direct (pause) conversations with them. You know, you still hear that we're still out there, we'll see how that plays out.

I can't give you a definite yes, I can't give you a definite no. Right now we're in the Southland Conference and we're happy to be in the Southland Conference.

But again, we'll look to the future as these teams progress. Again, it opened up a great window for us when we added football and brought it back.

He also said they'll be adding softball in the next few years. To me it sounds like they are still seriously thinking about joining the WAC.

Link: Fox 4 Sports Edge (http://setxhomepage.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=130786)

Mike
03-01-2011, 09:20 PM
Bearkat25 wrote:

Like I've said on multiple forums you guys are in. I wish you guys the best of luck in the WAC. I’m pretty sure SHSU isn't going but when yall do make the move I’ll be pulling for you guys. I like rooting for the underdogs. Make those WAC board posters eat their words!

Thanks for the kind words and for joining.

Mike
03-01-2011, 09:20 PM
Bearkat25 wrote:

Thanks for the kind words and for joining.

CardAmbassador
03-02-2011, 09:45 AM
I have thought of another good argument in favor of joining the WAC. Everyone complains about LU's OOC schedule in all the major sports, currently there is grumbling about baseball. Many, like myself don't like that we are playing IWU in football next year, and nearly everyone agrees that basketball's OOC is pathetic.

I think being in the WAC would make other DI schools (FCS and FBS) more willing to play Lamar. Right now we are in the SLC no respect so many schools won't play here either because of the money, facilities or travel. A hieghtend profile in the WAC could fix this.

Either way we need to fix our OOC problems. I see other SLC schools with much stronger OOC schedules, why are we playing these weak teams? Is it money? It seems like we could make more money off pay days against larger schools than home games, I could be wrong though.

oleblu
03-02-2011, 02:17 PM
As a USU football fan I'am hoping that you folks get a WAC invite soon. A 12 school conference with a southwest division would be great. Good luck

CardAmbassador
03-02-2011, 02:26 PM
oleblu wrote:

As a USU football fan I'am hoping that you folks get a WAC invite soon. A 12 school conference with a southwest division would be great. Good luck

I hope we do too, we would really enjoy getting our Basketball program back on track and playing you guys in that sport. Basketball used to be huge here and I understand basketball is the main sport at USU.

CardinalClaw
03-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Yeah USU is ranked in the top 25 this year(23 I believe), it would be nice to play a basketball program like that every year.

jdcurran235
03-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Does anyone know where the all time series stands between La Tech and LU in MBB

bigred360
03-02-2011, 03:36 PM
No, I can't without doing some research but I can tell to La Tech and Karl Malone beat Lamar in the Civic Center to break our 80 game home court winning streak and sending us to the NIT instead of the NCAA because we were 25-3 on the season. Yes, we were in the Top 20 for a few weeks that year.

Then we lost to La Tech and our first round NIT game and ended up at 25-5 for the year.

Lamar won our last meeting with La Tech in the Texas A&M tournament.

All-Time NCAA Home-Court Winning Streak Record
1)129 Kentucky
2) 99 St. Bonaventure
3) 98 UCLA
4) 86 Cincinnati
5) 81 Arizona
6) 81 Marquette
7) 80 Lamar
8) 75 Long Beach State

CardAmbassador
03-02-2011, 04:16 PM
jdcurran235 wrote:

Does anyone know where the all time series stands between La Tech and LU in MBB

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/lama/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/Year-by-Year_Results_1.pdf

This is our year by year history of every team we have played. We have played la Tech 60 times, if you want the W/L record you will have to count it yourself.

bigred360
03-02-2011, 05:00 PM
There is at least one score wrong regarding La Tech and Lamar. The year they knocked us out of the NCAA tournament we lost to them in Ruston by 20 or so. Then on Feb 6th of that year we beat them at home.

Then in the SLC tournament they broke our home court win streak beating us 58-60.

jdcurran235
03-02-2011, 06:15 PM
There is a discussion about the future rivals in the WAC conference. What do you think our rivals would end up being if we joined. The obvious is La Tech. But UTSA is off of I10. That could end up developing into a good rival. Thoughts

bigred360
03-02-2011, 06:55 PM
La Tech, Texas State UTSA and New Mexcio State would be the ones I think would be natural rivals.

CardAmbassador
03-02-2011, 08:27 PM
jdcurran235 wrote:

There is a discussion about the future rivals in the WAC conference. What do you think our rivals would end up being if we joined. The obvious is La Tech. But UTSA is off of I10. That could end up developing into a good rival. Thoughts

Texas State and La Tech. I don't think enough people know about UTSA athletics for them to be considered a rival yet. I would hope that we would continue one rivalry in OOC play: McNeese. I always look forward to those games.

bigred360
03-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Depends on how many OOC games we would have in a FBS conference because you know they are going to schedule money games like A&M and will attempt getting a home game versus another FBS school.

I hope we can keep the rivalry with McNeese but I mainly want out of the SLC. JMO.

CardAmbassador
03-02-2011, 08:50 PM
bigred360 wrote:

Depends on how many OOC games we would have in a FBS conference because you know they are going to schedule money games like A&M and will attempt getting a home game versus another FBS school.

I hope we can keep the rivalry with McNeese but I mainly want out of the SLC. JMO.

Agreed, I hope Benson hears about that exciting LU TxSt game. That was very exciting, I wish every game was like that.

jdcurran235
03-02-2011, 08:50 PM
I don't see us keeping our rivalry with McNeese if we move up. Besides we have a longer history with La Tech. I would rather play them anyway. The bunch of wanna be cajuns!!!

CardAmbassador
03-02-2011, 08:52 PM
jdcurran235 wrote:

I don't see us keeping our rivalry with McNeese if we move up. Besides we have a longer history with La Tech. I would rather play them anyway. The bunch of wanna be cajuns!!!

We have been rivals with McNeese for probably just as long. I'm not saying we have to schedule them in every sport but if we need to schedule an FCS school that's who we should pick first.

jdcurran235
03-02-2011, 09:01 PM
I can go with that

Bearkat25
03-03-2011, 02:37 PM
Hey cards I got bored and decided to put together the new WAC conference with enrollment numbers. After asking around I believe this will be the new WAC conference.
Texas State – 32,572
UTSA – 30,214
San Jose State- Over 30,000
Utah State- 27,767
New Mexico State – 18,497
Lamar – 14,500
Idaho- 12,000
La Tech – 11,804
*Denver – 11,483
*Seattle – 7,751
* Non football playing members.
Note: I am pretty confident that the WAC is looking for one more football playing member to join. For the record let me say that I believe that SHSU is being considered (believe it or not).I’ve heard from many people with credible sources that SHSU could be going as well. Lamar and Seattle will get invites in April and SHSU will join even though we aren’t ready (financially) today.

jdcurran235
03-03-2011, 02:52 PM
I think it is totally possible that SHSU could end up joining and I am not against it. One of the best attended games for LU this year has been with SHSU.

CardinalClaw
03-03-2011, 02:53 PM
Thanks for posting this information Bearkat25, an let us know if you hear anything else about the WAC an SHSU.

bigred360
03-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the info and you never know what is gonna happen in the next month or so. We both could be headed to the WAC, maybe just one school or maybe neither.

Lamar administration has been very tight lipped about this.

However, I know by an article written by Bob West of the PA News that Billy Tubbs was in Dallas at the time of the WAC meetings there.

No, the article did not say anything about the WAC.

CardAmbassador
03-03-2011, 03:10 PM
Bearkat25 wrote:

Hey cards I got bored and decided to put together the new WAC conference with enrollment numbers. After asking around I believe this will be the new WAC conference.
Texas State – 32,572
UTSA – 30,214
San Jose State- Over 30,000
Utah State- 27,767
New Mexico State – 18,497
Lamar – 14,500
Idaho- 12,000
La Tech – 11,804
*Denver – 11,483
*Seattle – 7,751
* Non football playing members.
Note: I am pretty confident that the WAC is looking for one more football playing member to join. For the record let me say that I believe that SHSU is being considered (believe it or not).I’ve heard from many people with credible sources that SHSU could be going as well. Lamar and Seattle will get invites in April and SHSU will join even though we aren’t ready (financially) today.

I remember one of the few disagreeable TxSt posters on the Scout WAC board having an issue with our attendance. I told him we would be bigger than Idaho and La Tech and he didn't think it mattered.

Some people are very stubborn. I too wouldn't mind SHSU in the WAC. I think having a FBS league besides Big XII with a large presence will be good for a TV contract.

CardAmbassador
03-04-2011, 04:18 PM
I know that April 1st has been thrown around as a possible announcement day for a WAC invite. April 1st is a Friday. Does anyone know if there are any WAC meetings around that time? Any knowledge on when the WAC meets would give us a clue about when to look for an announcement.

CardAmbassador
03-04-2011, 04:25 PM
CardAmbassador wrote:

I know that April 1st has been thrown around as a possible announcement day for a WAC invite. April 1st is a Friday. Does anyone know if there are any WAC meetings around that time? Any knowledge on when the WAC meets would give us a clue about when to look for an announcement.

Page 10 kind of addresses this topic.
http://www.wacsports.com/fls/10100/docs/pdfs/2009-10%20Code.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=10100

Any idea on if there was another meeting scheduled after the January one?

coachacola
03-04-2011, 08:40 PM
I think the Idaho AD said in the recent article that they are meeting next Friday to talk about expansion.

Bearkat25
03-04-2011, 09:13 PM
Seattle has been more candid about the WAC as of late. They pretty much know that they are going just waiting for a formal invitation. Its funny how everyone associated with the WAC is hinting towards a 12 team league. I’m starting to believe that it’s only a matter of time until the WAC expands and gets there. You guys have probably already read this article but here you go. The date of the article below is Feb. 21 2011.
Here is the link: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seattleuniversity/2014295291_seattleu22.html

Bearkat25
03-04-2011, 09:17 PM
Like I've said before, I would be really suprised if you guys didn't get the invite. The real question is will you guys accept...

CardAmbassador
03-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Bearkat25 wrote:

Like I've said before, I would be really suprised if you guys didn't get the invite. The real question is will you guys accept...

That's my only concern, I think we will get an invite but I'm not 100% certain we accept. I'm starting to feel better about it but I still don't know for sure.

CardAmbassador
03-05-2011, 11:51 PM
Bearkat25 is saying that Lamar and SHSU will join the WAC for sure. Sounds like he knows something we don't

Here is the thread on scout:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=451&f=2368&t=7249476&p=3

LU4LIFE
03-06-2011, 12:26 AM
CardAmbassador wrote:

Bearkat25 is saying that Lamar and SHSU will join the WAC for sure. Sounds like he knows something we don't

Here is the thread on scout:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=451&f=2368&t=7249476&p=3

I would really like to know who he heard this from and if they are a creditable source.

bigred360
03-06-2011, 05:04 AM
He is a student at SHSU as CA is at Lamar. I highly doubt he has any "inside source" for going to the WAC.

coachacola
03-06-2011, 07:44 AM
I think Bearkat25 was the student president at SHSU a year or two ago. Is that true Bearcat25? If true then he'd probably know some of the right people, similar to the way CardAmbassador rubs elbows with the big wigs at Lamar.

bigred360
03-06-2011, 08:40 AM
Well, my point was although he may be a highly thought of student like CA is at Lamar I doubt anyone would tell him anything directly regarding the WAC. CA is highly thought of student at Lamar and doubt he has got "inside information" about joining the WAC.

I wasn't trying to be a jerk, it's just they aren't telling too many people what is going on right now.

AVItom
03-06-2011, 08:47 AM
I agree. Theres no doubt that there are people at both Universitys that know or have an ideal what is most likely to happen. These people are not talking and keeping it quiet. I doubt a student at any level is in on this information and if he does happen to know the right person and involved in the conversation then Id bet that they would be highly disappointed he was on a internet forum discussing it.

LU Cardinal
03-06-2011, 08:50 AM
I don't care who he is I just hope hes 100% correct. It would be awesome to keep our rivalry with SHSU in conference and it would also help with travel expenses in the WAC having the Bearkats, Bobcats and Roadrunners all in conference. This and renewing our old rivalry with LA Tech sound awesome to me.

coachacola
03-06-2011, 10:09 AM
The new MWC is the old WAC and the new WAC is the old SLC!

PNG1992
03-06-2011, 11:11 AM
coachacola wrote:

Thats true.

I know it'll NEVER happen but how ideal would it be to have a new "SWC" type conference with Lamar included? LU, Texas State, UTSA, UNT, Rice, LA Tech, SHSU & McNeese would be a hell of a fun conference. Again, I KNOW UNT & Rice aren't going anywhere and McNeese hasn't shown interest in being FBS, but from a pure fan perspective this conference would be great.

Can't we dream? ;)

CardAmbassador
03-06-2011, 11:21 AM
PNG1992 wrote:

coachacola wrote:

Thats true.

I know it'll NEVER happen but how ideal would it be to have a new "SWC" type conference with Lamar included? LU, Texas State, UTSA, UNT, Rice, LA Tech, SHSU & McNeese would be a hell of a fun conference. Again, I KNOW UNT & Rice aren't going anywhere and McNeese hasn't shown interest in being FBS, but from a pure fan perspective this conference would be great.

Can't we dream? ;)

I do every day. :laugh:

I agree I think BearKat25 was sometype of student president at SHSU. At Lamar we all know the administration is very tight lipped. I don't really know how SHSU operates. I think it's possible for a student in the right places to have heard something. I work in the Dean's office so I don't get as much inside information as the president's assistant could. The president's assistant was the student who showed me what the new website would look like. Unfortunately all the president's assistants are females and don't know what the WAC or SLC is. Maybe there are students at Lamar that have overheard things but they aren't ivolved enough in this community to know what it means.

I would really like to hear from BK25 about why he is so confident about LU and SHSU, a few days ago he was saying he had no idea if we would accept.

jdcurran235
03-06-2011, 06:54 PM
I really just think he is running his mouth on the scout board to get a rise out of people. Noone is saying anything yet. Noone has even said that April 1 is the official day that an invite is going to happen.

bigred360
03-06-2011, 08:17 PM
JD, I agree with you as a month ago he was posting on katfans trying to get them excited about going FBS. A lot of their alumni are happy as a FCS program.

coachacola
03-06-2011, 10:04 PM
I think the WAC is going for 12 football schools plus Denver and Seattle for all other sports. Someone brought this up on the WAC board and the more I think about it the more it makes sense. For football that's 5 divisional games (not much travel), but for the other sports like basketball that's even more divisional games and that really cuts down travel costs. It also gives the WAC breathing room if schools defect. The only question is what western schools will ultimately join for football?

Bull42
03-07-2011, 05:54 AM
I am a McNeese grad from 1982. You LU fans make me laugh.I hope you remember when you had a football team 20 years ago.I remember you getting beat by everybody.No one came to home games.Losing all the time kept people away.Now you have football back.Now you want to join the WAC.Heck,you cannot even compete in the SLC.You will be at the bottom of the WAC for many Years. You will be every body's homecoming game. I hope you think long and hard about this. You just might be in the same boat again.

coachacola
03-07-2011, 06:55 AM
These kinds of post always comes from fans of schools that know their schools will never have the money to join a FBS conference.

LU Cardinal
03-07-2011, 07:23 AM
Bull42 wrote:

I am a McNeese grad from 1982. You LU fans make me laugh.I hope you remember when you had a football team 20 years ago.I remember you getting beat by everybody.No one came to home games.Losing all the time kept people away.Now you have football back.Now you want to join the WAC.Heck,you cannot even compete in the SLC.You will be at the bottom of the WAC for many Years. You will be every body's homecoming game. I hope you think long and hard about this. You just might be in the same boat again.

See you in Beaumont in a few months Cowboy.

AVItom
03-07-2011, 07:36 AM
Do I detect concern or Jealousy?? Just because McNeece has accepted their fate that the best they will ever be is middle tier in SLC dont mean LU has to follow suite. Id rather be bottom of the barrel in the WAC rather than toddling around the SLC watching the big boys play outside.

CardAmbassador
03-07-2011, 11:59 AM
Bull42 wrote:

Sounds like you're a poor student of history. Just because that happened in the 80's doesn't mean it will happen now. I could list 10 reasons why today's football landscape is completely different than the 80's but I don't really care to because I know you're just trying to stir up trouble with comments like these and as a Cardinal I'm too smart for it cowboy! :laugh:

bigred360
03-07-2011, 02:19 PM
You guys want to keep playing these guys. Talk about living in the past. Wow.

Different day, time and leadership. They will never vote to kill the football program again.

CardAmbassador
03-08-2011, 06:48 PM
There has been alot of talk on the message boards about the WAC wanting to go to 12 - 14 schools. Assuming Seattle and Lamar are added, who can the WAC grab to get to 12 or 14? I don't see very many options out there. That's probably good news, the WAC invite of Lamar if it does come will have alot to do with LU being one of the only Football schools actively pursuing FBS.

coachacola
03-08-2011, 09:39 PM
Update from the San Antonio paper:

That would seemingly leave the FCS, where two Big Sky Conference sources recently told me they’d be somewhere between surprised and shocked if any of its schools left, including Montana and Montana State. Then there’s Lamar, which D.S. said was mentioned only in passing at the San Antonio meeting.

“Lamar was discussed, but the decision was made to hold off on that for now and start with the FBS schools,” D.S. said.

One report indicated that Lamar had some sort of contact with the WAC last fall in Dallas, but that was one thing Benson made a definitive comment on during our conversation. “They did not make any presentation,” he said.

I have no idea if the Western has indeed moved on to Plan B. But Southland commissioner Tom Burnett said Friday that Benson has agreed to notify him if and/or when any of his schools come under serious consideration. While acknowledging anything is possible, he said that has yet to happen.

“No conversation I’ve had (with Benson or any member schools) to any degree makes me believe we’ll have an additional membership issue in the future,” Burnett said. “I qualify that, as always, by saying things could change as soon as tomorrow. But for the time being, Karl hasn’t given me any indication that’s going to happen.”

D.S. also doubts anything conclusive has been decided, with Lamar or anyone else, noting that nothing has been brought to the WAC athletic directors yet.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2011/03/latest-wac-non-news-2/

CardAmbassador
03-08-2011, 10:09 PM
coachacola wrote:

That would seemingly leave the FCS, where two Big Sky Conference sources recently told me they’d be somewhere between surprised and shocked if any of its schools left, including Montana and Montana State. Then there’s Lamar, which D.S. said was mentioned only in passing at the San Antonio meeting.

“Lamar was discussed, but the decision was made to hold off on that for now and start with the FBS schools,” D.S. said.

One report indicated that Lamar had some sort of contact with the WAC last fall in Dallas, but that was one thing Benson made a definitive comment on during our conversation. “They did not make any presentation,” he said.

I have no idea if the Western has indeed moved on to Plan B. But Southland commissioner Tom Burnett said Friday that Benson has agreed to notify him if and/or when any of his schools come under serious consideration. While acknowledging anything is possible, he said that has yet to happen.

“No conversation I’ve had (with Benson or any member schools) to any degree makes me believe we’ll have an additional membership issue in the future,” Burnett said. “I qualify that, as always, by saying things could change as soon as tomorrow. But for the time being, Karl hasn’t given me any indication that’s going to happen.”

D.S. also doubts anything conclusive has been decided, with Lamar or anyone else, noting that nothing has been brought to the WAC athletic directors yet.

How long can Benson wait? It seems like time is running out to add 2012 members when it's March of 2011. Every moment they wait is a moment a FCS school could be preparing to make the transition.

PNG1992
03-09-2011, 06:39 AM
coachacola wrote:

This kind of falls in line with what this site was reporting about the LU/WAC a few weeks ago.

CardAmbassador
03-09-2011, 01:31 PM
PNG1992 wrote:

coachacola wrote:

This kind of falls in line with what this site was reporting about the LU/WAC a few weeks ago.

Yeah, all these updates keep talking about are how no official contact has been made, people would be surprised if so and so left. Basically no one wants to spill the beans until it's a done deal.

bigred360
03-09-2011, 02:19 PM
Sounds like Benson is looking at other FBS school first but I don't see any other takers. There is no way UNT leaves their current conference. I don't see Arkansas jumping to the WAC. Then there is ULL. They are a possible but I doubt they go without another school for travel issues.

I know La Tech is in the conference but they need a couple more schools so there could be a east and west division.

Heck, on the WAC board they are talking about UTA!

CardAmbassador
03-09-2011, 02:38 PM
bigred360 wrote:

Sounds like Benson is looking at other FBS school first but I don't see any other takers. There is no way UNT leaves their current conference. I don't see Arkansas jumping to the WAC. Then there is ULL. They are a possible but I doubt they go without another school for travel issues.

I know La Tech is in the conference but they need a couple more schools so there could be a east and west division.

Heck, on the WAC board they are talking about UTA!

UTA would be a mistake unless they are going to add Football. UTA really hasn't done anything in the SLC, they are the longest SLC member.

ULL would be a possibility but I could honestly see La Tech trying to block something like that. I think Lamar is safe because we're neutral to most people. The western schools don't like our add without something coming in from the west too. Who would be ready for FBS football in the west before Lamar would be ready in the east? Don't see too many options out there. This is the perfect storm for LU to get an FBS invite.

CardAmbassador
03-12-2011, 11:26 AM
Here is an interesting discussion of Lamar Basketball on Scout:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=451&f=2368&t=7297828

You could say we have been 'hungry' for a while to move back to the days when we were a power house program.

bigred360
03-12-2011, 01:03 PM
CardAmbassador wrote:

You could say we have been 'hungry' for a while to move back to the days when we were a power house program.

You might mention the 80 game home court win streak. Beating Alabama who was a Top #25 team by 23 pts. Then lost to Villanova 58-60 or we could have had a second trip to the sweet-sixteen. Lost to Duke in the preseason NIT by 4 points and that Blue Devil team had Johnny Dawkins and won the NCAA title that year.

Lost in the round of the sweet-sixteen by 8 points after leading much of the game versus Clemson or we are in the elite eight facing a young UCLA team who had Larry Brown as their coach. I honestly think that Lamar team with B.B Davis, Alvin Brooks and Mike Olliver (who finished his career as the 15th All-Time leading scorer in NCAA history and that was before the 3 pt shot in college basketball or he would have had probably another 300-400 pts) versus a UCLA team that was young with mainly freshman and sophomores starting LU could have won at got to the final four. They were that good back then.

The late 70's and early 80's were great for Lamar University and I can't tell you how many big-time programs we beat or almost beat. Just thought of another the year we made it to the sweet-sixteen we lost to DePaul in Chicago by 1 point and they were ranked #1 in the country at that time.

We beat Villanova in the Montagne Center the year after they won the National Championship.

CardAmbassador
03-12-2011, 01:29 PM
bigred360 wrote:

CardAmbassador wrote:

You might mention the 80 game home court win streak. Beating Alabama who was a Top #25 team by 23 pts. Then lost to Villanova 58-60 or we could have had a second trip to the sweet-sixteen. Lost to Duke in the preseason NIT by 4 points and that Blue Devil team had Johnny Dawkins and won the NCAA title that year.

Lost in the round of the sweet-sixteen by 8 points after leading much of the game versus Clemson or we are in the elite eight facing a young UCLA team who had Larry Brown as their coach. I honestly think that Lamar team with B.B Davis, Alvin Brooks and Mike Olliver (who finished his career as the 15th All-Time leading scorer in NCAA history and that was before the 3 pt shot in college basketball or he would have had probably another 300-400 pts) versus a UCLA team that was young with mainly freshman and sophomores starting LU could have won at got to the final four. They were that good back then.

The late 70's and early 80's were great for Lamar University and I can't tell you how many big-time programs we beat or almost beat. Just thought of another the year we made it to the sweet-sixteen we lost to DePaul in Chicago by 1 point and they were ranked #1 in the country at that time.

We beat Villanova in the Montagne Center the year after they won the National Championship.

Wow, how far we have fallen, it seemse like we would have at least managed to stay a top 100 team after all that, what a shame. Time to get this next coaching hire right, move to the WAC and reestablish Lamar Basketball!

LU4LIFE
03-12-2011, 01:37 PM
Unless Lamar wants to see this program hit rock bottom they better make sure that the next coaching hire is the right one. I agree with you CA it is a shame how far this program has fallen now we need to do whatever it takes to get it back to where it was.

Crawfish
03-13-2011, 12:46 PM
Guys, I see some down side to this WAC thing that some may not have considered:

Travel will be much more expensive. This will require the Cardinals to play more "body bag" games to pay for travel costs.

The WAC is not real stable right now. Under current NCAA rules, there is a chance they could lose automatic bids for basketball and other sports because of the lack of tenure of members (if it survives). If the Sunbelt Conference invited one of the future WAC schools, the house of cards will collapse. If La. Tech or one of the other Current D1A members leaves, the whole deal collapses. It is no secret that LA. Tech and other current WAC (western) schools have been campaigning for membership in other conferences.

Playing in D1A (FBS?) may sound good, but for a newer program there are some disadvanges such as requiring transfers to sit out 1 season coming. This means that most players will have ot be either high school recruits or JC transfers.

More scholarships to fund will raise costs.

Personally, I would like to see the Cards play in the Southland for a while.

CardAmbassador
03-13-2011, 01:03 PM
Crawfish wrote:

Guys, I see some down side to this WAC thing that some may not have considered:

Travel will be much more expensive. This will require the Cardinals to play more "body bag" games to pay for travel costs.

The WAC is not real stable right now. Under current NCAA rules, there is a chance they could lose automatic bids for basketball and other sports because of the lack of tenure of members (if it survives). If the Sunbelt Conference invited one of the future WAC schools, the house of cards will collapse. If La. Tech or one of the other Current D1A members leaves, the whole deal collapses. It is no secret that LA. Tech and other current WAC (western) schools have been campaigning for membership in other conferences.

Playing in D1A (FBS?) may sound good, but for a newer program there are some disadvanges such as requiring transfers to sit out 1 season coming. This means that most players will have ot be either high school recruits or JC transfers.

More scholarships to fund will raise costs.

Personally, I would like to see the Cards play in the Southland for a while.

Actually everything you have said has been debated over for a while on this topic.

Travel/body bag games: Lamar has already scheduled body bag games at the FCS level see TAMU, Hawaii and OSU games scheduled, so we are playing those games regardless of what conference we play in. Those games currently pay around 300k per since we are a FCS program. If we go FBS we can expect to get around 1 million for games such as those. That type of increase for playing the same games could go a long way to paying for travel. Also the WAC is going to try and go to divisional play to cut down on travel cost it's no secret.

Autobids/Stability: The NCAA has already waived the rules on continuity for the WAC they are doing everything they can to stabilize and protect the WAC. This part is personal opinion but I don't see any WAC schools leaving for the SBC the Sun Belt is not really going anywhere, the new WAC actually has some upside to it. I believe the WAC will rise again to be at least better than the Sun Belt almost immediately after the 2012 season.

Transfers/recruitment: your right transfers from other DI programs would have to sit out a year but relying on DI transfers year after year is no way to build a program any way. HS players are the best thing you can get Juco players are only with you two years so the turn around rate is too high. Don't get me wrong right now we need them, but in the future
I hope that is different.

More Advertising dollars will help offset some cost but your right FBS is more expensive. Lamar will definitely lose money in FBS we already lose money in FCS. But it's not about making money, it's about getting your name on the national level.

Thanks for the post many have brought up these same concerns and some agree with you. I'm just offering you some of the solutions to the problems you presented.

bigred360
03-13-2011, 06:14 PM
Nice post CA but I'm getting a little concerned with Beaumont putting in a bid for hosting the SLC basketball tournament.

I don't think Beaumont makes a bid without talking with Lamar.

I really would like Lamar to go FBS in the near future because for all the points you made and then some.

LU4LIFE
03-13-2011, 07:14 PM
bigred360 wrote:

Nice post CA but I'm getting a little concerned with Beaumont putting in a bid for hosting the SLC basketball tournament.

I don't think Beaumont makes a bid without talking with Lamar.

I really would like Lamar to go FBS in the near future because for all the points you made and then some.

I'm concerned too it just doesn't seem to make sense to me if Lamar wasn't competing for it, but then again it would a good way to draw visitors to Beaumont.

CardAmbassador
03-13-2011, 08:24 PM
See I don't think that Ford Park officials would be told not to apply for the tournament by Lamar officials because then Lamar's intentions would be discovered. I'm going to try and not read too much into the tournament hosting application.

coachacola
03-13-2011, 10:12 PM
Ford Park is probably just bidding for next year and not for all four years.

CardAmbassador
03-14-2011, 08:50 PM
Interesting discussion involving WAC board about BYU. Could possibly affect us down the road. Key word could.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=451&f=2368&t=7311816&p=1

CardAmbassador
03-14-2011, 11:05 PM
The WAC had a meeting last Friday. We didn't hear anything but neither did anyone else. They could have voted on Lamar already and that was why the administration pulled the plug on Roc. You never know, I think they had to decide something at that meeting and it's only a matter of time before we all find out. The WAC is running out of time and Lamar is still here.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=451&f=2368&t=7315607

CardAmbassador
03-15-2011, 10:37 AM
Our friends over at Bobcatreport.com have a thread started on our coaching fire and how that may be related to our WAC candidacy.

Check it out: http://bobcatreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=757

CardAmbassador
03-15-2011, 12:42 PM
CardAmbassador wrote:

The WAC had a meeting last Friday. We didn't hear anything but neither did anyone else. They could have voted on Lamar already and that was why the administration pulled the plug on Roc. You never know, I think they had to decide something at that meeting and it's only a matter of time before we all find out. The WAC is running out of time and Lamar is still here.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=451&f=2368&t=7315607

The more I mull it over in my head the more I think this might be the case. Why did LU wait till Monday to pull the plug on ROC? Alot can be said about Tidwell being out but it's also possible that LU admins were awaiting the results of last Friday's WAC meeting on expansion. Notice how nothing has leaked? LU wouldn't leak this info but another school would have if they were the target of the WAC.

Here is what could have happend. WAC votes friday to add Lamar and some other school in 2012, then the administration realizes they need to get rid of Roc if they are joining the WAC and they make the decision over the weekend to start looking for a WAC worthy replacement. The announcement comes Monday and the fans are non the wiser about why the administration chose monday.

CardAmbassador
03-23-2011, 07:40 PM
There is some discussion on the WAC board about the date that Benson will announce new members of the WAC.

Apparently Villanova is meeting on the 14th of April to determine if they are going to join the Big East for football. This decision will affect many other conferences so we might have to wait till after the 14th to see what the WAC does.

jdcurran235
03-23-2011, 07:43 PM
This timeline does seem to fit with our April 7th hire date. Just a thought.

CardAmbassador
03-23-2011, 07:48 PM
jdcurran235 wrote:

This timeline does seem to fit with our April 7th hire date. Just a thought.

Yes it does.

swtsu85
03-24-2011, 08:23 AM
Bobcat fan here... My initial post with you all.. I just wanted to wish you guys all the best with joining the WAC. I think you will be a fine addition to that conference. Good luck on your BB coaching hire... I'm sure you will hire the right person to lead your program no matter where you are..

CardAmbassador
03-24-2011, 09:01 AM
swtsu85 wrote:

Bobcat fan here... My initial post with you all.. I just wanted to wish you guys all the best with joining the WAC. I think you will be a fine addition to that conference. Good luck on your BB coaching hire... I'm sure you will hire the right person to lead your program no matter where you are..

Thanks 85, sure hope we are in the WAC with you guys next year. Put in a good word for us. ;)

Thanks for joining too. You can catch alot of good info about this weekend's baseball game in the diamond notes section.

jdcurran235
03-25-2011, 01:46 PM
I am a fan of the new software!!!!

CardAmbassador
03-25-2011, 03:46 PM
On another thread Coachacola is reporting that our BobcatReport.com source thinks LU's WAC candidacy will have to wait until vilanova, currently it appears there are no interested FBS candidates for the WAC.

jdcurran235
03-26-2011, 05:51 PM
HawaiiMongoose:
A poster on the Villanova board who claims inside knowledge has finally used the "done deal" words. He says the decision will become official on April 12th. See the post by UncleEd at 9:20 a.m. this morning:

villanova.rivals.com/showmsg.a...id=1000&style=2

Another poster, YoNortorn, claims to be hearing the same thing.

Take this with a grain of salt; after all, in January multiple posters on the USU board were saying Utah State to the MWC was a done deal, but it didn't happen.

There have been many posts on this board about how Villanova moving up could affect the WAC. My guess is that if it happens, the Big East won't raid CUSA, and that will help the WAC because backfilling a spot in CUSA will no longer be a realistic alternative for schools the WAC is trying to attract.

ScreamingDeane
03-26-2011, 06:22 PM
dont hammer me but for my ignorant mind explain if this Villanova thing is good or bad for Lamars chances of being invited to the WAC. I dont get what they have to do with it. Im thinking it has to do with the big east raiding CUSA if Nova doesnt join and that would be bad for Lamar cause the WAC would or could choose a CUSA member over us, is that what this is all about? Nova joining the Big East is good for the LU to WAC chances, right??

LU4LIFE
03-26-2011, 06:28 PM
dont hammer me but for my ignorant mind explain if this Villanova thing is good or bad for Lamars chances of being invited to the WAC. I dont get what they have to do with it. Im thinking it has to do with the big east raiding CUSA if Nova doesnt join and that would be bad for Lamar cause the WAC would or could choose a CUSA member over us, is that what this is all about? Nova joining the Big East is good for the LU to WAC chances, right??

Yes if Nova was to join the Big East it would be good for LU.

ScreamingDeane
03-26-2011, 06:31 PM
thanks lu4life.

LU4LIFE
03-26-2011, 06:33 PM
thanks lu4life.

Your welcome.

CardAmbassador
03-29-2011, 04:43 PM
Update:

I have been keeping my ear to the ground pretty well on the WAC expansion and these are my thoughts:

April 1st is Friday. We have been waiting a long time for this day but I'm pretty confident nothing will be announced then. If LU is going to the WAC it's going to be after the coaching hire the 7th and probably after the Villanova meeting the 14th. So we still have some waiting to do in my opinion.

I hope I'm wrong and we hear something on Friday.

LU4LIFE
03-29-2011, 04:57 PM
I agree with you I don't think that we will hear anything until after Nova makes their decision.

NorthoftheBorder
03-30-2011, 02:31 PM
I went on the WAC board yesterday afternoon and there is still a lot of chatter about Lamar joining. A UTSA guy named BigRunner12 flat out says LU is in. Who really knows I haven't a clue. Makes for good reading if you are interested in LU sports.

CardAmbassador
03-31-2011, 12:01 AM
I went on the WAC board yesterday afternoon and there is still a lot of chatter about Lamar joining. A UTSA guy named BigRunner12 flat out says LU is in. Who really knows I haven't a clue. Makes for good reading if you are interested in LU sports.

I agree that there is a good possibility that Lamar is going to the WAC but Roadrunner doesn't know for sure if Lamar is in, he is just forecasting it.

BTW, that is the same poster that said the WAC will add SHSU, no one that claims to have "in the know" sources has said that. So I take some of the things he says with a grain of salt.

April 1st will yield nothing for us.

jdcurran235
03-31-2011, 12:14 AM
April 1st will yield pranks and jokes. And that is everything!!!

CardAmbassador
03-31-2011, 12:35 AM
April 1st will yield pranks and jokes. And that is everything!!!

I'm sure TT will make an appearance on this very thread with some folly.

jdcurran235
03-31-2011, 12:57 AM
No Doubt

TexasTerror
03-31-2011, 10:14 PM
Sorry Lamar...

Many months ago, the WAC set April 1 as an informal deadline for the next round of expansion.

We are less than 24 hours from April 1, and no news is forthcoming.

Commish Karl Benson just told me that the league won’t issue any invitations tomorrow — but that doesn’t mean the conference alignment is set for 2012-13.

Quite the contrary.

Benson said the athletic directors of the eights schools (five existing plus TSU, UTSA and Denver) will meet in person in early May to hash out the options.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2011/03/31/wac-football-and-basketball-no-expansion-news-yet/

CardAmbassador
03-31-2011, 10:23 PM
Sorry Lamar...

Many months ago, the WAC set April 1 as an informal deadline for the next round of expansion.

We are less than 24 hours from April 1, and no news is forthcoming.

Commish Karl Benson just told me that the league won’t issue any invitations tomorrow — but that doesn’t mean the conference alignment is set for 2012-13.

Quite the contrary.

Benson said the athletic directors of the eights schools (five existing plus TSU, UTSA and Denver) will meet in person in early May to hash out the options.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2011/03/31/wac-football-and-basketball-no-expansion-news-yet/

I'm confused, didn't you read what we posted? Most of us have known for a few weeks now that April 1st would yield nothing for us or anyone for that matter. Oh course you will dodge my remarks like you always do.

coachacola
03-31-2011, 11:16 PM
The end of the article is very interesting and encouraging:

Formal invitations could be issued at that point. The invitees would have to accept by July 1 in order to participate in the WAC in 2012-13.

One last thought:

Multiple sources have told me that major college football officials across the country want the WAC to add teams from the Football Championship Subdivision.

Why? The more FBS teams — there are 120 now, with UTSA and Texas State coming aboard and Villanova likely to join them — the better the chances of filling 70 bowl slots.

This is actually a very encouraging article.

CardAmbassador
04-01-2011, 02:26 AM

Formal invitations could be issued at that point. The invitees would have to accept by July 1 in order to participate in the WAC in 2012-13.

One last thought:

Multiple sources have told me that major college football officials across the country want the WAC to add teams from the Football Championship Subdivision.

Why? The more FBS teams — there are 120 now, with UTSA and Texas State coming aboard and Villanova likely to join them — the better the chances of filling 70 bowl slots.

Hmm, Coach explain the bowl slots to me. Does this mean there are 35 bowls? And how would bringing in more FCS members better the chances of filling 70 slots when there are already 120 FBS teams?

Forgive my ignorance.

lu cards
04-01-2011, 03:28 AM
nothing to be sorry about here.lamar has been the subject of many debates across the college football landscape.ive seen more positive talk about lamar than negative(except for the louisiana tech site).lamar alumns have done a great job of educating people online about all that setx has to offer and most have been impressed with lu.not to mention we now have the most active fan site in the slc.i hope we make the move to fbs but it doesnt have to be this year.lamars plan was to make the move by 2015.if we make the jump prior to 2015 its gravy.i trust simmmons to make the right call.he hasnt been wrong yet.i want to see lamar get mens basketball going in the right direction,start girls softball,update inside of montagne and expand football stadium.once this is done i forsee lamar being able to pick a conference not be picked.with that being said if we get picked we should go.

CardAmbassador
04-01-2011, 03:48 AM
nothing to be sorry about here.lamar has been the subject of many debates across the college football landscape.ive seen more positive talk about lamar than negative(except for the louisiana tech site).lamar alumns have done a great job of educating people online about all that setx has to offer and most have been impressed with lu.not to mention we now have the most active fan site in the slc.i hope we make the move to fbs but it doesnt have to be this year.lamars plan was to make the move by 2015.if we make the jump prior to 2015 its gravy.i trust simmmons to make the right call.he hasnt been wrong yet.i want to see lamar get mens basketball going in the right direction,start girls softball,update inside of montagne and expand football stadium.once this is done i forsee lamar being able to pick a conference not be picked.with that being said if we get picked we should go.

I agree with everything you are saying LUCards. I was just stating I don't understand why the FBS wants more FCS move ups.

We have lots of things going for us:
1. Great leadership, Simmons, Doblin, Mouton, Tidwell and all the VIPs of Lamar are extremely professional and most importantly they have a vision for Lamar. From what I have seen they do a pretty good job communicating that vision to Donors and Alums.
2. Ever increasing enrollment, this will help us in the future as we take more advantage of economies of scale.
3. Football, just getting that back and off the ground was a huge accomplishment and it has yet to pay the dividends I know it will.
4. A recently created athletic fee. With the hire of these new coaches like the strength and condition, Jumps, men's tennis, etc, our athletic department is going to improve regardless of what conference we are in.
5. Increased admission standards. This will improve the student body and therefore the school over the next 4 years as these students are cycled into the student body.
6. Improved campus and surrounding areas.

I'm pretty excited about the future of Lamar regardless of where we end up. What we all need to do is continue to support this university and get others to do the same and we will all be surprised where we end up. :)

NorthoftheBorder
04-01-2011, 01:59 PM
I agree with all you said LUCARDS with one caveat. Lamar does not have the option come 2015 to just say, we are ready so WAC,SunBelt,CUSA you guys take us as members. It doesn't work that way. LU has to be invited. Passing on membership now has risks. You could be on the outside looking in with no options in 2015-2020. I think LU needs to take a WAC offer now. If they get a CUSA offer in say 2017, hey if it is better, you take it. But you don't pass on anything now!

ScreamingDeane
04-01-2011, 02:01 PM
I agree with all you said LUCARDS with one caveat. Lamar does not have the option come 2015 to just say, we are ready so WAC,SunBelt,CUSA you guys take us as members. It doesn't work that way. LU has to be invited. Passing on membership now has risks. You could be on the outside looking in with no options in 2015-2020. I think LU needs to take a WAC offer now. If they get a CUSA offer in say 2017, hey if it is better, you take it. But you don't pass on anything now!

I totally agree North. This was well said. Who knows what the college landscape will be in the future, if the opportunity is there now you must take it. There may not be movement for many years again after this shuffle and LU could be left rotting in the SLC.

coachacola
04-01-2011, 02:05 PM
The deadline is July 1st so if Lamar gets the invite it'll probably happen right before that date. I don't think Lamar will turn down a WAC invite, I just hope they get one. But I think there's still the possibility of some big shakeups that might open up other opportunities. From what I've read what Villanova and the Big East does affects everybody else.

smith
04-01-2011, 06:43 PM

One last thought:

Hmm, Coach explain the bowl slots to me. Does this mean there are 35 bowls? And how would bringing in more FCS members better the chances of filling 70 slots when there are already 120 FBS teams?

Forgive my ignorance.

I think they are trying to get away from the bad press of having a .500 team get a bowl bid. Many people already think there are to many bowl games now as it is. Then to have a 6-6 matchup with somebody else in a lower tier bowl game doesn't look good.

CardAmbassador
04-07-2011, 05:33 PM
http://vuhoops.com/2011/04/07/expansion-apocalypse-what-to-expect-when-you-are-expecting-a-decision/

It looks like Villanova will be playing Big East football if you read this article. I think it's likely to happen as well.

C-USA stays put
SBC stays put or adds one more possibly La Tech
WAC adds LU.

April 12th is the new big day!

NorthoftheBorder
04-07-2011, 06:17 PM
http://vuhoops.com/2011/04/07/expansion-apocalypse-what-to-expect-when-you-are-expecting-a-decision/

It looks like Villanova will be playing Big East football if you read this article. I think it's likely to happen as well.

C-USA stays put
WAC adds LU.

SBC adding LaTech is a problem for the WAC and just adding LU doesn't help. What's up with that. I though LaTech didn't want to be with ULM!

CardAmbassador
04-08-2011, 02:17 AM

C-USA stays put
WAC adds LU.

SBC adding LaTech is a problem for the WAC and just adding LU doesn't help. What's up with that. I though LaTech didn't want to be with ULM!

As fans they don't but it's more compicated than it used to be. Universities make decisions based on money too and La Tech might view a more regional conference as financially more viable.

But your right, 95% of La Tech don't want sun belt, they wan't C-USA. Problem is that will never happen.

TBonesLU
04-08-2011, 03:25 PM

C-USA stays put
WAC adds LU.

As fans they don't but it's more compicated than it used to be. Universities make decisions based on money too and La Tech might view a more regional conference as financially more viable.

But your right, 95% of La Tech don't want sun belt, they wan't C-USA. Problem is that will never happen.

It will never happen...La Tech is not a marketable school to be with the likes of Conference-USA.

CardAmbassador
04-08-2011, 03:54 PM
It will never happen...La Tech is not a marketable school to be with the likes of Conference-USA.

Agreed, C-USA wants schools in large markets, Ruston, LA is not a large market. I never said La Tech could get in though. They could can get into the SBC but they don't like that conference, they're probably stuck in the WAC.

A new article came out today that says the SBC going to 11 is likely not happening.

TexGator
04-08-2011, 04:13 PM
I agree that LaTech isn't much of a draw, in the media-market world, but they are the school people think of when they're thinking about Northern Louisiana.

LaTech wants out of the WAC because they're so far from the rest of the conference... NMSU being their closest rival and Utah St. being next closest. They're losing a LOT of money being in that conference.

"Dropping" to the Sun Belt isn't a big loss of revenue, but is a huge savings considering they can take buses to conference games instead of flying and they're likely to get some opposing fans to actually make the trip to games in Ruston (like used to happen when they were in the Sun Belt from 1991-2001).

I actually miss the Sun Belt and wouldn't cry if we "settled" for that conference.

CardAmbassador
04-08-2011, 04:16 PM
I agree that LaTech isn't much of a draw, in the media-market world, but they are the school people think of when they're thinking about Northern Louisiana.

LaTech wants out of the WAC because they're so far from the rest of the conference... NMSU being their closest rival and Utah St. being next closest. They're losing a LOT of money being in that conference.

"Dropping" to the Sun Belt isn't a big loss of revenue, but is a huge savings considering they can take buses to conference games instead of flying and they're likely to get some opposing fans to actually make the trip to games in Ruston (like used to happen when they were in the Sun Belt from 1991-2001).

I actually miss the Sun Belt and wouldn't cry if we "settled" for that conference.

Texas St and UTSA will be joining in 2012, they're about to have alot more company in the WAC. Also Hawaii, Fresno, Boise, and Utah are all western schools that are leaving. The SBC will still be cheaper on travel but the cost savings of switching will not be significant enough to justify it in my opinion. La Tech hates the thought of being in the same conference as ULM. The WAC is still the stronger basketball conference too.

CardAmbassador
04-11-2011, 12:18 PM
Villanova votes tomorrow on whether to upgrade to FBS Big East football or not.

Things are going to start happening after this vote.

Cardinal Crazy
04-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Not going to be tomorrow CA

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/19127/villanova-delays-vote-on-big-east-football

CardAmbassador
04-11-2011, 03:44 PM
Not going to be tomorrow CA

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/19127/villanova-delays-vote-on-big-east-football

That's depressing. We are going to have to wait forever!!!! I am unsure if the Big East will add any C-USA teams like many are predicting, their last steal was TCU which added value, who are they going to steal from C-USA that comes close to TCU's reputation?

It's the slow time of year around here, this is the hotest topic we have on here now and we have to wait. I can't wait for football season to start again.

coachacola
04-11-2011, 05:14 PM
I'm guessing both Lamar and SHSU will get invited to the WAC in June. The WAC is going to be the new "southwest" conference in a few years. Probably SJSU and Utah State will eventually find new homes in the MWC.

CardAmbassador
04-11-2011, 05:40 PM
I'm guessing both Lamar and SHSU will get invited to the WAC in June. The WAC is going to be the new "southwest" conference in a few years. Probably SJSU and Utah State will eventually find new homes in the MWC.

I'm not as convinced of SHSU possibly going to the WAC as I am about LU, and we all know the level of uncertainty around LU even getting an invite. If we both get invited it unbalances the WAC so a western football school would ned to be added.

I agree that USU and SJSU will eventually find new homes, especially if the WAC goes the FCS move up route.

Bearkat25
04-13-2011, 04:46 PM

I'm not as convinced of SHSU possibly going to the WAC as I am about LU, and we all know the level of uncertainty around LU even getting an invite. If we both get invited it unbalances the WAC so a western football school would ned to be added.

I agree that USU and SJSU will eventually find new homes, especially if the WAC goes the FCS move up route.

I’m not too sure about that. My sources have been confirmed on both sides with this report. I don’t personally know Texas Terror but his sources have been lining up with mine. SHSU also had a football auction where we mapped out the dollar signs for a potential move. Like I told you (CA), my friends who have ties to the WAC said that if the Montana twins say, “NO” again (like they’ve already done) then open the flood gates into Texas expansion. I questioned it at first but now I see it’s a fact. We are trying to reach the 15 million dollar mark by 2013. Why would our AD do that if we wanted to stay in the SLC? Here is TT’s take:
http://bobcatreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=952&start=0

SHSU football auction (Mentions money for potential move):
http://katfans.com/newforum/index.php?topic=1757.0
It’s still a wait and see game…

CardAmbassador
04-13-2011, 05:39 PM

I’m not too sure about that. My sources have been confirmed on both sides with this report. I don’t personally know Texas Terror but his sources have been lining up with mine. SHSU also had a football auction where we mapped out the dollar signs for a potential move. Like I told you (CA), my friends who have ties to the WAC said that if the Montana twins say, “NO” again (like they’ve already done) then open the flood gates into Texas expansion. I questioned it at first but now I see it’s a fact. We are trying to reach the 15 million dollar mark by 2013. Why would our AD do that if we wanted to stay in the SLC? Here is TT’s take:
http://bobcatreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=952&start=0

SHSU football auction (Mentions money for potential move):
http://katfans.com/newforum/index.php?topic=1757.0
It’s still a wait and see game…

I don't doubt that with LU looking seriously at moving up that SHSU is now doing the same. I will say that I think LU is ahead of SHSU on the waiting list. I know coming from me that could sound biased, but as much school pride as I have in LU I don't say that as a cardinal but as a impartial observer. I also know that LU getting into the WAC, amounts to option Z for the WAC. So I am by no means dilusional about where LU stands in this either.

If SHSU is legitimately trying to reach $15 million in their AD by 2013 then I don't doubt a FBS move up is the goal. My concern lies in the western portion of the WAC, and their egos if two more Texas FCS upgrades from the same conference are the next WAC expansion candidates. Keeping the Western portion of the WAC pleased is important, I think since most of the departing members are in the Northwest and there have already been two additions in the South east (Texas) adding more candidates in the southeast might make the western school dissatisfied.

The only positive I see now is that UTSA, TxST, La Tech and NMSU are all in this region of the country and they might be in favor of more regional rivals. Keeping NMSU and La Tech happy is probably even more important than keeping the western schools happy because NMSU and La Tech have far more options to switch conferences than those out west.

For the WAC to remain viable in my amateur opinion they must go to a 12/14 model or something of that sort, this makes scheduling worlds easier and the conference would be very stable.

So there are some positives and negatives in LU and SHSU's favor. Like I have stated on earlier threads I don't have a problem with SHSU wanting to better themselves, after all you guys are in the same system as us. I just view this whole situation as very shaky and I feel like if any FCS upgrades are added in Texas it will be LU first, but you might be right, it could be SHSU and LU.

bigred360
04-13-2011, 06:08 PM
I'm not sure, but isn't there a limition on attendance for football before you can qualify for FBS status? I'm sure Lamar and SHSU would have to address this issue.

Then for Lamar they would have to add an additional women's sport due to the increase of scholarships from 63 to 85.

I want Lamar to go to a FBS conference be that the WAC or Sun Belt but there are some hurdlers to clear first.

CardAmbassador
04-13-2011, 06:12 PM
I'm not sure, but isn't there a limition on attendance for football before you can qualify for FBS status? I'm sure Lamar and SHSU would have to address this issue.

Then for Lamar they would have to add an additional women's sport due to the increase of scholarships from 63 to 85.

I want Lamar to go to a FBS conference be that the WAC or Sun Belt but there are some hurdlers to clear first.

UTSA and TxSt both did not meet the attendance requirement yet they are in. From all that I have read there is virtually no enforcement of this rule.

Softball should take care of the title IX requirement.

bigred360
04-13-2011, 08:09 PM
CA, I PM'd you the link to the football players Lamar is looking at for 2012.

BigRedTrack
04-14-2011, 11:21 PM
I thought that I read in these posts that April 12 was the day of the WAC announcement. Well, obviously that was incorrect. I now believe there is no validity in any of these reports, but is wishful thinking.

CardAmbassador
04-14-2011, 11:49 PM
I thought that I read in these posts that April 12 was the day of the WAC announcement. Well, obviously that was incorrect. I now believe there is no validity in any of these reports, but is wishful thinking.

April 12th was the day that Villanova was going to vote on going FBS. This date was pushed back because the Big East members had reservations about Villanova joining the Big East when they only have the ability to expand their current statdium to around 35k. The Big East average is greater than 50k currently.

Currently there is no date to watch beside June 1st. This is the absolute last day the WAC can invite someone to join for the 2012 Football season.

No body knows what is going to happen with the WAC right now, thats about as much as I can say with certainty.

TexasTerror
04-15-2011, 11:51 AM
These two questions should answer everything you need to know.

Can Lamar and SHSU afford FBS right now? No.
Can Lamar and SHSU afford to pass up the opportunity if invited to FBS now? No.

If either or both institutions get invited - which is something that has been brought up as of late due to the continued rejection by current FBS member institutions of the WAC - our schools will have to accept the invite and do what is necessary to get our house in order so we are competitive as soon as possible.

TexGator
04-15-2011, 12:07 PM

UTSA and TxSt both did not meet the attendance requirement yet they are in. From all that I have read there is virtually no enforcement of this rule.

Softball should take care of the title IX requirement.

There is enforcement of this rule. From my sources, the way they got around it was that they were invited by a conference (not petitioning to join the FBS) AND their season ticket sales were sufficient to warrant an exception.

For LU to hit the number to be seriously considered, they'd need to schedule some "home" games out of Beaumont against some schools that draw well.

Tidwell- if you're reading this, offer gobs of money to TAMU, Okie St., and Baylor to change the games against them to "home-and-'home'" at their venue, Reliant, or Rice Stadium.

Idaho did this for a couple of years by using Washington St.'s stadium for home games... including one against WSU.

Also, it'd require LU to drop another $20M on "The PUS" to expand it to over 30,000 seats.

coachacola
04-15-2011, 01:28 PM
The attendance rule is not an issue with Lamar going to the WAC. Lamar needs an athletic budget of at least $15 million per year and right now they're at about $12 million. The WAC doesn't have to invite anybody else this year, but if they do I think the deadline is July 1st, not June 1st.

I think Lamar is waiting to see what happens with other conferences because Tidwell and others keep saying they are expecting big changes. It's no secret Tidwell and Simmons prefer a more regional conference (ie Sun Belt) so I think they are waiting to see if that will happen.

I actually think that both Lamar and SHSU will probably get invited together to join the WAC for 2013 instead of 2012. That will give both schools an extra year to build up their athletic budgets and that will let the WAC expand more slowly.

NorthoftheBorder
04-15-2011, 02:19 PM
These two questions should answer everything you need to know.

Can Lamar and SHSU afford FBS right now? No.
Can Lamar and SHSU afford to pass up the opportunity if invited to FBS now? No.

If either or both institutions get invited - which is something that has been brought up as of late due to the continued rejection by current FBS member institutions of the WAC - our schools will have to accept the invite and do what is necessary to get our house in order so we are competitive as soon as possible.

Well Terror, thats the first that I've seen where you admit that in the long run, it is best for SHSU to move to FBS and leave the FCS. Everything in life is a gamble, but this is a gamble I believe that LU has to make to be viable for the long term. I can only imagine that would be the case for SHSU as well. I am still a bit skeptical that San Antonio will embrace UTSA football, but with 2m+ population within a 50 mile radius, you have to like the odds. LU and SHSU being as close to Houston as they are can be a force as well.

CardAmbassador
04-15-2011, 02:38 PM
TAMU sells out their huge stadium with a smaller MSA than what Beaumont has.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan-College_Station_metropolitan_area

Population is not an issue, neither is attendance at the FBS level. The 15k attendance rule is a rolling average over a two year period anyway. So you can get away with dipping below 15k. Also there are already schools in the WAC that have less than 15k average yearly attendance.

Why will the WAC invite SHSU and LU in 2013? Isn't one of the main arguments for adding either of our schools to the WAC is that we give them a 8th football member by 2012 which they need to ease scheduling and remain bowl viable?

I would love to believe 2013 was the date because that would give us more time. Regradless we should be raising our budget dramatically (at least to $15 mil) and then calling up the WAC and Sunbelt. I think their are schools already in both of those conferences that are less atractive than LU is as a FBS school especially if we get our budget to $15 mil.

And I looked it up again coach, you were correct, July not June 1st is the deadline to switch conferences for the 2012 season.

NorthoftheBorder
04-15-2011, 03:15 PM
TAMU has a lot of built in long term advantages over LU/SHSU which is why they can draw like they do, namely being a 100+ year old 4 year institution that has been playing football at the highest level for all those years with UT as their chief rival and a much larger student body and alumni base that is highly affluent and well connected within the state. TAMU could be in Marfa Texas with all those advantages and draw 80k a game. Now, does that mean LU cannot rise up to be competitive in FBS. Why yes they can and you can look to Boise State as the model. Can LU draw 35-50k for home games in a stadium in Beaumont. Heck yes is they have a very competitive FBS team with high profile opponent. People will come out of the woodwork in the Golden Triangle to watch. JMHO

TexasTerror
04-15-2011, 04:22 PM
Well Terror, thats the first that I've seen where you admit that in the long run, it is best for SHSU to move to FBS and leave the FCS. Everything in life is a gamble, but this is a gamble I believe that LU has to make to be viable for the long term. I can only imagine that would be the case for SHSU as well. I am still a bit skeptical that San Antonio will embrace UTSA football, but with 2m+ population within a 50 mile radius, you have to like the odds. LU and SHSU being as close to Houston as they are can be a force as well.

Stems from my feelings on the direction of the Southland...

If Lamar + TXST both leave for FBS - our hands are forced. Is it what I want? Not exactly, but we'll have no other choice, so we'll have no option, but to accept an invite.

We do not want to remain in an SLC filled with the Louisiana schools. Our fans prefer playing the Texas SLC teams (TXST, Lamar, SFA particularly) and those schools financially would not be able to keep pace with us and give us no incentive to improve.

bigred360
04-16-2011, 01:25 PM
I really want Lamar to go FBS but if our athletic budget is at the low end of the conference it will be hard to be competitive.

Glad I know we have the right people in place to make the right decision regarding conference realignment.

NorthoftheBorder
04-18-2011, 01:51 PM
This is where I am at on this right now. I think Lamar is not moving very fast on the FBS deal and that is why things have not materialized sooner. Not sure why, but just have a gut that LU is not doing or saying all the things that the WAC would like to hear/see just yet. Don't have any inside info, just a feeling based on how this is playing out which makes me very unsure what Dr. Simmons really wants to do. I am still of the opinion that passing on FBS now has risk and you could find yourself on the outside looking in whith no options for a long time in the future. If you get in FBS and you want to make a move to another FBS conference when an opportunity opens up, IMHO you are in a much better position.

TexGator
04-18-2011, 04:42 PM
TAMU has a lot of built in long term advantages over LU/SHSU which is why they can draw like they do, namely being a 100+ year old 4 year institution that has been playing football at the highest level for all those years with UT as their chief rival and a much larger student body and alumni base that is highly affluent and well connected within the state. TAMU could be in Marfa Texas with all those advantages and draw 80k a game. Now, does that mean LU cannot rise up to be competitive in FBS. Why yes they can and you can look to Boise State as the model. Can LU draw 35-50k for home games in a stadium in Beaumont. Heck yes is they have a very competitive FBS team with high profile opponent. People will come out of the woodwork in the Golden Triangle to watch. JMHO

I agree with everything you said other than the "100+ year" part. SMU and Rice weren't pulling 50,000 for games in the SWC (other than the UT and TAMU games). Heck, UofH wasn't pulling 50,000 for games against teams other than UT and TAMU when they were good and still struggle to sell out their games at a 35,000-seat stadium after playing in several years of bowls.

Building up a university community is the key to bringing in big crowds. We averaged 16,079 last season. To make LU a viable FBS school, we need to be pulling 30,000+ for games, but that's not something we can do overnight.

My ideas for building up the LU football community to make the program more attractive to bigger conferences:
Step 1- Encourage tailgating (not talking Big XII/SEC arrive-on-Wednesday tailgating, but more people out there putting the scent of animal flash and TexJoy into the air... oooh, endorsement opportunity- the "TexJoy Tailgate Plaza")
Step 2- More alumni events outside of the Beaumont area. LU has thousands of alums in Greater Houston and the Metroplex... especially with the M.Ed. program that is adding hundreds of new alums every month.
Step 3- Add an additional paycheck game to the calendar each year. Getting beaten by 2-3 touchdowns against a team may hurt, but only until the check clears. I'd rather go 7-4 with a couple of losses to teams that will get us attention (and listed on the ESPN ticker on Saturday) than 9-2 and beat up on NAIA schools. Of course, that all changes if you actually start making the FCS playoffs (prior to any move up to FBS).

CardAmbassador
04-19-2011, 04:08 PM

I agree with everything you said other than the "100+ year" part. SMU and Rice weren't pulling 50,000 for games in the SWC (other than the UT and TAMU games). Heck, UofH wasn't pulling 50,000 for games against teams other than UT and TAMU when they were good and still struggle to sell out their games at a 35,000-seat stadium after playing in several years of bowls.

Building up a university community is the key to bringing in big crowds. We averaged 16,079 last season. To make LU a viable FBS school, we need to be pulling 30,000+ for games, but that's not something we can do overnight.

My ideas for building up the LU football community to make the program more attractive to bigger conferences:
Step 1- Encourage tailgating (not talking Big XII/SEC arrive-on-Wednesday tailgating, but more people out there putting the scent of animal flash and TexJoy into the air... oooh, endorsement opportunity- the "TexJoy Tailgate Plaza")
Step 2- More alumni events outside of the Beaumont area. LU has thousands of alums in Greater Houston and the Metroplex... especially with the M.Ed. program that is adding hundreds of new alums every month.
Step 3- Add an additional paycheck game to the calendar each year. Getting beaten by 2-3 touchdowns against a team may hurt, but only until the check clears. I'd rather go 7-4 with a couple of losses to teams that will get us attention (and listed on the ESPN ticker on Saturday) than 9-2 and beat up on NAIA schools. Of course, that all changes if you actually start making the FCS playoffs (prior to any move up to FBS).

I completely agree about the community portion of your post. LU needs to build a community of support. Tidwell is taking the first steps to do this with his Athletic Banquet which raises money to give LU athletes letterman jackets and class rings.

My impression was that everyone really enjoyed the tailgating last year.

Does anyone have complaints about the LU tailgating, I would love to hear them because we need to make sure that portion of our football experience is first class.

TexGator
04-19-2011, 05:24 PM

I completely agree about the community portion of your post. LU needs to build a community of support. Tidwell is taking the first steps to do this with his Athletic Banquet which raises money to give LU athletes letterman jackets and class rings.

My impression was that everyone really enjoyed the tailgating last year.

Does anyone have complaints about the LU tailgating, I would love to hear them because we need to make sure that portion of our football experience is first class.

Well, I hung out with some of the tailgaters (unfortunately, my wife doesn't have any desire to get a tailgate spot... so my suggestion to get one fell on deaf ears), but we need hundreds more people out there... preferably thousands. This is an especially big thing to push for the out-of-towners who we want want to make a day out of it and not just arrive at 5 and leave during the 4th quarter "to beat the traffic out of town."

We'll see if I can sway it with the promise of some Zummo boudain, Earl Campbell sausage, and some Bubba Burger burgers.

jdcurran235
04-19-2011, 05:30 PM
They should also set up spot for overnight camping like what they do at McNeese. There are a lot of people that go out there with RV's

CardAmbassador
04-19-2011, 06:04 PM
They should also set up spot for overnight camping like what they do at McNeese. There are a lot of people that go out there with RV's

That's a good suggestion. I hope certain things change as the university learn from the first year.

I would also suggest a more active announcer at the game. Our announcer last year was not good at all, he needs to be into the game and telling people what to do.

TexGator
04-19-2011, 06:28 PM

That's a good suggestion. I hope certain things change as the university learn from the first year.

I would also suggest a more active announcer at the game. Our announcer last year was not good at all, he needs to be into the game and telling people what to do.

As someone who has done PA announcing, I can say with quite a bit of certainty that he was probably doing what LU Administration told him to do... some places want a "homer" announcer... some places want an understated person... it all depends on the instructions given.

Of course, we could get the guy who used to announce Galveston Ball games who would say "And another 1st Down for the TORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRS!" Annoying if you're the opponent.

Jack
04-19-2011, 06:55 PM
I am on my mobile so I can't repaste the still live transcript of the chat with LA Tech AD Van De Velde, but I underlined something that might interest you guys. Check it out, and I don't care if you guys copy me for your posters.

http://bobcatreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=952&start=90

lu cards
04-19-2011, 07:15 PM
our tailgating group expanded from 8 parking spots and 20 people last year to 12 parking spots and 30 people this coming year.i think 7 of the people coming in didnt attend a game last year.i was told by them that they heard how great lu tailgating was and decided to get in on it.i expect this to be the norm and lu will have way more people tailgating this year.word of mouth is the best advertising!!