PDA

View Full Version : South Dakota AD 'troubled' by Lamar's Decision

CardAmbassador
02-17-2011, 08:25 PM
http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/2011/02/17/south-dakota-ad-troubled-by-lamars-decision/

This is kind of stupid, I don't like that we dropped this game but why is their AD worried about it. If it's in the contract it's permissible

yoteforever
03-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Your AD's decision is troubling in years ahead for LaMar. His decision says that your word is not good. Period. It really is to bad. In todays world that you have to hide behind certain languages of a contract is bad. I have always heard the people of Texas are honorable, but this says otherwise....at least about your school.

You will never get another team from the north to come to LaMar, and thats too bad, because I had a great time (even though we lost) coming down. I think you would have enjoyed the atmosphere in South Dakota and we are gracious and fun hosts.

Mr. Tidwell.......you might be a popular coach, but like your predecessor ( Tubbs ) you appear to be a weasel in contract negotiations.

CardAmbassador
03-05-2011, 09:58 AM
yoteforever wrote:

Your AD's decision is troubling in years ahead for LaMar. His decision says that your word is not good. Period. It really is to bad. In todays world that you have to hide behind certain languages of a contract is bad. I have always heard the people of Texas are honorable, but this says otherwise....at least about your school.

You will never get another team from the north to come to LaMar, and thats too bad, because I had a great time (even though we lost) coming down. I think you would have enjoyed the atmosphere in South Dakota and we are gracious and fun hosts.

Mr. Tidwell.......you might be a popular coach, but like your predecessor ( Tubbs ) you appear to be a weasel in contract negotiations.

Tidwell's a great person so your words are not appreciated here.

I must respectfully disagree. First your AD said that we may schedule USD another year, I'm sure some might not want to play us but I doubt all teams from the north will turn us down.

This has nothing to do with our word in my opinion. Our words were explicitly written out in a contract, if you didn't want us to cancel don't put a buyout clause in the contract. Your AD's word was also in that contract when he signed it he basically said he would honor the contract faithfully. Then when we use the contract in a way he doesn't like he calls our decision troubling. I think what he said was very immature and irresponsible.

Thanks for joining but I respectfully disagree with your statements.

yoteforever
03-05-2011, 10:07 AM
You are wrong about that. Our current AD had nothing to do with the contract. Our former AD did, and there were several of us in that decision making process. It was your AD (Tubbs) that made contact and said they would honor the home/home series in back to back years, but the "buyout clause" was instituted in case " I am no longer the AD ".

Defend what you want, but to hide behind languages of a contract instead of doing the right thing is relective of our society today. Bottom line is Lamars word is not good.

bigred360
03-05-2011, 10:14 AM
Nice to join the forum but cry me a freaking river. This old news and we stand behind our AD like you do yours.

PNG1992
03-05-2011, 10:16 AM
this type deal happens all the time in college athletics.

CardAmbassador
03-05-2011, 10:17 AM
yoteforever wrote:

You are wrong about that. Our current AD had nothing to do with the contract. Our former AD did, and there were several of us in that decision making process. It was your AD (Tubbs) that made contact and said they would honor the home/home series in back to back years, but the "buyout clause" was instituted in case " I am no longer the AD ".

Defend what you want, but to hide behind languages of a contract instead of doing the right thing is relective of our society today. Bottom line is Lamars word is not good.

Now your just taking this too personal. If you don't understand what a contract is then I can't really speak to you. Again you are entitled to your opinion and some here agree with you.

I know one thing, Coach Tidwell is a very upstanding man. I'm sure he didn't even want to use th buyout provision but since circumstance called for it he did. You say we had some agreement outside of the contract, I say we had a contract.

AVItom
03-05-2011, 10:38 AM
Fine we get it! Our word is no longer good with you or your program. I for one support the decision that was made and assume it was made with good cause. I understand your concerns and unhappines as I too would probably feel the same way if it were the other way around. I am confident that Tidwell considered the very thing your talking about when he made the choice to buy out what I am calling the "yankee clause". Don't get me wrong we de appreciate your concern for our University and our reputation but when it came down too it a few Admins at a village in South Dakota being upset wasnt enough to change his mind. Thanks for playing and enjoy the trip.

yoteforever
03-05-2011, 01:29 PM
I don't know your AD and womens basketball coach, but I am sure he is an outstanding person. You all say he is so I will accept that. But one of you says you stand by his decision, yet you admit you don't know why he exercised it. The University of South Dakota did your school a favor when Lamar needed a favor. We needed the favor back to fill a schedule with D-1 schools. You don't honor your end of the deal, regardless of what any piece of paper says. Do I take it personal? Yes.

Cry me a river? Hardly. I hope Lamar gets burnt big time as you enter this transition era. Then you will fully understand why the fine folks at USD are concerned.

Lastly I never questioned the integrity of Coach Tidwell. I am sure he is a good man. I accept that. The man I am questioning is no longer your AD. Say what you want about BILLY but he has a history of no integrity. Maybe that's why he isn't any longer your AD.

This is the last I will say about this, but I would ask one person on this board to answer with honesty and clarity why AD Tidwell exercised the buyout clause? What circumstance prompted him to do so?

bigred360
03-05-2011, 01:45 PM
I know why he exercised the "buy out clause" in the contract and that was to get an additonal home game.

bigred360
03-05-2011, 01:52 PM
yoteforever wrote:

I don't know your AD and womens basketball coach, but I am sure he is an outstanding person. You all say he is so I will accept that. But one of you says you stand by his decision, yet you admit you don't know why he exercised it. The University of South Dakota did your school a favor when Lamar needed a favor. We needed the favor back to fill a schedule with D-1 schools. You don't honor your end of the deal, regardless of what any piece of paper says. Do I take it personal? Yes.

Cry me a river? Hardly. I hope Lamar gets burnt big time as you enter this transition era. Then you will fully understand why the fine folks at USD are concerned.

Lastly I never questioned the integrity of Coach Tidwell. I am sure he is a good man. I accept that. The man I am questioning is no longer your AD. Say what you want about BILLY but he has a history of no integrity. Maybe that's why he isn't any longer your AD.

This is the last I will say about this, but I would ask one person on this board to answer with honesty and clarity why AD Tidwell exercised the buyout clause? What circumstance prompted him to do so?

Obviously you don't know Billy Tubbs personally. He is in the Oklahoma HOF, in the museum of the gulf coast http://www.museumofthegulfcoast.org/personalities-sports-legends-billy-tubbs.html

He is in the Top 40 MBB coaching wins at the DI level with over 640 and is one of two men greatly responsible for restoring the football program at Lamar. The other is our President James Simmons.

I'm glad this is the last you'll say about the this situation! :S

AVItom
03-06-2011, 05:57 AM
Hey Yankee Dawg?? If it was just done as a favor then whats the big deal? Right?

yoteforever
03-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Yankee Dawg? Very classy. Now it's all making sense. Good luck with Incarnate Word

PNG1992
03-06-2011, 11:59 AM
yoteforever wrote:

Yankee Dawg? Very classy. Now it's all making sense. Good luck with Incarnate Word

I could be 100% wrong but I think there's a poster that used to go by that handle and maybe he thinks your that guy?? Just a guess on my part but I think I remember a "YankeeDawg" poster.

bigred360
03-06-2011, 12:21 PM
I thought he was done with this subject. I guess he is just having difficulty letting go.

CardAmbassador
03-29-2011, 02:04 AM
USD replaced us with: NAIA Northwestern Oklahoma State

http://www.usdcoyotes.com/sports/football/schedule.asp

Maybe now they will quit whining.

TexasTerror
03-29-2011, 12:00 PM
I hope this issue gets resolved with a future game and/or buyout.

Still put some blame on Lamar. Not classy to "inform" the other school by releasing your schedule and not contacting them before doing so. That was what Prairie View A&M did to SHSU a few years ago.

CardAmbassador
03-29-2011, 12:33 PM

Still put some blame on Lamar. Not classy to "inform" the other school by releasing your schedule and not contacting them before doing so. That was what Prairie View A&M did to SHSU a few years ago.

You don't know that, this is the case. You're jumping to that conclusion based on what?

bigred360
03-29-2011, 04:00 PM
I'm sure the administration at Lamar is worried about the SD issue at this point. :laugh:

CardAmbassador
03-29-2011, 04:09 PM
I'm sure the administration at Lamar is worried about the SD issue at this point. :laugh:

My main point is that TexasTerror is assuming this, I would love for him to show me the article or evidence that points out that Lamar did not inform USD of the cancelation prior to releasing the 2011 football schedule.

bigred360
03-29-2011, 04:17 PM
He can't except what SD AD has said and a few SD posters out there. Believe me Larry Tidwell is first class all the way and he doesn't just have a MBB coach to hire but maybe WBB and even a softball coach with the team starting play in 2013.

They will either schedule them in a future season or send SD $150K.

TexasTerror
03-29-2011, 06:56 PM
The article in the Yankton paper - http://www.yankton.net/articles/2011/02/17/sports/doc4d5ca60e1dd0f568583305.txt - give every indication that this was the case. It makes it sound like USD was completely caught off-guard by the Lamar announcement.

bigred360
03-29-2011, 07:00 PM
Funny the PA news, the Beaumont Examiner, Orange Leader or the Beaumont Enterprise do not have the same account of us dropping SD and adding IW.

Guess, it's whatever paper you are reading.

Again, a game will be scheduled or we'll send them a check for $150K.

coachacola
03-29-2011, 09:21 PM
The In The Cards blog has the details. The Jan 28 blog entry says Lamar contacted South Dakota about backing out of the game and their AD said no. The South Dakota AD knew Lamar was trying to get out of the game and both sides were actually trying to reschedule the game so he was not caught off guard.

http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/2011/01/28/south-dakota-ad-expects-to-see-lamar-this-season/

CardAmbassador
03-29-2011, 10:34 PM

Here you state your opinion as fact.

The article in the Yankton paper - http://www.yankton.net/articles/2011/02/17/sports/doc4d5ca60e1dd0f568583305.txt - give every indication that this was the case. It makes it sound like USD was completely caught off-guard by the Lamar announcement.

TT, this is my main problem with you. First you state your opinion as if its fact, now you come back and say words like: It makes it sound like or indication.

The in the cards blog makes it seem like what you are saying is wrong.

Do you honestly believe Lamar didn't inform USD about the schedule cancellation?

yoteforever
04-05-2011, 02:00 AM
FACT: LaMar did not inform USD of their decision not to come to USD. Administration discovered it when Lamar announced their schedule.

FACT #2: Much to the credit of your AD he apologized to our administration and they are now exploring of coming to USD in 2012.

CardAmbassador
04-05-2011, 02:12 AM
FACT: LaMar did not inform USD of their decision not to come to USD. Administration discovered it when Lamar announced their schedule.

FACT #2: Much to the credit of your AD he apologized to our administration and they are now exploring of coming to USD in 2012.

Great, I'm glad that he (Tidwell) is a big enough man to admit he was wrong. I honestly doubted that this was the case. If you say it is so then I will take your word for it.

Sorry for doubting you. :)

I hope for friendlier interactions in the future.

coachacola
04-05-2011, 02:16 AM
The original blog entry in the Beaumont Enterprise said they were trying to work out a future meeting so I'm glad they are getting it done. I wonder if they do schedule a game for 2012 then does that mean Lamar will not pay $100K to USD?

yoteforever
04-05-2011, 02:34 AM
The original blog entry in the Beaumont Enterprise said they were trying to work out a future meeting so I'm glad they are getting it done. I wonder if they do schedule a game for 2012 then does that mean Lamar will not pay $100K to USD?

That is correct

CardAmbassador
04-05-2011, 04:48 PM

That is correct

It's amazing that we can still get that buy out money back.

It seemse like the contract would be worded, "if you don't honor this game on this date pay $100,000 don't pass go, don't collect $200 ..."

So yote, what are your feelings on this now that we are attempting to reschedule? Do you just want to take the $100,000 and run or what?

yoteforever
04-05-2011, 06:43 PM

That is correct

It's amazing that we can still get that buy out money back.

It seemse like the contract would be worded, "if you don't honor this game on this date pay $100,000 don't pass go, don't collect $200 ..."

So yote, what are your feelings on this now that we are attempting to reschedule? Do you just want to take the $100,000 and run or what?

My feelings are if LaMar wants to attempt to honor the contract in another year (2012) and we have an opening (which I understand we do) then I am in favor of it. In all sincereity, to me, I am old fashioned. It is the intent of the contract, not the actual words. If I tell LaMar as AD I am coming to Beaumont to play a game, my word is good, and we play. Sometimes things happen that make you reassess or alter, and this might be the case.

Not that there is anything "natural" at all between the schools, I would think it would be fun to have a non-conference "rival", and to me, LaMar and USD are at similar points in the curve, so my logic is we help each other. If it doesn't materialize, then it doesn't.

If you do come to USD in 2012, I will personally invite you to my tailgate and BBQ bfore and after the game. Despite the fact Vermillion is not a metropolis, it is a great place to watch college football and tailgate beforehand.

We hope to see you

coachacola
04-05-2011, 06:46 PM
The name of the university is Lamar, not LaMar. I'm not sure if that's a mistake on your part or not but it's really bugging me.

yoteforever
04-05-2011, 06:47 PM
The name of the university is Lamar, not LaMar. I'm not sure if that's a mistake on your part or not but it's really bugging me.

My fault. I apologize. Wasn't meant to irritate.

yoteforever
04-05-2011, 06:49 PM

We have a town in Iowa near USD called LeMars. It's purely habitual. Won't happen again

bigred360
04-05-2011, 06:50 PM
A poster from UsD doesn't bother me by continuing to use LaMar instead of our actual name being Lamar University. :laugh: LOL

coachacola
04-05-2011, 06:54 PM

We have a town in Iowa near USD called LeMars. It's purely habitual. Won't happen again

No problem. You're always welcome here.

CardAmbassador
04-05-2011, 11:15 PM

No problem. You're always welcome here.

Noticed it too. I thought being from South Dakota you might know a little French (see map in SD in relation to Canada for the geography illiterate) since the name is of French origin.

TexGator
04-20-2011, 01:55 AM

How about calling us "Lamar" and not "LaMar"??? We don't call you "The Other USD". (even if U. of San Diego has cuter coeds)

Apologies. Didn't see that it'd already been corrected... gave up after seeing it a half-dozen times.