First official 2012 Football Depth Chart

Mike

Brought to you first by BigRedInsider.com. You MUST log in to see the chart.

LINK: http://bigredinsider.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=624&catid=1

Thoughts??

Finally, I've been very curious to see this. I will have thoughts later after I've had time to digest it.

Couple surprises on defense IMO.

Who are the surprises for you, Mike? Where is Ploch on offense?

Brought to you first by BigRedInsider.com. You MUST log in to see the chart.

LINK: http://bigredinsider.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=624&catid=1

Thoughts??

Finally, I've been very curious to see this. I will have thoughts later after I've had time to digest it.

Couple surprises on defense IMO.

Who are the surprises for you, Mike? Where is Ploch on offense?

Ill provide a few thoughts soon, I'd like to give everyone a chance to see it first.

Guest NorthoftheBorder
No Campbell in top 2 on O-line. Chavis and Malbrough running second at OLB. Just a few of the surprises. I see this changing a bunch by the time they play their 3rd game if not before.

No Campbell in top 2 on O-line. Chavis and Malbrough running second at OLB. Just a few of the surprises. I see this changing a bunch by the time they play their 3rd game if not before.

Bingo....

but I'm thinking some motivational tactics are going on with a few of these. Some of these guys may be being outworked in practices so the coaches are letting them know they will have to earn their position. It says something that a guy that wasn't even here for the Spring is listed above Campbell on the chart. (Brock Wempa)

Guest CardAmbassador

First good to see one of the JUCO signees immediately to the first string, means he was working hard. (Longino) Although like you guys said that might be a motivational technique, he was also a JUCO-All American in a good conference

Some freshmen I can see coming in and making it to the two deep:

Gladney to Slot

Nelson to X

Waters (if he makes it) should be somewhere on the two deep defense, looks very versatile

Luke Campbell OL

any of the 3 incoming RB's

Hargis possibly playing at ILB for freshman year.

That's just the few freshman I think are good enough that could make it to the two deep by end of season.

I like sparks at slot, he had good production when he played, always seemed to get open.

At TE maybe Ploch will play when we use a 2 TE set? Not sure where he went. If he's not on the two deep he maybe a special teams guy.

J. Brock at LT, I think some were questioning why we signed this guy last year, after the reports from practice it looks like he is more than proving himself.

I do hope we see Campbell back though.

Mossakowski looks to be QB 1 right now. I still don't think that position is completely settled though, sounded like Berry had some good showings this spring.

ploch /hanna? to awful good players to be on the sidelines...

the brothers chavis, imo...are over-rated..and campbell needs to drop about 50 pounds

whos the dude that caught the scrimmage td? cant remember his name....

I agree. Of course, I think moving Ploch to tight end is a mistake. I'd like to see him at safety. McVey appears to be the real deal at tight end so Ploch will be wasting his time behind him.

Guest CardAmbassador

the brothers chavis, imo...are over-rated..and campbell needs to drop about 50 pounds

I agree. Of course, I think moving Ploch to tight end is a mistake. I'd like to see him at safety. McVey appears to be the real deal at tight end so Ploch will be wasting his time behind him.

If we use 2 tight end sets he might be utilized. I forgot about Cory Soto, I think he will find his way on to the field, the guy is HUGE!

Guest CardCraze

That was Zack Sonnier. Looks like a lot of shake up from the spring at the receiver position.

Tweet from Chris Dabe:

Some of you already know this: QB Ryan Mossakowski is listed on depth chart as starter. Caleb Berry a close second, Woodard said.

Also this:

Just had a wide-ranging interview w/ Lamar football coach Ray Woodard. Will share more later today.

Guest CardAmbassador

I see a lot of good comments. Is nobody concerned about our lack of depth and size on the O line...

Do I think we lack depth there? yeah. That is a concern, but not because of losing Oden or Campbell, we were so bad there last year that I'm not too worried how many returners we have.

How do you guys feel about the size of the line though?

I see a lot of good comments. Is nobody concerned about our lack of depth and size on the O line...

Do I think we lack depth there? yeah. That is a concern, but not because of losing Oden or Campbell, we were so bad there last year that I'm not too worried how many returners we have.

How do you guys feel about the size of the line though?

A quick look at some of the rosters in the SLC shows that most offensive linemen are in the 280 to 305 pound range. Lamar may be slightly undersized depending on who's on the field at the time, but nothing that good coaching can't overcome.

LU 17 would you relax about the depth and size of the OL lord have mercy you sound like a broken record. It will be ok they lost a few guys and they signed a few they are plenty of big enough to compete in the SLC with the size they have up front. This isn't the SEC not every lineman in this league has to be 300 plus. Let Dennis McNight do what he wants with his OL im sure they will be ready to play in the fall.

Guest CardAmbassador

LU 17 would you relax about the depth and size of the OL lord have mercy you sound like a broken record. It will be ok they lost a few guys and they signed a few they are plenty of big enough to compete in the SLC with the size they have up front. This isn't the SEC not every lineman in this league has to be 300 plus. Let Dennis McNight do what he wants with his OL im sure they will be ready to play in the fall.

300 isn't just the average for the SEC or BCS conferences that's pretty much the standard size for linemen in DI football. It is a legitimate concern. But yes, I'm going to put my faith in McKnight and not worry about it too much.

300 isn't just the average for the SEC or BCS conferences that's pretty much the standard size for linemen in DI football. It is a legitimate concern. But yes, I'm going to put my faith in McKnight and not worry about it too much.

Look at the rosters around the SLC, 300 isn't the average size of the OL.

Guest CardAmbassador

you're not looking at starters, believe me I've looked at all the SLC rosters most teams have at least 5 guys that are 300+. we now have 2. SFA has quite a few over 300 in particular.

Nicholls, has 5! let's not kid ourselves about where we stand on having sizable Linemen.

you're not looking at starters, believe me I've looked at all the SLC rosters most teams have at least 5 guys that are 300+. we now have 2. SFA has quite a few over 300 in particular.

Nicholls, has 5! let's not kid ourselves about where we stand on having sizable Linemen.

I want offensive linemen that can play football and are coachable. Since he's left the team I've started hearing numerous stories about problems Campbell was having on and off the field, and seen with my own eyes that he was playing overweight since he arrived here. Would I want a motivated Daniel Campbell and Anthony Oden? Absolutely, but I'm not sold that's what we were always getting. Offensive line was one of the weaker spots for last years team even with those two guys up front.

IMO you guys are making way too much of the weight issue. 300+ pounds doesn't mean squat if your not putting in the work, in fact 300+ sometimes is the number because your lazy. Give me Coach McKnight and the group of guys he's coaching now and lets see how it goes. In my interview with Coach Woodard he lit up when talking about Brock Wempa so I know he's high on the guy let's see how he turns out. He's also spoke very highly of Steven Babin, Kyle Gilliam and Emory Bailey and the work they put in to me in the past.

LU17, you want some reassurance? IMO the addition of Dennis McKnight will end up being the biggest acquisitions this off-season for Coach Woodard and the program and we will see immediate improvement on the O-Line and special teams.

CA- 300+ pounders would be nice, but having 280-290# kids that can play, are coachable and have good attitudes are better. Nicholls may have five 300+ kids but does that mean anything? I wouldn't trade spots with them nor would anyone else on this board or in the stands.

Let's let the season get started before becoming to critical or concerned.

:)

Guest CardAmbassador

quoting myself:

It is a legitimate concern. But yes, I'm going to put my faith in McKnight and not worry about it too much.

Never actually said it was a problem, just a legitimate concern for people to have. I was taking issue with what coach said, we are clearly a smaller size line. Currently our starting LT is 255 lbs.

Again, I'm not saying that is a problem as much as I'm saying lets not lie to ourselves about the size of our line in relation to other programs. I has nothing to do with trading place with anyone.

Guest LU 17
I didn't mean to get all this aggression started, but I like it. Hopefully fired up fans will mean fired up team. I don't know much about coach McNight, but it sounds like he is a good fit. I didn't get to see the spring game, I was out of state. Can somebody advise how we looked...strengths and weaknesses in regards to our two deep depth chart.