PDA

View Full Version : Game Thread: Red and White Spring Scrimmage - CRAWFISH BOWL

CardAmbassador
03-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Red Team v. White Team - CRAWFISH BOWL 2011
Game Time: Thursday, March 3rd 2011 - 6 p.m.
Game Location: Provost Umphrey Stadium

Team Rosters:
Head Coach RED:Link: Will Richard (http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/richard_will00.html)
Head Coach WHITE: Link: Brian Mayper (http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mayper_brian00.html)
LINK: Red and White Rosters (http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/lama/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2011SpringGameRosters.pdf)

Media Coverage:
Live Updates: BigRedInsider.com
Live Internet: http://www.lamarcardinals.com/allaccess/?media=234131

coastalman
03-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Watch the spring game live at the link below. We still want a lot of people to come out but we had a lot of parents call so now its streamed for free on the All-Access player!

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/allaccess/?media=234131

(This game will not be archived for future use....so you better watch it/attend to see the Cardinals.....)

bigred360
03-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Thanks for your efforts with all the work you do with the games notes in various sports.

CardAmbassador
03-03-2011, 09:59 AM
From the looks of this article it seems like it's a possibility that JJ might be used as a qb and a RB. I think it would be very interesting to have two qb's on the field at the same time. Prewitt could take the pass, hand off to JJ and then run fake, jj throws down field for a TD. It could be a deadly combination.

I'm really liking the white team's potential.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/lamar/article/Watch-for-Jeremy-Johnson-at-Lamar-spring-game-1036991.php

CardAmbassador
03-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Good showing by both teams so far. I disagreed with the fumble call at the beginning of the game. Red 14 white 10. All the qbs have done well. Jj and bevil both have tds. Kicking is the only area that hasn't performed tonight.

lcm2007ms
03-03-2011, 06:48 PM
I agree on the fumble. Kicking still looks pretty bad. I also liked the fan support that showed up. I'd put it at 1000+

PNG1992
03-03-2011, 07:17 PM
I'm disappointed that I wasn't able to attend. I had a family function come up that I couldn't miss so Ive been watching the video. Both teams threw deep bombs the first few plays I watched which was not encouraging and deja-vu from last season.

PNG1992
03-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Wow what a horse collar on JJ and no call.

PNG1992
03-03-2011, 07:42 PM
nice run by Bevil for a TD. The Red team now leads 21-17 in the 4th.

PNG1992
03-03-2011, 08:03 PM
The Red team held on to win 21-17 and hoisted the Crawfish Bowl trophy.

bigred360
03-03-2011, 08:04 PM
I know a lot of people won't be happy but Andre Bevil and Jeremy Johnson looked best at the QB position.

Last year, Bevil would never run always looking to the big play. Maybe he has learned to take what the defense is given.

Johnson is just a freak athlete.

Mike Venson made a couple of nice runs but we still have a way to go with the running game.

Both defenses looked pretty good.

CardAmbassador
03-03-2011, 08:23 PM
bigred360 wrote:

I know a lot of people won't be happy but Andre Bevil and Jeremy Johnson looked best at the QB position.

Last year, Bevil would never run always looking to the big play. Maybe he has learned to take what the defense is given.

Johnson is just a freak athlete.

Mike Venson made a couple of nice runs but we still have a way to go with the running game.

Both defenses looked pretty good.

LCM2007: I agree we had great fan support but don't try to tell SHSU that, they never believe it. :laugh:

PNG: I think you started watching at a bad time, Jeremy Johnson threw nice 25 yard passes several times and had a couple of big runs. I liked what I saw from Jeremy and Doug. Doug was one of the best QB's until the last portion of the game when he just kept throwing it. I know what portion of the game you saw and I think your getting the wrong impression. This years QB's will be anything but last years.

BR360: I agree Johnson is just a freak athlete, I met a reporter from the Silsbee Bee and he has known Johnson for a long time. He was telling me that Johnson could have played DI in pretty much any sport if he wanted too.

CardAmbassador
03-03-2011, 08:24 PM
Also although Bevil's team won and he had two TD's I still think there are other considerations, he had the most penaly yards and had a pretty hard time CONSISTENTLY moving the ball up the field. Johnson was consistent and good.

CardinalClaw
03-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Yeah Johnson impressed me the most at the QB position, Bevil had two plays where a WR was wide open an he threw the ball at their feet into the ground. The FG kicking was the most disappointing, both of the kickers missed one within reasonable yards. They need to get that taken care of real quick. The running game is still struggling, hopefully we can get that squared away before the season starts too. I believe Venson will be are featured back, he has shown the most skill at that spot.

CardAmbassador
03-03-2011, 10:25 PM
BEAUMONT - Senior-to-be Andre Bevil rallied his red squad to a comeback victory by scrambling for a 17-yard touchdown with just 34 seconds to play in Lamar University final spring football action, Crawfish Bowl One.

The red team took over at the white team's 47 yard line with 2:03 to play in the game after stopping newcomer DePauldrick Garrett on fourth and one. Trailing 17-14, Bevil hit Donte Lopez for a 20-yard gain on fourth and 10.

After a pass to Mike Venson went for no gain, Bevil spiked the ball to stop the clock, setting up a third and 10 from the 27 yard line. A delay of game penalty pushed the ball back to the 32, before Bevil scrambled to the 17 for a first down.

Bevil looked for Lopez in the end zone on first down, but the pass was broken up by Tim Hayter. Bevil then drop

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/030311aaa.html

CardinalClaw
03-03-2011, 11:33 PM
Here are JJ stats, pretty good if you ask me.

Jeremy Johnson
9-10 passing
163 yards
2TD's

6 rushes
39 yards
in 5 possessions

CardAmbassador
03-04-2011, 09:37 AM
CardinalClaw wrote:

Here are JJ stats, pretty good if you ask me.

Jeremy Johnson
9-10 passing
163 yards
2TD's

6 rushes
39 yards
in 5 possessions

Today's BE article on the Scrimmage has a title: Bevil impressive in Lamar spring game

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/lamar/article/Bevil-impressive-in-Lamar-spring-game-1041379.php

I'm sorry but give me a break. Anyone who really watched the game knows that although Bevil's team won and he had two TD's if you look at anything else he was not better than JJ or Prewitt. Prewitt besides his last time out was moving the ball perfectly. JJ's stats are above and they look pretty darn good to me. Bevil had plenty of penalty yards.

Edit: This isn't a knock on bevil as much as it is a critique of this article. Bevil was in the same caliber of QB's last night but he wasn't head and shoulders above Prewitt or Johnson. Hell, Berry actually look very good at some points.

lu cards
03-04-2011, 10:47 AM
i watched the first half and had these observations.great crowd.lots going on with mardi gras and baseball but i bet we had 1,500 people there.lamar will be much improved next year.we looked bigger and faster.we were missing 5 or 6 potential starters due to injury or not on campus so theres more to look forward to.im glad im not making the decision on the qb.johnson,bevil and prewitt all did some good things.

Davis
03-04-2011, 12:45 PM
I was at the game last night and a few things immediately jumped to mind for me - one - I would've liked to have seen more people there. Now, maybe because of Mardi Gras and there were several events going on in Beaumont last night, but I would've liked to have seen a bigger crowd, and I put some of the blame for that on Lamar, because they could've done more to promote the game.

Secondly, while Bevil may have driven the Red team to the win, for starters, both defenses have plenty of work to do, but I'm not at all impressed with him as a passer. Jeremy looked okay at times, but he's still very raw and a lot of his completions were short passes, although he drilled Chavis (who they need to throw to more) on a nice pickup in the second half and that duck he threw rolling to his left to Walters was more bad defense than anything. The secondary has a lot to work on.

Mind you, this is my first time watching Lamar football, but I've had a couple discussions with Coach Woodard on my radio show, so I had an idea of what to expect, but I felt Doug Prewitt was the best of all three quarterbacks. He by far has the best arm accuracy wise, and while it may not be as strong as Jeremy's, the kid still puts some zip on it. And he's also got some mobility and the always important "escape-ability", which all three quarterbacks are going to need until that line gets better, which I think it will, because it's an experienced group, it just needs time to gel. But If I had a leader in the clubhouse, I'd go with Prewitt, he's the best pure quarterback of the three by a mile. Maybe you run some wildcat with Bevil, and Jeremy needs some time to develop.

Lastly, and I'll say it one more time, the defense needs work, but the running game, which was not very good last year, looks like it will bounce back big time with Venson, who I was thoroughly impressed with and Woodard said he'd been the best back all Spring, and he certainly showed that last night. Now, I was a wee bit disappointed with DePauldrick, although he didn't get a lot of touches, but he didn't show me much when he did. The Hussy kid from Lumberton showed some pop running through the line, almost Peyton Hillis-like. Barring injury, and that's barring a lot in football, but offensively, it appears this team is going to be good. The running game is improved, the line is a work in progress, the receivers are loaded, and Woodard has a good problem at quarterback. But that defense needs some serious attention and I'm just worried that the team will look a lot like the Texans - plenty of offense, no defense. But there's still a lot time left between now and the opening game, not to mention, we haven't seen the first unit together, and it was just Spring ball. That's all I got, fun game, everybody who went should be optimistic about Lamar football. Check out Sports Talk with Fred Davis on Saturdays at 6 p.m. on 1300 AM and KSETLIVE.com, where this week Chad Cooper, sports editor for The Examiner, joins me and we'll be talking Lamar Sports and some high school hoops as well.

CardAmbassador
03-04-2011, 12:58 PM
Davis wrote:

I was at the game last night and a few things immediately jumped to mind for me - one - I would've liked to have seen more people there. Now, maybe because of Mardi Gras and there were several events going on in Beaumont last night, but I would've liked to have seen a bigger crowd, and I put some of the blame for that on Lamar, because they could've done more to promote the game.

Secondly, while Bevil may have driven the Red team to the win, for starters, both defenses have plenty of work to do, but I'm not at all impressed with him as a passer. Jeremy looked okay at times, but he's still very raw and a lot of his completions were short passes, although he drilled Chavis (who they need to throw to more) on a nice pickup in the second half and that duck he threw rolling to his left to Walters was more bad defense than anything. The secondary has a lot to work on.

Mind you, this is my first time watching Lamar football, but I've had a couple discussions with Coach Woodard on my radio show, so I had an idea of what to expect, but I felt Doug Prewitt was the best of all three quarterbacks. He by far has the best arm accuracy wise, and while it may not be as strong as Jeremy's, the kid still puts some zip on it. And he's also got some mobility and the always important "escape-ability", which all three quarterbacks are going to need until that line gets better, which I think it will, because it's an experienced group, it just needs time to gel. But If I had a leader in the clubhouse, I'd go with Prewitt, he's the best pure quarterback of the three by a mile. Maybe you run some wildcat with Bevil, and Jeremy needs some time to develop.

Lastly, and I'll say it one more time, the defense needs work, but the running game, which was not very good last year, looks like it will bounce back big time with Venson, who I was thoroughly impressed with and Woodard said he'd been the best back all Spring, and he certainly showed that last night. Now, I was a wee bit disappointed with DePauldrick, although he didn't get a lot of touches, but he didn't show me much when he did. The Hussy kid from Lumberton showed some pop running through the line, almost Peyton Hillis-like. Barring injury, and that's barring a lot in football, but offensively, it appears this team is going to be good. The running game is improved, the line is a work in progress, the receivers are loaded, and Woodard has a good problem at quarterback. But that defense needs some serious attention and I'm just worried that the team will look a lot like the Texans - plenty of offense, no defense. But there's still a lot time left between now and the opening game, not to mention, we haven't seen the first unit together, and it was just Spring ball. That's all I got, fun game, everybody who went should be optimistic about Lamar football. Check out Sports Talk with Fred Davis on Saturdays at 6 p.m. on 1300 AM and KSETLIVE.com, where this week Chad Cooper, sports editor for The Examiner, joins me and we'll be talking Lamar Sports and some high school hoops as well.

Davis, thanks so much for joining and for your in depth analysis of the scrimmage.

I agree with you about Prewitt, I wasn't feeling good about him from the first scrimmage I watched but he showed me alot last night. I liked that he picked up about 15 yards in one play with his feet by efficiently running behind his blockers. Prewitt is certainly the most accurate too. He had two deep balls that were spot on but broken up by the Red Teams CB don't know who that was but that CB was right on top of his receiver after he caught the ball.

I thought Johnson was the second best passer when you talk about passing down the field. He had nice velocity quick release and decent but not great accuracy. Johnson stands out above Prewitt only because of his foot work. But his foot work is GOOD.

I completely agree about Bevil, I don't think he is that great, I had plenty of time to examine him last season and he is not what we need at the QB position.

I also agree that the promotion wasn't very great, I blame Lamar but also the local media outlets. They just need to make LU sports feature stories instead of afterthoughts.

The O-line for what it was last nigh was still a huge improvement over what we had this season, it will only continue to improve as we are bringing in more talent in the fall.

I feel pretty good about next year. If we can take care of the small things, penalties, punting, kicking and stuff of that nature then I know we will be something to respect in SLC play. What we are lacking is a nice sized RB. It would be nice to have 6' RB to go to every once in a while.

AVItom
03-04-2011, 01:01 PM
I agree with the aspect that Lamar could have promoted it better if they expected a better turn out. I obviously just signed up this morning to this site and this was the first I heard about it.