PDA

View Full Version : Crawfish Bowl Trophy

Mike
03-02-2011, 05:28 PM
they have a trophy that will go to the winning team. :) http://bigredinsider.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Crawfish_Bowl_Trophy.jpg

bigred360
03-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Cool, it looks better than I thought it would. ;)

CardAmbassador
03-02-2011, 08:25 PM
ADMIN wrote:

they have a trophy that will go to the winning team. :) http://bigredinsider.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Crawfish_Bowl_Trophy.jpg

Very nice, let's make this a real Bowl game, call ESPN.

LU4LIFE
03-02-2011, 08:39 PM
Nice!!!

CardinalClaw
03-02-2011, 09:39 PM
Maybe we can make some money off this game, we should change the name to The Lobster Bowl an see if Red Lobster will sponsor it :) just kidding. Cool trophy can't wait for tomorrow.

jdcurran235
03-02-2011, 11:27 PM
I think we might, just maybe, possibly, sorta, kinda need a bigger venue other than Humphrey Stadium. Maybe we can get exxon to build the stadium for us in Downtown and get red lobster to sponser the game. And them LU can play there as well. Then Humphrey stadium turns into a bad A soccer stadium. Lets do it. I am all for the lobster bowl!!!!!

bigred360
03-03-2011, 01:16 PM
That is what I wanted Lamar and BISD to do. Build one great stadium in SE Texas with their bond money and the money we raised there could have been a $50 million stadium but neither party was interested.

There would have been plenty of use as one of the BISD schools could have played on Thurdays, one Fridays and one Saturday about noon. Then Lamar couuld have played about 7pm.

Oh well, that is just a thought and obviously it wasn't a popular one.

That said look at the type of stadium $50 million could have built.

http://smumustangs.cstv.com/facilities/ford-stadium.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_J._Ford_Stadium

jdcurran235
03-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Nederland still has not done thier stadium rebuild and I know they have been looking at it. They could maybe work out something with that school district and the city of Beaumont and locate a stadium somewhere off of either 347 or 69 when it is up closer to LU. Again that would require Southeasttexans to work together and that is not likely. But it is a totally feasable project and consolidation always save money. It would save NISD and LU money in the long run on maintenance cost of a stadium. LU doesnt have to work with BISD.

jdcurran235
03-03-2011, 03:00 PM
The more I think about the idea above more the idea makes sense. One thing that this area is not good about is taking advantage of the fact that we do live in an area with .5 million people in it. We have many cities with 5, 10 and 20 thousand people that duplicate everything and are always strapped for money. If the cities where to consolidate simple things such as libraries and water services they could save tons of money. I think LU admins are one of the few groups that are capable of looking at the region as a whole and can take advantage of it. Especially since they are on they south side of beaumont and are within 10 minutes of the most northern part of mid county / port arthur. Thoughts anyone.

bigred360
03-03-2011, 03:10 PM
If not with BISD, the only ones to make any kind of sence would be Nederland because Port Arthur just had a multi millior dollar bond. Then PN-G just renovated their stadium and put down fieldturf.

The stadium at Nederland as to be at least 40-50 years old and I know they voted on a bond election about one or two years ago and it didn't pass.

Maybe Nederland and Lamar could work something out but I see that down the road.

As for as turning PUS into a soccer stadium they might as well take out a few thousand lower level seats out and turn it into a soccer/track and field complex.

Just random thoughts

jdcurran235
03-03-2011, 03:15 PM
I was joking about the soccer stadium but the soccer/track and field complex is a great idea.

LU4LIFE
03-03-2011, 03:18 PM
I understand the advantages of combining forces but me personally I wouldn't want to see LAMAR play football in a stadium that wasn't on campus.

CardinalClaw
03-03-2011, 03:19 PM
I think it would be a bad move to have LAMAR's football stadium off campus. It might be a good idea financially, but for some reason I just don't like it. I don't know why maybe it's just the thought of a university sharing a football stadium with middle an high schools.

bigred360
03-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Nah, the middle schools would play at the current stadium. There is no way to have two 7th grade teams, two 8th grade, a 9th grade and JV teams playing on that suggested stadium.

Just the varsity football team and Lamar sharing facilites.

Again it is probably a bad idea or it would have happened with BISD.

You are probably correct that the stadium needs to be on campus. It just that the current location really limits expansion.

LU4LIFE
03-03-2011, 03:29 PM
I would love to see LAMAR build a football stadium where to soccer stadium is that way to have plenty of room and no view of the refinery.

jdcurran235
03-03-2011, 03:30 PM
If you just moved the stadium to the other side of 69 it would not be that far off campus and it would also be off the highway. I know that LU was looking at building a nice Admin Tower over there at one time (Similar to what BU has in Waco). This would give the stadium more access and ability to expand. It would also get rid of the refinery back drop. The stadium would still basically be on campus. Also with a big stadium off the highway the golden triangle could maybe host a bowl game 15yrs down the line. which would be good for the area as a whole.

jdcurran235
03-03-2011, 03:32 PM
With a large stadium you could host high school playoff games as well and we know that brings in a lot of money.

bigred360
03-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Yep, that area Lamar could probably get for minimial dollar and there is several acres over there and it would have great access to the HWY. Then there would be a great view of the stadium from the HWY.

Even is they don't plan to build another stadium in the next 10 years that property is of great value if used correctly by Lamar.

jdcurran235
03-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Does anyone ever toss these ideas to the admin from this forum. Not to say that we are thinking of all kinds of things that they havent, but every once in awhile I am sure that there are some that come out of here that the admin has not thought of. Just a thought

bigred360
03-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Well since it wasn't a good idea for BISD and Lamar to join forces doesn't mean the City of Beaumont and Lamar couldn't have a joint effort. Especially, if like suggested Beaumont could one day hold a bowl game.

Maybe something like the city get the money from parking and Lamar keeping the rest except for a bowl game and High School playoff games where the city would get all the profits.

Lamar would again have to get some bigtime donations but the city could put a tax on Hotel/Motel rentals and anything else that would bring in tax dollars.

If the 69 location isn't good maybe build in near the waterfront downtown.

coachacola
03-03-2011, 04:13 PM
North Texas is spending about $70 million on a 30K+ stadium. Lamar's stadium will be about the same size once the expand it. If they need ever do need a 50K+ stadium then they'll need to spend at least $100K. I don't see that happening in my lifetime.

jdcurran235
03-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Just because it wasn't a good idea for BISD and LU to join forces doesn't mean that it is a bad idea either. I remember when groves built a sewer plant in port arthur. They had an interoperability agreement between the cities that saved them both money. Groves did not like beging in an agreement with PA (ego issues, I was at the city hall meeting)so the agreement crumbled. That is why the city had to go into debt to build there own when they could still be using PA. I would not be surprised if there is the very same issue with LU and BISD. BISD was using LU stadium and from what I understood they just really wanted there own stadium. I am sure there where other issue as well and this is an over simplification. But BISD did really want there own stadium and did not want to share as far as I know. It could still be a good idea between NISD and LU. You never know until the idea is pursued. Most of it is all up to how you write the contract between the two interested parties.

jdcurran235
03-03-2011, 04:18 PM
coachacola wrote:

North Texas is spending about $70 million on a 30K+ stadium. Lamar's stadium will be about the same size once the expand it. If they need ever do need a 50K+ stadium then they'll need to spend at least $100K. I don't see that happening in my lifetime.

You never know. Anything is possible. Most people didn't think LU would bring FB back but we did. I didnt think we could raise an endowment as quick as we have. You just never know.