PDA

View Full Version : I need opinions from the regulars........

Mike
03-03-2011, 02:20 PM
I've stated numerous times that new software is on the way here at BigRedInsider. The one snag that I'd like to discuss is our short history. The forum over the past month has started to grow and along with that is the history. IF/When the new sofware comes a bug is there's currently no program that we can find that will carryover all our post. In other words, the forum will be 100% completely new. All of our post counts would be starting over.

Is this something that would be an issue to anyone or is everyone fine with it? The thing is the longer we wait, the harder it'll be to let all our info go.

What are you guys thoughts?

bigred360
03-03-2011, 02:38 PM
Admin, I think we should wait until after basketball season ends for both the MBB team and the WBB team. Then we'll be at the time of year where it wouldn't mattern starting over with the new software because there isn't a lot of guys who really support the spring sports. Tennis, golf, track and baseball.

I say after the WBB season is over let's do it!

CardinalClaw
03-03-2011, 02:42 PM
bigred360 wrote:

Admin, I think we should wait until after basketball season ends for both the MBB team and the WBB team. Then we'll be at the time of year where it wouldn't mattern starting over with the new software because there isn't a lot of guys who really support the spring sports. Tennis, golf, track and baseball.

I second that.

jdcurran235
03-03-2011, 02:53 PM
I agree as well.

CardAmbassador
03-03-2011, 03:07 PM
I agree, wait till basketball is completely (hopefully the women will make us wait) done and then upgrade.

LU4LIFE
03-03-2011, 03:10 PM
I agree hold off.

coachacola
03-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Admin, shoot me an email. I'm a programmer so maybe I can help with getting the old data over to the new system when the time comes.

Mike
03-03-2011, 08:40 PM
coachacola wrote:

Admin, shoot me an email. I'm a programmer so maybe I can help with getting the old data over to the new system when the time comes.

Thx coach, I just sent you an email.

Adams
03-03-2011, 09:10 PM
At the unveiling of the new software, will there be punch and pie?

Mike
03-03-2011, 09:46 PM
Adams wrote:

Nope. Mini sausages flown in from Vienna.

CardAmbassador
03-03-2011, 09:53 PM
ADMIN wrote:

Adams wrote:

Nope. Mini sausages flown in from Vienna.

HAHA :P

AVItom
03-04-2011, 06:30 AM
Have you checked with setxsports.com to make sure its okay to switch software? I'm not sure they would approve of anything that might put them even more outdated than they already are?

CardAmbassador
03-04-2011, 07:32 AM
Avitom wrote:

Have you checked with setxsports.com to make sure its okay to switch software? I'm not sure they would approve of anything that might put them even more outdated than they already are?

I like this guy. :laugh:

Mike
03-05-2011, 04:42 PM
CardinalClaw wrote:

bigred360 wrote:

I second that.

I THINK I temporarily fixed this until the upgrade. Let me know if its better for you guys.

CardinalClaw
03-05-2011, 04:52 PM
This is a thought that would be nice for this site. I think it would be nice for members to be able to start a poll an have other members be able to vote on the topic. I have seen this on other message boards an believe it would be a great idea to have on BRI. Is there anyway we could get that done.

Mike
03-05-2011, 04:54 PM
CardinalClaw wrote:

This is a thought that would be nice for this site. I think it would be nice for members to be able to start a poll an have other members be able to vote on the topic. I have seen this on other message boards an believe it would be a great idea to have on BRI. Is there anyway we could get that done.

We hope to have the polling option with the new software.

CardAmbassador
03-05-2011, 05:46 PM
ADMIN wrote:

CardinalClaw wrote:

We hope to have the polling option with the new software.

Thanks for all of your efforts. This site is quickly becoming the premier site for Cardinal Fans!

bigred360
03-05-2011, 06:13 PM
This is what Lamar fan's, students, alumni have been waiting for and it appears the best is yet to come.

AVItom
03-16-2011, 01:47 PM
If the new software includes pm and date and time stamp then I say do it as soon as possible! It seems to be growing pretty good and I would reset it soon cause the longer you wait the more information your going to lose.

Jack
03-16-2011, 07:56 PM
If you use phpbb you won't lose any posts if you transfer. I (unfortunately) know way so much about this. Feel free to email me if you need help.

bigred360
03-16-2011, 08:03 PM
Jack, thanks for the offer and I'm sure the admin would appreciate your assistant as the site moves forward.

CardAmbassador
03-16-2011, 08:13 PM
Apparently coach is a programmer. I know some java script but that's about it when it comes to web programming. I would imagine this forum uses MySQL and the new one should too so it seems like transferring the data over is possible. I'm an amateur not an expert though.

coachacola
03-16-2011, 08:48 PM
I've talked to the Admin about the upgrade and it'll take some doing to convert the existing database to the new database. Hopefully we can find a conversion program and save all the old posts.

Mike
03-18-2011, 10:06 PM
Jack wrote:

If you use phpbb you won't lose any posts if you transfer. I (unfortunately) know way so much about this. Feel free to email me if you need help.

Hey Jack, did u get my email?