RG - Robertson (SR-1L)
RT - Collins (SR-1L)
QB - Mossakowski (JR-TR)
RB - Sims (SO-TR)
TE - McVey (SO-IL)
WR - Johnson (SO-TR)
WR - Ford (JR-2L)
WR - Franks (SR-2L)

Moss, Sims, Johnson were highly touted out of HS. Offensive line is a big question mark at this time. Sims, Garrett Harris and Harmon gives the team a lot of depth at RB that they've never had before. How much playing time do guys like Soto, Venson and Ploch get?

Defense

NT - Dorsey (SR-2L)
DE - Dickson (JR-2L)
DE - Okafor (SO-TR)
ILB - Washington (JR-2L)
ILB - Longino (JR-TR)
OLB - Malbrough (SR-1L)
OLB - Chavis (SR-1L)
CB - Thomas (JR-2L)
CB - Guillory (SR-1L)
S - Allen (JR-2L)
S - Garrett (SR-2L)

Lot' of returning players along with an upgraded coaching staff, does this equate to a much improved defense that was pretty bad last year? How much will Anthony Beard be missed? How improved will the secondary be? Will the 3-4 defense equate to big years for guys like Malbrough and Chavis?

I only went to one scrimmage this year. For those of you who have seen them practice a lot, where have I gone wrong on the starting lineup?

Mike
08-26-2012, 10:00 AM
One quick change I'd make is I have Soto over McVey to this point at TE. McVey has been hampered with hamstring problems through camp and I'm not sure he's 100% yet. Soto has looked solid.

Mike t
08-26-2012, 10:01 AM
Here's my prediction for the starting lineup against UL-L:

Offense

LT - Brock (RS-FR)
LG - Gillam (JR-2L)
C - Kelso (JR-2L)
RG - Robertson (SR-1L)
RT - Babin
QB - Mossakowski (JR-TR)
RB - Sims (SO-TR)
TE - McVey (SO-IL)
WR - Handy (FR-True)
WR - Ford (JR-2L)
WR - Franks (SR-2L)

McVey is out with a torn hamstring during spring. he is recovering from it, but he will not start.
Johnson is out with a leg issue also.

Defense

NT - Dorsey(if back from the stingger he got a few weeks back if not Prescot will start)
DE - Dickson (JR-2L)
DE - Murrill
ILB - Washington (JR-2L)
ILB - Longino (JR-TR)
OLB - Malbrough (SR-1L)
OLB - Chavis (SR-1L)
CB - Thomas (JR-2L)
CB - Guillory (SR-1L)
S - Davis
S - Garrett (SR-2L)

Just made a few little changes :)

coachacola
08-27-2012, 07:36 PM
Woodard has named a few starters so here's an updated lineup for Saturday:

Offense

LT - Brock (RS-FR)
LG - Gillam (JR-2L)
C - Kelso (JR-2L)
RG - Robertson (SR-1L)
RT - Collins (SR-1L)
QB - Mossakowski (JR-TR)
RB - Garfett (RS-JR)
TE - Soto (JR-TR)
WR - Johnson (SO-TR)
WR - Ford (JR-2L)
WR - Franks (SR-2L)

Woodard has said that Mossakowski will start at QB, Garrett at RB, Gillam at LG, and Kelso at C.

Defense

NT - Dorsey (SR-2L)
DE - Dickson (JR-2L)
DE - Merrill (JR-2L)
ILB - Washington (JR-2L)
ILB - Longino (JR-TR)
OLB - Malbrough (SR-1L)
OLB - Chavis (SR-1L)
CB - Thomas (JR-2L)
CB - Guillory (SR-1L)
S - Allen (JR-2L)
S - Garrett (SR-2L)

Woodard is expecting Chavis to have a breakout year. Also expects special teams to be the most improved.

NorthoftheBorder
08-27-2012, 11:31 PM
I think your last list is pretty close. The only change I think that should be made is Sims, but Woodard is a loyal guy, aka Bevil from the last 2 years so it will take a few games for Sims production to make him do what he already probably knows he should do!

Mr.KnowItAll
08-28-2012, 07:31 AM
They will run a 2 back system. Sure garret will get the first snap of the game but that doesn't mean he will get the most carries.

Mike t
08-28-2012, 08:13 AM
The Offense will be:

LT - Brock (RS-FR)
LG - Gillam (JR-2L)
C - Kelso (JR-2L)
RG - Robertson (SR-1L)
RT - Babin
QB - Mossakowski (JR-TR)
RB - Garfett (RS-JR)
TE - Hannah (JR)
WR - Johnson (SO-TR)
WR - Ford (JR-2L)
WR - Franks (SR-2L

Soto is out the first game due to schooling reasons.
Babin has been with the starting bunch for the last few weeks of practice. he is getting the start

coachacola
08-28-2012, 09:48 AM
If the starters are Brock, Babin, Kelso, Gillam and Robertson, that averages out to 285. Not the biggest OL that's for sure but hopefully they'll get the job done. I was looking at the UL-L 2-deep and it looks like they are running the 3-4 defense and they are young up front.

UL-L returns 4 of 5 starters on the OL and will average 308. Lamar's revamped defense will have their hands full with that bunch. Maybe their big guys will be a little slow and Lamar can take advantage of that.

CardAmbassador
08-28-2012, 09:51 AM
Well then it's noteworthy that both of these offenses have seen 3-4 defense all month long in practice, who does that favor more come game time?

red rover
08-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Garrett Baxley has had a position change. They have moved him from OL to TE and has been running plays with the first squad.

just an FYI

coachacola
08-28-2012, 02:45 PM
Garrett Baxley has had a position change. They have moved him from OL to TE and has been running plays with the first squad.

just an FYI

Someone noted in another thread that Soto won't be playing Saturday. Is this why Baxley is practicing as a TE?

Mr.KnowItAll
08-28-2012, 04:14 PM
Yes. Soto is out with some sort of paperwork issue. Not sure what happened.

Also Wempa was carted off the field at practice today with some sort knee injury. Didn't look pretty. Hopefully not season ending.

JJWooten
08-28-2012, 05:22 PM

Also Wempa was carted off the field at practice today with some sort knee injury. Didn't look pretty. Hopefully not season ending.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Lamar has the worst luck when it comes to injuries. It almost makes you wonder if it's something other than luck....

Mike t
08-28-2012, 06:05 PM

just an FYI

Thanks for joining Rover.

From what I know Baxley moved to TE for good. He has been running with first squad along with Hannah. A 6'5 230lb TE could be a nice addition.

Mike t
08-28-2012, 06:07 PM

It was actually Utterback. He had something with his ankle

Mr.KnowItAll
08-28-2012, 07:36 PM

It was actually Utterback. He had something with his ankle

Ah. Sorry it was practice jersey 74. I thought Utterback was 73. I guess one of the many differences on this years team.

Mr.KnowItAll
08-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Utterback has a high and low ankle sprain. And McVey is out this week as well. And Harmon is out as well.

Mike t
08-29-2012, 01:48 PM
Utterback has a high and low ankle sprain. And McVey is out this week as well. And Harmon is out as well.

McVey hasn't practiced since the spring. He did walk though on TUE for the first time.

coachacola
08-29-2012, 02:17 PM

McVey hasn't practiced since the spring. He did walk though on TUE for the first time.

With both McVey and Soto out I see why Baxley is now at TE. He probably would have redshirted this year as an lineman. Does anyone know the status on Soto? Hope he doesn't have to miss the whole year due to eligibility issues.

Any idea when the weekly game notes will be released showing the starters and 2-deep?

Mr.KnowItAll
08-29-2012, 02:24 PM

He has practiced in non contact drills some but he hasn't put pads on since spring for sure.

Also I Eric Arnold and Marcus Malbrough won't be playing. Both eligibility issues. Jestin White will start for Malbrough.

NorthoftheBorder
08-29-2012, 03:50 PM

He has practiced in non contact drills some but he hasn't put pads on since spring for sure.

Also I Eric Arnold and Marcus Malbrough won't be playing. Both eligibility issues. Jestin White will start for Malbrough.

Eligibility for 1 game or the season?

cardinal
08-29-2012, 05:10 PM
I know people are saying McVey is hurt but is he out? I don't like the move of Ploch to tight end it seems we are stacked there with McVey, Soto, and Hannah. I sure would like to see Hannah get more touches somehow. He is a big athletic kid, as are Ploch and McVey. I haven't seen Soto yet but I hear he is awfully good as well.

red rover
08-29-2012, 05:22 PM
[quote author=Mr.KnowItAll link=topic=37417.msg42516#msg42516 date=1346262653]

With both McVey and Soto out I see why Baxley is now at TE. He probably would have redshirted this year as an lineman. Does anyone know the status on Soto? Hope he doesn't have to miss the whole year due to eligibility issues.

Baxley was for sure going to be redshirted if on the OL....He will now be #22 this weekend.

puddin tane
08-29-2012, 07:22 PM
all these tight ends....what...we switched to the veer????

the 'flyin' puddin' offense has 1 running play...qb kneel down when we run out the clock to seal the W!!!....

Chunk that tater!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CardAmbassador
08-29-2012, 08:03 PM
Tight ends catch the ball too...

coachacola
08-29-2012, 08:13 PM
The roster on the LU website has been updated. Ploch is listed as a WR, Baxley is a TE, Chavis and freshman Hargis are listed as LBs.

Richard Alfonso is now on the roster as a 6'0 260 offensive lineman. George Orebe is a RS-SO defensive back from Houston. Are both these guys walkons?

So for Saturday's game we know these guys are out: Beard, Malbrough, Soto, McVey and Arnold. Anymore players that might not play or will be playing banged up?

Mike t
08-29-2012, 08:44 PM
Soto is just out for one game, same as malbrough.

McVey is out for farther notice. I could see him returning in the next few weeks depending on how his hamstring holds up.

They moved Ploch to TE because that's what he played in spring. He knows the routes better then Baxley does.

From what I have seen Baxley is mostly a blocking TE with about 5 or 6 routes. He is a good add to the TE's because from what I have seen they have trouble with blocking. Hannah and Ploch are fast and run good routes, well on the other hand Soto and Baxley are not the fastest but are both very tall and a good target.

MLUCO76
08-29-2012, 08:58 PM
Ploch to TE? Has he practiced there since spring? With all of these changes, what does the depth look like at tight end to start the year?

Mike t
08-29-2012, 09:18 PM
Ploch to TE? Has he practiced there since spring? With all of these changes, what does the depth look like at tight end to start the year?

No, in spring ball he was a TE. He moved to WR at the start of this year.

The TE depth looks like: Hannah, Baxley/Ploch, Henderson

CardAmbassador
08-29-2012, 10:56 PM
Thats why we have such a big roster I suppose. We have a pretty deep TE spot and the two notables Soto and McVey aren't even available.

puddin tane
08-30-2012, 12:03 AM
"Tight ends catch the ball too..."

last year we had 187 receptions...our TE combined for about 20 of those.......and McVey had most of those in 2 games...i think we had at least 8 games w/o a catch by a TE

hopefully the new OC , unlike dim whitten, knows 1) there is a middle of the field and 2) McVey is a top notch receiver.

Mr.KnowItAll
08-30-2012, 10:09 AM
Ploch is by far the most versatile player on our team. He has played both safety spots, outside linebacker, tight end, and wide receiver since being here. Pretty diverse.

NorthoftheBorder
08-30-2012, 03:55 PM
Ploch is by far the most versatile player on our team. He has played both safety spots, outside linebacker, tight end, and wide receiver since being here. Pretty diverse.

And he runs a 4.5 40!!! I would say the kid has some talent. I think he could be a good WR or back on defense. He made a great catch for about a 60 yd td with a DB all over him at the last practice I could make about 2 weeks ago. He has the strength like JJ Hayes to hold off the DB's plus he is faster!

coachacola
08-30-2012, 04:00 PM
Ploch is listed behind Franks as a WR on the game 1 depth chart.