Exclusive: Provost Umphrey Stadium Photos

Guest CardAmbassador

Guest CardAmbassador

coachacola wrote:

Very nice!!!

Thanks, I took the photos of behind the stadium to show the room for possible expansion.

CardAmbassador wrote:

coachacola wrote:

Very nice!!!

Thanks, I took the photos of behind the stadium to show the room for possible expansion.

I'm glad you took those. There's plenty of room for an upper deck, especially if it slightly overhangs the lower deck.

I also like the photos of the entrances. I can imagine the stadium wrapping around to cover the entrances. It'll be a great 30K+ stadium in the near future and will be perfect for the WAC (I hope).

• 1 month later...

CA,

The photos of Provost Umphrey are great. Meant to tell you that the first day you posted them on the Wiki, but I am a master procrastinator.

On the same Wiki, do you think the stadium description should be edited. It reads to me like it is emphasizing the 1989 discontinuation of LU football. We're back and we're bad.

Here's the Wiki comment.

Provost Umphrey Stadium (previously Cardinal Stadium) is a 16,000-seat[1] multi-purpose stadium in Beaumont, Texas. It was home to the Lamar University Cardinals football team until the school dropped the sport in the 1989. It did host the school soccer team as well as Ozen High School football team until 2009 when the university started renovation on the newly named stadium for the return of football.[2] The stadium underwent an expansion in preparation for football returning to Lamar starting in 2010.

Guest CardAmbassador
The update sounds good to me. It provides a chronological account of the stadium's history and also does a good job of explaining why the nominal stadium capacity was reduced.

Thanks, I wish I could find a good ol' English major to help me with these rewords sometimes. I feel like some of my wording is primitive but I guess it will have to do. After all, I'm only an engineer, that means I'm partially disabled where writing is concerned. :laugh: