PDA

View Full Version : A New Slant on the Johnny Manziel Story

eagle eye
08-14-2013, 11:02 AM
On ESPN.com there is an article with the headline, "Dez: I'll be mad if Johnny Manziel is not suspended!" At first I thought, "Oh Dez, you've been so good, don't go there!", but I got to thinking about it and I don't blame Dez at all. Look at what the NCAA did to him for lying about having lunch with Deion Sanders in 2009. It was an immature thing to do by a kid who didn't want to violate NCAA rules about agents and the like. It turned out the lunch with Sanders wasn't a violation but lying about it was and he was suspended 10 games ending Bryant's season and college career. Dez was in the discussion of Heisman Trophy candidates in 2009 and that hope for Bryant was dashed to bits with the NCAA ruling. Bryant doesn't have anything against Manziel or an opinion about him one way or the other but his animosity toward the inconsistancies of the NCAA is front and center. Here's a link to the ESPN article including a debate between Stephen A Smith and Skip Bayless about Dez's comments.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/9565637/dez-bryant-dallas-cowboys-blasts-unfair-ncaa-handling-johnny-manziel-investigation

Big T
08-14-2013, 11:59 AM
Keep yo mouth shut Dez! This guy really rubs me wrong.

LUSportsFan
08-14-2013, 12:39 PM
On ESPN.com there is an article with the headline, "Dez: I'll be mad if Johnny Manziel is not suspended!" At first I thought, "Oh Dez, you've been so good, don't go there!", but I got to thinking about it and I don't blame Dez at all. Look at what the NCAA did to him for lying about having lunch with Deion Sanders in 2009. It was an immature thing to do by a kid who didn't want to violate NCAA rules about agents and the like. It turned out the lunch with Sanders wasn't a violation but lying about it was and he was suspended 10 games ending Bryant's season and college career. Dez was in the discussion of Heisman Trophy candidates in 2009 and that hope for Bryant was dashed to bits with the NCAA ruling. Bryant doesn't have anything against Manziel or an opinion about him one way or the other but his animosity toward the inconsistancies of the NCAA is front and center. Here's a link to the ESPN article including a debate between Stephen A Smith and Skip Bayless about Dez's comments.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/9565637/dez-bryant-dallas-cowboys-blasts-unfair-ncaa-handling-johnny-manziel-investigation

Interesting that Dez Bryant's quotes are the exact opposite of the ESPN headline. Dez is quoted numerous times in the article saying that he hopes Manziel is NOT suspended. I didn't see one reference where Bryant said that he hoped Manziel would be suspended.

Back to the main article subject mateer, I agree with a lot that Dez is saying. There has been a lot of inconsistency in NCAA actions. The inconsistencies affect respect of NCAA rulings.

Sent from my Android device using Tapatalk 2

eagle eye
08-14-2013, 05:20 PM
Exactly right LUSportsFan! Dez said he WANTED to see Manziel play but his beef was against the NCAA and how they treat some people differently than others. Dez even gave the example of Terrelle Pryor at Ohio State who got his suspension delayed so he could play in the bowl game. Definitely a lack of consistancy by the governing body of college sports.