PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Targeting Rule

KABrother88
09-04-2013, 10:45 AM
With the college football season starting last week, the new rule on targeting was implemented. The first week of action saw 6 players hit with the 15 yard penalty and automatic ejection that goes with it. It also carries a 1/2 game suspension if the foul occurs in the second half or overtime of the game when the foul occurred. I have seen 2 of the 6 plays that drew the penalty (1 live and 1 replay) and to me neither one warranted the call. The replay was from the Northwestern vs. Cal game. Cal linebacker Chris McCain drew the penalty on this call. His suspension was overturned by PAC-12 officials after the fact so he will not have to sit out the first half of the next game.

http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/cal-vs-northwestern-2013/2013/9/2/4684520/cal-vs-northwestern-chris-mccain-ncaa-targeting

The call I saw live was Texas A&M cornerback Deshazor Everett. Even after the officials replayed the call it still stood (even the announcers disagreed with it and the Rice player said it was a clean hit). To me he should have his suspension overturned as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bvLkL3-eFk

This whole rule needs to be stopped and revisited to make sure all officials are on the same page because apparently they aren't. The actual rule is in place to penalize players that hit defenseless plays above the shoulders and try to eliminate helmet to helmet contact...I see both hits as shoulder level and Everett even lead with his shoulder. I would be willing to bet money that this rule will cause as much controversy as the replacement refs last year when a hit cost a big time team a big time game.

What are some other opinions on this matter?

eagle eye
09-04-2013, 07:54 PM
I was aware of the rule because in the Penn State-Syracuse game there was a hit on player and the announcer was asking why the defender wasn't ejected because it was a targeting hit. The replay however, showed that the man hit the offensive player in the shoulder with the shoulder. The announcer tried to justify his assertion on his call of the play by saying that officials have been told to err on the side of caution but this wasn't even close. So, between the refs and the damn announcers misreading the intent of the rule it really does need to be revisited. The rule is supposed to stop helmet to helmet hits to prevent what happened to TAMU receiver Ryan Swope who decided to retire because of concussion issues before his pro career even began. Nate Newton's boy Tre was a star RB at UT who quit football because of the concussions and I believe this and many other examples were the reason for the rule. I'm for throwing the flag if something is questionable but if replay shows targeting wasn't involve then pick up the flag and dismiss any ejection and continue playing. If a player uses his shoulder to hit and he hits at the shoulder or lower that isn't targeting. In most cases if the defender wraps up that's called a form tackle.