PDA

View Full Version : PODCAST: Red Zone Show 9/23/13

LAZEEK
09-22-2013, 07:17 PM
The Red Zone Sports Talk Show will be back in action Monday night from 6:00-7:00 at Hooters in Beaumont. Andrew Chernoff with KFDM Sports will be my co-host again this week. Lamar Head Football Coach Ray Woodard will stop by to discuss the win over Bacone College and talk about this weeks upcoming matchup with Grambling State. The Red Zone Sports Talk Show is presented by PRN Medical, Brent Walters Allstate Agency, Mathews Jewelers and Big Rich Courville's.

Please post any questions here that you have for Coach Ray Woodard.

LINK for PODCAST: http://bigredinsider.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=699:p odcast-red-zone-show-92313&catid=60:latest-texas-sports-news

LAZEEK
09-23-2013, 01:15 PM
Lets get those questions in. Show is in 4 hours!!!

lu cards
09-23-2013, 03:09 PM
does grambling provide us with any kind of a challenge?any hints on next years schedule?better ooc games?

dirtybird
09-23-2013, 03:26 PM
How well is the Offense line playing. Not hearing much about these guys.

LUSportsFan
09-23-2013, 03:30 PM
I'm a history buff.

Just wondering how the Coach feels about playing against a university with as storied a history as Grambling?

If I counted correctly, there have been 106 players that went on to play in the NFL including four NFL Hall of Fame players. Also, coach Eddie Robinson, who the stadium is named for was the second winningest Division I coach in NCAA history.

I'm looking forward to following the game. It would be nice to get the Tigers in Beaumont. Are there any plans for them to come here or is this a one and done match?

LUSportsFan
09-23-2013, 03:40 PM
A few of more...

1. Referring to the game against Bacone College, we need to bottle up that punt that hit right around Bacone's 3 yard line and took a 90 degree bounce to avoid the touch back. That could be a wicked weapon if we could perfect it.

2. Generally, how is the team health as we approach our final OOC game? I know Ploch is out for hopefully the short term which is a loss. Other than him, how are we looking overall?

3. How hard is it to evaluate the team's progress with such a wide range of competition level? Are there any games that we have played so far that could be used as a benchmark as we go forward into the season?

4. Just checking to see if it was a planned substitution to have Alex Ball finish the kickoffs in Saturday's game. Looks like we have a couple of really good kickers (kickoffs) in Juan Carranco and Alex Ball. (Looked like Alex Ball took over about midway into the 2nd quarter.)

5. It was interesting to see Kevin Johnson receiving snaps for a few plays in the second half of the Bacone College game. Is that something the team has been working on in practice?

6. Switching to the Grambling State game, how do Grambling's offensive and defensive schemes match up with the teams we'll play in conference? Are there any teams in our conference that run similar schemes?

Mike
09-23-2013, 04:24 PM
I'm looking forward to following the game. It would be nice to get the Tigers in Beaumont. Are there any plans for them to come here or is this a one and done match?

I'm sure coach will answer but I THINK they have a return trip scheduled for next year. I look forward to him confirming this though.

NorthoftheBorder
09-23-2013, 04:37 PM
What is the status of Desmond Richards??

LUcardinals2013
09-23-2013, 04:53 PM
I saw that you pulled the redshirt from Emmitt Raleigh during the Bacone game. What all went into that decision and will be the second string running back behind his fellow freshman counterpart Kade Harrington?

LUcardinals2013
09-23-2013, 04:53 PM
one more for coach, I read that Kade Harrington was this sites game MVP but who did coach have as his MVP after the impressive win vs Bacone?

LUcardinals2013
09-23-2013, 04:58 PM
I lied thought of another. Talk about how talented the southland conference is across this board this year with every team having some quality performances. heading into conference season who does he feel are the teams to beat and how does he feel about his schedule having to face 3 of the considered favorites consecutively to start the conference slate?

Mike
09-23-2013, 05:07 PM
Coach Woodard about to go on at 6:15

bigredpecker
09-23-2013, 05:11 PM
Did we just run the clock out at the end of the first half for mercy?

Mike
09-23-2013, 05:13 PM
I'm sure he's sick of answering it but does the play of Kade Harrington still surprise you?

Mike
09-23-2013, 06:18 PM
Good show tonight guys and thanks to Coach Woodard for coming on.

PODCAST: http://bigredinsider.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=699:p odcast-red-zone-show-92313&catid=60:latest-texas-sports-news

geezer
09-23-2013, 08:56 PM
Good interview. One question for future information, with going to eight conference games will Lamar accept some years of only five home games to schedule better competition or can we expect to see a D2 lower schools to maintain six home games.

LAZEEK
09-23-2013, 09:25 PM
Coach Woodard was great tonight. Really appreciate him coming on, and really appreciate Andrew Chernoff filling in for Mitch Hardt this week again. Mitch will be back next monday night for the show!!!

LAZEEK
09-23-2013, 10:16 PM
2014 schedule----

Week 1---Grambling
Week 2---At Texas A&M
Week 3 or 4---TBD (Either Week 3 or 4 will be a BYE Week)
Week 5-12 SLC Conference Games

Lamar will not play SFA the next 4 seasons in Football.

This was all verified by Coach Ray Woodard on the Red Zone Sports Talk Show tonight.

puddin tane
09-23-2013, 10:30 PM
I thought I had misheard re: SFA

Thats crap....2 hrs from Beaumont, natural rival......I could go 10 years without seeing Nichols or SELA

is the expanded conference east west? North south?

BSFwins
09-23-2013, 10:51 PM
Great show. Totally enjoyed!! Thx.

LUSportsFan
09-24-2013, 09:00 AM
I thought I had misheard re: SFA

Thats crap....2 hrs from Beaumont, natural rival......I could go 10 years without seeing Nichols or SELA

is the expanded conference east west? North south?

I agree that it sucks not playing SFA for four years. I wonder if we could work a deal where each of us use one of our OOC slots to play each other at least some of the years.

Such an arrangement might serve multiple purposes.
1. Reduce the necessity of having to schedule sub DI teams thus avoiding alienation of more of our season ticket holders.
2. Avoid a four year lull.
3. If the alternative is to schedule a sub DI team, playing each other would increase the Strength of Schedule for each.

Are there any conference guidelines that would preclude such an arrangement? We already do something similar in the other sports by playing games in tournaments which do not count for conference standings. Just did a quick check to see if there was a precedent with other conferences. Just last week, the Big Sky had two such games. (Portland State vs UC Davis and Sacramento State vs Southern Utah).

http://www.bigskyconf.com/news/2013/9/16/FB_0916133337.aspx

If it's the choice of sub DI vs SFA, I'd take SFA.

Thinking more outside of the box, would it be possible or advantageous to play some of the games at a neutral site? The pros would be greater exposure for both of our programs. The cons would be a matter of convenience for the home team fans.

geezer
09-24-2013, 10:18 AM
Until the students really get involved I wouldn't want to play at a neutral site. I know the excuses about the threatening weather, work, etc. but I doubt there were more than about 500 in the student section not counting the band. Out of an on campus housing of say 5000 that's disappointing to me.

Card Nation
09-24-2013, 10:27 AM
VERY good idea. My only concern is that we played 2 money games this year. Based on Lamar's financial situation can we afford to not schedule an FBS opponent in that third game? Anybody know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

LUSportsFan
09-24-2013, 10:39 AM
It is my understanding that the Louisiana Tech game was rescheduled from last year. LaTech had a chance to play A&M in Shreveport. The open slot was when our game with Tech was scheduled. I'm hoping that the two (should have been three) OOC games this year resulted from the scheduling changes.

My thought would be to not substitute an FBS money game for SFA, but to substitute a sub DI game with them. We've had two sub DI teams scheduled each year since we brought football back.

Looks like we'll play 8 conference games and 12 games total in 2014 so we could have room there. From 2015 forward, we'll play 9 conference games. We'll also be playing 11 game seasons through 2018 so there might be a little more strain on the scheduling. Playing two money games as the only OOC games would be one way to do it, but it would reduce the amount of available home games. FBS teams will not come to Beaumont as long as we remain FCS.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A little off subject, but in case anyone is interested, the number of allowable games each season is dependent on how certain days fall in the calendar. (I was curious what drove the 11 / 12 game seasons for FCS.)

17.9.3 First Contest. [FBS/FCS] A member institution shall not play its first contest (game or scrimmage)
with outside competition in football prior to the Thursday preceding Labor Day (see Figure 17-2). (Revised:
1/11/89, 1/9/96 effective 8/1/96, 1/14/97, 5/12/05)

17.9.5.1 Maximum Limitations--Institutional. [FBS/FCS] In bowl subdivision football, a member in-
stitution shall limit its total regular-season playing schedule with outside competition during the permissible
football playing season in any one year to 12 contests (games or scrimmages), except as provided for member
institutions located in Alaska and Hawaii, under Bylaw 17.27.2, and except as provided for all members under
Bylaw 17.9.5.2. In championship subdivision football, a member institution shall limit its total regular-season
playing schedule with outside competition during the permissible football playing season in any one year to 11
contests (games or scrimmages), except as provided for member institutions located in Alaska and Hawaii, under
Bylaw 17.27.2, and except as provided for all members under Bylaw 17.9.5.2. Twelve football contests shall be
permissible during those years in which there are 14 Saturdays from the first permissible playing date through
the last playing date in November (e.g., 2013, 2014 and 2019). (Revised: 1/12/99 effective 8/1/02, 8/5/99 effective
8/1/02, 4/28/05 effective 8/1/06, 12/15/06)

coachacola
09-24-2013, 10:47 AM
I don't think Lamar has to play 2 money games a year. Last year by playing Hawaii they got to play an extra 12th game. This year all FCS teams got to play an extra 12th game. Most years they'll only play 11 so I'm thinking with 8 conference games they'll start the season with 2 home games (FCS/D2 opponents) and a FBS road game. That will give them 6 home games a year.

KABrother88
09-24-2013, 11:12 AM
I'll be interseted to see how the middle to lower tier FBS teams start to schedule after the new bowl system is put into place. Doubt we will ever face an opponent like Ok State, or A&M next year in the future...teams that have legit shots at the championship will propbaly shy away from cupcakes in order to better their SOS.

mendelj
09-24-2013, 11:53 AM
Yes, the student section was very disappointing.

LUSportsFan
09-24-2013, 12:19 PM
As mentioned by one of our posters in another thread, it looks like there is some mis-communication about the ticket prices. I found this on the Beaumont Convention and Visitors Bureau site for our homecoming game against #13 ranked Central Arkansas on October 19. The prices quoted are full season ticket prices; not single game ticket prices.

Lamar Football Homecoming: Cardinals vs. Central Arkansas
October 19, 2013

$60 - $400

Provost Umphrey Stadium
4400 MLK Parkway
Beaumont, TX 77706
409-880-1715
Visit Website
- See more at: http://www.beaumontcvb.com/visitors/calendar-of-events/sporting/?eViewBy=month&e_sDate=10-24-2013&e_sortBy=eventDate#sthash.kleUJFnW.dpuf

For those BRI fans who may be confused about the ticket prices...

Actual ticket prices according to the online ticket purchase website are as follows.

$10.00 - General Admission
$15.00 - White Section
$20.00 - Green Section

Also, alumni can get in for $5.00 advance purchase by calling or visiting the ticket office (409) 880-1715 and mentioning the code or by entering the code on the online ticket purchase site. I doubt if you could catch a movie for that. If the concessions at theaters are like they are in Houston, you can't get your goodies for less than at Provost-Umphrey either. (The code is available on the lamar.edu alumni affairs webpage.)

In case anyone is wondering, I'm not affiliated with the Athletic Department in any way. I'm just an alumni living in Houston who wants to see Provost Umphrey filled to overflowing every game. :)

LAZEEK
09-24-2013, 01:58 PM
I'll be interseted to see how the middle to lower tier FBS teams start to schedule after the new bowl system is put into place. Doubt we will ever face an opponent like Ok State, or A&M next year in the future...teams that have legit shots at the championship will propbaly shy away from cupcakes in order to better their SOS.

Lamar plays at Baylor in 2015

puddin tane
09-24-2013, 10:23 PM
So.....does anybody know, with the larger conference....are there 2 different divisions? East/west?....why wouldn't we play a slc team for 4 years? Are we stuck in with sela and nichols? That would suck.

KABrother88
09-25-2013, 10:33 AM

Lamar plays at Baylor in 2015

I left that one out cause its not a done deal being 2 years out still...they may decide to buy out the contract and go for a bigger game...only mentioned A&M cause Woodard confimed on the show we aill be playing them week 2. Just trying to make the point that these games may start to become few and far between if teams think that playing an FBS team will help their SOS out enough to get an edge for a playoff spot.

coachacola
09-25-2013, 10:39 AM
So.....does anybody know, with the larger conference....are there 2 different divisions? East/west?....why wouldn't we play a slc team for 4 years? Are we stuck in with sela and nichols? That would suck.

I don't think so. This kinda explains the scheduling: http://www.southland.org/Sports/ConferenceNews/Article/tabid/519/article/11060/Southland-Conference-Establishes-Future-Competitive-Standards.aspx

lu cards
09-25-2013, 10:56 AM
lamar should schedule any southland team we don't play that year.play sfa home and home next 2 years.its a major schedule upgrade vs playing bacone or opsu.next years non conf games would be grambling(home),atm(road),sfa(home).

puddin tane
09-25-2013, 02:59 PM
do we have a tentative 2014 schedule?...i saw one on UCA site...they are bitching cuz they dont play mcneese

one thing with FCS scheduling..gotta be a bitch...i would imagine that the avg tooball fan doesnt know that Towson, Coastal Carolina, Wofford,and Bethune-Cookman are ranked

we could get Towson to come in , ranked #2 in the FCS...people would be going WTF?

I imagine we'll have one of those sorry SWAC teams every year..PV brought a good crowd...and their own cops and pepper spray

coachacola
09-25-2013, 03:41 PM
I magine we'll have one of those sorry SWAC teams every year..PV brought a good crowd...and their own cops and pepper spray

I have to admit, that made me laugh. ;D