PDA

View Full Version : LU Athletic Complex tour set for April 3

bigred360
03-20-2011, 06:12 PM
Lamar University will unveil its brand new athletic complex to the public on Sunday, April 3 from 2 to 5 p.m. giving Lamar Cardinal fans an unprecedented opportunity for a behind-the-scenes look at the state-of-the-art facility. Combined, the stadium and complex represent a $28 million investment that accompanied the return of football to Lamar.

Members of the Lamar Ambassadors will conduct the tours. University and athletics department officials also will welcome the public at the event and provide in-depth information about the specialized areas of this magnificent facility.

The complex is "definitely the best in the Southland Conference - easily on par with what you would expect to see at the University of Houston or Rice," said Jason Henderson, associate athletics director. "Lamar officials made every effort to ensure that this is a first-class facility."

The 54,000-square-foot athletic complex lies at the south end of Provost Umphrey Stadium. Instead of going to several different places on campus, the complex has everything student athletes need. The locker rooms, weight training and academic centers are all in one area, which greatly benefits members of all Lamar University athletics teams.

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/genrel/031811aab.html

CardAmbassador
03-20-2011, 06:15 PM
I'll be there. I haven't been on a formal tour although I have been inside the main lobby and upstairs.

CardAmbassador
04-03-2011, 05:24 PM
I'm about to head out to the tour right now. The official tour times are from 2 pm to 5 pm each tour runs about 20 minutes.

Come check it out!

CardAmbassador
04-03-2011, 09:24 PM
I just returned from the athletic complex tours.

The athletic complex is first class and anyone who didn't get to come out today really missed out. It's a beautiful facility and even more, it has all the components to build a great football team. I was particularly impressed with the Beaumont Bone and Joint Sports Medicine facility. They have equipment in there that only Major college and NFL programs have.

The weight room was also impressive. When you walk in the first thing you see is a giant cardinal head printed on the floor. The coaching staff started a tradition shortly after opening the facility that no one is allowed to walk on the cardinal so all the visitors were asked to walk around it.

I asked the strength training coach if he has noticed a difference in the the players weight training now that they have the new facility open and he said the difference is night and day. He thinks the athletic facility will play a big role in the 2011 teams success.

I also asked him who he thought was the strongest player pound for pound and he said Jacody Coleman.

Last but not least. Larry Tidwell was there the entire time. I thought he would still be in Indiana. I spoke with someone who works for Tidwell and they couldn't give me any details about the coaching search, they said he has been very good at keeping the process a secret.

LU4LIFE
04-03-2011, 09:36 PM
CA was it a good turn out for the tours?

CardAmbassador
04-03-2011, 10:00 PM
CA was it a good turn out for the tours?

I guess, there were only about 250 poeple show up but I didn't really expect many out there anyways. It's the last day of the fair and many people probably didn't know about it or had other plans.

bigred360
04-03-2011, 10:38 PM
250 isn't bad for a Sunday with this being the last weekend of the fair.

I've had a limited tour and the place is amazing!

If you like to see the Cardinal head you'll see it a lot in that facility.

NorthoftheBorder
04-03-2011, 10:56 PM
I made it out to the tour and was highly impressed. The Bmt Bone & Joint Sports Medicine facility, weight room and home locker room will blow you away. Spoke with Scott Reeves and he is impressive. Talked to him about Anthony Beard's progress and he was highly encouraged with his progress. They will be running a speed and weight training camp out there for kid's entering the 6th-12th grades this summer so that maybe something that you guys with kids want to consider. Also spoke and shook the hand of Ray Woodard for the first time. Would have like to talked with him but wasn't the right time. Spoke to Tiwell but will post something on that in the Above the Rim section.