Coaches!!! Who's in? Who's out?

lcard05

Let's hear it. No use in dancing around it. Cards go 5-7 and if we didn't schedule the three high schools we would be 2-10. Are we satisfied with this? Do I think we have the kids to do better ? YES....I tell you now from the way we played in some really big games, coaching, coaching, coaching lost those games. Kueck can't break down a defense and find out how to beat them. Does the same ole stupid stuff. Asked to leave at the high school level and we hire him..HMM?? Woodard doesn't sack Kueck then sack them both...

Yep I'll pay it, as long as I can pay him what he's worth. Yep good luck recruiting offensively with him there. By the way, who wants to come to Beaumont. The town does not support the team. You go around Beaumont, you do not see Lamar hats and shirts, you do not see business with logo's in their storefronts..

OC and Dc two old timers, old school doesn't win anymore. There are quite a few top recruits sitting on the bench watching sad upperclassmen play.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you kidding me?

5-7 with 5 losing seasons and there are 2 replies about coaching changes.

Are you guys happy with this?

Can't you see our game planning for teams is weak. we have the kids to win. Worst OC in Southland.

Every team you have to game plan for. Our offense is playing on athletic ability and no leadership.

You guys are like an ole dog that gets beat every day , you are just excepting it. Sad!

Fire Kuek, Fire Bradley! Regroup..

I think Kuek should go... I think Bradley did a good job this year but the D was on the field far to long which is Kueks fault as well. We need to go after someone who does have an innovative offense. I think we were out coached daily on the O but I think our D played pretty well.

I'd be surprised if there are any major coaching changes on this staff. Woodard is entering the last year of his current contract and there was enough chatter after the season about his job status that the school put out a press release to announce he would returning.

To me this means:

(1) What coach would want to enter a situation where there is some uncertainty surrounding the future of the head coach entering the last year of a contract?

(2) Continuity is important so why would Woodard want to replace a coordinator and have his offense/defense go through a learning curve during a season where his job could on the line?

Again, barring someone leaving voluntarily I don't see any major changes happening to the current staff.

I am not defending Woodard, Kueck or anyone else on the staff, but I am not convinced we really have the depth or talent base needed at every position. For the 2012 season many posters said we ran too much, this past year (and this will enrage some of you) despite an average quarterback we set passing records. As someone else said depth and continuity produces success. Improving the o-line and some key defensive positions is what I am looking for. This coming recruiting class may be the most important one in the rebirth of the program. Based on what Woodard was able to bring in last year I am hoping for the best.

Setting passing records with only 5 wins tells you how pitiful this program has been. Also there were three high schools in the 5 victory's. Another thing is we're throwing more because we are always behind.

Fire Kuek

If we were forced to pass the ball, it seems like the run/pass percentage would be drastically skewed to the pass. We ended the year with 47% running plays (439 attempts) and 53% passing plays (495 attempts). That's pretty close to a balanced attack. We were actually the most balanced offense in the conference in terms of attempts.

I don't think the problem is passing too much. There are some on this board that think we run the ball too much.

For comparison, here's the split for the conference. (Percentages rounded to two places)

Team Rushes Passes % Pass % Rush Difference (pass-rush %)

LU 439 495 47.00 53.00 6.00

UCA 416 557 42.75 57.25 14.49

McNeese 562 393 58.85 41.15 -17.70

Nicholls 479 390 55.12 44.88 -10.24

Northwestern 460 395 53.80 46.20 - 7.60

Sam Houston 655 333 66.30 33.70 -32.59

Southeastern LA 612 351 63.55 36.45 -27.10

Stephen F Austin 422 622 40.42 59.58 -19.16

Data Source: 2013 Southland Conference Statistics from southland.org site

Link: http://www.southland.org/custompages/stats/football/2013/confstat.htm

Whether we have changes in the coaching staff or not, areas for improvement that I came away with are:

1. Minimize the other team's big play on defense - particularly on third down. Those killed us.

2. Eliminate holding penalties on kickoff and punt returns...seemed like we had one on almost every return attempt.

3. Eliminate personal fouls. There should be no excuse for that. I saw too many of them.

4. Less predictability in the plays we run. Our run/pass percentages seem reasonable to me, but I didn't see enough variation in the plays that we ran this year.

5. More improvement on the O line. I saw improvement. We just need to keep it headed in that direction.

This team was a lot deeper at receiver than running back this year so of course they're going to throw more. The top 3 running backs from last year were not on the roster this year and only Harrington (a freshman) was a running threat.

I'm not sure who to blame but every year there's been a big turnover at the running back position. If Harrington plays next year and stays healthy and they can get one or two more decent running backs then the offense should be better.

Although the team was better this year, they only won 3 D1 games as opposed to 2 D1 games last year. Not a great improvement, but they had no embarrassing conference losses like the first 2 years. I haven't been a big fan of Keuck but I think Woodard likes having his experience running the offense.

I think Woodard was a little over his head when he got the Lamar job, but he knows how to recruit, his players seem to like him and don't give up on him, and he seems to learn from his mistakes. But I bet he'll need to win at least 7 or 8 games next year to keep his job.

Agreed. A one year extension is not exactly a vote of confidence. Based on the easier schedule, i think we have a good chance to win 7 or 8. If all we want is wins, then we should get more wins next year.

I imagine we will get at least 1 juco running back if not two.

The O line defines a team, in my opinion. We had 2 freshman starting this year and if we get Wempa back we should be improved next year.

I think JUCO signing day is the 18th. Looking forward to seeing who Lamar picks up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk