PDA

View Full Version : Did Tre Mason win the Heisman?

eagle eye
12-11-2013, 11:14 AM
I can't help but feel that Auburn RB Tre Mason may have stolen the Heisman with his awesome performances in the last two games he's played in 2013. His stats against Alabama and Missouri are astounding. Consider this Against 'Bama Mason rushed for 164 yards on 29 carries with a TD. This was against the mighty 'Bama! Missouri is no slouch either. Going in they only allowed 119 yards rushing per game but against Auburn they allowed 545 yards rushing. Tre Mason was unstoppable. He ran the ball a whopping 46 times for an even more whopping 345 yards. 345 for God's sake. That's 7.5 YPC against a team with the reputation for stopping the run.
For the season Mason has rushed for 1621 yards on 283 attempts and 22 TDs. Certainly stats worth considering for college football's biggest individual prize.

The Heisman committee announced the six finalists for this year's prize and Mason joins Johnny Manziel, AJ McCarron, Jordan Lynch, Andre Williams and the favorite Jameis Winston. To me either Mason or McCarron should be the favorites. Despite no charges being filed you can't help there is more going on in the Winston rape allegations. Will the Heisman committee take a chance on the possibility more bad press if something new comes out? Did the Tallahassee police cover up wrong doing? It's already been reported the police tried to intimidate the victim in the case because he is a Seminole football player. There seems to be a big cloud over this whole thing. Will the Heisman committee give the trophy to another Freshman after the bad press that followed Johnny Manziel in the off season? I have nothing against Jameis Winston but I just feel either Tre Mason or AJ McCarron deserves it more. Sometimes it's not just about stats. Or it should be.

LAZEEK
12-11-2013, 11:35 AM
As much as I don't want Winston to win, he is going to win in a landslide. Only way he didn't win was if he got convicted of rape.

eagle eye
12-14-2013, 11:02 AM
The Heisman will be awarded tonight and I know that Jameis Winston is the favorite but I really hope that the Heisman committee decides that a non-freshman wins the award. The controversy surrounding Winston aside, I just don't think a freshman can appreciate and represent what that aware means. For much of this year Johnny Manziel didn't do a good job of that. AJ McCarron or Tre Mason would be better picks IMO.

eagle eye
12-15-2013, 06:22 PM
I guess the Heisman is based on stats alone. Maybe that's as it should be but I'm still sorry Jameis Winston won. I don't have anything personal against Winston I just didn't want another Freshman to win the award. Besides, I still think that girl was intimidated out of her charges. I still think there's more to all that business that came out. The fact the police didn't press charges doesn't exonerate him, it just means they didn't press charges. Winston wasn't vindicated, he was just not prosecuted.

KABrother88
12-17-2013, 07:28 AM
While I too believe there was something more going on in with the Winston investigation than what was the final result I don't think voters should have considered it when selecting the "most outstanding player in college football" (notice it doesn't say upperclassman) because that would have just been an injustice to him. While stats are a major part of how people vote you can't over look the fact that this guy was the quarterback of the lone undefeated team in the country and whether you like it or not people vote that way. Told a friend that he kind of won by default cause to me there wasn't a clear number two to challenge for 1st place votes. Winston received almost 75% of the first place votes and there were 115 of the 900 ballots (another 12%) that left him completely off due to the fact that he was either a freshman or because of the cloud over him. A.J McCarron had the 2nd most 1st place votes with 79 and I feel like most of those were like a lifetime achievement award vote

eagle eye
12-18-2013, 04:48 PM
I understand that Florida State is undefeated but who have they played? Of the teams on their schedule who are worth a crap were No 12 ranked Clemson and No 22 ranked Duke team. Needless to say the strength of schedule in the ACC is woefully inferior to the SEC. It pains me to say that because I'm not a big SEC fan but it's true. But I think Winston's numbers are bloated vs a crappy schedule. A J McCarron had a helluva season and the way he stepped up in the Texas A&M game and the Auburn game was amazing. I honestly thought with the way he ended the season Tre Mason might have stolen the Heisman hence the title of this thread. What is impossible to project is how Florida State would have fared with an SEC dominated schedule. I really think Auburn is not getting any respect with the line on the game with FS starting at 8.5 points. I really think the game should be much closer than that.