PDA

View Full Version : 3 Quick Random Thoughts........

Mike
03-22-2011, 12:29 PM
These are my thoughts on three hot topics surrounding the Lamar Athletic Department. None of this info is official but rather just how I feel certain things will go down as I sit here today.

1. The MBB hire will not be a big name. This may disappoint certain people but IMO I can't see Lamar opening up the pocket books to pay a big name guy in their current financial situation. Look no further than the football program to see how the university handled their most recent coaching hire. Woodard didn't demand as much as some of the other bigger names that were available but he's done a fine job to this point. If they do a good job finding a quality guy like they did for football things should work out.

2. Coach Tidwell will remain Coach Tidwell and not AD Tidwell next season. Just hearing a few rumblings recently that make me think he will remain on as WBB coach and we'll have a new AD in place in the long run. I could be totally wrong but this is what my gut feeling is today.

3. LU doesn't NOT end up in the WAC.....yet. If we end up there I'll be the happiest I've ever been about being wrong about something. If LU has met with WAC officials and anything was decided or offered they've done one hell of a job keeping it under wraps or giving us all a big smokescreen. Nothing on LU's end has been leaked to any of our sources, and all the LU/WAC chatter has been generated from outside sources. Again, I HOPE I'm dead wrong about this one.

I could go 0-3 with 3 K's but those are my feelings as I type this.

coachacola
03-22-2011, 02:24 PM
1. I agree with you on the MBB hire and I'm ok with that.

2. The women's program will be better off if Tidwell stays on as coach. To me it smacks of small time when a coach is also the AD so hopefully Lamar will name an AD soon.

3. Lamar does have a small budget compared to the teams in the WAC so I think that would be the reason they wouldn't jump to the WAC. But they have yet to publicly say are not going to the WAC, so until they do that I think they possibility is still out there. I'm thinking late April is when we'll find out.

LUFAN
03-22-2011, 02:32 PM
I too agree with you on point 1 & 2.

On #3 is where I have some disagreement. I think if we get an invite to the WAC we will accept it.. I am not sure it has come yet but from talking to some folks from the TSUS I think our chances are good.... I think it would be the best thing for LU to join the WAC in the short and long run and I assume that the fact that an official from Lamar has not came out and said we will not be joining the WAC is a good indicator that we are working to get into the conference. I think the silence is a good thing.

Mike
03-22-2011, 02:37 PM
LUFAN wrote:

I too agree with you on point 1 & 2.

On #3 is where I have some disagreement. I think if we get an invite to the WAC we will accept it.. I am not sure it has come yet but from talking to some folks from the TSUS I think our chances are good.... I think it would be the best thing for LU to join the WAC in the short and long run and I assume that the fact that an official from Lamar has not came out and said we will not be joining the WAC is a good indicator that we are working to get into the conference. I think the silence is a good thing.

You'll get no arguments from me. :)

bigred360
03-22-2011, 02:40 PM
Well, first the MBB Head Coach position as discussed last night may not be a high dollar coach. Coach Tidwell, Coach Payton and Coach Billy Tubbs know a lot of people between the three of them.

I think they should hire Coach Cross and use the sources with the other three to help him hire three good assistants and a director of basketball operations.

Secondly, I would love to see Coach Tidwell stay on as WBB head coach and I think they can land someone who can to a good job as AD. The WBB program can be a Top 50 program in my opinion if Coach Tidwell stays on and I've heard they have about 4 recruits they are hot on. If Coach Tidwell steps down they could lose all four.

Finally, the WAC. I haven't heard a thing about us joining the WAC in a few months and something that big would be difficult to keep quiet on as they have all the media. TV, newspaper and radio. Then there are the big time donors that always get inside information and there has been none to this point.

I think you are right about all three. Coach Tidwell could decide to step down but he is coaching the Bahamas WBB national team with their summer camp being at Lamar. I don't see him coaching them and not coaching the Lady Cards.

One thing is his family is not with him as his wife is still teaching in Fort Worth.

LAZEEK
03-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Admin I agree 100% on #1 and #2. In fact I have a good idea who the AD might end up being if Tidwell goes back to WBB. He is one that was considered when Tidwell as given the Interim.

As far as the WAC goes....my source was completely sold that it was gonna happen about a month ago, within the last 2 weeks he was told that LU was totally NOT going to the WAC and now after our phone conversation today he said the talks are picking up again. Not really sure what will happen, but still hopeful for the WAC or an upgrade in conference.

bigred360
03-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Coach Payton for AD. :laugh:

If they can't get a school that is already FBS then I think it is possible we are their (WAC) third or fourth choice.

I remember when Billy Tubbs got the Oklahoma job after Coach Thompson turned them down. Coach Tubbs was asked "How does it feel knowing you were the second choice for the job." Coach Tubbs replied "I wasn't my wifes first choice either"

NorthoftheBorder
03-22-2011, 03:08 PM
LU needs both the men's FB & BB to be $150k or more. So Lets say for next year FB is $175k & BB is $150k. You can get a good up and comer for BB for that number who you can give incentives on performance that can get his pay up. Reward him in base increases and bonus if he wins the conference, Conf tournament, and then wins 1,2,or 3+ games in he NCAA tournament. Grow the job with the coach, and you can keep a really talented person around for awhile. Football the same, conf champs and wins in the FCS playoffs or bowl win in the FBS.

I think L Tidwell is a great coach and would be a great AD. I have said from the beginning that if LU wants to grow the program, you have to have full time coaches and a full time AD. Dr. Simmons has to decide. By the way, we have to make the right choice on AD, not reward a long time friend of the University who is not up for the job.

I have state on this and other forums my opinion about conferences. I want LU to move to a FBS conference, but only if they do it right. Trying to "poor boy" it in my opinion will only set the overall program back, not forward. That said, probably on LAZEEK knows the answer of whether LU is moving to the WAC. B)

bigred360
03-22-2011, 03:20 PM
North I posted this on another forum:

Yea, thanks for the update Jack. I haven't heard a word about moving up but I would like Lamar in a FBS conference and the WAC does that for LU.

As for a the next Head Coach for the Lamar MBB program I think a base salary of $200K is possible. They could probably fill it with incentives. 1) Season Ticket sales 2) overall sales 3) winning the conference 4) winning over 20 games 5) getting into the NIT or NCAA post season tournaments and 6) advancing in the NCAA tournament and an amount for each level we reach.

So for example, LU wins 25 games wins the conference (talking about the WAC) and gets to the sweet-sixteen he can make over $400K and Lamar wouldn't lose too much money because people will be filling the stands we would receive national coverage and like football coming back it would increase enrollment and school spirit.

The last two is hard to put a dollar amount on.

Edit: Last night Chad Cooper posted on here (he used his real name so I think I'm okay using it) made some good thoughts on the next head coach and he mentioned he didn't think Lamar would pay a lot for the next MBB HC. He knows a lot more than most of us about basketball in this area.

NorthoftheBorder
03-22-2011, 03:26 PM
Great minds think alike!!!!! LOL!!!

coachacola
03-22-2011, 03:51 PM
I agree with Bigred360, Lamar could offer incentives that would raise the pay up. I was reading up on Jeff Capel, the fired coach at OU, and his base salary was only $250k. All the other "extras" tacked onto his contract brought it up to about $1.5 million. Lamar could do something similar but on a much smaller scale.

Jack from bobcatreport.com seems pretty confident that Lamar will be invited to the WAC. It's possible the WAC may not invite Lamar, but if there is an invite I can't see Lamar turning it down unless they feel real confident that they'll get an invite to the Sun Belt in a few years. I just don't think Lamar can afford to wait for another invite, they need to take the first offer they get.

CardAmbassador
03-22-2011, 04:50 PM
coachacola wrote:

I agree with Bigred360, Lamar could offer incentives that would raise the pay up. I was reading up on Jeff Capel, the fired coach at OU, and his base salary was only $250k. All the other "extras" tacked onto his contract brought it up to about $1.5 million. Lamar could do something similar but on a much smaller scale.

Jack from bobcatreport.com seems pretty confident that Lamar will be invited to the WAC. It's possible the WAC may not invite Lamar, but if there is an invite I can't see Lamar turning it down unless they feel real confident that they'll get an invite to the Sun Belt in a few years. I just don't think Lamar can afford to wait for another invite, they need to take the first offer they get.

We're all going to have to wait till April. Benson and only a few others probably know the real fate of Lamar and the WAC.

jdcurran235
03-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Even though SBC is our old conference and maybe even one we prefer. I would still almost rather be in the WAC. It should be a better basketball conference and I think it would be a better football conference in time. This is all opinion though.

PNG1992
03-22-2011, 06:31 PM
After 3.5

Rice 3-2

CardAmbassador
03-22-2011, 07:57 PM
jdcurran235 wrote:

Even though SBC is our old conference and maybe even one we prefer. I would still almost rather be in the WAC. It should be a better basketball conference and I think it would be a better football conference in time. This is all opinion though.

Agree, the primary advantage of the SBC is that it's regional and the rivalries would be better. But the foot print of the SBC is very similar to the SEC and that means almost no respect because you are going head to head with arguably the best conference in the nation.

The WAC is western where the schools are a bit more few and far between so it's easier to make a name for yourself.

Each have their advantages, I agree, athletically the WAC is better.

ScreamingDeane
03-23-2011, 08:13 AM
I'm dissapointed in #1 I tell you that. It's time to quit penny pinching. Using football as an example Woodard has done a decent job I will give him that. That McNeese and SELA games last year proved that they are on the right path but imagine the publicity we would be getting if we had hired a guy like Larry Coker or Franchione. There were even rumors of Tubbs talking to Switzer. The record may have been close to the same but imagine the publicity LU gets if Switzer is on the sidelines? Saying this, Woodard is doing awesome and I hope he keeps it up.

CardAmbassador
03-23-2011, 09:17 AM
ScreamingDeane wrote:

I'm dissapointed in #1 I tell you that. It's time to quit penny pinching. Using football as an example Woodard has done a decent job I will give him that. That McNeese and SELA games last year proved that they are on the right path but imagine the publicity we would be getting if we had hired a guy like Larry Coker or Franchione. There were even rumors of Tubbs talking to Switzer. The record may have been close to the same but imagine the publicity LU gets if Switzer is on the sidelines? Saying this, Woodard is doing awesome and I hope he keeps it up.

For the money the results better be improved. If we hire a big name guy and shell out some dough I'm going to expect a few miracles like a 20 win season and such.

Could the money situation likely be a result of us buying out Roc's contract? Does anyone know what happens if Roc gets another job this year? Does that mean LU doesn't have to buy out his contract?

PNG1992
03-23-2011, 09:21 AM
CardAmbassador wrote:

ScreamingDeane wrote:

For the money the results better be improved. If we hire a big name guy and shell out some dough I'm going to expect a few miracles like a 20 win season and such.

Could the money situation likely be a result of us buying out Roc's contract? Does anyone know what happens if Roc gets another job this year? Does that mean LU doesn't have to buy out his contract?

Im sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm under the impression Lamar is off the hook for Roc's last year's salary if he gets employeed somewhere else.

From what I've been hearing he is close to getting another job which will help the university in dealing with his pay if the above is true.

REDzone
03-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Im pretty confident Roc is going to find a job.

I dont get why people are so intrested in getting a big name in here. Paying top dollar for abig time name does not guarantee wins (just ask U of H and TT).

I say go with what is proven. Go with Cross or some other young entergetic Coach that has proven they can and want to win. Fresh, young blood. That is what this MBB needs right now. The gras is not always greener on the other side! But the money is! There is coaches all over the country applying and the in opinion the best man for the job is 10 miles south of the Campus in Port Arthur.

LAZEEK
03-23-2011, 10:56 AM
I am not saying that Cross is not a good coach or anything like that, but guys there is a HUGE difference between LSC-PA and Lamar. I completely and 100% agree to bring him in as an Assistant Coach, but he is NOT ready for the pressures and duties of being at a D1 Basketball school!!!! Especially one with vultures sitting in the stands that will look to eat him up the first chance they get!!!

REDzone
03-23-2011, 10:59 AM
Thats respectful Lazeek, if they see it that way too I would love to see a Kight Cross combo.

bigred360
03-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Glad to see all the men I know have "real sources" posting on here. Thanks for joining the forum here.

jdcurran235
03-23-2011, 05:37 PM
http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=451&f=2368&t=7351694&sto=MS_96948130

Someone posed the question of what FCS schools want to join the WAC. So lets go make some noise on there board.