PDA

View Full Version : Astros Spring Training Thread

eagle eye
02-15-2014, 09:08 AM
Baseball is here! The pitchers and catchers begin workouts today with the rest of the team beginning workouts next week. I have a lot of optimism going into this season with the youth on this team and the money the Astros have spent to upgrade the talent on this team particularly in the bullpen.

Big T
02-15-2014, 09:31 PM
I can almost smell it! God I love this time of year. Looking forward to the first ST game and seeing exactly how improved this team will be. Will also be exciting to see Springer, Singleton, Folty, and Appel in ST. I think this team could make a significant leap this year. I don't think 72 wins is out of the equation. I would be very surprised to see more than that though.

eagle eye
02-16-2014, 05:51 AM
Here's some early news from spring training concerning 4 players. The article covers the rehab of pitchers Alex White and Mark Appel. It also talks about Brett Wallace's positive mind set going into ST as despite being a non roster invitee. The other item is how good Jason Castro feels after he had to have a cyst removed from the inside of his knee late last season. BTW he's feeling great!

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140215&content_id=67814298&noteb ook_id=67814714&vkey=notebook_hou&c_id=hou

eagle eye
02-17-2014, 08:13 AM
Here's an article from Astros.com about the Astros President of Business Operations, Reid Ryan. It's a nice piece about one of the guys responsible for turning the Astros into winners. A guy who seems to inspire hope that Houston won't be bottom dwellers for very much longer. After reading this article I think you'll agree the Astros are building something special in Houston.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/hou/houston-astros-president-reid-ryan-driven-by-love-for-the-game?ymd=20140217&content_id=67802318&vkey=news_ho u

eagle eye
02-19-2014, 12:42 PM
Spring Training began in earnest with position players reporting today. Everybody is in the house and ready to work. The next really significant date on the Astros calendar appears to be Feb 28th when spring training games begin with an evening contest against Atlanta. BTW that's only 9 days away.

Here's a couple of notes from Kissimmee;

> 1B prospect Japhet Amador will miss the opening of training camp and an indeterminate time going forward because he needed to return to Mexico for a family emergency. The nature of the emergency was not reported but apparently it must be pretty serious. Amador, a 6-foot-4, 311-pound slugger who signed out of the Mexican League last year and played in the Arizona Fall League, was going to compete with Jesus Guzman, Brett Wallace, Jonathan Singleton and Marc Krauss at first base this spring. It looks like that Amador's season will get started a little late. (info from Astros.com)

> New relief pitcher Jesse Crain will miss some time due to a strained calf suffered exercising in the gym at the Astros complex in Kissimmee. Crain has yet to pitch off a mound since his surgery last fall for a torn biceps. He is scheduled for an MRI to make sure no structural damage is present. (info from Astos.com)

> Here's link to Astros.com's article about GM Jeff Luhnow. It's a pretty interesting read with recounts his hiring by Jim Crane and whether the team is on course to becoming a successful franchise.

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/article/hou/houston-astros-expect-progress-in-2014-under-rebuilding-plan?ymd=20140218&content_id=67889618&vkey=news_ho u

eagle eye
02-22-2014, 12:36 PM
Here's a nice article about P Lucas Harrell who was extremely good in 2012 and he had a bad year last year. It's about turning things around getting back to 2012 form. At 28 Harrell is still young enough to be a factor for Houston for years to come and old enough to learn from past mistakes. Part of Harrell's troubles last year were between his ears and he has recognized this and is taking steps to remedy that as well.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/hou/astros-lucas-harrell-ready-for-a-bounce-back-season?ymd=20140221&content_id=68066506&vkey=news_ hou

Here's some notes from training camp which include;
> Scott Feldman and the Astros pitchers face hitters for the first time this spring
> Tony LaRussa believes both Craig Biggio and Jeff Bagwell should be in the Hall of Fame
> Astros officials participate in meetings with other league officails about expanded instant replay talks
> New Astros player Andron Chambers brings championship experience to the roster
> RHP Asher Wocjiecowski is missing time with a strained back
> RHP Jorge De Leon pulled a quad in first base running drills
> MLB TV schedule for Astros spring training games

eagle eye
02-23-2014, 10:39 AM
The Astros biggest deficiency in 2013 was a lack of runs scored and that's putting it nicely. However, there were too many games that were lost because the defense made bonehead errors allowing runs when they should not have. In the field Houston, at times, looked like they had never played baseball before. Yesterday in Kissimmee after getting the pitchers work in before rain put a damper on things Bo Porter had his team concentrate solely on defense. Nice move coach and I'm not being sarcastic! With more veteran representation than last year and not over-the-hill vets at that an MLB work ethic is being fostered. So far, I like what I'm reading about.

Here is the notepad from yesterday's practices which include;
> Astros focus on defense
> Minor league prospects report early
> Porter to implement instant replay as much as possible during spring
> Odd and Ends
Note: the O&E section check out the item about the first intrasquad game next week.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140222&content_id=68197182&noteb ook_id=68197306&vkey=notebook_hou&c_id=hou

eagle eye
02-23-2014, 05:11 PM
Today was the day for the first intra squad game. So much for a March 1st start. Regardless it was good outing for the team who batted strictly off a juggs machine that threw only curve balls. The star of the day was Carlos Correa who was one of four other Astros to hit home runs. Here's the notes from today with a slightly more detailed recap of todays events.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140223&content_id=68226808&noteb ook_id=68232436&vkey=notebook_hou&c_id=hou

eagle eye
02-27-2014, 11:12 AM
Remember Kyle Weiland? The RHP pitcher acquired by Houston in 2011 in the Jed Lowrie deal? The guy who was good enough in spring training in 2012 that he earned a spot in the starting rotation to begin the 2012 season? The guy who disappeared after his first 3 starts because he was ineffective and beginning the season felt something was kind of "funny" in his arm? Turns out he had three surgeries and didn't throw a ball in the rest of 2012 into early 2013. Here's a link to the travails of Weiland and his move to earn a spot on the Astros.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/hou/long-recovery-has-kyle-weiland-back-at-astros-camp?ymd=20140226&content_id=68351512&vkey=news_ho u

Here's somes notes for spring training in Kissimmee.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140226&content_id=68360304&noteb ook_id=68360012&vkey=notebook_hou&c_id=hou

eagle eye
02-28-2014, 02:11 PM
Check out the audio of the Astros first spring training game on Astros.com as Houston opens their schedule against the Atlanta Braves. Lucas Harrell will get the start for Houston and go 2 innings. I don't know if the game is free tonight or if you have to subscribe to MLB Gameday Audio but IMO it would be chickensh*t to charge for a spring training game. If you can you could listen on KMBE 790 am out of Houston. (Good luck with that after 6 o'clock.)

eagle eye
03-01-2014, 11:24 AM
The 'Stros started off their spring with a "W" last evening beating the Braves 7-5. Dexter Fowler, hitting lead off, led the way with 1 hit and 2 RBI's and a walk in his short time on the field. Fowler, who came to Houston in an off season deal from the Rockies, got a two run hit in the second inning. Fowler was part of a 12 hit attack by the Astros. The Astros were able to work 7 pitchers on the day. Here's a link to the game recap on Astros.com.

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/article/hou/fowler-sets-astros-on-their-way-in-win-over-braves?ymd=20140228&content_id=68477742&vkey=news_ hou

eagle eye
03-04-2014, 11:24 AM
Houston beat Miami in spring training action 4-0 in a game pretty much dominated by the Astros. It was an all around team win with 8 different pitchers combining for the shutout. George Springer showed some impressive plate discipline by working 4 walks off Miami pitchers. Springer also was 1-2 in stolen bases and he scored two runs to lead the Astros attack. Mark Krause began the scoring for Houston by hitting a solo home run in the first inning and he finished 2-4 on the day with a run scored and an RBI. The win gives the Astros a 3-1 record so far going into today's game against the Mets.

In an interview yesterday 1B prospect Jon Singleton (in the article he states he prefers Jon to Jonathan) admitted yesterday he has an addiction to marijuana. He stated he loves the feeling when he's high and as a result he failed a drug test last year for a second time and was suspended for 50 days to begin last season. A length of time that adversely effected his production and improvement. Singleton went to rehab and has not smoked weed in over a year and he's glad for it. The Astros released a statement that they are supportive of Singleton and his struggle with marijuana use. While I'm not aware of any physiological aspects marijuana use that would make it akin to alcohol or heroin or cocaine use the desire to make yourself feel better is a definite problem to face. Here's a link to the full article about Springer's trouble with pot.

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/article/hou/prospect-singleton-reveals-details-of-addiction?ymd=20140303&content_id=68657266&vkey=ne ws_hou

eagle eye
03-05-2014, 11:13 AM
If you're going off his 1/3 inning of work to start yesterday's game vs the Mets then you could definitely say starting pitcher Rudy Owens will not make the 25 man roster that starts the season in April. Owens is a hopeful to make the squad but is likely headed to the minors and yesterday's outing seems to confirm that. In that third of an inning Owens gave up 3 hits, 3 runs, a home run and 2 walks. The Astros couldn't do much against Mets pitching despite stranding base runners in scoring position in several different innings. They just couldn't manage a hit when it counted. The Astros lost 6-2 and it was an entertaining game (on radio) even though I'm not all that jacked about the Astros radio announcing team. I miss Milo and I wish they would hire somebody like Harry Doyle. Who? The character played by Bob Eucker in the Major League films. The was Owens first start and second appearance this spring but yesterday's outing is something I'm sure he'd like to forget.

The Astros have a Doran in the clubhouse again. No, not former second baseman Billy Doran. He's long since retired but he was one of the most popular players on the team during the 80's. Doran was moved to the Cubs to make room for a young guy making the move from catcher to 2nd base, despite making the All Star team the previous season, named Craig Biggio. But I digress. The current Doran is pitcher Bobby Doran. He has sort of flown under the radar on the list of prospects I guess because he doesn't have an overpowering fastball or a wicked curve or knuckleball. What he is is steady. That's sort of a misleading description of Doran though. In his last two years of work in the minors between AA and AAA he is 25-8 with a 3.51 ERA and 2.6 walks per nine innings. Doran doesn't have an blazing fastball. He brings it in at 88-92 mph but it doesn't mean he's a lightweight. Greg Maddox didn't throw smoke but he'll be in the Hall of Fame sooner rather than later. I'm not saying Doran is headed for the Hall but I am saying he may be worth keeping an eye on as the spring progresses. Doran pitched a scoreless 7th against the Mets yesterday giving up a hit, a walk and notching a strikeout.

eagle eye
03-06-2014, 05:50 PM
Here's a link to the page that lists the top 20 prospects coming up through the Astros farm system from MLB.com.

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2014/#list=hou

Big T
03-07-2014, 09:43 AM
Stacked, just stacked! Plus the number one overall pick again this year! Luhnow has placed this team in the best position he could to succeed and now these players need to develope and take over. Seeing this list excites me to no end.

eagle eye
03-07-2014, 08:09 PM
I've been listening to games this week and George Springer has gotten his first work past week and so far he's done something that he hasn't done to much so far in the minors--show some patience at the plate. In his first game had a walk to go along with being hit by a pitch. He scored twice without a hit. His second game he got two AB's going 1-2. In his third game he didn't have an official at-bat meaning of the 4 plate appearances he had were all walks. Not just 4 pitch walks but walks earned after working a 3-2 count. That's all four times. Impressive, no? He also scored 2 runs and added a stolen base to his line. His 4th game he went 0-2 with K. In today's game he went 0-3 but he scored a run because he legged out a double after the Nationals center fielder misplayed a fly ball. He came around to score on a sac fly by Marwin Gonzalez. So far his batting line this spring in 5 appearances is this: 8 AB's, 5 runs, 1 hit, 5 BB's, 3 K's, 3 SB's, 1 HBP and reached on an error. His OBP is .462 with a .143 BA and a .125 SLG.
What all this means is Springer has changed his approach a the plate so far and he's getting on base, using his speed and has terrorized opposing pitchers with his legs. In today's game they said he got a pitcher he liked and he was still aggressive enough to take a good hack at it. Even though he missed it tells me he's locked in already and when he starts making contact look out! It is not beyond the realm of possibility Springer will be in the lineup on opening day.

Today, Houston lost to Washington 8-5 behind a bad first inning by starting pitcher Bret Olberholzer who gave up 5 hits including 2 HR's with a K in a 6 run 1st inning. He pitched a 1-2-3 2nd to end his day but Houston couldn't overcome the disastrous opening frame. Jerome Williams came in the game in the sixth after pitching 2 scoreless innings in 2/3 of an inning he gave up 2 runs on 2 hits, no walks and K to give the Nats a little breathing room.
All wasn't gloom and doom with Houston. Marc Krauss had a real nice day going 3-4 with a homer and 2 runs scored in 4 ABs. Carlos Corporan was 1-2 with a walk and 2 RBI's. The Astros used six pitchers today with Peter Moylan, Josh Zeid, Kevin Chapman and Josh Fields all holding the Nats bats to no runs on a K and 2 BB's. Not bad.

eagle eye
03-10-2014, 01:00 PM
The Astros had a rough start to the weekend losing split squad games against the Yankees and Phillies on Saturday but they came back a eeked out a victory over Toronto 4-3 Sunday on the strength of a Jason Castro home run in the bottom of the sixth that tied the game. It was Castro's first homer of the spring after going 0-10 in his previous at-bats. RBI singles from Marwin Gonzalez and Carlos Perez gave the Astros the lead and the victory in the bottom of the 8th after the Jays had taken a 3-2 lead. Houston, behind Lucas Harrell's 3rd start of the season, will face the Washington Nationals. The Astros played the Nats last Friday and got whooped. Hopefully, tonight they will fare a little better.

I tried to watch the Astros-Yankees game Saturday afternoon. The key word is tried. MLB blackout rules cause Directv to not show the game because, in theory, the game was available on ComCast Sports. NOT! The ComCast deal is already a sore spot because now that the Rockets are playoff contenders we still can watch them and it's quite apparent we won't be watching the Astros either. Oh, and don't buy the MLB.com video package because it's only good for "out of market" games which mean we are withing the 100 mile radius of Houston, hence they are an in market team. MLB and their blackout rules suck and ComCast just sucks. Today I got an email from Time Warner Cable saying they were in the middle of a merger with--wait for it---ComCast! They said the merger would result in better tv, phone and security services from the company. Great! Better everything! Then they said the merger would be complete in LATE 2014. So, it doesn't appear there will be a resolution to the programming of Rockets and Astros games very soon. No telling when a resolution with Directv or Dish Network will happen. I know from following the Astros that owner Jim Crane is none-to-happy with the radio and TV deals Drayton McClain left him with.

The Astros have made their first cuts of the new season. On Sunday morning they optioned 8 players to the minor league camp. The players were pitchers Jake Buchanan, Bobby Doran, Jason Stoffel and Nick Tropeano, infielders Jonathan Meyer and Ronald Torreyes and outfielders Leo Heras and Preston Tucker. They also optioned right-hander Paul Clemens to Minor League camp. All but Clemens were not expected to make the final club but the experience of being a big league camp was good for them. Clemens was a bit of a surprise but his results were mixed at best.

eagle eye
03-10-2014, 08:02 PM
The Astros beat the Nationals today on the strength of Jonathan Villar and Carlos Corporan's bats and nice outings from pitchers Lucas Harrell and Mark Foltynewicz. Corporan was 2-3 with a homer, 2 RBI's and 2 runs scored. Villar was 1-3 with 3 RBI's, a run scored and a walk. Harrell pitched 4 full innings giving up only two hits with an earned run, one walk and one strike out. Folty went 2 innings with one run allowed. The amazing thing is his efficiency. He threw only seven pitches in two innings! SEVEN. He faced seven batters and recorded all 6 on ground ball ball outs including a double play. He gave up a home run to lead off the sixth to RF Steve Souza. But, are you kidding me? Seven freaking pitches? In a park like Minute Maid you want to see a guy who gets a lot of ground balls and Folty surely was that today.

eagle eye
03-11-2014, 09:51 AM
Of the three players Houston signed prior to last season that were expected to add pop to a weak line up only one, Chris Carter is still with the club. Rick Ankiel never made it past the middle of May 2013 and Carlos Pena lasted until the end of July before he was released but even so he wasn't getting any playing time. All three were around .225 lifetime hitters who struck out a lot and that didn't change one bit. In fact, Chris Carter led the major leagues in strike outs (212) and SO percentage (36%). This is in contrast to the fact he hit 29 homers with a .451 slugging percentage. The fact is his 212 K's was the 3rd highest amount in MLB HISTORY! Here's a link to the Astros.com article about Carter's quest to become a more selective hitter. To say he's improving is an understatement and the article will give all the details.

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/article/hou/astros-slugger-chris-carter-working-to-be-more-selective-at-the-dish?ymd=20140310&content_id=69087892&vkey=news_ho u

Here's a link to an article from Astros.com with spring training news and notes including the Astros designating 4 players to minor league camp including No 12 prospect C Max Stassi getting the Astros ST roster down to 52. Also a closer look at Lucas Harrell's outstanding 4 innings of work against Washington yesterday.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140310&content_id=69076124&noteb ook_id=69076126&vkey=notebook_hou&c_id=hou

eagle eye
03-12-2014, 07:44 PM
Houston faced the Washington Nationals today for what seems like the 30th time this year. Today's game was delayed for a while by rain but once it got started it was a pretty exciting game from a high scoring standpoint without getting ridiculous. The final score was Houston 10 and the Nats 9. The final margin of victory came off the bat of George Springer who hit a two run walk off single scoring DeLino DeShields, and Marwin Gonzalez who singled earlier in the bottom of the ninth.
Nine of the 14 hits the Astros put up came off the bats of DeShields, Gonzalez, Springer and Jason Castro. Seven of the Astros RBI's came from these same four players. The Astros offense was able to overcome shakey outings by pitchers Jerome Williams who actually pitched well for 3 innings but he got victimized in the 4th that started with a misplayed pop up by Jonathan Villar. Of the 4 runs Williams surrendered in the 4th none of the runs was earned. Rhiner Cruz also got roughed up but his problem was he couldn't get anybody out. In 2/3 of an inning Cruz managed to give up 4 runs, all earned, on 3 hits and a walk. Of the six pitchers Houston used I'm sure they didn't expect the veteran guys to be the ones who were tagged with all but one of the Nats 9 runs.
Next up Houston travels to Dunedin, Fla to face the Blue Jays. Dallas Kuechel will get his third start of the preseason. Jason Castro, Jose Altuve, Jonathan Villar, Dexter Fowler and Mark Krauss will not make the trip with the team.

One item of note: Brett Wallace has been given his unconditional release. With a glut of 1st basemen and Matt Dominguez entrenched at 3rd base there just isn't room for Wallace. He came to Houston a highly touted prospect but he never became the player they wanted. He did well in the minors but it just didn't translate to the bigs.

eagle eye
03-13-2014, 07:40 PM
Houston hung on to beat the Toronto Bluejays today on back of 2 home runs by 2nd year phenom Carlos Correa and a home run by Jon Singleton. The home runs by Correa were the first two of the spring and were just part of a day that say him go 2-5 with 3 RBI's and scored two runs. He was also very good in the field. Singleton was equally impressive as he went 1-3 with a run scored and an RBI go along with 2 walks further illustrating Singleton's success at becoming more of a selective hitter and cutting down on his strike outs. Dallas Keuchel started and pitched 4 scoreless innings earning him the win today. His ERA so far this spring after 3 starts is 0.00. Collin McHugh came in after Keuchel's day was over and he struggled giving up 3 earned runs on 4 hits and a walk. Josh Zeid, Kevin Chapman, Chia Jen Lo finished off the Bluejays with Lo getting the save.

Houston takes on the St Louis Cardinals tomorrow at 12 Noon. The Astros are now 7-6 on the preseason winning their last four after losing 5 in row before the current winning streak.

eagle eye
03-20-2014, 06:58 PM
The starting pitching rotation is coming together as two more pieces were added to the Houston starters club. Earlier in the week RHP Scott Feldman was named the opening day starter and today Bo Porter named RHP Jared Cosart the #2 man in the rotation. The #3 man will be LHP Brett Olberholtzer. The naming of Cosart to the starting rotation was evidently not affected by his poor outing earlier this week in which he gave up 6 hits and 5 earned runs. Porter was quoted, "For me, you look at what Jarred Cosart was able to do last year, I was pretty comfortable with him being one of the guys who was going to be in our rotation," Porter said. "Last night, you got a chance to see a guy who has an opportunity to be a front-of-the-rotation guy. When he's locked and if we get that type of consistency, he's going to pitch to his potential."
Porter said right-handers Lucas Harrell, Jerome Williams and Brad Peacock and left-hander Dallas Keuchel are the remaining candidates for the final two spots in the rotation. Harrell got the chance to get back on the mound today after being bombed in his last start. He came back last night facing the Phillies. He went 4-1/3 giving up six hits and only one run. Kevin Chapman gave up 2 runs in relief of Harrell in his 1.2 innings of work but it was reliever prospect Darin Downs who gave up the runs that allowed the Phillies to open up a bit of a lead that became the final margin of victory.

One item of note. It is being reported that the smokin hot spring that Marwin Gonzalez is having could actually allow the Astros to keep an extra pitcher on the roster. Gonzalez has played almost every position in the field short of Pitcher and catcher. The one thing that could make the biggest difference is the fact that Gonzalez has worked hard on his hitting and it's paid off so far through 17 games with a Grapefruit League second best BA of .441.

eagle eye
03-22-2014, 11:24 AM
Scott Feldman made his second start yesterday and he wasn't all that sharp. Not good with opening day less than two weeks away. The really disturbing thing is the lack of runs being scored. This is beginning to look like last season and that's not good. I know Houston isn't going to challenge for a playoff spot but I expect them to be better than last year. But, if they don't start putting up some runs it will be really hard to be any better.

baller
03-22-2014, 01:23 PM
It would be a tough job selling season tickets for the Houston Astros the last few years.Probably tougher than coaching the Washington Generals.

Big T
03-22-2014, 06:17 PM
Scott Feldman made his second start yesterday and he wasn't all that sharp. Not good with opening day less than two weeks away. The really disturbing thing is the lack of runs being scored. This is beginning to look like last season and that's not good. I know Houston isn't going to challenge for a playoff spot but I expect them to be better than last year. But, if they don't start putting up some runs it will be really hard to be any better.

It is Spring Training... Lol I have seen teams win eight ST games and be play off teams and I have seen some win 20+ and lose 90+ games. Calm down EE!

eagle eye
03-23-2014, 04:29 PM
I gotcha Big T although I really didn't seem not-calm! The Astros pitchers are working on pitches right now. Some guys, like Lucas Harrell are just trying to fine tune what they do. I get it. It's just a bit late in spring training to struggle. I'm concerned. I am more than a little more than worried at the lack of run production though. Let's look back at the last week or so of games.

3/16 - vs Nats 4-3 loss
3/17 - vs Braves 4-0 loss
3/18 - vs Marlins 8-1 loss
3/19 - vs Nats 2-0 win
3/20 - vs Phillies 6-3 loss
3/21 - vs Marlins 7-2 loss
3/22 - vs Cards 5-2 loss
3/23 - vs Cards 6-3 loss

That's 8 games and the Astros W/L record in 1-7 with a total of 16 runs. Even a remedial math student like me can figure out that's 2.0 RPG Ave. So, this past week Houston has not hit for power, for average or done a good job situational hitting. That, my friends, ain't too good! While we give our own pitchers a little leeway because "it's spring training" then why can't our hitters capitalize on other staffs doing the same thing? Houston could have won more than the 51 games they won in 2013 if they had some run support. It doesn't look like we will strike out as much as last year but we were historically bad last so we really couldn't get much worse. It's like rooting for men's basketball. You just want the guys to be good and it's so doggone hard to be patient!

By the way. MLB has officially begun? Don't look now but the Dodgers and the Diamondbacks kicked off the season with a 2 game set in Sydney, Australia. The Dodgers won both games and were pretty much a hit as good will ambassadors for the USA and baseball. On the field that is. I read on ESPN that the Dodgers are already pissed with 2nd year phenom Yasiel Puig. Puig didn't do squat in the first game but rebounded with a 3-5 and one RBI performance in the second game. The rub came when Puig made two bonehead base running errors getting put out both times so the 7-5 margin in the final game could have been bigger. I'm not greedy, I'm just saying. Puig is an amazingly talented player but he seems to have this "I'll do whatever the hell I want to do." sort of attitude which sort of rubs manager Don Mattingly and some of his teammates the wrong way sometimes. Not hitting a cutoff man, base running errors and an occasional lack of hustle have fans wondering if they even like this guy. If he's not a prima donna he's well on his way. I hope, for a guy who went through hell just to get to the United States, shows some appreciation of his own talent and straightens his act up. ESPN's Colin Cowherd is a big supporter of Puig and I'll be interested to here what, if anything, he has to say about him tomorrow.

KABrother88
03-24-2014, 10:27 AM
Honestly, I don't like the fact that MLB is starting the season overseas...I get that they are trying to globalize the league but those people would probably show up even if it was an exhibition game...probably the worst is that both of those games counted as home games for Arizona...why not split them into 1 for Arizona and 1 for LA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Guy
03-24-2014, 11:30 AM
I've got the Astros winning 91 games this year, guy. Deal with it.

eagle eye
03-24-2014, 12:45 PM
Hey Guy,
91 games eh? Are you delusional or do you still believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny? In most divisions 91 games is enough to go to the playoffs if not win the division outright. So, you're telling me that a team who won 51 of 162 games last season and has 3 consecutive 100+ loss seasons (that means they've won 61 games or less) will win 91 games? Hope springs eternal in the spring, especially in baseball, but that's a little much. Frankly, I hope you're right but I just don't see it. The 90+ win seasons are definitely coming but probably not this year. I was called crazy by Big T last year when I said Houston would win 70 games. In fact, I lost a bet on that one (you're welcome Big T).

As for KABrother88's deal on the MLB season starting down under in Australia, I agree whole heartedly. I could sort of understand, in past seasons, MLB beginning their season in Japan. Japan idolizes USA baseball and we import players from there and other spots in the far east all the time. I've been to Japan and China and that flight is brutal. Thirteen hours to Japan so I can't imagine the flight to Sydney, Australia. I also agree that Arizona got screwed out of 2 home games. It should have been 1 and 1 unless they agreed on a coin flip. Either way is sucks. Almost as bad as NFL games in London.

Hey Guy
03-24-2014, 12:48 PM
Hey guy,

Thanks for taking my call. The deal here is that the Astros are primed and ready to dominate. They suffered last year with youth but they were salty. Salty, I tell you. Now they have experience and a can do attitude and where I come from that gets you a long way, guy. Back in the 90's I worked at Market Basket and had that very attitude... where did that get me? A job at Coca Cola, guy. 91 games.

Big T
03-24-2014, 02:48 PM
I've got the Astros winning 91 games this year, guy. Deal with it.

That must be some pretty good shit you are smoking! If they lose 91 games I will be happy! I mean c'mon dude, get real.

Big T
03-24-2014, 02:49 PM
Hey Guy,
91 games eh? Are you delusional or do you still believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny? In most divisions 91 games is enough to go to the playoffs if not win the division outright. So, you're telling me that a team who won 51 of 162 games last season and has 3 consecutive 100+ loss seasons (that means they've won 61 games or less) will win 91 games? Hope springs eternal in the spring, especially in baseball, but that's a little much. Frankly, I hope you're right but I just don't see it. The 90+ win seasons are definitely coming but probably not this year. I was called crazy by Big T last year when I said Houston would win 70 games. In fact, I lost a bet on that one (you're welcome Big T).

As for KABrother88's deal on the MLB season starting down under in Australia, I agree whole heartedly. I could sort of understand, in past seasons, MLB beginning their season in Japan. Japan idolizes USA baseball and we import players from there and other spots in the far east all the time. I've been to Japan and China and that flight is brutal. Thirteen hours to Japan so I can't imagine the flight to Sydney, Australia. I also agree that Arizona got screwed out of 2 home games. It should have been 1 and 1 unless they agreed on a coin flip. Either way is sucks. Almost as bad as NFL games in London.

Thanks for that sucker bet EE! Haha I love my hat btw.

eagle eye
03-24-2014, 05:44 PM
Haha. Winners talk, suckers walk. I am summarily humble.

eagle eye
03-24-2014, 07:44 PM
Houston finally scored more than 3 runs in a game tonight. It certainly helped as Houston beat the Braves 7-5 and it was encouraging to see some runs scored. Dexter Fowler and Robbie Grossman led the way with a total of 5 hits, 2 RBI's and a run scored between them. Fowler is looking like an excellent leadoff man and maybe Grossman is edging out Jose Altuve at the top of the lineup. Considering how good Altuve has been it's nice to have some potential firepower in the lineup. As for Altuve? He went 2-5 with a run scored hitting cleanup! See what I mean? Starting pitcher, Dallas Kuechel, struggled a bit giving up 5 hits and 4 runs in his 4 innings of work but 5 different pitchers had Kuechel's back and despite giving up early runs Houston hung in there an came back with runs in the middle innings to take control of the game. I should have bitched about the lack of runs days ago!

Here's a link to the daily notes page on Astros.com. Today Houston made some cuts, including P Josh Zeid, to trim the roster to 30 players. The Astros will be leaving Florida in a couple of days for the Alamodome for some exhibition games there before they start the season next Tuesday. GM Jeff Luhnow says the 25 man roster should be set before they leave. Did you catch that, only 7 days until the games count!

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140324&content_id=70016468&noteb ook_id=70016666&vkey=notebook_hou&c_id=hou

eagle eye
03-26-2014, 01:29 PM
The Astros conclude their Grapefruit league games this evening as spring training winds down. The regular season is 6 days away! Houston will be sending opening day starter Scott Feldman to the hill tonight in what will be his spring training finale.

The Astros are off tomorrow as they prepare for a game Friday in San Antonio vs the Rangers and split squad games on Saturday. Half the roster will be in San Antonio to face the Rangers again and the other half of the team will play at the Juice Box against Mexican League Rojos de Aguila de Veracruz. The game at the Alamodome is at 1:05 PM and the Juice Box game is at 7:10 PM. The Astros conclude their exhibition season Sunday with a game against the Rojos at 1:10 PM followed by a day off Monday and TA-DA, opening day at the Juice Box against the Yankees! I won't make the opening series but I've got tix to the Saturday game against the Angels. This game is special because there will be a pregame ceremony for the retirement of P Roy Oswalt and 1B Lance Berkman to honor their careers and they will both be saying a few words during the ceremony. Good times were had enjoying Mr's Oswalt and Berkman play. Once an Astro always an Astro.

eagle eye
03-28-2014, 01:13 PM
The Astros won their last gradefruit league game Wednesday over the Mets by a score of 9-6. Yes, I really should have bitched about lack of runs scored a couple of weeks ago because since the post I made last Sunday because the two games they've played they scored 16 runs!

Personal notes:
> Mark Appel, Houston No 1 pick in last year's draft got the win by pitching a perfect 7th inning with 2 Ks. Appel has been limited in spring training because he had an emergency appendectomy in late January.
> Scott Feldman had a good outing, not great, good, for his last tune up for the Yankees next Tuesday. 5.2 innings 5 hits and 3 runs with no walks and 6 K's. He did give up a 2 run homer to C Anthony Recker in the 5th. The homer and a run charged to Feldman in the 6th accounted for the runs he gave up. Until the 5th he had pitched 4 scoreless retiring the Mets 1-2-3 in 3 of the 4 innings. Nice tune up for Feldman.
> Kevin Chapman struggled for the second time in the past week giving up 3 runs in 2/3 of inning of work in 8th on 4 hits with a K. Chapman has been pretty good most of the spring but the last couple outing have to worry Bo Porter some.
> I will be shocked if anyone but C Carlos Corporan is the DH on opening night. Corporan has really been good at the plate this spring. He continued his nice spring Wednesday be being the offensive star of the game. He went 2-4 with 2 RBIs and 2 runs scored. Corporan batted .303 through Wednesday night this spring.
> I said it earlier this week but the starting lineup on Tuesdays opener will include Dexter Fowler leading off, Robbie Grossman hitting 2nd and Jose Altuve batting cleanup. Jason Castro will likely hit 3rd. Castro and Altuve are the best hitters right now in the Astros lineup. I could easily see Carlos Corporan hitting 5th at DH or maybe RF LJ Hoes with the other hitting 6th. That leaves Chris Carter, Matt Dominguez and Jonathan Villar at the bottom third of the lineup. I want to see the opening day lineup to see how close I am.

eagle eye
03-29-2014, 07:54 PM
As the Astros spring training winds down it's good to see Houston playing some good ball. There are some encouraging signs a Tuesday's opener against the Yankees draws closer.

In last night's game the Stros held on to beat the Rangers at the Alamodome 6-5. It didn't really have to be that close but some shaky pitching in the middle and late innings made the game more exciting than it needed to be. Jerome Williams got the win with three innings of 3 hit, one run ball. Brad Peacock did well in relief of Williams going 3 scoreless innings allowing 3 hits with 4 K's and no walks. After that the pitchers seemed to be trying to give the Rangers the game. Chad Qualls gave up one run in his inning of work as did Jake Buchanon in his inning or work. The closer last night was Jason Stoffel and he gave up 2 runs on a 2 run homer to CF Michael Choice giving the Rangers hope until he got the Rangers Adam Rosales to ground out to Carlos Correa to end the game. The Stros scored 4 runs in the 1st inning off Rangers starter Matt Harrison mainly on the shoulders of a 3 run dinger by Chris Carter. The Astros scored the winning run in the top of the ninth on the back of 2 Rangers errors and an RBI single by George Springer which padded a 5-3 lead at the time. It's a good thing because, as mentioned before Jason Stoffel was feeling generous last night.

Earlier today the Astros walloped Rangers today 13-6 in a home run fest. Dallas Keuchel got the win going 4.1 inning but he struggled today giving up 6 hits including 2 home runs. 4 of the 5 runs credited to Keuchel were earned but beside the homers he did log 5 K's and a walk. Keuchel is in the running for one of the last two spots in the starting rotation and today's game couldn't have helped his cause. The Astros had some firepower of their own today as 4 Astros went deep on the Rangers. Jesus Guzman and George Springer homered back to back in the 1st, Jonathan Meyer got a grand slam in the 5th and Nolan Fontana added a 3 run shot in the seventh. For Springer, Meyer and Fontana it was their 1st homer of the spring. It is really nice to see Houston scoring runs as the regular season approaches.

Tonight the Stros are facing a Mexican League team in the Rojos de Aguila de Veracruz (Vera Cruz Red Eagles) at home at the Juice Box. The home team is winning on the strength of a solo homer by Dexter Fowler and a sac fly by Matt Dominguez. Bret Olberholzer has gone six so far giving no runs on two hits and 2 K's and no walks.

Last summer's No 1 pick Mark Appel will get the start against the Rojos in the spring training finale at the Juice Box tomorrow afternoon.

eagle eye
03-30-2014, 04:50 PM
The spring training season if over! A day to rest and take a big deep breath and the regular season begins. Not only does it begin it's a pretty high profile beginning. Last season's opener was high profile. Make no mistake about it with the Astros debut as an American League team and against their intrastate rivals the Texas Rangers. Houston stood up on a nationally televised game and beat the Rangers in a packed Juice Box. Unfortunately, the season went downhill after that. This season sees the Astros with better prospects for their season. They probably won't be challenging for a playoff spot but it's quite likely their run of 3 consecutive 100 loss seasons ends at 3. As the youth the team has been bringing along begins to filter up to the big club a ray of hope can be seen on Houston's horizon.
It's not just hope that fuels this season's opening game. No, it's a national spotlight that will be on Minute Maid Park on Tuesday night. Why? Because it's the freaking Yankees, that's why. One of the 2 or 3 most recognized franchises in sport. Even though they had a down year in last season but they have spent some of what seems like a bottomless pit of money to help reload. Has it been enough to get the Yankees back on top? Who knows. That's why they play the games but on Tuesday the young and hungry Astros have them at home. Let's home that a dominating performance is more than a flash in the pan this season. My money is it's not but I really hope we put a-hurtin' the Bronx Bombers three games in a row.

The Astros completed their preseason by beating the Vera Cruz Red Eagles both games. They hung on to win 2-0 last night and they completed the spring with a 6-1 win. Nice end to the spring with a six game winning streak. Last year's No 1 pick Mark Appel did a good job in his first game at the Juice Box. He went 3 innings giving no runs on two hits and 3 K's and no walks. He won't be in Houston this year but a good season in the minors and he could be in Houston next season.

A couple of reminders:
> Before Tuesday's opener two Houston icons will be handling the first pitch duties for the Astros. Nolan Ryan will throw out the first pitch to another Houston icon Craig Biggio. Ryan is already in the Hall of Fame and I have no doubt that Biggio will join him next year. He should be there now but for one lousy vote. A vote I'm certain he'll get and probably more the next time the tally for the HOF is taken.
> On Saturday before the second game in the series with the Los Angeles Lakers Lance Berkman and Roy Oswalt with be honored with a retirement ceremony. In the following link it appears there a number of baseball icons that will be at the Juice Box this week.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2014_04_01_nyamlb_houmlb_1&mode=prev iew&vkey=preview_web_home&c_id=hou

This is it for me on this thread. The spring is over and the games will begin to count. This spring seemed short for some reason. I can't explain it but I am really looking forward to this week's events. Not only is baseball kicking off for real but the Final Four will begin Saturday at Cowboys AT&T Stadium. It's a big week in sports and I can hardly wait!

KABrother88
03-31-2014, 06:52 AM
I said it earlier this week but the starting lineup on Tuesdays opener will include Dexter Fowler leading off, Robbie Grossman hitting 2nd and Jose Altuve batting cleanup. Jason Castro will likely hit 3rd. Castro and Altuve are the best hitters right now in the Astros lineup. I could easily see Carlos Corporan hitting 5th at DH or maybe RF LJ Hoes with the other hitting 6th. That leaves Chris Carter, Matt Dominguez and Jonathan Villar at the bottom third of the lineup. I want to see the opening day lineup to see how close I am.

Here is what Bo Porter has decided to turn to tomorrow evening...not sure why we are starting today like everyone else minus LAD/SD who played last night

1. Dexter Fowler CF
2. Robbie Grossman LF
3. Jose Altuve 2B
4. Jason Castro C
5. Jesus Guzman 1B
6. Chris Carter DH
7. Matt Dominguez 3B
8. L.J. Hoes RF
9. Jonathan Villar SS

SP Scott Feldman

Big T
03-31-2014, 10:09 AM
I said it earlier this week but the starting lineup on Tuesdays opener will include Dexter Fowler leading off, Robbie Grossman hitting 2nd and Jose Altuve batting cleanup. Jason Castro will likely hit 3rd. Castro and Altuve are the best hitters right now in the Astros lineup. I could easily see Carlos Corporan hitting 5th at DH or maybe RF LJ Hoes with the other hitting 6th. That leaves Chris Carter, Matt Dominguez and Jonathan Villar at the bottom third of the lineup. I want to see the opening day lineup to see how close I am.

Here is what Bo Porter has decided to turn to tomorrow evening...not sure why we are starting today like everyone else minus LAD/SD who played last night

1. Dexter Fowler CF
2. Robbie Grossman LF
3. Jose Altuve 2B
4. Jason Castro C
5. Jesus Guzman 1B
6. Chris Carter DH
7. Matt Dominguez 3B
8. L.J. Hoes RF
9. Jonathan Villar SS

SP Scott Feldman

I actually like this line up! It is solid. Dexter Fowler is a solid lead off hitter, Grossman has had a fantastic spring, Altuve is coming off a somewhat down year but we all know what he is capable of, Castro was the break out star last year, Guzman is not going to blow your socks off with his numbers but is a very good MLB player, Carter is in a spot where he can drive in runs but his K's won't hurt too much, Dominguez is a 20+ HR threat, L.J. Hoes is serviceable, and Villar is chalked full of potential. No, this is not a great line up like the Rangers, but it can and will score runs and is a big improvement over last years. On top of that, we will see Springer, Singleton, and maybe Fontana at some points this year.

eagle eye
03-31-2014, 11:49 AM
I'm not surprised about this lineup. I think that Bo Porter's leaning toward giving respect to a veteran player like Guzman over either Mark Krauss or Carlos Corporan even though both had a better spring than Guzman. Corporan hit .294 in 34 AB's, Krauss hit .293 in 41 AB's and Guzman hit .189 in 21 AB's. I like Carter at 1B more than Guzman too. So, I guess at this point I disagree with Big T about Guzman being "a very good MLB player". To me a good player will at least semi knock your socks off with his numbers. This is a nod to a veteran and a free agent signing. Besides, Krauss played his first season in the bigs last year and he hit only .209. I'm sure Bo Porter remembers this. Corporan is a career .229 hitter and even though he's older he and Guzman both made their MLB debuts in 2009. Guzman is a .259 hitter career so dispite their superior springs Guzman is the more logical choice to start. I'd still go with Corporan but as long as whoever is in the lineup produces I don't care.

As for KABrother88's issue with starting on Tuesday I have one word----Yankees. The biggest marquee name in baseball needs a showcase. Since it wasn't on Sunday they'll push it back a day and give the Bronx Bombers the main spotlight.

Also, don't forget the Dodgers and D-Backs began the season about 10 days ago with a two game set in Sydney Australia. As of last night's loss to San Diego LA is 2-1 and Arizona is 0-2.

KABrother88
03-31-2014, 12:08 PM
I'm not surprised about this lineup. I think that Bo Porter's leaning toward giving respect to a veteran player like Guzman over either Mark Krauss or Carlos Corporan even though both had a better spring than Guzman. Corporan hit .294 in 34 AB's, Krauss hit .293 in 41 AB's and Guzman hit .189 in 21 AB's. I like Carter at 1B more than Guzman too. So, I guess at this point I disagree with Big T about Guzman being "a very good MLB player". To me a good player will at least semi knock your socks off with his numbers. This is a nod to a veteran and a free agent signing. Besides, Krauss played his first season in the bigs last year and he hit only .209. I'm sure Bo Porter remembers this. Corporan is a career .229 hitter and even though he's older he and Guzman both made their MLB debuts in 2009. Guzman is a .259 hitter career so dispite their superior springs Guzman is the more logical choice to start. I'd still go with Corporan but as long as whoever is in the lineup produces I don't care.

As for KABrother88's issue with starting on Tuesday I have one word----Yankees. The biggest marquee name in baseball needs a showcase. Since it wasn't on Sunday they'll push it back a day and give the Bronx Bombers the main spotlight.

Also, don't forget the Dodgers and D-Backs began the season about 10 days ago with a two game set in Sydney Australia. As of last night's loss to San Diego LA is 2-1 and Arizona is 0-2.

Yes I know it started back then...complained earlier on this thread that it was stupid and it was stupid when Seattle and Oakland started the 2012 season in Japan...but at least Seattle still had Ichiro so it was more of a story...and it wasn't a week and a half before everyone else started.

Yes I understand the Yankee factor but it's not like they are playing on ESPN for a national audience

To me I think the lineup looks about right...I know EE was hoping that Corporan would be in at DH...to me it scares the day lights outta me to put your back-up catcher there if you are only carrying 2...Bo Porter has shown that hell risk it and he did it several times to keep Castro's bat in the lineup but we got burned once last year and had to play Jake Elmore behind the plate

eagle eye
03-31-2014, 12:57 PM
KA, I agree with you completely but I am a firm believer that you can't play scared or not to get hurt. Houston is in good shape at catcher with Max Stassi in AAA. Corporan at DH isn't the risk of injury you might think because he isn't going to be stealing bases. Corporan will catch at least once a every 4 or 5 days so getting to bat, even if it's a couple of times a week ain't exactly putting a strain on him. The best thing is if Guzman starts to hit but I'm about scoring runs. In the 5 hole and at DH I think you need better than a career .259 hitter. Corporan has yet to show the kind of production at the plate in the regular season but it's hard when you play and bat once a week. Honestly, I think Guzman, Carter and Marc Krauss will all get a lot of PT and you may be right about the issue with a catcher as a DH but I have may doubts. You can't forget Marwin Gonzalez who .443 in the spring. Gonzo may be the forgotten man but his versatility may give him a lot of PT too. BTW, isn't it nice to talk about players who can actually make a positive impact for change?

KABrother88
03-31-2014, 02:32 PM
It's very nice to talk about it...base running isn't the only way to get yourself injured though...the game I eluded to where Elmore had to come in and catch was a situation where Corporan took a foul ball off the facemask with Jason Castro DHing...lots of things can happen behind the plate...luckily, when Stassi was hit in the face last season he was DHing with Castro behind the plate and Corporan on the DL...I completely understand getting your best lineup out there though...I just don't want us having to put our pitcher batting in the middle of the order for a game cause our catcher got hurt and we had to burn our DH...I'm not the one they pay to fill out the lineup so that's just gonna be my 2 cents lol...and Happy Opening Day EE and Big T...with that I guess we can wrap up this thread...look forward to another season of discussing Astros Baseball with y'all