New Coach

Cardinalrule

He definitely has a solid winning percentage. Curious who was he an assistant to at Lamar?

Just a guess. Looking at the list, it might be Coach Foster. Foster came to us from Arkansas and left us to go to Houston.

Confirmed: He was on Pat Foster's staff.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I think Green should be on the shortlist. He has a great track record at the juco level and I'm sure a strong recruiting network. LU would be an upgrade in pay and he has ties to the glory days at Lamar. If Pat Foster is an important member of the search committee I think Green will be a finalist.

I think Green should be on the shortlist. He has a great track record at the juco level and I'm sure a strong recruiting network. LU would be an upgrade in pay and he has ties to the glory days at Lamar. If Pat Foster is an important member of the search committee I think Green will be a finalist.

Based on his record and his accolades it is a no brainer. Unless we can get the NCAA coach of the year.

I mean, look at this:

Coaching Highlights

• NJCAA National Champions (2007-08, 2011-12)

• NJCAA Coach of the (2007-08, 2011-12)

• WJCAC Coach of the Year (1988-89, 1989-90, 2006-07, 2011-12)

• Coach of six WJCAC Championship teams

Howard (1989-90, 1990-91), SPC (2001-02, 2002-03, 2006-07, 2011-12)

• Coach of six Region 5 Championship Teams

Howard (1990-91), Midland (1993-94), SPC (2001-02, 2002-03, 2007-08, 2011-12)

That is freaking impressive!!

What ever happened to the young coach at LSCPA from a couple years ago? Not necessarily in connection with the LU job, but just wondering how that played out?

Why do some JUCO coaches not get a chance at the next level? Why have coaches like Green and Skelton with such good records stayed JUCO? What's missing?

Two reasons I can think of. One the coach is comfortable where they are, they have the inner drive to win and know what it takes at their level but don't want the added pressure of a D1 program. Second, I think there may be some misconceptions fro the employers at the higher levels that unless you are already coaching at the level you will take to long to figure out what it takes, so the Athletic Departments look for existing coaches or assistants from good programs before taking a chance on someone from a lower level. How many D1 coaches in any sport can you name that moved up from a lower level HC to the next level as a HC?

What ever happened to the young coach at LSCPA from a couple years ago? Not necessarily in connection with the LU job, but just wondering how that played out?

Why do some JUCO coaches not get a chance at the next level? Why have coaches like Green and Skelton with such good records stayed JUCO? What's missing?

idk I'm wondering the same thing.

Here is a list of some successful JUCO/D2 coaches jumping to D1:

Bob Marlin--Pensacola JC/Sam Houston

Brad Underwood--Daytona State/ SFA

Danny Kasper--Incarnate Word (D2 at the time)/SFA

Mike McConnathy--Bossier Parish CC/NW State

This is just a few from my source that have made the transition well.

While I wouldn't rule out an assistant from a good program, I would be more inclined to a proven winner from a lower level. I don't know the history of all of the former LU coaches, but I think most were assistants from somewhere and the outcomes have not been very favorable. Maybe some of these assistants should have gone to a JUCO or D2 school to start their HC years.

Here is a list of some successful JUCO/D2 coaches jumping to D1:

Bob Marlin--Pensacola JC/Sam Houston

Brad Underwood--Daytona State/ SFA

Danny Kasper--Incarnate Word (D2 at the time)/SFA

Mike McConnathy--Bossier Parish CC/NW State

This is just a few from my source that have made the transition well.

Thanks for the list. I knew there were more than Arrow. Arrow popped out for me because San Jac basketball was one of the programs I followed at the time. (Never had any affiliation with San Jac...just followed them during Arrow's time.)

While I wouldn't rule out an assistant from a good program, I would be more inclined to a proven winner from a lower level. I don't know the history of all of the former LU coaches, but I think most were assistants from somewhere and the outcomes have not been very favorable. Maybe some of these assistants should have gone to a JUCO or D2 school to start their HC years.

Former LU coaches:

Abatemarco: 1986-1988, 34 - 26, 0.567 (NC State assistant)

Billy Tubbs: 2003-2006, 46-43, 0.517 (we know his history)

Roccaforte: 2006-2011, 76-78, 0.494 (Memphis, LU assistant)

Mike Newell: 1990-1993, 42-44, 0.488 (UALR HC)

Grey Giovanine: 1993-1999, 80-85, 0.485 (Wichita State assistant)

Mike Deane: 1999-2003, 53-63, 0.457 (Marquette HC)

Tony Branch: 1988-1990, 19-37, 0.339 (no coaching experience??)

Pat Knight: 2012-2014: 29-62, 0.319 (Texas Tech HC)

Pat Foster was an assistant at Arkansas before coming to Lamar.

Looks to me that hiring ex-D1 head coaches does not work *(cough*Tic Price*cough). Maybe Lamar should go for a JUCO/D2 coach, they haven't done that in the past and what they've been doing isn't working!