PDA

View Full Version : DI Hockey in Beaumont

jdcurran235
03-23-2011, 06:06 PM
I know that the WAC has DI hockey and in fact it is a hot topic on thier board. The Texas Wildcatters would draw anywhere from 3K to 5K per game and ford arena is still there. I think that LU generally draws better than any minor league team in the area. I believe it is very possible for LU to play hockey one day (if they would want to). I know many people were sad to see the Wildcatters go (I know I was). This could be in some sort of 10 year plan for LU if we joined the WAC just cause we are in the WAC. I am not saying it is in plan so don't get confused by what I am saying. I am just saying it is a possibility for LU. Thoughts?

bigred360
03-23-2011, 06:10 PM
No debate just an honest question. Where are you going to recruit from? I know there are some club teams in the DFW metroplex but where else. I guess from Northern states?

CardAmbassador
03-23-2011, 06:12 PM
bigred360 wrote:

No debate just an honest question. Where are you going to recruit from? I know there are some club teams in the DFW metroplex but where else. I guess from Northern states?

We have a few canadian athletes already. I have a friend from Canada that runs CC here.

BTW, in my personal opinion I would rather see men's soccer than anything else here. Men's Soccer would be huge in Beaumont trust me!

jdcurran235
03-23-2011, 06:14 PM
Our minor league team was able to bring in players from Canada. I dont see why LU could not do the same. There are plenty of DI caliber players that dont get to play hockey because not that many schools offer DI hockey. There are alot of club hockey programs though. I just think it was something that was supported well here and it would do especially well if it was LU playing. IMHO

jdcurran235
03-23-2011, 06:16 PM
We had soccer at LU before and it did not do that well. It might do better now, but 10yrs ago it did not.

CardAmbassador
03-23-2011, 07:16 PM
jdcurran235 wrote:

We had soccer at LU before and it did not do that well. It might do better now, but 10yrs ago it did not.

LU had men's soccer? Are you sure I have never heard anything about it.

BigRed2010
03-23-2011, 07:18 PM
I think Lamar has had club soccer, but I don't think they have ever played NCAA soccer.

bigred360
03-23-2011, 07:20 PM
I believe there was a club men's soccer program here and they played other university club teams. They did not compete in the NCAA DI level.

CardAmbassador
03-23-2011, 07:27 PM
bigred360 wrote:

I believe there was a club men's soccer program here and they played other university club teams. They did not compete in the NCAA DI level.

I'm willing to bet that if LU played Men's Soccer it could easily become our third largest sport by attendance. Tons of soccer fans in this area and I think the community support would be huge for it. Women's soccer doesn't do bad on attendance so you can imagine how a men's program would do.

CardAmbassador
03-23-2011, 07:30 PM
Sorry for getting off topic though. I do believe that DI hockey could be very successful here because of how well the Wildcatters did for several years. People are more loyal to university sports teams vs. semi pro because there is always that impression that semi pro is going to be gone in a few years anyways so why waste your time following it.

This is all probably a moot point though, with title IX the way it is I doubt LU will be adding men's sports anytime soon.

jdcurran235
03-23-2011, 07:36 PM
There are still a couple of womens sports that I would like to see added that LU does not have that many other univeristies do. Not that I would actually go watch any of them. I just think it makes us a more complete university. Womens gymnatics and swiming/diving. Then we could add Hockey or Soccer. I personally think Hockey would do better, but that does not mean that soccer would do bad either. I think either would be good in the long run for our school. And with either sport you would end up attracting more students to the school which is always a good thing. And obviously this would have to be on a ten year plan where we raise money and plan for it.

jdcurran235
03-23-2011, 07:40 PM
Soccer might do better in a sense that it would attract more students to the school just because so many HS have soccer in the area. But I think Hockey does better with the attendance. Especially since we can watch it indoors and we know how beaumont and weather is. But again, this is just guesswork.

CardAmbassador
03-23-2011, 07:46 PM
jdcurran235 wrote:

There are still a couple of womens sports that I would like to see added that LU does not have that many other univeristies do. Not that I would actually go watch any of them. I just think it makes us a more complete university. Womens gymnatics and swiming/diving. Then we could add Hockey or Soccer. I personally think Hockey would do better, but that does not mean that soccer would do bad either. I think either would be good in the long run for our school. And with either sport you would end up attracting more students to the school which is always a good thing. And obviously this would have to be on a ten year plan where we raise money and plan for it.

As far as women's sports are concerned we just added women's soccer a few years ago and softball is definitely coming along in the next few years.

BTW, if we do stay in the SLC over the next few years LU will be the only school to sponsor every SLC sport after the addition of softball.

I'm for adding as many sports as we can afford without taking away from Football and Basketball. I think many of these fringe sports like CC, Tennis, Golf etc. bring in some of LU's most diverse and best students. Anyone remember the award LU's women's CC team won recently for having a team GPA of 4.0? Those are some smart girls and I know a few of them.

jdcurran235
03-23-2011, 07:52 PM
This is why I believe that if we where going to do anything like adding soccer or hockey it would have to be part of a 10yr plan. But I do believe it is possible for LU to consider something like this in the future. Not immediate future but down the line. I even think LU can make money on Hockey. It could end up being a revenue source. More than likely none of this would ever happen, but you never know. LU has football back and maybe a WAC invite. Just sayin.

Lamar Pride
03-23-2011, 08:01 PM
Lamar men still play club soccer. Gender equity legislation will permanently preclude LU from playing Men's soccer on the NCAA level. There is only one Div. 1 men's soccer program in the state of Texas (SMU) Title 9 eliminated men's soccer from most programs.

jdcurran235
03-23-2011, 08:05 PM
I have to say that I am not a big fan of Title 9. This is something that should be reworked and is not good for sports in general the way the rule is right now.

CardAmbassador
03-23-2011, 08:15 PM
jdcurran235 wrote:

I have to say that I am not a big fan of Title 9. This is something that should be reworked and is not good for sports in general the way the rule is right now.

I agree, I believe that there should be some consideration for the demand and also desire for women to play sports in college vs the amount of men who would like to do the same. Plus the amount of money that a school can make off of such sports.

It's a shame that LU can't add things like men's soccer when it would be a guaranteed top 3 sport in my mind.

Oh well it is what it is.

LU4LIFE
03-23-2011, 08:43 PM
I know that most likely this will not happen but if Lamar added hockey that would be awesome I really liked going out to Ford Park to watch the Wildcatters plays and if it was Lamar playing that would just make it that much better.

CardinalClaw
03-23-2011, 09:20 PM
I am all for hockey at LAMAR, it is a fun sport to watch an I think it would do really well also.

PNG1992
03-23-2011, 09:50 PM
It would be interesting. I'm ignorant on the subject but I'd imagine the cost to run a hockey team in the WAC would be very expensive for Lamar. I wouldn't think any of the Eastern teams would have a team so the travel budget would likely be really high.

jdcurran235
03-23-2011, 11:20 PM
UTSA already plays club hockey. And the WAC is historically a hockey league. So you never know.

TexasTerror
03-26-2011, 03:22 PM
I know that the WAC has DI hockey and in fact it is a hot topic on thier board.

The WAC does not have Div I hockey. Denver is a league member and has hockey. They participate in the WCHA, I believe.

Lamar men still play club soccer. Gender equity legislation will permanently preclude LU from playing Men's soccer on the NCAA level. There is only one Div. 1 men's soccer program in the state of Texas (SMU) Title 9 eliminated men's soccer from most programs.

Houston Baptist.

UTSA already plays club hockey. And the WAC is historically a hockey league. So you never know.

Hard to "historically" be a hockey league when you do not sponsor it!

Unbelievable... :laugh:

http://www.d1hockey.com/

jdcurran235
03-26-2011, 03:37 PM
You are correct texas terror, but many teams in the WAC do play hockey and it is something the WAC has talked about pushing (according to the wac board which is where I got my initial information). And many teams in the WAC historically play hockey at the club level right now with a few in D1. And UTSA does actually play club hockey. This was all hypothetical anyway, so just chill.

TexasTerror
03-26-2011, 03:49 PM
You are correct texas terror, but many teams in the WAC do play hockey and it is something the WAC has talked about pushing. And many teams in the WAC historically play hockey. This was all hypothetical, so just chill.

Many teams? LOL! Of the schools that have participated in the WAC over the last 10 years or in the next two years - only one - DENVER competes in hockey. Air Force folded in 1999 - guess they were a WAC member back around then when the WAC schools went to the MWC.

Check out the WHCA... and CCHA - the other leagues are 'east coast' variety.

http://www.wcha.com/men/index.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Collegiate_Hockey_Association

Not even hypothetical when no one has it..

jdcurran235
03-26-2011, 03:57 PM
They do historically play it at the club level. UTSA even has a club team. Hockey as a whole is not as played as other sports, so if you have a club team that is saying something. Again this was all hypothetical. It was just something fun to discuss.

CardinalClaw
03-26-2011, 04:52 PM
I guess it is hard for some people to grasp that others can have fun talking about a hypothetical topic.

jdcurran235
03-26-2011, 05:03 PM
I guess so

coachacola
03-26-2011, 05:31 PM
I guess it is hard for some people to grasp that others can have fun talking about a hypothetical topic.

You don't know Texas Terror too well, do you?

jdcurran235
03-26-2011, 05:40 PM
apparently not. FYI the UNT fans are just as bad. http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=451&f=2368&t=7359022&p=2

CardinalClaw
03-26-2011, 05:54 PM

You don't know Texas Terror too well, do you?

Not really but I have seen some of his post so this isn't really a shocker.

TexasTerror
03-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Did not realize we were discussing club hockey here...

Would of been nice if jdcurran was specific from the start instead of parlaying incorrect information (i.e. schools in the WAC have historically played the sport) into justification.

Since we're talking hypothetical... I heard there's a big push for NCAA cricket coming from the WAC. A few of the diverse populations at the WAC institutions with their high academic prowess (or lack their of) want to reach out to unique publics, especially in light of the Cricket World Cup!

CardAmbassador
03-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Did not realize we were discussing club hockey here...

Would of been nice if jdcurran was specific from the start instead of parlaying incorrect information (i.e. schools in the WAC have historically played the sport) into justification.

Since we're talking hypothetical... I heard there's a big push for NCAA cricket coming from the WAC. A few of the diverse populations at the WAC institutions with their high academic prowess (or lack their of) want to reach out to unique publics, especially in light of the Cricket World Cup!

Hmm, Lamar has students that already play crickett out on the Ty Terrell. They could be recruited!

TexGator
04-20-2011, 05:25 PM
In suburban Houston, there are dozens of HS teams for:

Swimming/Diving
Water Polo
Wrestling
Hockey
(among others)

Here's a profile of these kids:
- Generally make good grades
- Would love to play in college (possibly even w/o getting a scholarship)
- Many have a family history in Bmt (family from there, parents who attended, etc)
- Probably gave up hope to play anywhere near home so their folks would be able to see them play

CardAmbassador
04-20-2011, 05:30 PM
In suburban Houston, there are dozens of HS teams for:

Swimming/Diving
Water Polo
Wrestling
Hockey
(among others)

Here's a profile of these kids:
- Generally make good grades
- Would love to play in college (possibly even w/o getting a scholarship)
- Many have a family history in Bmt (family from there, parents who attended, etc)
- Probably gave up hope to play anywhere near home so their folks would be able to see them play

Interesting that you brought up swimming and diving. If LU joined a FBS conference many think we would likely add women's swimming. I actually know quite a few people who used to swim in HS that go to LU.

weslinder
04-20-2011, 06:59 PM
I don't mean to burst any bubbles, but there aren't many Canadians that play US college hockey. Canada has midget professional leagues where any 18 and 19 year-olds with talent play. Lamar would have to recruit the northern states against traditional hockey schools. I think college hockey is great, but it's a northern sport.

jdcurran235
04-20-2011, 08:58 PM
There are not that many hockey schools and my hockey players looking for somewhere to play. Also there are hockey leagues in dallas and houston now. We probably could get some players from texas. You might be surprised what we could get.