PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Draft Thread

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 04:36 PM
I had to do it. I just know there are some BRI-ers out there who may want to weigh in on the next three days' proceedings. Doesn't need to be about Dallas or Houston. Thirty two teams can attract a lot of fans. The talk is just about over and the fit is going to hit the shan at 7 o'clock.

My feeling about what Houston will do is they will stay put and take Clowney.

boomer
05-08-2014, 05:37 PM
I will be embedded in the bunker with our crack crew for the entire draft and will be reporting rumors , hopes and teams that have snached defeat from the jaws of victory. sooo here we go.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 05:59 PM
On the NFL Channel Marshall Faulk is sporting a bow tie. Bad choice, he looks like Pee Wee Herman.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 06:05 PM
IT HAS BEGUN!

boomer
05-08-2014, 06:13 PM
keep up with me on twitter @klipshotbboomer is Htown going to trade?

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 06:15 PM
The pick is in----Houston selects -- holy crap the rams have been on the clock for 2 minutes -- jadeveon clowney!

boomer
05-08-2014, 06:24 PM
Rams have the 2nd and the 13th will be interesting to see what happens here. looking for Sammy Watkins an o lineman or a trade down . guys here are saying G Robinson. J football to Minny in my mind.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 06:26 PM
the rams pick is in. Now, in about 4 minutes roger goodell will announce it. i'm joking but why does it take so long to announce the pick? ridiculous. For the first time in his career Jeff fisher selects an o-lineman in the first round. greg robinson OT from auburn.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 06:29 PM
most mocks have had ot jake Mathews or wr Sammy Watkins. Justin Blackmon has disappointed the jags to this point--my vote is on Watkins.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 06:31 PM
Holy Crap! the jaguars select Blake Bortles!

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 06:33 PM
this pick changes a lot. will Cleveland choose manziel? or go with Watkins? or take jake Mathews. this is great so far. the jags pick is totally off the wall. awesome.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 06:34 PM
Cleveland trades the fourth pick to buffalo. Cleveland will get the 9th pick +

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 06:37 PM
the browns get buffalo's 1 rd pick and 4 rd pick in 2015. buffalo selects wr Sammy Watkins.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 06:43 PM
The raiders take Kahlil mack. shit

boomer
05-08-2014, 06:48 PM
i like Jake Mathews next but with this draft who knows. Buff gave up to much for what they got.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 06:50 PM
you think so? that's probably according to the point system nfl teams have for trades. I like Atlanta to take jake Mathews.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 06:51 PM
Bingo! I am thinking tampa takes ha-ha Clinton-dix.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 06:53 PM
OMG a thought just occurred to me. tampa may be looking to replace mike glennon. manziel maybe?

boomer
05-08-2014, 06:55 PM
Cowboys are looking to have alot more options at this point. sure Jerray will screw it up.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 06:58 PM
Cowboys are looking to have alot more options at this point. sure Jerray will screw it up.

more and more i'm hoping the cowboys take cj mosley. I want Anthony barr but he won't be there. dallas needs to upgrade their linebackers.

boomer
05-08-2014, 06:58 PM
Mike Evans fills the need here Glennon is servicable.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 07:00 PM
boomer hits the nail on the head! will Minnesota take a qb or a lineman. I think this could be manziel or taylor lewan.

boomer
05-08-2014, 07:03 PM
Manziel to the Browns is what it feels like.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 07:05 PM
Minnesota trades picks with -- wait for it -- Cleveland! Cleveland may be taking manziel now. we'll know in just a sec because the pick is in. the vikes just swap picks and Cleveland gives up their 5th round pick. OMG they took DB Justin gilbert from okla st.

boomer
05-08-2014, 07:08 PM
Minny says thanks for the extra pick and we didnt want him anyway. what a terrible pick that is the second best CB and Dennard plays in the snow almost all season. wasted pick way to go browns.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 07:08 PM
Gilbert is a texas kid from Huntsville. gilbert and joe haden -- pretty badass secondary now.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 07:10 PM
first disagreement from the fantasy nation staff! on most board gilbert was the top prospect. central texas kid knows a little about weather.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 07:12 PM
Vikings pick Anthony friggin barr. dammit. they say Detroit's pick is already in should be coming up.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 07:14 PM
barry sanders announces the pick for Detroit which is ---- eric ebron tight end from north Carolina.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 07:16 PM
I have no idea who Tennessee will choose. if pushed for a pick i'd say aaron Donald DE from pitt.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 07:18 PM
i'm watching the cowboys war room cam and they aren't doing much--nobody on the phone--doesn't look like a trade is being done--right now.

boomer
05-08-2014, 07:22 PM
here is the new Jimmy Graham.

boomer
05-08-2014, 07:23 PM
safe pick to build the line leaves more options shaking out for the cowboys.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 07:24 PM
the titans selected ot taylor lewan from Michigan. the (throwing up in my throat) giants are on the clock.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 07:25 PM
here is the new Jimmy Graham.

I agree and i'm glad as hell the giants didn't get him.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 07:29 PM
giants pick is in. mike mayock is thinking either zack martin or odell beckham--- they took beckham. can you say next desean Jackson?

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 07:38 PM
will this be the best chance manziel goes for a while? I think a safety like Clinton-dix or calvin pryor may go here.

somebody is doing some serious talking in the cowboys war room. virtually everyone is paying attention.

the rams take aaron Donald. top pick choice 2 gone for dallas. OMG will they really take manziel???????

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 07:40 PM
Always fresher than a peppermint!!!
View Profile
Personal Message (Online)

Re: Billion Dollar Bracket Challenge!

« Reply #11 on: Today at 08:31:49 PM »

this is from boomer.

very strong pick for the Gmen would have rather seen Odel go out of conference.

Report to moderator Logged

Hit me up on twitter @klipshotbboomer

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 07:44 PM
The Rams are going to be really good on defense. equal to the 49ers or seattle.

Chicago is a mystery but the pick is in and the bears choose --- kyle fuller cb from Virginia tech.

boomer
05-08-2014, 07:45 PM
i stand alone in the bunker as the sole supporter for the boys picking Louis Nix at this point. big lineman to eat up blocks.

boomer
05-08-2014, 07:46 PM
Fuller can play the slot so this makes sense.

boomer
05-08-2014, 07:47 PM
Manzel goes to Dallas and i will spend the rest of the night puking.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 07:47 PM
this is the pick I've been waiting for. dallas is on the clock and they have a world of options. I pray to god jerry goes defense. I prefer lb cj mosley or de kony ealy. dallas is taking this pick--nobody on the phone in the cowboys war room and the steelers pick is in.
the steelers choose lb ryan shazier from ohio state.

please mosley or ealy. please not manziel. this is unbearable!!!!!

boomer
05-08-2014, 07:48 PM
Gamebreaker for the Steelers.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 07:49 PM
I think ha-ha Clinton-dix is the one.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 07:51 PM
Stephen jones is on the phone. OMG this is too intense.

boomer
05-08-2014, 07:53 PM
Dennard would be a solid pick at CB. Dee Ford would be solid here also. Manzel does not make sense.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 07:54 PM
the pick is in---mike mayock and Michael Irvin want manziel. shit!

here comes roger goodell. it's guard Zach martin from notre dame! not bad. they'll lose both ealy and mosley though. i'm not sure if i'm happy or not except the didn't take manziel.

boomer
05-08-2014, 07:57 PM
Jackson Jeffcoat tomorrow and i am ok with this pick this kid can play all 5 spots. I can live with it. Not bad for a Jerry pick to be honest.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 08:00 PM
in a perfect world dallas gets lb telvin smith from florida and jeffcoat of Demarcus Lawrence from boise in the third.

the ravens pick cj mosley. anybody but the stupid ravens. shit.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 08:05 PM
the cowboys have covered up their war room cam. are they done for the night or working a deal to trade up? having a minute to think about it I don't like the pick. dallas needs defense. not just guys but playmakers. this makes 3 first round linemen in the past 4 years. to me, this is a wasted pick in a way because they will lose a major player on defense. I galls the hell out of me that the stupid ravens got mosley. crap, crap, crap.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 08:07 PM
a dime will get you a dollar the jets go offense--maybe marqise lee wr from usc.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 08:10 PM
wrong! the jets just improved their defense by selecting S calvin pryor from Louisville.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 08:19 PM
the Miami dolphins pick ja'wuan james OT from Tennessee.

the Arizona cardinals are on the clock.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 08:21 PM
Arizona trades their pick with new Orleans. who dat them saints want?

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 08:31 PM
The saints took wr Brandon cooks from Oregon St. he ran a 4.32 at the combine. they lose lance moore and fill the spot with this guy. he may be better than marques colston.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 08:35 PM
the packers took safety ha-ha Clinton-dix.

the sorry dog eagles are on the clock.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 08:53 PM
Shades of the movie Draft Day (which I saw and liked, BTW) Cleveland traded up to 22 with the Eagles and they took Johnny Football! Cleveland was projected to take him but just a lot sooner. The eagles now have the 26th pick. Maybe Cleveland out smarted themselves because none of the teams were in the market for a qb. To bad for Brian Hoyer and maybe Cleveland traded up and took Mr Football. Cleveland was projected to take him only a lot earlier.

Kansas City picked up Dee Ford. Good pick for them.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 08:59 PM
The bengals selected CB darqueze Dennard from Michigan St.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 09:05 PM
san diego chooses CB Jason Verrett from TCU.

Just a note here--the players I'm hoping falls to dallas are not being picked. philly on the clock again. I hate philly. I hope they choose a water boy--not THAT water boy--a real water boy.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 09:15 PM
Philly takes LB marcus smith from Louisville. good, philly fans are confused and a little pissed. that's awesome!

Arizona is on the clock again. The cards need o-line help I could see them drafting guard Xavier su'a-filo from ucla.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 09:20 PM
Deone Buchanan, a safety from Washington St is the Cardinals pick. Nice pick could be the best safety in the draft. The NFC West is just getting stronger and stronger.

the Carolina panthers wasted no time making their pick and they took Fla St WR Kelvin Benjamin. the panthers needed a receiver with steve smith gone to Baltimore.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 09:24 PM
I'm hearing rumblings that Cleveland is trying to make a deal to get back into the 1st round. unbelievable.

The Patriots are on the clock.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 09:28 PM
This is the first guy I was hoping Dallas would get since the Ravens took Mosley. The Pats selected DT Dominique Easley from Florida.

The Niners are on the clock.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 09:34 PM
The Niners pick ---- Safety Jimmy Ward from Northern Illinois. surprise pick here. NFL.com figured they go cornerback.

This has been any but boring first round. The Broncos are on the clock.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 09:40 PM
Denver took - Bradley Robie CB from THE Ohio State. Nice pick up for Denver.

Seattle is on the clock for the final pick of the 1st round.

eagle eye
05-08-2014, 10:10 PM
A crazy night just got crazier as the night concludes with another trade. Seattle gives Minnesota their pick for the Vikings 2nd round pick and 4th round pick. Really all the Vikings had to give up was the 4th rounder since the Vikings are getting the Seattle pick.

the Vikings pick --- QB Teddy Bridgewater from Louisville. This makes three first round picks from Louisville which is the most ever. It was actually the most ever when Philly took Marcus Smith with the 26th pick. Defensive back dominated the first round with 9 DBs selected. The top three QBs on the pre-draft board were all taken with Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel and Teddy Bridgewater. No guards were selected although Dallas will likely play Zack Martin at guard in 2014. Martin is likely the right tackle of the future after this year with Doug Free in the last year of his contract. This means Mackenzy Bernadeau will be fighting with Ron Leary for that left guard position. Dallas has all five of the 2013 o-linemen under contract in 2014 so it's likely Zack Martin will play guard but he will be the swing tackle in case someone is injured. Bernadeau will likely be the swing guard and he can also play center if Travis Frederick is injured. (Don't you know I'm knocking on wood like crazy writing that last part?) Dallas should be set for literally years at o-line. Now, they need to concentrate on defense. Houston is likely going to concentrate on the defensive side of the ball too. They got a big boost with the addition of clowney to their roster. If Brian Cushing comes back healthy as well as Jonathan Joseph and few others if Houston doesn't draft anyone else will definitely be better. That said, I am predicting that Houston takes DE Stephon Tuitt from Notre Dame to start the second round. It will give the Texans a beast of a d-end opposite JJ Watt and guy to protect Jadeveon Clowney. Tuitt is huge for a defensive end at 6'5" and 304 he has the size and the athleticism to be a crackerjack 3-4 defensive end. If the don't take Tuitt they could take another Notre Dame alum, Louis Nix III. The guy is huge and he's good. At 6'2" and 331 lbs Nix will be the elite level nose tackle a 3-4 defense needs. IMO I'd take Tuitt because it's quite possible Houston will be able to get Penn State DT Daquan Jones. Jones is 6'4" and 322 lbs which would give the best value to the Texans. If Bill O'Brien can entice Whitney Mercilus to play a little better, no a lot better, Houston will upgrade their defense considerably.

The first round flew by which is something I didn't expect. I'm tired but not at all disappointed--well, maybe a little. Time for bed, get up and go to work and start over tomorrow evening.

KABrother88
05-09-2014, 06:53 AM
Went to bed scratching my head at SF picking S Jimmie Ward at #30...wasn't a pressing need with 2013 1st rounder Eric Reid making the Pro Bowl as a rookie and signing Antonie Bethea to a 4 year deal this offseason. But I'm seeing more and more reports he will be playing CB in the slot and give us the option of running a 3 safety look that is gaining popularity around the league. I really wanted Marquis Lee and the last couple seasons I've screamed at the TV as we passed particular players I wanted...and haven't gotten any of them. I have a good feeling about today though...we have 5 picks in the 2 rounds today (56, 61, 77, 94 & 100). In my prefect world we use that ammo to land Lee or if he goes before we can move we can make a minor trade up for Allen Robinson from Penn State who I like...then get a big bodied CB like Nebraska's Stanley Jean-Baptiste. A few other names I'm keeping an eye on as 3rd round possibilities are G Gabe Jackson from Miss St., C Travis Swanson from Arkansas., WR Martavious Bryant from Clemson and WR Kevin Norwood from Alabama

eagle eye
05-09-2014, 05:29 PM
The draft has begun. I got fooled by the advertised time at 7:00 but I didn't notice the EDT part. So thank God it starts early.
Chester Pitts, a former NFL lineman for Houston, announced the first pick of the second round. Houston takes G Xavier Su'a-Filo from UCLA.

While I'm writing this the Cowboys have made a trade with the Redskins to take the next pick. Washington gets Dallas' 2nd and 3rd round picks. Dallas selection is being introduced by former Cowboy Dat Nguyen. Dallas selects Demarcus Lawrence. Unless Dallas makes another deal to get back into the third round Dallas is done for tonight. The Cowboys got one of the most explosive edge rushers in the draft. He will have a fellow Boise State guy in Tyrone Crawford to help him get acclimated. He's been in a little trouble during his career in Boise but Dallas has one of the best player support programs in the NFL. It looks like Dallas was worried that Lawrence would be got by the time they picked which initiated this trade with the Redskins.

Cleveland is making the next pick and it's being introduced by former Brown and UT player Eric Metcalf. The biggest news that broke just before the draft started tonight and that Josh Gordon is liable to be suspended for the 2014 season because he failed a drug test--again. Cleveland selected OL Joel Bitonio from Nevada. Cleveland gets a player to help Joe Thomas protect Johnny Manziel.

Once things started happening it happened fast. In the 2nd round teams have only 7 minutes to make a pick or a trade. I don't play to go pick by pick like last night but I'll be posting significant moves although Houston doesn't have a pick until round 3 and as I said before Dallas is done for tonight.

BTW the Raiders select QB Derek Carr from Fresno St. He'll get to sit and learn under Matt Schaub or he could beat Schaub out and start day 1. Nice pick up by the Raiders.

baller
05-10-2014, 11:53 AM
Thanks EAGLE EYE for your reports and perspective on the draft.I like what the Texans are doing so far in the draft but they still have needs on offense. The movie Draft Day was good and the women in my life who like football liked it.The $100 lesson on character is worth showing to young athletes .Houston just took Pittsburgh quarterback Tom Savage with the 135th Pick .

KABrother88
05-10-2014, 01:49 PM
Well I couldn't have been more wrong on SF's day 2...just don't understand the reason for stockpiling late picks when we don't have that many holes

Big T
05-10-2014, 06:56 PM
I just have to say, one of my favorite moments in sports just happened during this draft. Michael Sam being drafted. I know there will be some on this board that will strongly disagree and think that any human belonging to the LGBTQ community is scum of the earth. To each their own, but for me this was an amazing, historic, and beautiful moment that I will never forget. Plus, I think the Rams my have gotten a hell of a player!

baller
05-11-2014, 07:18 AM
Big T I wish Michael Sam and all young men who were drafted success and the wisdom to deal with their journey .

eagle eye
05-12-2014, 06:37 PM
Hello guys. I did my best to keep up with rounds 2-7 but I had a medical emergency that landed me in the hospital since Saturday morning. Friday night I was too out of it after the Cowboys pick. I'm glad they traded up or I may not have made it. I am back home now a little worse for wear but no less amazed at this whole draft. First it was Cleveland recreating the movie Draft Day in the first round then it was KABrother's Forty-Niners who took up the torch the rest of the way.

It saw the NFC East get a lot scarier with the Giants taking Odell Beckham and the Eagle going back to back WR's in the 2nd and 3rd rounds with Vandy's Jordan Matthews and Oregon's Josh Huff. I was hoping Josh Huff would be there in the 4th for Dallas. Dallas did get Pitt's all time leading receiver but he isn't scaring anyone with his speed. The best I saw was a 4.55 and there are linebackers who can run faster than that. The fact is Dallas is lacking a burner to stretch defenses. I saw an interview on DC.com and the guy has already been studying tape and researching his coaches. You gotta love that. Quiet, low key guy, who is hard worker on the field and in the film room. Plus-plus in my book.
I haven't had time to research much of the Texans draft choices but the first five pick are all good. Two strengthen the O-line and Clowney of course and with a big blocking tight end and one of the darlings of the QB class Tom Savage, again from Pitt.
The almost last but certainly not least was the aforementioned Rams selection of Michael Sam. If any GMs passes on Sam for his off field issue, shame on them. The fact is, Sam was rated high to begin with but as time passed his on-field performance was why he fell. Almost everyone agrees that Sam is a one dimensional player but the Rams defense is already good and he can be a heckuva role player on that team. He may even learn to expand his game and be an integral piece on that D. The Rams and maybe the Seahawks may have been the perfect team for Sam to go to. I saw today that Dallas let some players go to make room on the 90 man roster for approximately 20 UFA signings. Houston signed 8 UFA's today and more may be on the way as well for them. I'll post stuff on draft picks and UFA's on the Cowboys and Texans threads. I was so excited about this draft it's too bad I missed it live. Hope your team/s got an A grade for their draft picks. All except, Eagles, Giants and Redskins fans that is. LOL!

eagle eye
05-13-2014, 11:17 AM
One last revelation about this year's draft. It was entertaining and it was exciting and it was the first time since 1938 that NO player has been drafted in the NFL draft from the University of Texas. None, zip, nada. That is amazing and even more than that unbelievable. To think no player from UT was drafted is unexplainable. There were certainly candidates but when it was all said and done with all 32 NFL teams decided UT didn't have anything to offer in this year's draft. Even Dallas passes on legacy player Jackson Jeffcoat whose father Jim had a standout career as a defensive end for the Cowboys wasn't deemed worth even a 7th round draft pick. I just have to shake my head in disbelief that a major college like UT with their storied history didn't have a player drafted. Wow.

This is the second year in a row a running back was not taken in the 1st round. Are we in the Matrix or just what is going on here? The catch phrase has now become a cliché--it's a passing league and RB's just don't have the value they used to.