PDA

View Full Version : FANTASY NATION Top 10 Fantasy for the 2014 year!!!

boomer
05-27-2014, 01:55 PM
OK Fantasy Nation is back and we are going to start getting you in the money early this year. The Staff as a whole took our moves from last year and cashed in well in all leagues. I hope we can pass this on to you unless you are in our league.

So we decided to start with impact Wide outs.

10. Randall Cobb, WR, Packers Randall Cobb played in only six games this past season, yet he still managed to register 511 total yards and four touchdowns. Extrapolate that over a 16-game slate, and you get 83 receptions, 1,363 yards and 11 touchdowns. Those are fringe WR1 numbers.

9.Demaryius Thomas, WR, Broncos I wouldn't expect Demaryius Thomas to reach 14 touchdowns again, but he'll continue to serve as a top-five fantasy receiver as long as Peyton Manning is at the helm. Keep in mind that Thomas could see more targets next year with Eric Decker gone.

8.Brandon Marshall, WR, Bears Alshon Jeffery took major strides in 2013, prompting Brandon Marshall's catches and receiving yards to drop (118 to 100 and 1,508 and 1,295). His touchdowns increased, however, because the offense as a whole was more efficient. Expect more of the same this upcoming season. I am high on this loaded offense this year.

7.Jordy Nelson, WR, Packers Jordy Nelson caught 85 passes for 1,314 yards and eight touchdowns this past season despite missing Aaron Rodgers for half the year. That's pretty damn impressive. Nelson will finish the 2014 campaign with WR1 numbers if Rodgers stays on the field.

6.Antonio Brown, WR, Steelers Make no mistake the Steelers have made moves to right the ship. Antonio Brown took a huge leap forward in 2013, catching 110 balls for 1,499 yards and eight touchdowns, all while becoming the second player in league history to register at least five receptions in every single game. It's not realistic to expect Brown to repeat his numbers. He figures to serve as a borderline WR1 this season.

5.Alshon Jeffery, WR, Bears Earl Bennett was let go, this kid is the real deal and he had my favorite quality consistency. Alshon Jeffery made the Pro Bowl in his second year, catching 89 passes for 1,421 yards and seven touchdowns. Those numbers weren't fluky at all; Jeffery is a legitimate stud who would be a No. 1 receiver on many teams. However, the opposition can't exactly focus on Jeffery with Brandon Marshall on the other side.

4.Julio Jones, WR, Falcons speed kills and talent doesn't hurt either.Julio Jones was expected to expand on his 79-1,198-10 season in 2012, but a fractured foot put the kibosh on his 2013 campaign. He was impressive when he was on the field, accumulating at least 76 receiving yards in each of his five games. Jones should return back to WR1 form as long as he's healthy in 2014.

3.A.J. Green, WR, Bengals It gets really hard here but this is how i broke it down.A.J. Green posted career-high numbers in receptions (98), yards (1,426) and touchdowns (11) in 2013. He'll continue to be one of fantasy's best receivers, but it's a shame that Andy Dalton's will have a new OC and the same arm; otherwise, Green would be close to Calvin Johnson territory.

2.Dez Bryant, WR, Cowboys This boy has a beastmode to him and is now the man on this team at WR. Dez Bryant was unstoppable down the stretch of the 2012 season, and that carried over into 2013, when he caught 93 passes for 1,233 yards and 13 touchdowns. Bryant scored in each of his final five games of the year. There's no reason to think his numbers will decline. There should be no secret that I like Romo and win or loose yards are compiled.

1.Calvin Johnson, WR, Lions Simply the best! Calvin Johnson's yardage mark dropped from 1,964 to 1,492 (albeit in two fewer games), but his touchdown total went up from five to 12. He did all of this while experiencing soreness in his knees. Johnson wasn't completely healthy in 2013, so expect his numbers to increase if he's 100 percent next year. I like Stafford also and will also be high on Bush to help out along with alot of two TE sets this year to give Megatron more time to create space.

The one guy I did not put on the list that was money all year was:
Josh Gordon, WR, Browns The problem is he is as ESPN reported earlier this month that Gordon was headed for a year-long ban after failing a drug test for marijuana. FOX Sports 1 NFL insider Mike Garafolo reported that Gordon hopes to have the suspension reduced to four to six games upon appeal.

Neither the Browns nor Gordon's camp have provided details on what exactly happened. But new Oakland Raiders wide receiver Greg Little ( who is one of Gordon's close friends and a Browns teammates until being waived last week )indicated Thursday night that the suspension may not stem from something as simple as a positive urine sample.

I can't believe how WR heavy the NFC north is, what happened to the black and blue moniker?

Well Double E how does your list shake out?

eagle eye
05-30-2014, 10:57 AM
I was challenged by Boomer to post my top ten WRs and I've been working on my list and my work has been derailed a bit by my laptop crapping out on me so I'm finally posting my list. I made it a point not to make anything more than a cursory look at Boomer's list so it would predjudice my list. So fantasy football nuts, here's a list you can judge whether you like it better or worse than Boomer's list. Keep in mind we are 3 months away from the regular season and 7 weeks away from training camp so a lot could change but, what the heck, we're talking football in May and that ain't a bad thing.

What could've been a top 2 or 3 WR on this list won't make it. Why? Because Josh Gordon can't pass a routine drug test. Cleveland's best WR and a real steal they got in the supplemental draft in 2012 had become something really special and he actually led the NFL in receiving yards last season with 1,646 yards and that was in only 14 games because he was suspended for the first 2 because he failed a drug test. He became the only player in NFL history to get 200+ yards receiving in 2 consecutive games. And that's with a group of has beens and never will be's throwing the ball. This year will see the Browns decide between Brian Hoyer who tore his ACL in the 3rd game of the only three game winning streak the Browns had last season and Johnny Football. The upgrade to the receiving corp in free agency and a good draft should improve the Browns and Gordon's prospects in 2014. Until he failed a third drug test this spring. In the words of Brian on The Family Guy, "Hey, what the hell!". There does seem to be a cloud surrounding this latest issue with Gordon. It's possible that he didn't fail a test he just missed a test which under the NFL substance abuse program constitutes a fail. Or Gordon may to the route of Richard Sherman and challenge the testing procedure. Sherman had a 4 game suspension overturned because his sample leaked because it was not sealed properly. Either way there is a chance Gordon could end up with a 4-6 game suspension or none at all. So far the final decree from Mount Roger has not been sent down to the masses yet so I just talked myself into including Gordon on my list.

Here are my top ten fantasy football WRs from 1 to 10.

1. Calvin Johnson - They don't call him Mega-tron for nothing. Tied for 3rd in TDs (12), 3rd in Yards (1,492) and top ten in receptions. The only thing to keep an eye on is there is a new head coach and OC so Johnson and Matt Stafford have some work to do this summer. But, if there's one thing you know and that's you can't keep a badass Transformer down.
2. DeMaryius Thomas - The Denver Broncos have a pass happy QB and he loves him some DeMaryius Thomas. 4th in receiving yards and #1 in TDs with 14. The only receiver with more TDs is TE, Jimmy Graham, with 16. With the loss of Eric Decker Thomas may see more targets in 2014 and one other thing about Thomas is he is really good at the run-after-the-catch. But all the guys on this list are too.
3. Dez Bryant - No, this isn't a homer pick. Dez is this good and should only get better with former Lions OC Scott Linehan on board this year. An improved O-line and a running game should make the Cowboys even more explosive. As long as Dez' back remains healthy he should really shine in this, his contract year. Dez was 2nd in TD's (13) and with 93 catches for 1200+ yards he is blossoming in Dallas. If Romo is truly healthy then there's nothing holding Dez back from a monster year.
4. Brandon Marshall - Marshall is part of a hellatious 1-2 WR punch in Chicago but I'm giving Marshall the edge over Alshon Jeffery because he had more receptions (100 to 89), more TDs (12 to 7) but less yards (1295 to 1421). The 126 less yards over 16 games isn't that much. You will see Jeffrey later in the list the 4 spot is Marshall's.
5. A J Green - Green's combination of yards, receptions and TD make him a top five guy for the Bengals. With the Bengals having a new OC and Andy Dalton now looking at A J McCarron in his rearview mirror things may heat up in bengal tiger country. If Dalton falters is could be the A J and A J show. I know there's a catch phrase there somewhere. A J deaux? If it happens I'll work on it. Either way Green is just too good.
6. Pierre Garcon - The Redskins receiver stayed healthy in 2013 and blew up and it didn't matter if RGIII or Kirk Cousins was throwing the rock. He was #1 in catches, #8 in yards but he only had 5 TDs. Garcon has really found a home in Washington and the new coaching staff is the only thing that could hold him back. Jay Gruden is a rookie head coach but he was pretty good as OC in Cincinnati.
7. Alshon Jeffrey - Chicago has probably the best one-two punch in football right now although we'll see how Pierre Garcon and DeSean Jackson mesh in DC. Jeffrey has the size and the hands and the athletism to be really special and the Bears have him.
8. Antonio Brown - Pittsburgh had no problem saying goodbye to Mike Wallace because they knew they had something special in Brown. They added former Saint Lance Moore in free agency and drafted Clemson WR Martavis Moore. A guy with good size and good hands. All this plus some pieces added at the RB position should help Brown avoid double teams. Brown was 2nd in receiveing yards and 2nd in TDs and second in receptions. Why isn't he higher up on the list? I think Pittsburgh added a lot of weapons this off season and I think it will cut into his production in fantasy and that's the only reason.
9. Andre Johnson - Johnson was 2nd in receptions and 7th in yards but he only had 5 TDs. In 2013 the QB position was never stable and the numbers Johnson put up was in spite of this. I think Houston has upgraded themselves at all positions from last year. That's especially true if Arian Foster is healthy. The development of a complimentary WR, and I'm talking about DeAndre Hopkins, should help too. I think Bill O'Brien will be a much better fit for the Houston personnel than Gary Kubiak was and you know O'Brien coached Tom Brady in New England to a record setting season. There's no reason why Ryan Fitzpatrick, who may be replaced by Tom Savage, as the year progresses can't have success in Houston which means Andre Johnson should in for a tremendous year. (Don't worry about the holdout in OTAs, he'll be there and have a great season - that's the homer in me talking.)
10. Josh Gordon - Gordon should be no less than #2 on this list. There's just enough knucklehead in him to not see he's throwing his career away for what amounts to nothing but a buzz. Gordon was 1st in receptions by almost 150 yards, his yards per catch of 18.9 was #1 too. He only had 9 TDs but that is still tied for 6th best in 2013. The Browns are set up to have the most explosive offense in the AFC North but the uncertainty over Gordon's suspension status is throwing a big blanket over the whole thing.

That's it. Now I can check out Boomer's list and see how I can rip it. (LOL) I'll bet we gave fantasy playas a little something to talk about anyway.

Next up, running backs.

eagle eye
06-01-2014, 06:22 PM
I was ready to rip on Boomer's top ten WRs but honestly I can't argue with him even though I believe in my list too. The other thing is even though we have a few crossover names on our lists there are enough differences to show you how deep the WR position is in fantasy football.
I agree with Boomer about the depth of the WRs in the Norris Division. Top to bottom I believe it's the best and deepest in football. Although, there are arguments for a couple of other divisions too.
Tomorrow I will be posting my top 10 RBs. This position is getting like tight ends. A few top tier guys who are no brainers and a slew of 2nd tier guys you need to plug and play according to the best matchups. This, as they say (and I hate "they") the NFL is a passing league but defenses will catch up with some innovation that will force teams to depend on RBs again but for now it is what it is. You may not agree with my top 10 but keep in mind it's not necessarily the best players but the ones that are the best fantasy choices. You may be surprised at my list--then again, maybe not.

boomer
06-03-2014, 09:30 AM
So as we carry on to RB's we look for #1 stunners. There will not be alot of these guys, this is the day and age of the platoon positions. RB's are not what they used to be, there just are not that many one horse teams anymore. That makes the few that are some very valuable pieces to the team building process. We have shown you that you could push back WR a little so lets see how the RB's shake out.

1.Adrian Peterson, RB, Vikings Adrian Peterson had a predictable down year following his near-record 2013 campaign. He still managed to gain 1,266 yards and 10 touchdowns in 14 games though. The latter figure could explode if Teddy Bridgewater plays as well as he projects to.

2.Jamaal Charles, RB, Chiefs.
Jamaal Charles predictably fit perfectly into Andy Reid's offense. He didn't rush the ball as much - he saw his yardage on the ground drop from 1,509 to 1,287 - but the PPR side added a whopping 70 balls. Don't expect him to match his 19 total touchdowns in 15 games, but Charles is still a top-three fantasy pick (and No. 1 overall in PPR formats).

3.LeSean McCoy, RB, Eagles.
MARCH 28: LeSean McCoy is still a top fantasy running back, but you have to believe that his numbers (mostly receptions) will go down in the wake of the Darren Sproles trade.

Chip Kelly did wonders for LeSean McCoy's stats, as McCoy rushed for 1,607 yards and caught 52 passes for 539 receiving yards in 2013. McCoy has just 787 carries over the past three seasons, so he should be fresh heading into 2014. McCoy figures to be a top-three fantasy pick.

4.Eddie Lacy, RB, Packers.
The reigning Offensive Rookie of the Year, Eddie Lacy rushed for 1,178 yards, caught 35 balls and scored 11 touchdowns despite playing just 14 full games and missing Aaron Rodgers for a healthy chunk of the season. Lacy is going to post huge numbers in 2014 if Rodgers can remain on the field. I was high on the WR's and all they will do is open the field for Lacy. This could be one of the top OFF. in the league.

5.Montee Ball, RB, Broncos.
MARCH 28: Knowshon Moreno is gone for good. Shortly afterward, Adam Schefter tweeted out that the Broncos have lots of confidence in Montee Ball. I like the way he seems to be "the guy" is why i have him this high.
While other fantasy sites were touting Montee Ball as a third- or fourth-round fantasy target, it was obvious that John Fox and Peyton Manning wanted to go with a veteran back instead. That turned out to be the case, but given that Knowshon Moreno is a free agent, it'll be Ball's time to shine in 2014. Ball could be a fantasy monster, as double-digit touchdowns are possible in Denver's offense.

6.Matt Forte, RB, Bears.
Marc Trestman talked up Matt Forte's pass-catching ability prior to the 2013 season, so that would explain Forte's jump from 44 to 74 receptions. Expect more of the same from Forte in 2014, though I would expect his touchdown total (12 in 2013) to drop a bit. Forte was a beast last year and looked like he was running on college legs. he is a great fit for this offense. He reminds me of a "Shady-lite". A great chance could be had to pair him with Charles or Shady and take your league by surprise.

7.Arian Foster, RB, Texans.
Arian Foster had more carries than any other running back in 2012. Backs who lead the league in that category usually struggle the following season, so it wasn't a surprise that he lasted only eight games. Foster has a decent chance of rebounding in 2014, especially with Ben Tate gone, though it would be better if Gary Kubiak were still around. This is why Money-Lynch has fallen out of my top 10.

8.Zac Stacy, RB, Rams.
Zac Stacy had some awesome rushing performances as a fifth-round rookie this past season, gaining 134 yards against the Seahawks and 133 versus New Orleans. What's crazy is that Stacy did all of this without Sam Bradford. Defenses will have to respect St. Louis' aerial attack more by default next season, which will open things up for Stacy. I like what this kid did with little or no help....talking to you Tavon.

9.Andre Ellington, RB, Cardinals.
Andre Ellington was one of the most explosive players in the NFL this past season. A threat to score every time he touched the ball, Ellington didn't handle much of a workload early, but he received more and more touches as the season went on. If you take his numbers beginning in Week 8 and extrapolate them over a 16-game season, you'd get 946 rushing yards, 38 catches, 360 receiving yards and four touchdowns. That's pretty solid, but then you have to factor in that Ellington will get the ball more often because Rashard Mendenhall is gone.

10.Alfred Morris, RB, Redskins.
The bad news: Mike Shanahan, who had a penchant for turning late-round running backs like Alfred Morris into stars, is gone. The good news: Robert Griffin will be healthy heading into 2014, so teams once again won't be able to concentrate on shutting down Morris. I am taking a chance that Morris is more than a zone blocking wonder. I know he can run with power and look for Gruden to use him like he did the Lawfirm in Cincy.

So there are some surprises and this list was something else to compile. The guys are solid that are on the list , I wanted to go with guys that were consistant , as I always preach. Let's see what Double E comes up with.

eagle eye
06-03-2014, 05:27 PM
Here is my top 10 fantasy RBs going into the 2014 season. I didn’t mention it in my WR top 10 but the rankings are based on PPR leagues. I believe most fantasy leagues are in the PPR format and it does make a difference.

1. Jamal Charles – Charles stayed healthy for all of the 2013 season and his production finally matched the expectations of him. He was a real fantasy beast last year. He was third in rushing yards with 1,287 yards and tied for first with 12 rushing TDs. He was first among RBs in receiving yards with 693 on 70 receptions and he was targeted 100 times. He also had 7 TDs giving him a total of 19 TDs. Charles is still in his prime and with a RB friendly coach like Andy Reid there is no reason to believe he won’t put up huge fantasy numbers again in 2014.

2. LeSean McCoy - McCoy actually led the NFL with 1,607 rushing yards. He had 9 TDs rushing. McCoy was 7th among RBs receiving gaining 539 yards on 52 catches and 65 targets with 2 TDs. I don’t know about you but over 2,100 combined yards ain’t too shabby. His totals may come down a bit with the Eagles adding Darren Sproles in the off season but he should still be a fantasy beast.

3. Matt Forte – Forte is nearing that 30 year old mark when running backs start to decline but I don’t see him there yet based on what he was able to accomplish in 2013. He was 2nd in the NFL in rushing yards with 1,339 and he had 9 rushing TDs. He was 4th among RBs with 594 yards receiving on 74 receptions and 3 TDs. With the weapons Chicago has to work with defenses can’t key on Forte there are at least 4 other ways the Bears can go to burn them.

4. Alfred Morris – Morris was 4th in the NFL rushing with 1,275 yards but he only had 7 TDs. He added another 78 yards on 9 catches. Roy Helu was a bigger factor in the passing game. His upside is a healthy RGIII and a dangerous passing game that was made more so with the addition of DeSean Jackson in the off season that will make defenses open up running lanes to cover Jackson, Pierre Garcon and company. It all depends on the impact of new head coach Jay Gruden.

5. Adrian Peterson – With not much help around him, again, Peterson still gained 1,266 yards with was 5th in the NFL. He had 10 TDs rushing. With either Christian Ponder or rookie Teddy Bridgewater at QB the Viking will continue to lean on AP a lot. Under new head coach Mike Zimmer AP could be more of a factor in the passing game. If I’m a coach I want that man with the ball in space so I would love to see him more involved in the passing game. In 2013 AP only had 171 receiving yards on 29 receptions and 1 TD. The receiving corp should be better with better QB play but it will still center around AP.

6. Marshawn Lynch – Seattle will have a big target their backs as defending SB champs but they aren’t going to change who they are. Their passing game may have come of age in the Super Bowl this past February but the engine that drives the Seahawk bus is Lynch. 6th in the NFL in rushing yards and whopping 12 TDs means fantasy owners shouldn’t pass on ol’ skittles if he’s available in their fantasy drafts.

7. Eddie Lacy – It’s all about potential. Lacy is the first Alabama back to really hit NFL gold in the past decade. A threat in the run and passing games Lacy should have even more upside this season with Aaron Rodgers back on the field. Lacy was 8 in rushing yards with 1,178 yards and 11 TDs and he wasn’t used as much as you would think in the passing game but he did have 35 grabs for 257 yards and you’d think with Rodgers back and another year under his belt Lacy’s numbers will be up in 2014.

8. Knowshon Moreno – The newest Miami running back has come a long way from his “No-Show” Moreno days. He doesn’t fumble, He’s good coming out of the backfield and he’s gotten really good at pass protection. The best thing about Moreno is he’s only 26. Right square in the middle of his prime. He was only #12 in rushing yards with 1,038 yards but he has developed a nose for the end zone scoring the 2nd highest rushing TD total in the NFL with 11 and he was the 4th leading RB in reception yards with 548 yards on 60 catches and 3 TDs.

9. DeMarco Murray – 10th in the NFL in rushing with 1,121 and 9 TDs. Murray was the first back in Dallas to bust the 1,000 yard barrier since Julius Jones did it in 2006. He also added another 350 yards on 53 grabs and a TD. His 5.2 YPC was the best in the NFL among RBs with 150 or more carries. New passing game coordinator Scott Linehan has taken over the play calling and IMO he will be light years better than Bill Calahan was. The Cowboys O-line was much improved last year and the addition of Zack Martin should make this unit even better. Meaning DeMarco Murray should be that much better.

10. Chris Johnson – This is me going out on a limb here when I could be playing it safer by tagging Ryan Mathews or Reggie Bush or Frank Gore but the fact is I don’t believe Johnson had a chance to succeed in Tennessee under Mike Munchak. Johnson flourished under Jeff Fisher but struggled when Fisher was fired. I think his new team likes to run the ball….a lot. Ground and pound is the philosophy of the Rex Ryan led Jets. They will want to use Johnson in the passing game as well. If you think Johnson is over the hill and that’s why his production has waned the last couple of years then you’re saying 28 is over the hill. I would disagree whole heartedly. The Jets, even when bad offensively have been in contention in the AFC East and the Jets have really made an effort to upgrade their talent starting with signing Johnson during free agency this spring. I look for Johnson to have a rebirth in the Big Apple and for fantasy owners as well.

Boomer and I have definitely given fantasy players a unique look at the running back position. Considering the players who both left off this position may not be as thin as it first appears.

eagle eye
06-05-2014, 10:57 AM
I'm beating Boomer to the punch on our Top 10 QBs. I thought that our ranking of RBs and WRs would be more alike and even though we had some common choices in players they weren't necessarily ranked the same. Some while I believe we'll be more like-minded in our quarterback rankings there are still a lot of opportunities for disparity.

Top 10 QBs

1. Peyton Manning - Can anyone argue with this pick? For fantasy football owners this is as much of a no-brainer pick as there is. This guy is a stat machine. Now we'll see if the loss of Eric Decker will affect the Broncos offense because they will need to make up for the 1,288 yards on 87 catches with 11 TDs. Emmanuel Sanders came to Denver in free agency this spring but can Sanders develop a chemistry with Manning similar to the chemistry between Manning and Decker? Will Wes Welker be able to avoid the concussions he suffered in 2013? These are daunting questions but it's Manning. He could be throwing to me and make it work.

2. Drew Brees - The Saints under Sean Payton with Brees have been money for fantasy players. Brees trailed only Peyton Manning in total yards (5,162) and TDs (39). The dynamic of the team may change just like the Broncos because they lost two of Brees' favorite targets, Lance Morgan and Darren Sproles. Kenny Stills and Brandon Cooks will have to make up for Morgan's stats and Mark Ingram or Khiry Robinson will have to take up Sproles slack. But, it's Brees. 'Nuff said.

3. Matthew Stafford - I considered moving Stafford up to No 2 based on the 4,650 yards with 29 TDs up to 2nd but Brees is just playing at too high a level for him to be anything less than 2nd in my rankings. There is a little upheavel in Detroit too with a new head coach (Jim Caldwell) and new offensive coordinator (Joe Lombardi). Caldwell is an offensive minded coach who was Peyton Manning's OC and head coach in Indianapolis and Lombardi has been QB coach of the Saints the past five seasons. So, you have to feel like Stafford is still going to be slinging the rock around. The Lions still have plenty of the weapons that stepped up for Detroit last season plus they added Golden Tate in free agency and the top receiving TE in this year's draft in Eric Ebron.

4. Matt Ryan - Atlanta sucked last year but that was on defense for the most part. Ryan had 4,500 yards passing and that's with Roddy White semi crippled and Julio Jones out 11 games. I don't need to gone on and on. I think Atlanta upgraded their defense in free agency and the draft and in the division they play in they will definitely need to pass the football. The Falcons will need to find someone to replace Tony Gonzalez production and there's no one on the roster I can see doing that. Steven Jackson and Jacquizz Rodgers will probably have to take up some of that slack.

5. Phillip Rivers - The will be the Chargers second season under head coach Mike McCoy and 2013 was a rebirth in many ways for Rivers. Ranked 5th in passing yards (4.478) and his 32 TDs is nothing to sneeze at. The addition of Danny Woodhead was a good add in 2013 and I'm convinced Antonio Gates has found the fountain of youth. Wide receiver depth is good with the emergence of Keenan Allen.

6. Tom Brady - The guy has been a perennial top 3 guy for over a decade but he needs some help. No real deep threat and an All-Pro TE you can't count on to stay on the field because of injury and they lost their best RB at the end of 2013, LeGarrett Blount, in free agency. He will have to depend on Shane Vereen who's been a better receiver than running back and Stevan Ridley who can hang on to the ball. Ouch. He still has Danny Amendola and Julian Edelman and Aaron Dobson showed improvement in 2013. Can they find another Aaron Hernandez at TE to compliment Gronk? That question has yet to be answered. Brady has consistantly done more with less help than any QB in the NFL. I really don't like to admit it but over the last dozen years I think Brady has been the best QB of his era.

7. Tony Romo - This is not a homer pick, it really isn't. Romo didn't make the top ten in passing yards last season, he was 12th but he missed the last game of the season with a herniated disc in his back or he would have been top 10. His TD/INT ratio in 2013 was 31/10 which was top 5. His completion percentage of 63.9 was sixth among the top ten QBs. All this having to sit on the sideline and watch the worst defense in team history get pummelled by every offense they faced. Add to the fact that he actually fought his back issue all season until actually herniating that disc in his back in game 15 vs the Redskins. If you remember, he finished that game with a last minute come from behind win despite pain so severe in his back he could barely walk. The addition of Scott Linehan as passing game coordinator should be a huge upgrade over Bill Callahan. Just look what Linehan did with Matthew Stafford and Calvin Johnson and Reggie Bush. A healthy Romo and a better play caller behind a better O-line with the addition of Zack Martin and you can see Romo's upside is pretty big.

8. Aaron Rodgers - Rodgers missed a big chunk of 2013 due to missing 7 games. He probably should be ranked higher but the QBs above him are pretty good too. The Packers, much like the Cowboys, have had a lot of injury issues to deal with this past year including the lost of one of Rodgers' favorite receivers, TE Jermichael Finley. Randall Cobb and Jordy Nelson are still on hand with Eddie Lacy giving the Pack a real running game for a change. Filling that tight end void and getting something from the other wide receivers will be a must. With Rodgers under center it makes everyone better. As for TE, Andrew Quarless seemed to have a little something and with Jordy Nelson missing some time last year Jarrett Boykin showed he has some game. Honestly, Rodgers is down in this list and he probably doesn't deserve to be. But, people may discount Rodgers a little which could mean you can pick him up with great value in your fantasy draft.

9. Ben Roethlesberger - Big Ben put up top 10 numbers in 2013. They also have upgraded their offensive weapons from a year ago with the addition of Lance Moore and LeGarrett Blount in free agency and Dri Archer and Martavis Bryant among others in the draft. The Steelers also upgraded their defense which should help the Steelers get more possessions for their offense to work with.

10. Robert Griffin III - This #10 spot was hard for me because there are a lot of guys I could have plugged in here. The reasons I chose Griffin are these: 1. He will be healthy for the first time in 2 years. 2. The addition of DeSean Jackson to an already formidable array of weapons is down right scary. 3. Jay Gruden as head coach who is offensive minded was able to do nice things with Andy Dalton and company in Cincinnati. 4. Simply because of the weapons he has at his disposal and the lessons RGIII surely must have learned, by running the read option under the Shanahans to avoid being careless with his body, he seems to have the most upside of the other contenders for the tenth spot like Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, Carson Palmer and maybe even Johnny Football.

The QB position is pretty deep with quality options but this is my list and until late August when the real games are about to start I'll stick with it.

eagle eye
06-06-2014, 09:05 PM
If you read my top ten QBs list in a previous post you may have agreed or not. That's the fun of the such things and it gives you a little football talk which isn't a bad thing. My prospectus could change a little bit because of a revelation that was reported today on NFL.com. It seems that the San Diego offense will be "unleashed" on opponents by running their band new no-huddle offense. Offensive coordinator Frank Reich, who was the backup in Buffalo to Jim Kelly during their run of 4 consecutive Super Bowl appearances and was QB coach of the Indianapolis Colts during the Peyton Manning years announced on the NFL.com's "Around the League Podcast" that Rivers will be running a no-huddle offense like Manning ran in Indy with elements of Buffalo's "K-gun" offense from his Buffalo Bills days. That means more plays in what was already and up tempo offense in 2013 that rejuvenated Phillip Rivers career and earned him Comeback Player of the Year for 2013. This is info it would do well for fantasy football players to file away for a certain draft this summer.

eagle eye
06-17-2014, 09:43 PM
In case you've been looking for Boomer's top 10 QBs fret not. He should be rolling them out pretty soon. He and his family have been on a well deserved vacation. We should be getting the benefit of his insight any time now!

boomer
06-19-2014, 11:38 PM
Ok this one is alot harder than one would think. I spent some time on the beach and with the Mouse putting thought into it and am going with my gut on this one.

1.Aaron Rodgers, QB, Packers
Aaron Rodgers played in only eight full contests this past season. If his stats were extrapolated over a 16-game season, they would've been 5,072 yards, 34 touchdowns and 12 interceptions (with 240 rushing yards). Rodgers should have a great year with the weapons he has been given.

Drew Brees, QB, Saints.
Drew Brees has thrown for 5,100 yards or more in the past three seasons. Can he keep it up? Well, an encouraging sign is that he did this despite the team's improved defense, so he should be able to approach and perhaps exceed the 5,000-yard plateau again, especially with Brandin Cooks on the roster. I wouldn't expect Brees to repeat his three rushing scores though. I am high on this native Texan and have never been disappointed. He also has an outstanding system and coach to work with.

3.Peyton Manning, QB, Broncos
Those expecting Peyton Manning to duplicate or come close to matching his 2013 numbers will be disappointed. Manning had one of the all-time great years, thanks to an outstanding supporting cast. Eric Decker won't be around next year, while Wes Welker is slowing down. Emmanuel Sanders was added, but an aging Manning will have to battle all of the tough defenses in the NFC West. There won't be any cupcake NFC East defenses on the slate this time. Sanders is a name you will want to keep in your hat. I see no reason that he can not match Decker's lost production, make no mistake Thomas is the man.

4.Andrew Luck, QB, Colts
Andrew Luck matched his touchdown total this past season to his rookie figure, but cut his interceptions in half. This was impressive considering that he was missing Reggie Wayne for half the season. Luck should be able to explode in Year 3 with Hakeem Nicks joining Wayne T.Y. Hilton in what is now a potent receiving corps.
Here is another big Texas arm. The boy might not be flashy but he puts up point and is in a very week Div.

5.Tony Romo, QB, Cowboys
The Scott Linehan hire is going to increase Tony Romo's passing volume, so he could have a big statistical year in 2014. A poor defense will only help Romo's numbers so don't worry about that.
Tony Romo is coming his best touchdown-to-turnover ratio campaign of his career (32:11). He just missed out on 4,000 yards, but only because he was sidelined for the Week 17 loss against the Eagles. He's unlikely to regress, though there is a bit of concern because he underwent two back procedures this past season. No frills or bias here he is the straw stirring the drink in the Dallas O, all plays go throug Romo might as well ride him. He will probably go later in the top half round 4 . Romo is the bench mark for the second teir that really runs down 5-12. These QB's are all bout the same so if you are in a position to wait then you can get a good QB on the cheap.

6.Matthew Stafford, QB, Lions
Matthew Stafford is a turnover machine who has regressed the past few seasons. His mechanics are awful, and the uninspired hire of Jim Caldwell won't help matters. Stafford will post huge numbers in some games - especially if Eric Ebron develops quickly not to metion the Golden Tate who could be a good sleeper this year. I would like to point out he is another Big Texas arm. I think Reggie Bush adds another layer to this potent offense. Megatron always makes you a threat.

7. Robert Griffin, QB, Redskins
Robert Griffin saw all of his numbers plummet in 2013, but that was to be expected, given that he was coming off knee surgery. Griffin will be better this upcoming season, but keep in mind that he's extremely prone to injury. If you draft him, make sure you have a solid No. 2 quarterback. I love the addition of Jay Gruden he did great work with getting the most out out of Dalton.Don't forget that they added D-Jax this off season. Griffin is set up for success and is still a threat to run. I know what you are thinking does he just pick Texas QB's... Well that is a testament to the state of our High school programs these days.

8. Nick Foles, QB, Eagles
There's no way Nick Foles will be able to maintain his ridiculous 27-to-2 touchdown-to-interception ratio next year. He'll actually have to play multiple teams with top-10 defenses, plus opponents will be able to break down film on him and Chip Kelly's offense. Oh, and don't forget about DeSean Jackson's departure. With Jackson gone, teams will be able to pay more attention to Riley Cooper. I do like the addition of Sproles and Shady in the backfield together. Kelly is commited to moving the ball that is what you want from the Coach of your starting QB. This is a foot on the gas offense and will put up numbers, but might start slow while they adjust to the loss of Jackson. Yes it is not a loss to me that this is another Texas native.

9. Jay Cutler, QB, Bears
Jay Cutler was a solid fantasy quarterback this past season, thanks to the emergence of Alshon Jeffery as a strong No. 2 option across from Brandon Marshall. However, Cutler missed five games. This wouldn't be a big deal if it were an isolated incident, but he was banged up in 2012 and missed six contests the year before that. He has all the weapons and the line play is getting better. I love coach T and he has this offense ready to explode. He is a solid latter pick in this group and really has two # 1 WR to through to.

10.Philip Rivers, QB, Chargers
Better coaching, a No. 1 receiver and improved protection. It's almost as if Philip Rivers found a magic lamp and wished for those three things. Rivers became a solid QB1 in 2013, and he figures to continue to thrive under San Diego's new regime. He has some tough matchups but he is a model of consistency in his career. I like Danny Woodhead on this team as a late sleeper.

Remember my stance on this one is if the first 4 are gone then wait to at least round 5 to start picking. The way the flow of your draft goes will dictate when to draft. Don't jump into the frenzied waters stick with your game plan.So thats what I have and we are interested to hear what ya'll think. We also want this forum to be about interaction so if you have any questions give us a shout and we will give our best researched answers.

eagle eye
06-20-2014, 12:06 PM
Boomer makes a lot sense. I have regretted that I didn't have Aaron Rodgers listed higher on my top 10 list but I'll stick with my list. It's time to list the top 10 Tight Ends. It's going to be a bit of a no-brainer but there may be a surprise in there too. But, I can tell you right now North Carolina's Eric Ebron won't be on the list. He may be the most highly tauted TE in this year's rookie crop but rookie receivers rarely light up opposing defenses in their first year. Look at the highly tauted TE from Stanford last year that went to Dallas, Gavin Escobar. He was primarily a receiving TE and when he came to the NFL it was clear he needed an time to get stronger and learn how to be a complete TE, i.e. blocking for the run and in pass protection. This summer reports from Cowboys practices Escobar has bulked up without sacrificing his speed and quickness and a year in the NFL has definitely helped his overall game. Escobar may be stealing touches from Jason Witten this season. Back to Ebron, another red flag is there is a whole new coaching staff in Detroit and everyone is learning a new system. That and Brandon Pettigrew and Joseph Fauria are ahead of him on the depth chart. To me Ebron is nothing more than a sleeper pick at best. So without any further ado, let's look at the tight ends.

1. Jimmy Graham - As long as he stays healthy and Drew Brees is chunking the rock and Sean Peyton is calling the plays this kid will light up defenses. When I researched the wide receivers Graham led ALL receivers in TDs with 16 which sort of makes him a red zone terrorist. With 1215 yards on 86 catches this is a no-brainer as the first TE picked in fantasy drafts.

2. Julius Thomas - Thomas exploded on the scene in 2013 as one of many weapons in the Peyton Manning Flying Circus after spending 2 years on the roster with only one catch. Last season he caught 65 balls for 788 yards and 12 TDs. He is rapidly becoming the 2nd or, at very least, the 3rd option in the Broncos passing game. His double digit TD production makes him a very attractive option.

3. Jordon Cameron - This is a kid to had a heckuva year last season in Cleveland despite having a ridiculously bad QB situation. The one guy who did well at QB in Cleveland was Brian Hoyer who is the projected starter. Then of course John E Football is waiting in the wings. With a whoppng 80 catches for 917 yards ain't too shabby. If he gets his TD up from the 7 he scored in 2013 then he will challenge for a higher spot in these ranking in 2015.

4. Vernon Davis - Since Mike Singletary benched him in a very public way a few years ago he has become a perennial top 5 TE. He's Colin Kaepernick's best friend in the 49er offense and that shouldn't change in 2014 unless he holds out for a higher salary. Rumors, you hear rumors. What isn't a rumor was his 52 grabs for 850 yards and 13 TDs.

5. Jason Witten - Witten is like the Energizer Bunny in that he just keeps going and going. The addition of Scott Linehan as passing game coordinator and the addition of TE guru Mike Pope the EB will keep rolling. In 2013 was a bit of a down year after he logged over 100 catches and 1,000 yards receiving in 2012 but his 2013 numbers were nothing to sneeze at. 73 catches for 817 yards and 8 TDs still keeps Witten a top 5 TE.

6. Antonio Gates - The rebirth of the San Diego offense under new head coach Mike McCoy in 2013 was reflected in the numbers Phillip Rivers and Gates put up in 2013. His 77 grabs for 872 yards and 4 TDs means Gates isn't getting old--he's getting better!

7. Rob Gronkowski - I'm sort of scared to list this guy because he's missed more games than he's played the last couple of years but the last time he did complete an entire season it was a toss up between Gronk and Jimmy Graham who was better. His recent injury history is the only reason his ranking in my top 10 is here and not higher up on the list. But, like the Saints who have a top notch QB and a top notch coach, if Gronk doesn't make a big comeback fantasy wise it's because he's hurt again.

8. Greg Olsen - The Carolina Panthers lost their best WR in Steve Smith so Cam Newton will depend on Olsen even more as the rock of the Panthers receiving corp. In 2013 with Smith Olsen logged 73 balls for 816 yards and 6 TDs. Look for more from Olsen in 2014.

9. Charles Clay - The Miami Dolphin found a keeper in Clay and he seems to have developed a bit of chemistry with QB Ryan Tannehill. Despite all the turmoil Miami went through last season they ended up one game out of a playoff spot. The addition of Knowshon Moreno with make the offense better and not having a full blown circus around Dolphins camp head coach Joe Philbin can work his magic. In 2013 Clay caught 69 balls for 759 yards and 6 TDs. As he gets older and a little wiser of an NFL receiver he has a lot of upside.

10. Martellus Bennett - Bennett is a big target for Jay Cutler and the Bears offense. Bennett's numbers suffered a little because an injury to Jay Cutler caused him to miss several games. That and the twin towers of Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery means Bennett sees fewer balls or so you'd think. In 2013 he caught 65 balls for 759 yards and 5 TDs.

I think I just made Boomer's job of coming up with a better top 10 a little tougher.

boomer
06-24-2014, 10:24 AM
Now this should be interesting. The way I see it this might be the weakest position of the draft. There are some great names but few are what they used to be. I am going to have trouble getting past five that I would truley want on my team! So let's take a look at Tight-ends from my point of view shall we.

1.Jimmy Graham, TE, Saints. Bye: 6.
No surprise here,Jimmy Graham accumulated 1,215 yards and 16 touchdowns in 2013 - and he did this despite playing half the snaps in some games during the second half of the season as a result of being injured. It's scary to think that Graham could have produced even better numbers. The offense will go through some changes this year as the roster has changed but the passing game will still drive the Saints.

2.Julius Thomas, TE, Broncos. Bye: 4.
I had no idea who Julius Thomas was in August 2013, and few could have envisioned that he'd have the type of year he enjoyed. The ultra-athletic Thomas caught 65 passes for 788 yards and 12 touchdowns in 2013. His targets figure to rise next season with Eric Decker gone and Wes Welker declining.
The caveat to this is he has always been a health risk. He is the #2 as long as he can stay healthy buyer beware.

3.Jason Witten, TE, Cowboys. Bye: 11.
Jason Witten saw his receptions total drop from 110 to 73. He's getting older - 32 in May - so he'll continue to slow down. His eight touchdowns may stand out, but keep in mind that four of those were scored against the defensively inept Giants. I have made my feelings known about Scott Linehan, he loves to air it out. This will be good for Whitten and Escobar should be primed to have a big year also. the torch wont be passed but points are there to be had by both. Whitten is still Romo's go to man. PPR is a plus.

4.Greg Olsen, TE, Panthers. Bye: 12.
Greg Olsen maintained his numbers despite Rob Chudzinski leaving the team. He caught 73 balls for 816 yards and six touchdowns in 2013. There's no reason to think those figures will decline; in fact, they'll probably rise because Cam Newton lost all of his receivers. The best friend of a QB in need is a three down tight-end. Olsen has been a solid pick his whole career and now is the leading reciever to return.

5.Charles Clay, TE, Dolphins. Bye: 5.
The Dolphins were expecting big things from Dustin Keller after bringing him in, but Charles Clay stepped up after Keller was lost for the year. Clay finished with 69 catches, 759 yards and seven touchdowns. He'll continue to be a big part of Miami's offense. the Dolfins have revamped the passing game this year and are showing a new commitment to Tannehill.

6.Kyle Rudolph, TE, Vikings. Bye: 10.
Kyle Rudolph had a disappointing 2013 campaign, catching 30 balls for 313 yards and three touchdowns in eight games. However, the arrow is pointing up for Rudolph because Norv Turner is his new offensive coordinator. Turner frequently gets the most out of his tight ends, so Rudolph should have his best season yet.I am not scared away by the QB play. You know who he is so production has come in the worst of times.

7.Jordan Reed, TE, Redskins. Bye: 10.
Jordan Reed had an awesome rookie campaign, catching 45 passes for 449 yards and three touchdowns. Those numbers may not look great, but consider that Reed did this in just eight full games. Robert Griffin should bounce back this upcoming season, which is great news for those who end up with Reed on their fantasy roster. New offensive minded coach that gets the tight-ends going in the O. Spider-Y-Bananna time for the Skins.

8.Jordan Cameron, TE, Browns. Bye: 4.
Jordan Cameron caught 80 balls for 917 yards and seven touchdowns in 2013. Those numbers were impressive, and there were two men responsible for that: Norv Turner and Rob Chudzinski. Both are gone. Cameron's stats should decrease as a result. He had a drop off in the second half of last year 321 yards and 1 touchdown. Now he has to do it without Gordon. I think he will be like Owen Daniels used to be for the Texans, add the Shanahan zone blocking scheme for the running game and he should have holes to sit in.

9.Martellus Bennett, TE, Bears. Bye: 9.
Martellus Bennett proved to be a big producer in Marc Trestman's offense, snatching 65 receptions for 759 yards and five touchdowns, marking the second consecutive season he's hauled in five scores. The flip side to this is he can't do much better. He is the fourth option in a potent recieving group made up of two #1 WR's and one of the best recieving RB's in the game today.

10. Dennis Pitta, TE, Ravens. Bye: 11.
Dennis Pitta fractured his hip in the preseason. The initial prognosis was that he'd miss the entire year, but he came back for the final four games of the season and managed to catch 20 balls. Pitta will be healthy going into 2014, and his outlook is up because offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak tends to make fantasy studs out of his tight ends. The Ravens have the weapons to spread the field and last years numbers are a good example of Flacco's faith in him.

So that is what I have for the tight-ends, I tried to stay away from the likes of Gronks with his back , forearm and knee injuries along with others that i just didn't think could do it again for you this year. I am telling you now if you are in a TE league this is not a position you can sleep on.

eagle eye
06-24-2014, 10:35 AM
I agree with Boomer in that the tight end position isn't as deep as the other offensive categories but if you're paying attention and don't get discouraged when your buddy takes Jimmy Graham too early. Just smile and know that that will make you able to get some depth at a more important spot and still get a nice TE.

eagle eye
07-03-2014, 11:29 AM
At Boomer's behest I am posting a list of my top 10 sleepers for 2014. This list, as all the other lists, are premature without even a preseason game to go by but I had fun deciding on this list. As a bit of a disclaimer I will tell you that this list is of the 10 players I see as having the potential to surprise fantasy owners and NFL fans alike with their performances in 2014. This is not a list of the 10 best sleepers ranked 1 to 10. It is a list of the 10 best sleepers as I see it. So, don't get hung up on the number beside the name, that was to keep track of how many sleepers I had picked. Nothing more. You'll also note I didn't pick perennial top fantasy players because they might be coming off a down year or an injury. I also didn't pick guys like Giovanni Bernard and Andre Ellington because their roles are expected to expand in 2014. Those guys aren't sleepers but they may be considered a little higher on your draft list. These aren't household names for the most part but they are up for a big chunk of their team's offense. So, as they say on TV, in no particular order, are my top 10 sleepers for 2014---for now.

1. Delanie Walker TE Tennessee Titans - Delanie shoud be even better under new head coach Ken Whisenhunt’s offense. Delanie had 60 catches for 571 yds and 6 tds last season in a joke of a season by Tennessee under former head coach Mike Munchak. Jack Locker was hurt, Ryan Fitzpatrick was rocked behind a terrible O-line and the Titans overall were just bad. Delanie is a very versitile TE who can play tight on the line or in the slot or out wide. Whisenhunt will love this guy.

2. Jake Locker QB Tennessee Titans - Coming off injury looking to prove he isn't a bust Locker will have a big fire burning inside Locker to prove himself. Before he was injured last season he was looking like the guy Tennessee wanted when he was drafted in 2011. Locker sustained a hip injury in September and he came back in October but on November 10 loss to Jacksonville Locker suffered a Lisfranc injury to his foot and missed the rest of the season. As with Delanie Locker should benefit from having Ken Whisenhunt as head coach and defacto OC.

3. Andrew Quarless TE GB Packers - The numbers Quarless put up in 2013 32/312/2 weren't overly impressive but, there are reasons for this. Aaron Rodgers was lost for most of the season and Jermichael Finley played the first nine games before bruising his spinal chord vs the Browns and was out the rest of the season. With Rodgers back and Finley gone Quarless will get his big opportunity. He certainly has the talent to flourish especially with Rodgers back under center.

4. Golden Tate WR Detroit Lions - His production in Seattle in 2013 was big. Very few drops and he was open -- a lot. Despite some NFL analysts saying that the Seattle WRs were, in effect, second rate Tate put up some very nice numbers (64/898/5) for Seattle in a run oriented offense. Now with Detroit Tate's opportunities opposite megatron should be greater with more one on one coverage. Tate could very likely be that impact #2 receiver Detroit has been trying to find since Megatron came into town.

5. Michael Floyd WR Arizona Cardinals - Floyd will be a 3rd year player in 2014 and that is usually the time frame when WRs ‘break out’. In 2013, playing opposite Larry Fitzgerald he recorded 65/1041/5. Not exactly sleeper numbers but watch out in 2014 under second year head coach Bruce Arians. Floyd and Fitzgerald may prove to be the best one-two WR punch in the NFL.

6. Chris Johnson RB NY Jets - How about a familiar name as a sleeper? Chris Johnson is now with NY Jets and head coach Rex Ryan loves his ground and pound. CJ2K gives the Jets speed they haven’t had in a while and the Jet O-line is better than the one he had hell running behind the last couple of years. I also don't think CJ2K got along with his old coach Mike Munchak which didn't help any. New team, new attitude, better coach, better line. Seems like Johnson could be a candidate for comeback player of the year!

7. Jason Avant WR Carolina Panthers - How about Panther WR Jason Avant? Avant has been solid in his career spent with Philly but of the WRs on the Panthers roster Avant seems the most likely to fill the shoes of Steve Smith as the go-to guy for Cam Newton. Past numbers are irrelevant here because it’s a new team and a new situation and a new opportunity for Avant. Guys like Kelvin Benjamin and Marcus Lewis may be the future but the now looks like it should belong to Avant.

8. Rashad Jennings RB NY Giants - Jennings has been a more than capable backup in Jacksonville and Oakland and now at 29 he will get his shot at being the bell cow. Jennings has proved that he can start and be effective and the plus is he is good in the passing game which means he is a true 3-down back. He has David Wilson behind him but it’s already been decided he’s the change of pace guy so it should be Jennings' job to lose.

9. DeAndre Hopkins WR Houston Texans - Even if Andre Johnson gets his shit together and joins the team this is Hopkins 3rd season and he should flexing his receiving muscles this season. New system, new QB, new attitude in Houston. In 2013 Hopkins put up decent numbers, 52/802/2. I expect these numbers to be way better in 2014 with or without Andre Johnson on the field.

10. Ryan Fitzpatrick QB Houston Texans - This guy has played under shaky circumstances his whole career but when the Buffalo Bills were healthy Fitz was pretty darn good. Despite doubts by Andre Johnson that Houston doesn’t have a quality starting QB I disagree. Bill O’Brien has proven he’s a good QB coach and more importantly a QB friendly coach. Look for good things from Fitz in 2014. I honestly believe Houston is going to surprise a lot of people this season and not in the bad way they did in 2013.

There it is. Feel free to agree or disagree or give me a player or two YOU think will break out in 2014. Like who will be the 2014 version of Arian Foster? If Andre Johnson decides to retire or gets traded can DeVier Posey and/or Kareem Martin be a legit #2?

boomer
07-06-2014, 12:25 AM
OK sorry about the wait but I wanted to give a truly comprehensive list of the "sleepers" that will be out there this year. I think there are some gems to be had in the later rounds if you can stick to a drafting plan and keep these guys under your sleeve. This is not a list of guys to help build your team. this is a list to help round it out. I do not recommend going into the season with any of these guys penciled in as starters, but if you have them stashed it could keep you off the waiver wire and help you as the season goes on. This is a medium risk high reward venture when drafted correctly. Remember no one is a steal if they are drafted to early.

SLEEPERS

1.Khiry Robinson, RB, Saints. Bye: 6. ADP: 9.05.
It's not wise to count on any Saint running back, but Khiry Robinson has the most potential. He saw most of the workload in the divisional round of the playoffs after Bill Parcells told Sean Payton that Robinson reminded him of Curtis Martin.

2.Tavon Austin, WR, Rams. Bye: 4. ADP: 9.07.
I listed Tavon Austin as a bust receiver this past season. He was getting too much hype, and rookie wideouts usually tend to disappoint. Now that everyone has seen Austin struggle, we can buy low on him. His 40 receptions led all Ram receivers, and Austin will have Sam Bradford throwing the ball to him again.

3.Charles Johnson, WR, Browns. Bye: 4. ADP: Undrafted.
Charles Johnson is an interesting player. He's big (6-2, 215) and very fast (4.39 40) for a man his size. The Packers wanted to retain him, but the Browns stole him off waivers. Given Cleveland's situation at receiver, Johnson could emerge as a starter. I'll be monitoring him in the preseason. Josh Gordon was arrested as of this posting for a DWI, he will not be back this season so the Browns WR spots are up for grabs. Miles Austin is two steps away from a hamstring injury right now.

4.Kenny Britt, WR, Rams. Bye: 4. ADP: 14.02.
Kenny Britt has been a huge disappointment the past few seasons because he hasn't been able to stay healthy. A bad attitude hasn't helped either. However, he's reunited with Jeff Fisher in a new home, and has reportedly look good in OTAs, so this will be a bounce-back opportunity for him.

5.Marques Colston, WR, Saints. Bye: 6. ADP: 8.05.
Marques Colston is coming off the worst season of his career, thanks to a knee injury that limited him in the first half of the year. He took off in the second half, however, looking like the Colston we're used to seeing. He should continue to be a WR2.

6.Bernard Pierce, RB, Ravens. Bye: 11. ADP: 9.11.
Ray Rice has been indicted on a count of aggravated assault, so he could be facing a suspension. Bernard Pierce could be in for a big year. Pierce failed to take advantage of Ray Rice's injuries this past season. He was hurt himself, and the decrepit offensive line didn't help. Pierce underwent rotator cuff surgery in January, but he should be ready by training camp. He has buy-low potential.

7.Michael Floyd, WR, Cardinals. Bye: 4. ADP: 7.05.
Michael Floyd was a monster during the middle of the season. He had a three-game stretch in which he went: 6-193-1, 7-104-0 and 5-99-1. An ankle injury hobbled him at the end of the year, but Floyd has made enough improvements in his game to be considered a high WR3.

8.Christine Michael, RB, Seahawks. Bye: 4. ADP: 11.04.
Christine Michael is a stud who has a good chance to be a first-round fantasy pick in the future. He could produce RB1 numbers if Marshawn Lynch goes down, Lynch has had a crap load of carries in the past few years along with hitting the big 30.The coaching staff has already had to back off comments about the West Brook alum being ready to start this year.

9.Bishop Sankey, RB, Titans. Bye: 9. ADP: 7.01.
Bishop Sankey has the most present and future potential of all the rookie running backs. His main competition for now is Shonn Greene, who just underwent knee surgery and will miss all of the OTAs. Remember that Tennessee has a brand-new coaching staff, so it's not like Ken Whisenhunt has any allegiance to Greene. Sankey should be able to win the job and keep it. He is a versital athlete who steps into an offense without a true weapon. He is also a good reciever out of the backfield. He had seasons of 28 and 33 receptions for the Huskies. The latter came while averaging 140 yds a game.

10.Terrance West, RB, Browns. Bye: 4.
Thanks to the Texans Ben Tate is limited with injuries, Terrance West has been getting most of the first-team reps. The expectation is that he'll have a major role in the offense. The Browns like Terrance West a lot, and he may have a chance to start this year. Ben Tate has an extensive injury history, so he could easily go down again. If that happens, West may take over and never look back.

I wanted to add one more guy who isnt getting the Buzz he might deserve:

Cole Beasley, WR, Cowboys. Bye: 11. ADP: Undrafted.
Cole Beasley caught about four passes per game as the third receiver when Miles Austin-Jones was out of the lineup. He'll reprise that role in 2014 with Austin-Jones gone. He was a first look WR of Romo on third downs in the 4-WR sets and now will be on the field more.I hope to own him in my PPR leagues for sure.

eagle eye
07-07-2014, 10:33 AM
I wonder about Beasley being a viable fantasy prospect because of where he is in the pecking order of receivers. He's got Dez, Terrence Williams, Jason Witten and if the word is correct the other TE Gavin Escobar is pushing his way into the mix. Not to mention how much new passing game coordinator Scott Linehan likes Lance Dunbar. That's not even talking about DeMarco Murray and Ryan Williams. That said, I agree with Boomer's points about how much Beasley has become a favorite target for Tony Romo. Just having said that it's very encouraging on the offensive side of the ball for Dallas especially after drafting Zack Martin to fortify the O-line. The spotlight is still squarely on the defense. That side of the ball seems to have been upgraded too but that's the side of the ball most in question. Otherwise Boomer has a very interesting list and the only overlap between his and mine is WR Michael Floyd of Arizona. One guy Boomer had as a sleeper was the Saints RB Khiry Robinson. This is very interesting with Pierre Thomas and perennial underachiever Mark Ingram ahead of Robinson you may wonder but somebody has to step in for Darren Sproles who is now a Philadelphia Eagle.

My question for Boomer and everyone else is this, will Sproles production fall off in Philly? Not likely especially since Bryce Brown, who filled in very well when LeSean McCoy was injured, is now gone to the Buffalo Bills backing up CJ Spiller and Freddie Jackson. Also, in New Orleans Sproles was either third or fourth on the Saints RB depth chart but his value was in the passing game. You can easily project both McCoy and Sproles on the field at the same time which minimizes the loss of DeSean Jackson. Whatever went down between Jackson and either the head coach Chip Kelly or the Eagle front office must have been big for the Eagles to let go of the best receiver on the roster. Philly's loss is the Redskins gain.

Why don't the Redskins just change their team name to the Warriors? No need to change the logo or anything and Warriors is in no way, I can see, a racial slur. I'm still undecided if the Cleveland Indians is a problem in the racial insensitvity area but I think that the Chief Wa-hoo logo may be a tad insulting to some Native Americans. I guess that's why Cleveland got rid of the logo and just has a big "C" for Cleveland on their caps and no logo at all on their unis.