PDA

View Full Version : LU and UTEP to the WAC?

jdcurran235
03-25-2011, 03:57 PM
Per Jack at bobcat Report (Post 1):
I got a new source today in Oklahoma. UCO coach Terry Evans will take the Lamar job - if offered - if he does not get hired at OU. As of 4 pm today no offers have been made and this guy thinks you're not going to offer until the OU job is filled. He also told me that the OU lead candidate is still in the tourney and might not even jump in the first place. Mizzou is still open and that may complicate things further.

This is my first tidbit from this new guy so we will see what happens. Evans was given to me from someone else.

Per Jack at bobcat Report (Post 2):
Oh! I forgot to add something VERY important. Sorry, been busy.

I checked in to Lamar's WAC candidacy with the new guy and he's convinced it's going to happen. He said they were option B and option A wasn't going to happen. When I asked about option A he said no existing FBS schools are on the table as of today but that might change once Nova joins the Big East. He is out of Tulsa and is concerned abou CUSA. I asked about Appy and he said that is a rumor with legs but nothing more at this point.

The biggest bombshell? UTEP was approached by the WAC and didn't immediately turn them down. Remember this is a new source and speculate your asses off.

CardAmbassador
03-25-2011, 04:07 PM
Per Jack at bobcat Report (Post 1):
I got a new source today in Oklahoma. UCO coach Terry Evans will take the Lamar job - if offered - if he does not get hired at OU. As of 4 pm today no offers have been made and this guy thinks you're not going to offer until the OU job is filled. He also told me that the OU lead candidate is still in the tourney and might not even jump in the first place. Mizzou is still open and that may complicate things further.

This is my first tidbit from this new guy so we will see what happens. Evans was given to me from someone else.

Per Jack at bobcat Report (Post 2):
Oh! I forgot to add something VERY important. Sorry, been busy.

I checked in to Lamar's WAC candidacy with the new guy and he's convinced it's going to happen. He said they were option B and option A wasn't going to happen. When I asked about option A he said no existing FBS schools are on the table as of today but that might change once Nova joins the Big East. He is out of Tulsa and is concerned abou CUSA. I asked about Appy and he said that is a rumor with legs but nothing more at this point.

The biggest bombshell? UTEP was approached by the WAC and didn't immediately turn them down. Remember this is a new source and speculate your asses off.

Very interesting. Jack has been saying for a while he thinks we will be in the WAC.

The most interesting tid bit is like he said UTEP. If UTEP goes to the WAC then I don't see LU getting the invite, isn't UTEP FBS???

oh, P.S. can you post this in the *rumored wac discusssion* thread next time? we are trying to keep all of these post over there, I can't figure out how to move this thread.

bigred360
03-25-2011, 04:08 PM
Yes, UTEP went to a bowl game this year.

coachacola
03-25-2011, 04:17 PM
My take on this is that Jack's source in Oklahoma thinks that the CUSA might fall apart. The CUSA has a nice TV deal now so I doubt UTEP would just up and leave unless something drastic happens to CUSA.

The WAC is scheduled to meet in mid-April I believe so I'm hoping Lamar will get the invite late April or early May. If the CUSA falls apart before that meeting then all bets are off.

NorthoftheBorder
03-25-2011, 04:22 PM
The CUSA falling apart or having big changes would have a dramatic impact on conference affiliations in the south and southwest and would affect the Sun Belt as well. It potentially could give LU more and good options.

jdcurran235
03-25-2011, 04:40 PM
Even if UTEP did go, that does not mean that LU is out. Having a 9 football conference is better for the WAC and creates more travel partners. LU/LaTech UTSA/TxSt and UTEP/NMSU.

CardAmbassador
03-25-2011, 05:08 PM
Even if UTEP did go, that does not mean that LU is out. Having a 9 football conference is better for the WAC and creates more travel partners. LU/LaTech UTSA/TxSt and UTEP/NMSU.

True but the WAC only needs 8. They could grab UTEP and then be much more patient from there out. The WAC has to play it's cards close to it's chest right now so I'm not entirely convinced there isn't some FBS school lurking out there for them. But this news does give me a new found confidence.

CardinalClaw
03-26-2011, 02:49 AM
This topic is starting to heat up over on the WAC forum.

LU4LIFE
03-26-2011, 02:51 AM
"I think the FBS boat is sailing on Lamar"

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=451&f=2368&t=7359022

CardAmbassador
03-26-2011, 04:14 AM
"I think the FBS boat is sailing on Lamar"

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=451&f=2368&t=7359022

This is a very interesting post and I think all should read it. I really wish I knew what Simmons and Tidwell are doing about the WAC candidacy.