PDA

View Full Version : NBA Free Agency

eagle eye
07-03-2014, 09:15 AM
I don't know about you but NBA free agency is the most labor intensive time of year for sports writers and broadcasters. Once the NBA finals are over the speculation over the top free agents' final destination is pounded down our throats. No other pro sport is under the white hot microscope for free agents like pro basketball. It may be labor intensive but the subject matter is confined to just a handful of players. This year it's the Carmello Anthony and LeBron James show. Will LeBron stay in Miami or is he really considering a move? Where will Carmello go? Early on it was almost considered a done deal that he was going to Chicago but today Anthony is supposed to visit the Lakers brass in LA with Kobe Bryant flying back to LA from Greece to help court him. Despite the tour of NBA teams who want to sign him, will he actually stay in New York and play for Phil Jackson? These stories are run into the ground to the extent that I turn off the radio when they talk about NBA free agency. Blah, blah, blah.
Personally, I think Cleveland has the most upside for LeBron and if Carmello decides to make Houston his home we would have to say bye-bye to Jeremy Lin and to that I say in my most incredulous tone of voice, " Hell yeah!". I have serious doubt either of those scenarios will happen but that is what make free agency fun--the ability to project your dream scenarios. Then, reality smacks you upside the head.

eagle eye
07-03-2014, 01:35 PM
How messed up is the poster near the Toyota Center of Carmello in a Rockets uniform with Jeremy Lin's number on it. Can you say insensitive? The poster is supposed to welcome Anthony into Houston for it free agent visit but it sort of is a kick in the teeth to Lin.

baller
07-03-2014, 06:55 PM
Jeremy Lin did not appreciate it.

eagle eye
07-12-2014, 10:48 AM
Most of the drama is over. The guy everyone was looking at since free agency officially began earlier this week, LeBron James, finally made his decision where he was going to play next year and going forward. Many people thought he could actually return to Cleveland but as the week progressed a letter sent by Cavs owner Dan Gilbert sent out when LeBron left Cleveland 4 years ago calling him, among other things, a coward seemed to be the fly in the ointment of James return to Cleveland. This letter was apparently a point of contention for James who had his pride and feelings hurt by that venomous letter. It seems that Gilbert and James have kissed and made up since James announced via a written statment to SI.com that he had signed with Cleveland. This put James, who is really in the prime of his career, on a team of good, young players led by Kyrie Irving vs an old and, in the case of Dwayne Wade, beat up old roster in Miami. Good move by James IMO for a ton of reasons and it should make the Cavs a favorite to make it to the finals next year in the Eastern Conference.

It was decent of James to make his decision so the other two of Miami's big 3 could decide their own futures. Who knows about Wade. He's a broken down old man in NBA terms and his future is not all that bright. Chris Bosh surprised me though. I thought he might improve his future by signing with the Rockets. I would seem Houston would be a great fit for Bosh with James Harris and Dwight Howard looking for another piece of the puzzle to get to the next level. The future certainly looked brighter for Bosh in H-town but he opted for the bigger payday in Miami. Bosh has two rings so the money spoke at a higher volume than a potential playoff team's prospects. Too bad but that's a business decision you probably can't pass on without a lot of fore thought.

It's funny, I haven't heard three words about Carmelo all week. Doesn't the media care where he will end up? Knicks--Bulls--who knows and apparently nobody cares about that right now with the big news about LeBron's return to Ohio.

Bosh does have a young player to help build around, Shabazz Nazir. LeBron was ecstatic when Miami drafted him tweeting that he was his favorite player in this year's draft. Maybe Pat Riley can salvage something Miami.

baller
07-12-2014, 04:33 PM
Rockets sign Ariza and still considering matching Dallas offer for Parsons.They still need a backup point guard and backup center.They are talking about bringing young sharpshooter Daniels back.The euphoria of having a starting lineup of Beverly,Harden,Parsons,Bosch and Howard has quickly dissipated .

eagle eye
07-13-2014, 11:06 AM
Well I guess the mystery about Carmelo is over. He's taking the money and resigning with the Knicks. 5 years and $120 mm. Anthony is throwing all his chips in with zen master Phil Jackson now calling the shots in New York. Carmelo will have to suffer through another disappointing season but when cap money becomes free in 2016 the Knicks can do some serious rebuilding.

As for the Rockets. Geez, I hope they can figure out a way to get Kevin Love but it's highly unlikely. ESPN has reported that Cleveland may actually be a player in the Love sweepstakes. The rich get richer. The Rockets need some guys who actually play defense. Chandler Parsons is no great shakes but he's better than Jeremy Lin on both ends of the floor. They are just going to have to live with the turnstile defense of James Hardin unless Kevin McHale figures out a way to convince him to work on improving what is truly a liability in Hardin's game. No way Portland should have beaten Houston in the playoffs and their gaudy shooting percentage against the Rockets probably can be directly linked to the Rockets lack of D. You need at least 3 top line players to really make a difference in the playoffs. Houston is one short.