PDA

View Full Version : Neches River Wheelhouse - Has anyone been there yet

LUSportsFan
07-24-2014, 03:32 PM
Just wondering if anyone has been to the Neches River Wheelhouse in Port Neches. It looks interesting from the pictures and I love the kind of food they have on the menu. Thinking about taking relatives over there when we make the next Beaumont run.

I saw the article in the Beaumont Enterprise Cat5 blog a couple of weeks ago. It looked interesting.

http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/cat5/2014/05/25/wheelhouse-brings-waterfront-dining-to-port-neches/#23438101=3

I have a selfish reason for asking also...

We have a group coming from Houston to Beaumont in November. I got hooked into organizing the trip so any hints on good places in the area would be greatly appreciated. Right now, it looks like we'll go the Energy Museum in Beaumont and some other places and some place to eat. I've been trying to get the group to come over for a few years so I'd like to make sure it is an enjoyable trip. Based on others we have made, I know there is plenty in the area that is as good or better than what we have been too. My problem is trying to high-grade the choices. Keep in mind I've been out of the area since the late 80's except for trips to visit family and to go to the Cardinals games. :)

Big T
07-24-2014, 05:45 PM
I personally have not, but I know several people who have eaten there and they have all said pretty much the same thing. Great relaxing atmosphere but average yet fairly pricey food. You are paying more for the atmosphere than the actual food.

Hey Guy
07-25-2014, 11:56 AM
I've been several times. It's a fantastic place to have a meal or just some drinks. Great atmosphere all around. Food is really good. Service can be sketchy at times but overall it's definitely worth it.

LU1991
07-25-2014, 02:58 PM
I hear its good but I also like the Pine Tree Lodge for out of town guest.

Big T
07-25-2014, 04:12 PM
Pine Tree Lodge is fantastic.

bigredfan2
07-25-2014, 09:34 PM
I have not gone yet, but the ROMEOs are going there next month. My son has the contract with the owners furnishing the Margarita machines, so hopefully they are good. The ROMEOs will be there for lunch, as we go to different eateries each month.

Larry Judice's French Market is always a great place to take visitors, as well as Beau Reve, on Sara Jane Road (Atlantic Road) PA.

LUSportsFan
07-27-2014, 07:40 AM
I have a good friend (native Louisianan transplanted to Houston) who told me about Larry's. He highly recommended it. For some reason, I had not heard of the Pine Tree Lodge and it was open when we still lived in the area so shame on me!!! Thanks for the suggestions. The Pine Tree Lodge reminds me of one of my favorites that is no more, the Boondocks, based on the pictures on their site. When the Boondocks was still open, my co-workers often made a stop there when we were travelling from Lafayette to Houston or back for business meetings. My daughter and nieces loved to throw hushpuppies to the gators and turtles. The racoons were a nice touch also. Too bad it closed.

Looks like the wife and I will need to make a restaurant run and check some places out. There are a lot of good places to eat in the area, and only being able to make a periodic "Beaumont run" doesn't help.

KABrother88
07-27-2014, 07:59 AM
Larry's in my personal favorite restaurant around...buffet can be a little pricey but its dang good. If you go during crawfish season, go early or be prepared to wait. But you can not beat the atmosphere

Big T
07-27-2014, 09:57 AM
If you want a more sophisticated or relaxing dinner the Larry's is not the place to go. But if you don't mind a loud atmosphere with lots of dancing then you can't get any better than Larry's.

lu cards
07-28-2014, 02:16 PM
cant beat the wheelhouse's atmosphere.when the weather is nice go sit upstairs and enjoy the view!!!