PDA

View Full Version : Raiders talk relocation with San Antonio

BigRedInsider.com
07-31-2014, 08:11 AM
LINK: http://bigredinsider.com/raiders-relocating-to-san-antonio/

Mike
07-31-2014, 09:08 AM
This is all likely just the Raiders gaining some leverage in negotiations with Oakland and probably Los Angeles but still interesting. I think the NFL season would be off the charts with Dallas/Houston and potentially San Antonio being added to the mix. Heck, the city already loves silver and black so bring on the Raiders.

Hey Guy
07-31-2014, 09:23 AM
I just don't see it happening, guy. Hey guy don't get me wrong... I want to see this happen. But guy, San Antonio is Cowboys territory. how many of those would make the switch for the Raiders? Not many, guy. Plus Jerry Jones would throw a hissy fit.

\m/
07-31-2014, 11:12 AM
San Antonio could easily support a NFL franchise given the chance and Texas is probably better suited than Florida to support 3 NFL franchises. Hell if Cleveland can I KNOW San Antonio can.

eagle eye
07-31-2014, 09:03 PM
I hate to do it but I agree with Hey Guy across the board. ESPN analysts even said that the rumors about a move to SA was a ploy to get a new stadium similar to the Rockets looking into moving to Louisville, Ky that resulted in the Toyota Center being built. There are a couple of other examples of teams doing this to scare cities into building stadiums.
I really hope that Oakland stays in Oakland. I hate when teams move. To me, it should be the St Louis football Cardinals and Rams ought to be in LA. The people of Baltimore should have demanded the Irsay's leave the Colts name in Baltimore if they insisted in moving the team like Cleveland did with the Browns name when Art Modell moved to Baltimore. I still wish Houston had retained the name Oilers when Bud Adams moved the team to Tennessee. BTW, that move came when the City would foot the bill for a new stadium. I like the Texans, don't get me wrong and the unis are really much cooler than the Oilers unis were but.......
The NFL seems to want to have a franchise in LA but to be honest, LA has had two different pro football teams, 3 if you count the short stint the Raiders were in LA. The first was an original AFL franchise called the Chargers that ended up in San Diego because the fans in LA weren't interested. The 2nd was the Rams who came to LA, ironically enough, from Cleveland before the Browns were formed under football pioneer Paul Brown, in 1946. Despite the fact the Rams stayed in LA, then Anaheim for 48 years they franchise wasn't all that popular in the LA area. Often their games were blacked out in the area because the team couldn't sell out the game. Even the move to Anaheim could change their fortunes. St Louis lost the Cardinals because the city would pony up and build a stadium so the moved to Arizona. Not too many years after the Rams got a stadium and moved to the Gateway To The West. Oakland supports both the 49ers and Raiders. Both are appreciated a lot more than they would be in LA. The Raiders have already found that out once.

LUSportsFan
08-01-2014, 09:46 AM
I know it's not comparing apples to apples, but attendance for the one year San Antonio had a CFL franchise, coincidentally named the "San Antonio Texans", was not that great...15,855.

San Antonio: http://stats.cfldb.ca/team/san-antonio-texans/attendance/1995/