PDA

View Full Version : New Poll Question Posted!! Go VOTE

Mike
03-26-2011, 01:11 PM
Which conference is the best fit for Lamar?

Southand
WAC
Sunbelt
None of the Above

Click HERE (http://www.bigredinsider.com) and look to the right side.

ScreamingDeane
03-26-2011, 05:06 PM
I don't see how anyone can vote for anything other than the WAC at this point. The Sunbelt may be a better fit but theres no guarantee that anything will open up there so the WAC is the better fit as it stands today. Theres no way anyone should vote for the Southland in my opinion.

jdcurran235
03-26-2011, 05:45 PM
I just look at the schools in the SBC and they are as a whole with less resources than LU. There are only about 3 schools I would say truly have more resources (USA, UNT, FIU). I believe in the end the WAC is a stronger conference and the one I want to be associated with.

ScreamingDeane
03-26-2011, 06:25 PM
Ha, as soon as I said it someone voted for the SLC. I'd bet it was a SHSU fan.

CardAmbassador
03-26-2011, 08:58 PM
Ha, as soon as I said it someone voted for the SLC. I'd bet it was a SHSU fan.

Haha, likely. They were ragging on TxSt so much for joining the WAC but as soon as Lamar's name popped up as a potential candidate many of them changed their tune.

I would say the WAC is the best conference but the best fit for Lamar would likely be the Sun Belt. We could compete easier their, but that is also a strike against it if you catch what I'm saying.

I have said this many times and I firmly believe it although it makes me a little jealous to say it. I think TxSt is going somewhere, with their enrollment and location and now being positioned in the WAC. That school is going to take off and we need to be associated with them so we can reap the benefits.

jdcurran235
03-26-2011, 09:31 PM
I completely agree. I think we can go to the same place as them though. We have a few things that they don't. We have a community that tends to give more support for our college and we have the engineering program. Those two things alone give us much of the same potential. We will get to the 20K student mark very easily but they will always have a major advantage on the athletic fee just due to having 32K students. But we can make up for it in other ways. I think these are probably some of the reasons the WAC is looking at us over SHSU. I do think that if we dont join the WAC with TxSt and UTSA we will be left in the dirt.

CardAmbassador
03-26-2011, 09:38 PM
I completely agree. I think we can go to the same place as them though. We have a few things that they don't. We have a community that tends to give more support for our college and we have the engineering program. Those two things alone give us much of the same potential. We will get to the 20K student mark very easily but they will always have a major advantage on the athletic fee just due to having 32K students. But we can make up for it in other ways. I think these are probably some of the reasons the WAC is looking at us over SHSU. I do think that if we dont join the WAC with TxSt and UTSA we will be left in the dirt.

yes in comparison to SHSU we have many things going for us, although they will debate all of them.

TxSt does have engineering, it was added in 2008 and last time I heard it wasn't accredited, nor did they really offer many degrees. No ChemE or MechE programs at all.

LU's advantage is that we have rich Alums, again because of engineering, and market size. We are in a decent MSA and we could eventually tap into Houston over time since there is a very large alumni base there.

jdcurran235
03-26-2011, 09:50 PM
And we dont have to compete with UT which I still think is a factor for them.