PDA

View Full Version : Is Jason Garrett on the hot seat?

Hey Guy
08-07-2014, 03:57 PM
Hey Guy, just wanted your thoughts on JG out of Arlington, Texas. Head Coach of the Arlington Cowboys? What will it take for him to keep his job this year? Is another 8-8 campaign good enough, guy? I'll hang up and listen.

eagle eye
08-07-2014, 05:25 PM
Much as everyone from national media and local Dallas media keep saying that Garrett is on the hot seat Jerry Jones himself said the W/L record will not be a deciding factor in Garrett's employment. Jerry has a lot invested in Garrett and the woes the Cowboys have encounted the past two years have not been Garrett's fault. An un-Godly amount of injuries to the defense the past two years have derailed any thought of playoffs. Or has it? Seems like the Cowboys played for the division in the last game of the season the past 3 years. The defense has let the team down and in 2012 Romo threw an ill-advised pass that got picked off by the Redskins to ice that victory. It may be Romo made the last mistake but the defense allowed a bunch of points leading up to that point. Last year the Cowboys had the 5th ranked offense in the NFL--that's on Garrett. The defense, by contrast, was 32nd and the 3rd worst in NFL HISTORY. That was on Monte Kiffin. Dallas has tried to revamp their defense but the good lord won't cut Dallas a lick of slack. Sean Lee, DeMarcus Lawrence, Mo Claiborne, etc, all on the defensive side of the ball keep getting hurt. Going into tonight's game Dallas has 3 cornerbacks total going into the game. Maybe, maybe a fourth. Their projected starting middle LB Rolando McClain is out, and at least 3 of the D-line will miss not counting Lawrence. Even an impromptu exorcism held by me didn't help. I think Jerry will look at the total picture and unless the team gives up on Garrett the way the team gave up on Wade Phillips mid way through the 2010 season, which I don't think will happen, sometime this summer or fall you'll see Garrett get an extension.

Hey Guy
08-11-2014, 09:07 AM
Hey Guy. You are telling me that the head coach of a team likely to go 6-10 this year is going to get an extension? Jerry Jones needs to be on the hot seat. Guy.

eagle eye
08-13-2014, 04:41 AM
No guy I'm not telling you Garrett is getting an extension if the Cowboys go 6-10 guy because I don't think they will be that bad. All things depends on the defense and so far in training camp Dallas has been hammered again. That's not Garrett's fault guy. What I am saying is that Jerra has a lot invested in Garrett and his offense has been top ten and the Jones family realize that the defense has been the Achilles heel to this team---for years. That's why there have been 5 defensive coordinators in the last six years. The Cowboys are trying fix things on defense but they can't catch a break injury-wise. What I said, guy, is that Jerry has a bigger perspective on the deal and more is taken into account that W's and L's. If Tom Landry was judged on his first 3 years as Cowboys coach he never would have lasted 29 years. Dallas was awful the first 3. This incarnation under Garrett hasn't been awful, they've been average. That's what 8-8 means guy. Not good, not bad just smack-dab in the middle and it's due to injuries on the defense for the most part.

Hey Guy
08-13-2014, 02:28 PM
My head is spinning from all of the excuses. Hey Guy, I'm no hater. Dallas is my 9th favorite team. It's just that I think The Cowboys of Arlington need a new head coach. A new owner or GM wouldn't hurt either, chief.

austinred
08-13-2014, 04:09 PM
My head is spinning from all of the excuses. Hey Guy, I'm no hater. Dallas is my 9th favorite team. It's just that I think The Cowboys of Arlington need a new head coach. A new owner or GM wouldn't hurt either, chief.

I am a lifelong Cowboys fan and it really doesn't matter who is coaching the team as long as Jerry Jones is micromanaging the team. So, I have a dim outlook for this season. However, with that being said, I did a little research into past Superbowl champions for the past 10 years to see if there is any glimmer of hope for the Cowboys. In the past 10 years, scoring offense and turnover margins seem to be the most important statistics. 8 of the last 10 Superbowl champs finished the regular season ranked in the top 10 in scoring offense. 8 of the last 10 Superbowl champs also finished the regular season ranked in the top 10 in turnover margin. 9 of the last 10 champions had a turnover margin of at least +8 or higher. Only 5 of the last 10 champions finished the regular season ranked in the top 10 for either total defense or points scored defense.

The Cowboys finished last year ranked 5th in scoring offense and 8th in turnover margin, with a turnover rate of +10. So, if they can improve their defense enough so that it is at least average, there may be hope.

eagle eye
08-14-2014, 05:19 AM

The REASONS I gave for why Jason Garrett is not on the hot seat is self explanatory. Offense hasn't been the problem. Defense has and as austinred so eloquently pointed out just a little help from the defense could turn things around. Dallas would go from 8-8 to 9-7 or even 10-6. The 9-7 mark has won the division for 3 seasons now. I honestly believe that Garrett and Romo are joined at the hip in that as long as Jerry feels the window is open for Romo Garrett will be the coach. Jerry went all-in on Romo last year in May by giving him a $100 mm + deal. Jerry can't cut him or trade him because the salary cap repercussions would be devastating to the Cowboys. The Cowboys made the move to get 100% behind Romo and as long as that's the status quo Garrett will be the coach. Romo is too old to go through a system change. Not only that but the offensive system ain't broke. Dallas should have won the Detroit and Green Bay games but the defense was just too banged up and Bill Callahan's play calling was STUPID. I'll admit Garrett should have called Callahan on the headset and told him to run the damn ball and he should have told Romo not to check out of running plays. That was terrible game management and that's on Garrett but the 80 yard drive Detroit put together in the last minute of the game was all on the defense. Dallas had the game won. Same with Green Bay. Just make a stop. The D couldn't do it. Win those two games and Dallas is 10-6 and wins the East outright. If not for one bad pass by Kyle Orton Dallas could've been in the playoffs. They wouldn't have gone anywhere because the defense was a dumpster fire but all this talk about Jason Garrett being on the hot seat would never have come up.

CS
08-14-2014, 08:34 AM
Dallas is not beating Philadelphia. Dallas isn't going to beat many at all with the schedule they have this year. Have you seen it? Predicting anything better than 7-9 is biased.