PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Help

Big T
09-01-2014, 09:34 AM
Ok guys, I am finally embarking upon my first Fantasy Football adventure and I need some advice. First of all, for my first draft I think I did fairly well in that I was was picking 11th out of 12 and seeing I really had no idea what to really look for. Now I am needing advice on who to start in week one.

QB Stafford/RGIII
RB- Forte/Ryan Mathews
WR- Crabtree, Fitz, Riley Cooper, or Jeremy Maclin
TE- Jordan Reed/ Charles Clay
K- Novac/ Sturges

eagle eye
09-01-2014, 10:10 AM
Ok guys, I am finally embarking upon my first Fantasy Football adventure and I need some advice. First of all, for my first draft I think I did fairly well in that I was was picking 11th out of 12 and seeing I really had no idea what to really look for. Now I am needing advice on who to start in week one.

QB Stafford/RGIII
RB- Forte/Ryan Mathews
WR- Crabtree, Fitz, Riley Cooper, or Jeremy Maclin
TE- Jordan Reed/ Charles Clay
K- Novac/ Sturges

Two things; first it looks like you did a nice job of drafting because the pickings get a bit slim in 12-team leagues but second, if this is your whole roster it's an interesting lineup you've got. I almost have to assume by this isn't your whole lineup it's just the players you have some doubt about.

It's hard to choose between running QBs and drop back passers. In his first year RGIII was a fantasy gold mine but last year, not so much. The fact that the Redskins are playing Houston gives you pause but for the most part I don't think we saw the real Houston in preseason. Not much Watt, or Clowney and no Cushing. The Texans are getting healthy just in time to begin the seasonn and they are at home which makes a differnce. I also noticed RGIII wasn't very good in preseason. Kirk Cousins was better than Griffin. I think that Washington's WRs are better overall than Houston which creates a lot of problems since the real weakness of the Texans D is their secondary. As for Stafford, you wonder how well the offense will do under a new head coach and new OC. But, that said, the weapons Detroit has, especially with the addition of Golden Tate, is pretty formidable. I like Stafford here mostly because the Giants D doesn't seem to be much better than last year when they weren't good at all. Detroit is at home and it's Monday Night Football. Yeah, Stafford.

As for RB's I'd go Forte because the matchup is so much better for him facing a Buffalo defense that will be on the field a lot. Chicago is at home and Buffalo isn't all that great whereas Williams and the offense will face a good defense in the Cardinals in Arizona.

For the WRs if you need two I'd choose Fitz and Maclin. Crabtree could be a big consideration here because Dallas' secondary is so suspect--hell their whole defense is suspect. One interesting thing though, even though Dallas was a big underdog in the last four games Dallas won including all those games including the one where Tony Romo played in the second half with cracked ribs and a punctured lung and won in overtime. The eagles liked Maclin enough to allow DeSean Jackson to go. Riley Cooper is another one I'm on the bubble about but since I drafted Maclin over Cooper--twice, I'd go Maclin.

The TE I'd play is Reed. He broke out last year and did well and he should be effective against Houston. Reed definitely has the better matchup on paper with Washington facing the porous Houston secondary and Clay and the Dolphins going up against the Patriots. The Dolphins are at home but it's not as good a matchup as Reed has against Houston.

Kicker - I'd go with Novak. The Chargers are a better offense than Miami and if the likelihood that Novak will get field goal opportunities is pretty good. Sturgis and the Dolphins are ok but I like Novak better here.

I'm going to hit Boomer up because I'll bet he will want to weigh in on this. Good luck, T!

Big T
09-01-2014, 10:22 AM
It is my whole lineup minus my defenses. The draft was 14 rounds.

Big T
09-01-2014, 10:24 AM
Who should I use at the Flex? Right now I have Mathews with Forte starting at RB. Should I maybe put Crabtree?

Boomer
09-01-2014, 12:16 PM
Big T how could you go it alone and not let us know, I thought we were boys...lol. We did a whole preseason draft cheat sheet section for BRI I hope you were able to check it out at least. I say every year before we can help you ,you have to help us. We need to know your whole roster ie back up RB's ect. The main thing we need to know it how your league tallies points. What is your scoring system PPR or Standard or some type of home cooking hybrid? Let us know and we will jump on it but right now Double E is on the right path with Crabtree and a sketchy Cowboys D as the matchup. Hope this helps and get back to us with the answers to our questions. I will respond fast I am off from elbow and hand surgery. That means fast replies from a heavily medicated expert lol. Remember the season opens Thursday so try to have your roster set by then. Big T welcome to the club you will be addicted after the first week I promise.

eagle eye
09-01-2014, 01:24 PM
Who should I use at the Flex? Right now I have Mathews with Forte starting at RB. Should I maybe put Crabtree?

If you can in the future the more consistant flex players tend to be running backs. So considering that the of the 12 players you listed only two are running backs you may want to consider giving up say a Riley Cooper for a RB. In a twelve team league player depth is tough but there seems to be a bigger pool of RBs to choose from. If you can pick up a Darren Sproles or a Danny Woodhead or a Lamar Miller all could be good flex type players. All that said I agree with Boomer that Crabtree is your best bet. WR's can be dicey as flex player because they have more of a tendency to up one week (8 catches for 130 yards) and down the next (2 for 21). Check your waiver wire guys like Knowshon Moreno could be overlooked and Bernard Pierce is a viable pick. Mark Ingram or Pierre Thomas and even Chris Johnson. Cincinnati got rid of BenJarvis Green-Ellis after drafting LSU's Jeremy Hill. If you don't want to give up position players you obviously have a second defense that could be expendable. If you're in a league with an open waiver wire it doesn't make sense to carry two defenses. A lot of people plug in the defense according to the best matchup that week. Like anyone playing Dallas last year probably cleaned up. Matching up against perennially bad teams isn't a bad way to go. With only 14 roster spots it doesn't allow much room to stash some depth so, if possible, use the waiver wire as liberally as your league allows.

Boomer
09-01-2014, 01:43 PM
Big T another issue you are going to have is bye weeks. You only listed two running backs and barring any injuries you will have one missing twice this year. Don't go to the waiver wire till we talk but that is something to think about.

Mike
09-01-2014, 01:57 PM
Big T how could you go it alone and not let us know, I thought we were boys...lol. We did a whole preseason draft cheat sheet section for BRI I hope you were able to check it out at least. I say every year before we can help you ,you have to help us. We need to know your whole roster ie back up RB's ect. The main thing we need to know it how your league tallies points. What is your scoring system PPR or Standard or some type of home cooking hybrid? Let us know and we will jump on it but right now Double E is on the right path with Crabtree and a sketchy Cowboys D as the matchup. Hope this helps and get back to us with the answers to our questions. I will respond fast I am off from elbow and hand surgery. That means fast replies from a heavily medicated expert lol. Remember the season opens Thursday so try to have your roster set by then. Big T welcome to the club you will be addicted after the first week I promise.

Would you like your original account back?

Boomer
09-01-2014, 02:41 PM
Would you like your original account back?

God yes please...lol

KABrother88
09-01-2014, 02:43 PM
Need to set up a BRI league next year...

Boomer
09-01-2014, 02:57 PM
That would be awesome. Let all the guys get together and meet that post all the time.

Boomer
09-02-2014, 06:43 PM
Game Changer.

The Denver Broncos will be without Wes Welker for the first four games of the 2014 regular season.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported that the NFL suspended the 33-year-old wide receiver after he tested positive for amphetamines:

Adam Schefter ✔ @AdamSchefter
Follow
Filed to ESPN: Broncos WR Wes Welker has been suspended four games for use of amphetamines, per sources.
5:53 PM - 2 Sep 2014
On the bright side , Welker has four more weeks to let his brain heal. What too soon :mellow:

Boomer
09-02-2014, 06:48 PM
ProFootballTalk ✔ @ProFootballTalk
Follow
Source: Welker took Molly at the Kentucky Derby. It had been cut with amphetamines. Same situation as Orlando Scandrick.
6:10 PM - 2 Sep 2014
3,893 RETWEETS 769 FAVORITES
And that's how the other half lives my friends! ;)

eagle eye
09-02-2014, 07:39 PM
ProFootballTalk ✔ @ProFootballTalk
Follow
Source: Welker took Molly at the Kentucky Derby. It had been cut with amphetamines. Same situation as Orlando Scandrick.
6:10 PM - 2 Sep 2014
3,893 RETWEETS 769 FAVORITES
And that's how the other half lives my friends! ;)

I'm concerned about the recent ecstasy use. I know it's been around awhile but what makes players think they won't get caught using? There are so many people who would kill for their jobs and they just crap all over themselves, for what, a buzz?

Boomer
09-03-2014, 08:30 PM
Ok so we all agree that Welker is a moron, so what now? I'm going to take a minute to throw out the customary disclaimer. We at Fantasy Nation do not pine over the big names once the season starts because it does you no good. We try to give you looks at guys that are fast risers or big return sleepers. These are the guys that are left so it makes the most sense.

The big question is with Wes Welker being suspended until Week 6 of the regular season. That leaves two guys to potentially fill the spot Cody Latimer and Andre Caldwell.

For leagues that can make free-agent pickups in Week 1, my suggestion for those who can only go for one of the two, I'd take a chance on Latimer. Although many of the TV experts are suggesting Caldwell, his track record indicates he hasn't come through very often with previous chances.

Even with Denver last season, the 29-year-old caught six passes for 59 yards and two touchdowns in Week 15 with Welker out. However, he didn't really do anything the rest of the season or playoffs, catching seven passes for 80 yards and no scores in the next four games combined.

Latimer, a second-round draft pick from Indiana, has the size and speed to be successful. And with explosive an offense as the Broncos have and Latimer's big-play potential, it's easy to see him earning plenty of chances, especially early on.

Already, the rookie is widely available in most leagues, having gone from 1.9 percent owned to 4.8 in ESPN leagues over the past week. Caldwell is 0.9 percent owned. So you can see there are others who are jumping on the potential of Latimer early.

Big T
09-03-2014, 08:38 PM
I am thrilled I did not draft Welker! Haha I'm not lying when I say I was going to draft him and the guy directly ahead of me in the draft took him. At the time I was a little upset. Got Riley Cooper instead.

KABrother88
09-03-2014, 08:59 PM
Hell I've got Welker and Justin Blackmon on contracts in a keeper league...I proposed a suspended roster spot to avoid them taking up space on my bench...amazingly I'm the only one who thought it was a good idea...

Boomer
09-03-2014, 09:09 PM
Hey Big T We need to revisit your flex player. Breaking SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- The San Francisco 49ers released their first injury report of the 2014 season on Wednesday and receiver Michael Crabtree, who missed more than two weeks of training camp with a hamstring issue, was the big name on it with a calf injury.

So this leaves us with three choices without going shopping, Maclin , Cooper or Clay.

Maclin took a one year deal to try and prove he was healed and worth a long term one. His first step on that path is beating up on a Jacksonville secondary that allowed the 13th-most points to opposing wideouts last season.

Cooper proved to be a valuable deep threat for Nick Foles last season on his way to earning a new long-term deal. However, a quick visit of the game stats show he is a boom-or-bust vertical threat that comes with some significance risk of several no show weeks. the Jags will not be one of those weeks.

Clay had some big games last year, but none of those occurred versus the Patriots, who held Clay to 43 total receiving yards in two contests. However, Clay always has a chance to lead the Dolphins in targets, catches or yards, and he remains a low-end TE1 in most fantasy formats. The Pats by far is the better defense your three players are going to face and the are proven to own TE's.

That all being said we have to take always.
1. Crabtree has an injury must be monitored. He missed most of last season with an Achilles injury. I can't find anywhere if it is the same ankle or not.

2. I think Riley Cooper has the chance to put up the most points with one caveat. He comes with a boom or bust warning as stated above. Cooper had three 100 yard games last year and 8 td's.

The Jags gave up 232 yds. Passing and 114 yds. Rushing so this is the defense you want the matchup with. This is where we have a crossroads because I know deep down Double E will say go with Maclin. So let's see him support it with some stats.

eagle eye
09-04-2014, 06:17 PM
Charles Clay is okay for a flex player but by and large tight ends aren't consistent big points getters. That is, of course, your name is Graham or Gronkowski. To me if you need to start two WRs then Maclin and Fitz are your guys. Then use Cooper as your flex. Whether it's a WR2 or a flex it doesn't matter much. They are both in the game and both will score and these two IMO are the best chance to score well--This week. Future weeks may be a totally different story.

Boomer
09-04-2014, 09:03 PM
Hell I've got Welker and Justin Blackmon on contracts in a keeper league...I proposed a suspended roster spot to avoid them taking up space on my bench...amazingly I'm the only one who thought it was a good idea...

I feel your pain I have Josh Gordon , Ray Rice and Prater. When I said something it took ten minutes to get them to stop laughing. So yea I feel ya makes roster juggling a nightmare.

Boomer
09-04-2014, 09:07 PM
I am a little surprised with the play of Lynch and Lacy for very different reasons. Green bay's line is horrible and thin. The NFC North is going to be like the Wild West.

Boomer
09-05-2014, 03:45 AM
More news to watch XTRA 910 Arizona's Mike Jurecki reports Andre Ellington underwent an MRI on his left foot Thursday.
Per Jurecki, Ellington had been "dealing with some discomfort" over the past week, and aggravated the injury in Thursday's practice. The situation has the makings of a Week 1 nightmare, but there's no point in panicking until the Cardinals reveal Ellington's MRI results. His status will be updated on Friday. Jonathan Dwyer is the next man up at running back for Arizona. Even if Ellington is ultimately cleared for Monday's opener, the situation is a reminder of his fragility.
Source: Mike Jurecki on Twitter Sep 5 - 1:02 AM

And ThenEddie Lacy was forced from the Packers' Week 1 game against the Seahawks with a concussion.
Lacy departed midway through the fourth quarter. He flattened Seahawks SS Kam Chancellor on a collision, but checked out after his next carry. Lacy was having a mixed night before going down, rushing just 12 times for 34 yards, but also showing impressive power and nimbleness. He caught three passes for 11 yards, and was doling out punishment. He got vultured by FB John Kuhn for a two-yard score in the first quarter. The concussion is extra concerning because it's Lacy's second in as many NFL seasons. The good news is, he has 10 days to get cleared for Week 2. If Lacy can suit up, the matchup won't be any easier in the Jets' run-erasing defense. James Starks is the next man up at running back.

Don't Be Fooled James Starks rushed seven times for 37 yards in Green Bay's Week 1 loss to the Seahawks, adding two catches for 11 yards.
Starks actually rushed for three more yards than Eddie Lacy on five fewer carries, though the majority of his damage came with the game no longer in doubt. That being said, Starks looked slippery, shedding a few tackles. With Lacy battling a concussion, Starks is a name to keep an eye on for Week 2. He'd be a plug-and-play RB2 if Lacy can't suit up.

Boomer
09-05-2014, 07:03 AM
Here's something worth following and stashing a player if you have the spot.

Appearing on NBC's NFL Kickoff 2014, Profootballtalk's Mike Florio reported Josh Gordon and Wes Welker's suspensions could be reduced or "go away completely" if the NFL and NFLPA agree on a new drug policy.
According to NFL.com's Albert Breer, Sunday is a "soft deadline" for an agreement. The Washington Post has since confirmed PFT's report. The sides have been trying to hammer out a pact that would allow testing for HGH. As a concession, the league would then raise the threshold for positive marijuana tests, and move amphetamines from the PED policy to substance-abuse policy. First-team substance abuse violations do not mandate a suspension. The situation is still very much up in the air, but it appears Gordon is worth stashing.
Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com Sep 4 - 7:51 PM

So there is hope for the guys that are hurting. We'll except you Double E he just got snatched up in all your leagues. You will have to live with Scandrick coming back early.

eagle eye
09-05-2014, 10:20 AM
Here's something worth following and stashing a player if you have the spot.

Appearing on NBC's NFL Kickoff 2014, Profootballtalk's Mike Florio reported Josh Gordon and Wes Welker's suspensions could be reduced or "go away completely" if the NFL and NFLPA agree on a new drug policy.
According to NFL.com's Albert Breer, Sunday is a "soft deadline" for an agreement. The Washington Post has since confirmed PFT's report. The sides have been trying to hammer out a pact that would allow testing for HGH. As a concession, the league would then raise the threshold for positive marijuana tests, and move amphetamines from the PED policy to substance-abuse policy. First-team substance abuse violations do not mandate a suspension. The situation is still very much up in the air, but it appears Gordon is worth stashing.
Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com Sep 4 - 7:51 PM

So there is hope for the guys that are hurting. We'll except you Double E he just got snatched up in all your leagues. You will have to live with Scandrick coming back early.

Just got snatched up in all my leagues by you probably! LOL.

Boomer
09-05-2014, 10:30 AM
Ok Ellington owners UPDATEXTRA 910 Arizona's Mike Jurecki reports Andre Ellington aggravated his left foot in practice Thursday, and "could be out an extended period of time."
Ellington had to leave practice early and underwent an MRI. The results of the test aren't yet known, but this report suggests the Cardinals didn't like what they saw. Ellington had foot problems at Clemson. He tore a ligament in his toe as a sophomore before fracturing his sesamoid bone and undergoing ankle surgery as a junior. If Ellington were to miss significant time, it'd obviously be a huge blow. Owners need to go pick up Jonathan Dwyer immediately. He's an underwhelming plodder, but would likely be Arizona's lead back.
Related: Jonathan Dwyer
Source: Mike Jurecki on Twitter Sep 5 - 11:11 AM
so this is definitely worth watching as Sunday gets closer.

MORE NEWS COMING IN

XTRA 910 Phoenix's Mike Jurecki suggests Andre Ellington's foot injury could cost him "4-6 weeks or longer."
Per Jurecki, "a lot will depend on how quickly he heals," which obviously isn't predictable. Fantasy owners should definitely keep their early-round draft pick rostered, but Ellington may not be usable for the first month of the season or more. Expect Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd, and to a lesser extent rookie third receiver John Brown to open the season as Arizona's featured weapons. Jonathan Dwyer is expected to start at tailback, and Stepfan Taylor will mix in.
Source: Mike Jurecki on Twitter Sep 5 - 1:39 PM

eagle eye
09-05-2014, 12:58 PM
A little closer to home, the Texans have said that TE Garrett Graham is a possible scratch this Sunday to a lingering back issue. He did not practice Wednesday or Thursday. Bill O'Brien said that it may come down to how he does in the morning workout Sunday before the game vs the Redskins.

eagle eye
09-05-2014, 01:26 PM
Carolina head coach Ron Rivera has announced that Cam Newton will be a game time decision in this Sunday's game vs Tampa Bay. Newton has been trying to get over some sore ribs suffered this preseason. By all accounts it kind of looks like he may play but game time decisions are just that and I'm sure the Panther have no intension of helping the Bucs any more than the rules say they have to.

The Patiots missed the first practice of the preseason yesterday due to a calf injury but he was back at practice Friday assuring reporters he will be ready to go Sunday vs Miami.

Boomer
09-05-2014, 01:27 PM
JORDAN REED OWNERS DON'T PANIC yet Jordan Reed (thumb) practiced fully again Friday, but is listed as questionable on the injury report.
The same goes for OLB Brian Orakpo (questionable, ankle). Despite the "Q" tags, both Reed and Orakpo are expected to play Sunday against Houston.
Sep 5 - 2:45 PM

REED is known to be fragile and in our preseason rankings I mentioned as much. He carries a buyer beware.

eagle eye
09-07-2014, 07:17 PM
So, Big T. How'd you do this week so far?

Big T
09-08-2014, 02:51 PM
I'm still waiting on the two games tonight as I have Stafford, Fitz, Mathews, and Novak. So far I've done pretty well with 51 points but the team I am against this weekend has MAtt Ryan, Julius Thomas and AJ Green. Yeah, I need to make up around 59 points tonight and that's prolly not going to happen. Just an unlucky week. I ended up starting Maclin over Crabtree at the the last moment and it was the best move I made. Anyways, I think I have done fairly well.