PDA

View Full Version : NFL Fantasy Help -- Week 10

eagle eye
11-04-2014, 09:57 AM
Week 9 was bizarro. Record setting performance by Ben Roethlesberger and a heart breaking performance by Brandon Weeden and what the hell happened to Phillip Rivers in South Beach? I suppose that's why fantasy is such a maddening game. Big Ben's 300+, 6 TD performance darn near beat me in one of my leagues but fortunately I held on to capture a win. I am not sure if I would rather the Cowboys win and I lose my fantasy games but that seems to have been the way it's gone so far for me. Cowboys win, I lose. Cowboys lose, I win.

One guy you may want to pick up if you, or somebody else, haven't already done so Marc Sanchez with the Eagles is a definite pickup. Sanchez is a lot better than his rep would suggest. Too many judge him on the debacle that is the NY Jets and the infamous "butt fumble" play. When Sanchez had talent around him in New York he led the Jets to 2 consecutive AFC title games. He came in and led the Eagles to a win over the Texans last Sunday in relief of Nick Foles who broke his collar bone and will miss several weeks.

Another obvious choice is Cincinnati's Jeremy Hill. In for the injured Giovani Bernard he blew up to the tune of 154 yards rushing with 2 TDs. He will get at least one more start this week when the Bengals face Cleveland on Thursday night. Hill may find the going a little tougher in the Dog Pound but on a week with 6 teams on a bye you take what you can get.

By the same token, Terrence West seems to have lapped Ben Tate for most carries. It won't mean that the running back-by-committee that Cleveland uses is abandoned. Eau contraire mon frere. But it probably means West will get more looks.

If you need a flex player you could go with St Louis' Tre Mason who have 44 carries over the past 3 weeks or you could go with Bennie Cunningham who has been used as a third down back. Mason has the most upside because he gets more touches. One of these weeks the Rams won't be playing a top 10 rushing defense. Unfortunately, the Rams travel to face the red hot Arizona Cardinals.

The Vikings are a conundrum. They seem to use Jerick McKinnon and Matt Asiata according to who's hot or maybe last week they defined the roles. Those roles being RB by-committee. McKinnon got 17 touches, 14 runs and 3 receptions while Asiata got 14 touches, 10 runs and 4 receptions. The difference, at least this week, was that Asiata got 3 rushing TDs to none for McKinnon. Will Asiata be the goal line back? Man, it's a coin flip at this point but Asiata seems to be the preferred red zone back and the preferred guy out of the backfield. Both are worth a flex play but Asiata has been a feast or famine fantasy player. Last week it was definitely a feast.

Need a QB during a bye week. Maybe Teddy Bridgewater could be that guy. This past week against the Redskins he threw for 268 yards and TD and rushed 3 times for 20 yards. Under Norv Turner he seems to be getting better every week.

Coming off a bye week the Buffalo Bills will face off against the Chiefs. Since he took over as the starting QB Kyle Orton has been what I predicted he'd be. That's fantasy football owners gold. Not only that but having a decent QB has made Sammy Watkins bloom as a real life player and fantasy option. Even though the Chiefs are tough Buffalo can handle them. The Bills have a good team and just needed a QB to lead them and Orton is that guy. The Bills are going to win and Orton and Watkins are going to be big as well. One other guy to consider is RB Anthony "Boobie" Dixon. In the Bills last game he got 22 carries for 44 yards against a tough Jets run defense which even a mathematical imbecile like me can figure out that's 2 YPC. Dixon and Bryce Brown will be the running game for Buffalo for the foreseeable future as CJ Spiller and Freddie Jackson are out with injuries.

Big T
11-04-2014, 10:39 AM
Last week I was able to beat the last of the undefeated teams in my league! Lol I am now 4-5 and seeing that I started 1-4 and 2-5 I think I am doing quite well right now.

eagle eye
11-04-2014, 12:06 PM
Way to go Big T! There's plenty of time left to do some damage before the playoffs begin!

eagle eye
11-05-2014, 10:36 AM
I was wondering how many of y'all said, "Yeah right, Kyle Orton is a fantasy option. Double E is freaking nuts.". A lot of people don't believe Orton is a good QB but I'm telling you in Josh McDaniels first year in Denver Orton was his guy after he shipped Jay Cutler to Chicago and I won a fantasy league championship with Orton at QB. That is a fact. I said that when Orton took over in Buffalo he would be an option for a bye week. However, he's proved to be more than than. In the four weeks he's started here is his fantasy numbers.

Week 5 in the win over Detroit - 21.5 Pts - 30 completions, 308 yds passing, 1 TD, 1 Int
Week 6 in the loss to New England - 28 Pts - 24 completions for 299 yds, 2 TDs, 1 Int
Week 7 in the win over Minnesota - 26.5 Pts - 31 completions for 283 yds, 2 TDs, 1 Int
Week 8 in the win over NY Jets - 36 Pts - 10 completions for 238 yds, 4 TDs, 0 Int

That's pretty healthy fantasy points. Orton faced top defenses in Detroit, New England and the Jets so he hasn't been taking advantage of chumps. I guess I'm saying in a not-so-subtle way I think Orton can help you bye week or not.

eagle eye
11-06-2014, 01:47 PM
Thursday Night Football is on the horizon. It's tonight as a matter of fact. I say this because this week has been hectic as a Houston rush hour and I was shocked it was already Thursday. We have a pretty good football game on tonight though. Do What?! Bengals-Browns? Yep. Especially for fantasy owners. Think about how many players are in play tonight.
Browns have:
QB Brian Hoyer
RB Terrence West
RB Ben Tate
WR Andrew Hawkins
TE Cameron Jordan
Browns Def/ST
K Billy Cundiff
All these guys are viable fantasy options especially in a six team bye week which this is.

Bengals have:
QB Andy Dalton
RB Jeremy Hill
WR AJ Green (Who should be better this week after he played his first game in a month last week)
WR Mohammed Sanu
TE Jermaine Gresham
Cincinnati Def/ST
K Mike Nugent

See what I mean? It isn't a marquee with a bushel basket of #1's like the New England-Denver game last Sunday night but this will do. Ciincy is 5-2-1 with a half game lead over Pittsburgh (6-3) who has a half game lead over Cleveland (5-3) who has a half game lead over Baltimore. See what I mean? This game has a lot at stake and who would have thought that the AFC North would be the most competitive division in the NFL. It is the only division that has a mere 1-1/2 game between the first and last place teams and every one above .500. So yeah, it's a good game with a lot of meaning. It's division game so there's that extra motivation. The game is in Cincy where Cleveland has lost the last 5 times they played there. A little extra motivation.

eagle eye
11-07-2014, 02:34 PM
That stuff about being a good game and all those Cincinatti players being fantasy options last night? Sorry about that. But, in my defense how was I supposed to know that Andy Dalton would suck worse than Brandon Weeden? W-T-F!!!! Explain to me how a guy in his own home field with such an emotional night considering the huge donation made on behalf the little girl of the Bengals player who has cancer for cancer research can be that bad. Dalton sucked. I believe I heard his passer rating was 4.5. 4. freaking 5. I myself had Mohammed Sanu. Now, he was targeted at least a dozen times but he only ended up with 2 catches for 20 something yards. If it wasn't a PPR league I wouldn't have gotten that. Dalton was 10-33 for 83 yards. I apologize to Brandon Weeden because Andy Dalton made him look like Peyton Manning and that's saying something. Again, I'm sorry but if it helps, I got burned too.

eagle eye
11-08-2014, 07:00 AM
Rookie Bengals RB Jeremy Hill was quoted as saying the Browns "aren't that good" and "they aren't as good as I thought" after the Bengals had their asses handed to them at home on Thursday night. Now, a lot of the reason for the blowout was the piss poor play of Andy Dalton but the Browns are a pretty good anyway. On a very windy night in Cincinnati Browns QB Brian Hoyer handled the wind much better than Dalton to say the very least. I don't know how smart it is to dis an opponent that just beat you by 21 points on a lot of different levels. It will be interesting to see the game on Dec 14th in Cleveland. I'm sure the Dog Pound will give Mr Hill an appropriate reception.

Former Bengals QB and current Arizona Cardinals QB Carson Palmer got a 3 year extension to his contract. It pretty much assures Palmer will retire a Cardinal. If you remember, Palmer threatened to retire rather than play for the Bengals a few years back. He went to the Raiders after Cincy and came to the Cardinals last season. The Cards had had a world of trouble replacing Kurt Warner after he retired and it didn't look like Carson Palmer was the answer either the way he seemed to stay injured. Even this season he missed several games with a nerve issue in his right shoulder but when you're 7-1, have the best record in the NFL and just whipped the Cowboys at their place you get perks. Carson's perk is a 3-year $50mm, $20mm guaranteed, contract extension.

As for the injury front, Bills WR Sammy Watkins is listed as questionable for tomorrow due to a groin injury he aggrivated in practice on Wednesday. He missed both the Thursday and Friday practices which puts his availability in doubt. Freddie Jackson, who has missed several games with a groin injury (are groins the new hamstrings for 2014?) has practiced on a limited basis this week. He may play but if he doesn't the job falls on the shoulders of Anthony "Boobie" Dixon.
Mark Ingram is listed as questionable with a shoulder injury but he claims he will be on the field against the 49ers. The other RBs like Pierre Thomas and Khiry Robinson are both out so if Ingram can't go then Travaris Cadet should be a last minute pickup for fantasy owners.
Bears TE Martellus Bennett is questionable this week.
Giants RB Rashad Jennings is considered doubtful meaning Andre Williams should get another start.
Dolphins RB Lamar Miller is listed as questionable for Sunday with a sprained AC joint in his shoulder. If he's unable to go Daniel Thomas should get the start which makes him a worthwhile fantasy waiver wire target.
The Steelers will be hoping Big Ben continues his hot streak this week because the defense will be without Troy Polamalu and Ryan Shazier.

I thought that this article from NFL.com was kind of funny so I figured why not share! It's cheers and jeers article with a surprise or two.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000424352/article/cheers-to-the-sanchize-jeers-to-jeremy-hill-villainy