PDA

View Full Version : Lamar to annouce conference switch to the WAC at 4:00 P.M.....

CardAmbassador
04-01-2011, 05:33 PM
APRIL FOOLS!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Jack
04-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Is this an April Fool's joke too?

http://www.utsatailgaters.com/other/articles/exclusive-qa-wlamars-ad

Mike
04-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Been saying this all along. If Lamar has had contact with the WAC or vice versa they've kept it secret like champions.

NorthoftheBorder
04-01-2011, 07:49 PM
I posted something about this on the other board! If this isn't a "public relations" propaganda spill, then I am dissapointed with Tidwell as a AD. Love him as women's coach. Hope this is not the official position or I am very dissappointed!

Mike
04-01-2011, 07:55 PM
I do believe him, but I also believe him when he says:

"We'll see down the road where things may lead, but at this time, I'm just trying to make Lamar the best program in the Southland Conference at this time."

"Down the road" and "at this time" could be as short as a month or two from now, who knows? This is typical to what you'd expect him to say either way in an interview setting like that but every time we dig on this subject we hear statements just like this from our sources.

NorthoftheBorder
04-01-2011, 08:12 PM
I do believe him, but I also believe him when he says:

"We'll see down the road where things may lead, but at this time, I'm just trying to make Lamar the best program in the Southland Conference at this time."

"Down the road" and "at this time" could be as short as a month or two from now, who knows? This is typical to what you'd expect him to say either way in an interview setting like that but every time we dig on this subject we hear statements just like this from our sources.

Well a brash and young Billy Tubbs would have said "we are good enough to be in the Big 12, but we may have to settle for being in the WAC for now"!!!:laugh:

"Your only limitation is your imagination"!!!!!

coachacola
04-01-2011, 08:26 PM
This is basically what Tidwell said around Christmas time so this is nothing new. He says the he hasn't any contact with the WAC, he doesn't say anything about anyone else associated with Lamar. Since Dr. Simmons would make this decision then I bet Tubbs or someone else has probably talked to the WAC. Tidwell doesn't want to burn any bridges with the SLC if this doesn't happen.

LU4LIFE
04-01-2011, 09:43 PM
I agree with coach you just wont hear to much from Tidwell until he knows for sure we are making a switch.

CardAmbassador
04-02-2011, 04:36 AM
I won't trust anyone that says anything about the WAC in an interview unless it's Benson him self. If Tidwell confirms we have talked with the WAC and then nothing happens it hurts the WAC and Lamar's image.

I have no clue what the future is for us at this time but these interviews are pointless because your not going to get the whole truth out of anyone that actually knows anything.

Roadrunner
04-03-2011, 06:50 PM
Big mistake if Lamar doesn't join the WAC right now. Its not easy to get an FBS invite that's the reason UTSA and Texas St. jumped on the WAC band wagon. Four or five years from now it will be almost impossible to join the WAC or any other FBS conference. Looks to me that by 2013 the WAC will have 8 or 9 football members more like 8 though.

LU4LIFE
04-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Big mistake if Lamar doesn't join the WAC right now. Its not easy to get an FBS invite that's the reason UTSA and Texas St. jumped on the WAC band wagon. Four or five years from now it will be almost impossible to join the WAC or any other FBS conference. Looks to me that by 2013 the WAC will have 8 or 9 football members more like 8 though.

I agree with you if Lamar does get a invite and turns it down IMO they will be in the SLC for along time unless some more realignment happens and something else opens up but I wouldn't base my decision on hopes and dreams.

CardAmbassador
04-03-2011, 09:14 PM

I respect your opinion and I badly want LU to go to the WAC.

However if we decline a WAC invite it will be because our administrators know it would be too much of a burden on are school. What every Jimmy Simmons decides is right is the best decision IMO. He knows more than all of us about what a move will take, and he makes every decision with the best interest of the overall school in mind.

coachacola
04-04-2011, 01:20 AM
I was comparing Lamar's current athletic budget ($11.5 million) to those in the Sun Belt and the WAC and with the increased income of being in a FBS conference, Lamar should be able to maintain a $15 million budget. That would put them on the lower end but not that low where they couldn't compete. Hopefully I'm not too far off on that because if Lamar thinks they won't have the money to compete in the WAC then I bet Lamar will stay in the SLC for a while.

CardAmbassador
04-04-2011, 01:56 AM
I was comparing Lamar's current athletic budget ($11.5 million) to those in the Sun Belt and the WAC and with the increased income of being in a FBS conference, Lamar should be able to maintain a $15 million budget. That would put them on the lower end but not that low where they couldn't compete. Hopefully I'm not too far off on that because if Lamar thinks they won't have the money to compete in the WAC then I bet Lamar will stay in the SLC for a while.

Doesn't ULM operate on $8 million?

coachacola
04-04-2011, 02:26 AM
ULM may be up to $10 million but that's still less than Lamar's budget, and they have to play 2 or 3 money games a year to bring in a few extra million. That's why I think with Lamar in the WAC they'll pull in an extra million or two from guarantees, maybe another million from the conference, more money from ticket sales, and if they increase the athletic fee that could be another million or more.

coachacola
04-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Someone on the Sun Belt message board is saying the big rumor in Houston this past weekend is that both Lamar and SHSU will be invited to the WAC within a few days. The person also says one hurdle is that Lamar has been open about their desire to join the Sun Belt.

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=492178