PDA

View Full Version : Root Sports Is Here!

eagle eye
11-22-2014, 08:25 PM
I thought I heard something a little while back but after the LU game I saw the Rockets-Mavericks game was going to be televised on the NBA Channel. I clicked on it and the message about the game being blacked out came on my screen. Figures, right? The Directv searched for an alternate channel and lo and behold it landed on Root Sports channel 674. The official label is Root Sports Southwest HD. Unless I am totally mistaken this means we have a channel to watch the Astros now as well. It's about damn time and I'm glad it's here.

As for the Rockets and Mavs, Houston had an 18 point lead in the 3rd but they've gone completely cold. I think I'm in a time warp here because the Mavs have JJ Berea and well, it's not Tyson Chandler but Chandler Parsons is pretty close! Down 5 with 2:41 left in the game Houston needs to find another gear.

LUSportsFan
11-23-2014, 07:14 AM
I thought I heard something a little while back but after the LU game I saw the Rockets-Mavericks game was going to be televised on the NBA Channel. I clicked on it and the message about the game being blacked out came on my screen. Figures, right? The Directv searched for an alternate channel and lo and behold it landed on Root Sports channel 674. The official label is Root Sports Southwest HD. Unless I am totally mistaken this means we have a channel to watch the Astros now as well. It's about damn time and I'm glad it's here.

As for the Rockets and Mavs, Houston had an 18 point lead in the 3rd but they've gone completely cold. I think I'm in a time warp here because the Mavs have JJ Berea and well, it's not Tyson Chandler but Chandler Parsons is pretty close! Down 5 with 2:41 left in the game Houston needs to find another gear.

I may be mistaken, but I think they took over the ComcastSportsNet Houston channel. That's a good thing for me because AT&T UVerse didn't carry that channel under Comcast...almost every other one, just not the Houston one.

Got curious so I confirmed it. Here's an article about the change.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2014/11/17/root-sports-launches-replacing-csn-houston.html

eagle eye
11-23-2014, 10:27 AM
Thanks LUSportsFan! It is great to know that we have local coverage of our NBA and MLB teams. I think that the Rockets and Astros losing revenue because they lost their interest in the broadcasts because of the bankruptcy of ComCastSports locally. This is sort of big hit in the Astros and Rockets pocket book as a lot of team get revenue, a lot of revenue, from such ventures. But, if you're asking me if I'm willing to sacrifice watching and Astros and even the Rockets when I want to for what we've had before-----don't hold your breath.

eagle eye
11-23-2014, 05:48 PM
Just an addendum to the Rockets game, it didn't look like it but they pulled out a win in the waning seconds of the game. The cool thing other than the win was we got to see it if we wanted too.