PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting needs

cardinal
12-20-2014, 06:23 PM
Ok, a buddy of mine who went to LU and now lives in Austin asked me "how is our recruiting going, when will we bee good enough to get into the playoffs?" This is a loaded question but it made me stop and think. What do we need to take that next step? I can't put my finger on it. I don't recall watching any game, other than tamu, and thinking "damn, we are outmanned". So, what is it? What do we need? I am very concerned about qb. Replacing Berry shouldn't be easy? But, we are missin other things? I'm thinking maybe the secondary? And special teams were awful, so maybe that is depth? And we are losing some key people? Have we recruited anyone to replace them? Do we have younger players ready to step in? Like on the offensive line? And defensive line? And linebacker, assuming we are losing Beard?

KABrother88
12-21-2014, 02:54 PM
Depth, depth and more depth. OL and DL especially. Last I heard Beard was optimistic he'd get a 6th year so that would be huge. Would give us 4 starting SR LBs and I like the 3 guys we signed last year. Could be a strong unit next year depending on how the DL turns out. Lost both starting DEs to an already thin DL unit IMO...but should be pretty solid at the DT position adding Seth Adams to the rotation. Just added a JUCO QB and an SFA QB transfer. Think we'll be aright there...maybe not to the level of Berry but still ok. I'll try to put together a breakdown of what we lost vs return for 2015 soon...and tell your friend to sign up here...

NorthoftheBorder
12-21-2014, 03:36 PM
There is a kid on the Cedar Park state finalist team, last name of Hutchings, who is 5'10" 205 who went both ways most all the game at RB and LB, has breakaway speed and played really well. The announcer said he had not offers. Put your friend on to recruiting him to LU. Has to be a place for him here!!

KABrother88
12-21-2014, 04:11 PM
Saw Ray was there...hopefully not just enjoying the games

cardambassador
12-21-2014, 09:03 PM
Have we ever really fielded a competent Special Teams unit. That has always been a weakness. I didn't see any games this year so I can't speak to what it was like this year.

Good football teams need to be somewhat talented in this area. You can't live off of short kicks and punts, field position is too important.

KABrother88
12-21-2014, 09:27 PM
Have we ever really fielded a competent Special Teams unit. That has always been a weakness. I didn't see any games this year so I can't speak to what it was like this year.

Good football teams need to be somewhat talented in this area. You can't live off of short kicks and punts, field position is too important.

Short answer...NO. That's part of the depth I said we still need. By depth I don't mean warm bodies on the sideline to come in in an emergency...I mean guy who can come in and there be as little drop off as possible. Once depth is improved I believe our coverage and return teams will drastically improve. In the mean time it would be nice to have a kicker who could provide a few touchbacks on KOs...

cardinal
12-22-2014, 01:26 PM
Short answer...NO. That's part of the depth I said we still need. By depth I don't mean warm bodies on the sideline to come in in an emergency...I mean guy who can come in and there be as little drop off as possible. Once depth is improved I believe our coverage and return teams will drastically improve. In the mean time it would be nice to have a kicker who could provide a few touchbacks on KOs...

Special teams was a huge weakness and my thinking was it tied back to depth. Our defense was pretty weak but I kind of liked our d-line and linebackers and one or two of our secondary guys. So, I don't know what the issue is there. Maybe speed? Or maybe the guys I like aren't really as good as I think. And I know we are losing some d linemen and o linemen.

coachacola
12-22-2014, 02:17 PM
LU is losing their two starting defensive ends, Okafor and Curran, who had 28 and 27 tackles, respectively. They were not in the top 10. Their backups, Carr and Couron (both sophomores) had 35 and 19 tackles, respectively. Probably need more depth at this position.

If Beard comes back next year (third on team with 81 tackles), then they only lose Hunter on defense (35 tackles).

Pretty obvious that losing Berry at QB and playmaker Roberts at WR will be hard to replace. I would not be surprised to see Minden starting at QB next year. Lots of receivers returning but a playmaker would be nice. Won't hurt to get another running back. Also losing TE McVey.

OL is losing LT Shead and C McCormack. Should be ok at this position but more depth is always needed.

Special teams....the problem child every year. Coaching, depth?