PDA

View Full Version : Big Man Anthony Oden transfers to Lamar

sleepy
08-02-2011, 11:38 AM
The odds are getting better by the moment. May be on campus visiting in the coming days and he may not leave. I would peg the percent chance at 80% right now. I was also told that getting this guy will TOTALLY change the spectrum of things. They are REALLY excited at the thought of having this kid!!!!

LINK: Anthony Oden (http://bigredinsider.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=367&catid=1)

Fox4 Link: Oden has signed with Lamar (http://setxhomepage.com/fulltext?nxd_id=145517)

lcm2007ms
08-02-2011, 11:45 AM
The odds are getting better by the moment. May be on campus visiting in the coming days and he may not leave. I would peg the percent chance at 80% right now. I was also told that getting this guy will TOTALLY change the spectrum of things. They are REALLY excited at the thought of having this kid!!!!

This is very good news! Thanks for posting.

coachacola
08-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the update sleepy. Would he be eligible to play this fall?

Cplatt
08-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Very good news but can he help us this fall?

sleepy
08-02-2011, 11:51 AM
yes and yes. He would have HUGE impact this fall.

Cplatt
08-02-2011, 12:07 PM
Then i am holding you personally responsible for not letting him leave without put his name on a scholarship haha still good deal position?

bigred360
08-02-2011, 01:24 PM
Can you imagine him at one OT position and Campbell at the other? I'd say we may have the best O-line at the FCS level. Gillam at Center and the transfer from Missouri, Davis at one guard and about 10 players battling for the other OG position.

Yeah, I'd stay he would change things.

West
08-02-2011, 01:42 PM
Oden at LT and Cambell at LG... Talk about some protection for our QB!

coachacola
08-02-2011, 01:49 PM
I read that Oden was going to be a RS sophomore at Arkansas this year so he could be potentially be a 3 year starter at Lamar. Hopefully a change of scenery will help him get things together so he doesn't waste his talent.

BigRed98
08-02-2011, 01:51 PM
NICE! Any more news on the player from OU?

bigred360
08-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Yeah, that is possible but Campbell would be changing positions from what the BMT Enterprise article mentioned that he was going to play LT in Sundays edition.

Plus, I wouldn't what either big man upset with me if they thought a move could hurt their NFL chances.

However, the left side of the line would be great with that combination. Not just protecting our QB but those two big bodies would move a few people and make lanes for our RB's.

sleepy
08-02-2011, 02:32 PM
There is a couple of different scenarios they are discussing if they get this kid. All are positive!

lu cards
08-02-2011, 02:40 PM
awesome news.thanks for the updates sleepy.

Big T
08-02-2011, 04:51 PM
Imagin what the running game could be with those guys on the o-line!!! Last year this was our biggest weakness now it could be our best position.

sleepy
08-02-2011, 05:18 PM
I can tell you right now if this team is able to run the ball. We will do more than just compete in this conference.

bigred360
08-02-2011, 05:33 PM
I can tell you right now if this team is able to run the ball. We will do more than just compete in this conference.

I completely agree with this comment. If Lamar can run the ball, it will open play action, make us a dual threat especially in the red zone. It will help the defense by keeping them off the field some and run some time off the clock.

I think it will help with special teams with not getting FG attempts blocked, punting should be better because we won't be kicking from deep in our own end of the field.

If you remember last year the punts blocked were on our on end of the field. Special team coaches are more aggressive going after a punt within the other teams end of the field. Plus you can take in down and distance. Lamar should not have as many three and outs and should not be left with many 4th and 10 situations.

I still think this kid needs some help with off the field issues but if we land another FBS transfer with his ability we aren't 8th in the league.

We'd be in the Top 3 in my opinion and it would be amazing if we could win this thing in our second year.

Sorry, I'm just a little excited! LOL

sleepy
08-02-2011, 05:51 PM
Well said BR360

BigRedTrack
08-02-2011, 07:43 PM
My hopes are up for him to straighten out his issues and hope he is in shape, so we can take advantage asap. (that is if he comes to Lamar)

CardAmbassador
08-02-2011, 07:57 PM
No doubt this guy would be a huge help, but I was looking at some of the other teams OL depth charts and now I feel like we need 2 or 3 more just like him. SFA has quite a few 300+ linemen.

After this season we need to get serious about putting some size on our team. We have a few guys that stand out, mostly transfers, but I feel like we are still a bit smaller than other teams. We will likely get some of that size though because if you look at LU's Rivals Recruiting vs. the other SLC schools it looks like we are going after the top end kids pretty hard.

Then again, we didn't update the weights of the players. Maybe it's Woodard and Co. strategy to give the other teams a false sense of security.

Remember the McNeese fan's strategy from last year, they talk the opponents team up to give them a false sense of security. :laugh:

bigred360
08-02-2011, 08:04 PM
Yeah, they haven't updated the weights of the players because I know for one Kyle Gilligam is over 275 lbs now.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/lamar/article/Now-indoors-Lamar-football-players-can-keep-1460169.php

TBonesLU
08-03-2011, 01:54 AM
I pulled this up with my ESPN Insider account. I did not write this; it is from ESPN.com. It is from July 21st.

"UPDATE II: Arkansas expected Anthony Oden to compete for a starting offensive tackle position in 2011. That certainly will not be the case after his recent dismissal from the team due to numerous off-the-field violations.

"That's one thing you never like to do as a coach," Arkansas head coach Bobby Petrino said Wednesday during his SEC press conference. "I always believe in second chances, some guys third chances. We just got to a situation where there were no more chances. It's hard on everybody. I tell the players all the time is "One lose, we all lose.'"

A quick glance at the team's depth chart will likely see freshman Brey Cook at right tackle and senior Grant Freeman at left tackle picking up the slack for the departed Oden.

- Brent Sobleski

---

UPDATE: To nobody's surprise, Arkansas Razorbacks lineman Anthony Oden was dismissed from the team following his second DWI arrest in a little more than a year.

Matt Jones of the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reports that Oden was expected to contend for a starting role this fall. Citing a report from the school, Jones reports that Oden "will still receive support from the athletic department," although "the specifics of that support are not known."

- Vince Verhei

---

Matt Jones of the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reports that Arkansas Razorbacks offensive lineman Anthony Oden has been arrested for driving while intoxicated, his second such arrest in a little more than a year.

Oden was also arrested for possession of a controlled substance, among other offenses.

"In addition to the DWI and illegal substance charges" Jones writes, "Oden was also charged with driving left of the center line, failing to yield to an emergency vehicle, no proof of ownership, driving on a suspended/revoked driver's license and no driver's license, according to the Washington County Detention Center website."

Jones reports that Oden was arrested on July 4, 2010, and later suspended for the Razorbacks' season-opener against Tennessee Tech. He is the fourth Arkansas player to be arrested on substance possession charges since last October.

"Oden, who has started one game in his career, is expected to compete for one of Arkansas' starting offensive tackle positions this fall," Jones writes. That seems awfully unlikely now."

CardAmbassador
08-04-2011, 12:28 AM
Anyone know if this guy is coming for a visit? Practice starts tomorrow.

West
08-04-2011, 01:13 AM
If he is still coming, it should be tomorrow.

Mbooyazz
08-04-2011, 02:12 AM
If he is still coming, it should be tomorrow.

He'd be a solid pickup for Lamar if he can stay out of trouble. I just figured out the connection between why Oden would consider Lamar, he and Campbell both attended Hargrave Military Academy and they are boyzzz.

bigred360
08-04-2011, 02:29 AM
Dang, then I expect him on campus tomorrow! Thanks for the information as I knew Campbell attended Hargrave Military Academy but didn't know Oden did.

Thanks for passing on the information.

CardAmbassador
08-04-2011, 02:34 AM
Nice connection we have there, I think we might land this guy.

Keep us updated...

CardAmbassador
08-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Somebody on campus has to have noticed a 6'8" 300 pounder??

Big T
08-04-2011, 10:34 PM
Was he on campus today?

coachacola
08-05-2011, 12:37 AM
As reported in another thread, Anthony Oden was seen at the football practice tonight.

LU4LIFE
08-05-2011, 02:18 AM
I saw Anthony Oden at practice tonight and all I got to say is WOW that is one huge guy.

CardAmbassador
08-05-2011, 02:27 AM
I saw him talking alot with another OL player who was injured. I tried to talk to him but he didn't want to talk to the media.

LU4LIFE
08-05-2011, 02:33 AM
I saw him talking alot with another OL player who was injured. I tried to talk to him but he didn't want to talk to the media.

Yea I saw that too I think the injured players number was 67 they where attached at the hip for most of practice.

Mike
08-05-2011, 04:22 AM
LINK: Anthony Oden Visits (http://bigredinsider.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=367&catid=1)

BigRedTrack
08-05-2011, 10:48 PM
My thinking is if he is in Beaumont now as everyone's practices begin, he is at least not going anywhere else. Still hopeful.

CardAmbassador
08-05-2011, 11:24 PM
My thinking is if he is in Beaumont now as everyone's practices begin, he is at least not going anywhere else. Still hopeful.

I agree, every DI program I know of has started practice, if he is in Beaumont as early as last night and likely this morning he probably isn't going any where else.

We will see. Anyone making it out to practice tonight should keep an eye out.

coachacola
08-06-2011, 04:19 PM
From the "In The Cards" blog:

Lamar University football has enough scholarships left to add another player, coach Ray Woodard said Saturday.

Woodard declined comment on former Arkansas offensive tackle Anthony Oden, who attended at least two of the first three practices.

Link: http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/2011/08/06/does-lu-have-a-scholarship-for-oden/

sleepy
08-06-2011, 04:27 PM
Pretty sure hes signing!!!!

Save Your Salad
08-06-2011, 04:37 PM

Now that is some good news. our Offensive line will have to be considered one of the top lines in FCS with those two big guys anchoring it. Props to you sleepy for mentioning this first and props to this site for reporting him being at practice. Lets hope he does indeed sign!

CardinalClaw
08-06-2011, 05:06 PM
From the "In The Cards" blog:

Lamar University football has enough scholarships left to add another player, coach Ray Woodard said Saturday.

Woodard declined comment on former Arkansas offensive tackle Anthony Oden, who attended at least two of the first three practices.

Link: http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/2011/08/06/does-lu-have-a-scholarship-for-oden/

This is interesting because me an a few others didn't notice him at Fridays practice so I wonder if he was at today's practice.

LU4LIFE
08-06-2011, 05:20 PM

That would be on hell of a O line with him and Campbell I hope he choices to play for Lamar.

CardAmbassador
08-06-2011, 05:31 PM
That's a solid o line commit. I think it would be interesting to line them up on the same side of the line at times with a power RB like gusset and see how much yardage we gain. Only problem is the opposing team would k ow which side we are going to.

bigred360
08-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Anyone know who was the guy decked out in ATM gear on the sidelines last night. My dream would be Christine Michael. However, being high profiled someone at ATM or here would have known it was him.

Save Your Salad
08-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Anyone know who was the guy decked out in ATM gear on the sidelines last night. My dream would be Christine Michael. However, being high profiled someone at ATM or here would have known it was him.

I wasnt at practice but I doubt it was anyone significant. It was probably just a family member watching practice that heppened to be wearing Texas A&M clothes. On Christine Michael, It would be interesting with him coming off an injury and the Aggies having a load of running backs if he fell down the RB chart if he'd remain happy there. If Oden is at Lamar with our returning linemen and Campbell any running back would love to run behind that line.

AggiesAreWe
08-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Christine Michaels will not be falling down the depth chart, creating an unhappiness, resulting in a transfer. C-Mike performed very well in the Aggie Spring game and is expected to share the running load with Cyrus Gray. Gray is a senior. Michaels will be "the man" next year if not by seasons end this year for A&M.

bigred360
08-06-2011, 08:17 PM
AggiesAreWe, I'm sure C-Mike won't fall down the depth chart but I heard Coach Sherman was going to have Gray get the vast majority of the carries with C-Mike getting 10 or fewer.

This isn't splitting time like they did last year before C-Mike got injured.

PNG1992
08-06-2011, 08:28 PM
The aggies are loaded at RB. I haven't heard how Michael has recovered from his injury but Im sure he'll get plenty of touches.

CardinalClaw
08-06-2011, 11:36 PM
Here is how some SHSU fans feel about Oden

http://katfans.com/newforum/index.php?topic=2714.msg26745#new

CardAmbassador
08-06-2011, 11:52 PM

Fixed the link to directly link to the thread where Oden is being talked about.

coachacola
08-06-2011, 11:56 PM
Here is how some SHSU fans feel about Odense

http://katfans.com/newforum/

I think those SHSU fans will have always have an inferiority complex when it comes to Lamar and Texas State. No matter how well their teams do nobody gives a damn!! Their athletic department knows this too, or why else schedule your season opener on a Thursday night? When only maybe 5000 fans show for the game they have a ready made excuse!

LU4LIFE
08-07-2011, 12:04 AM
SHSU has something negative to say about what Lamar is doing now that's a shocker.;)

Big T
08-07-2011, 12:07 AM
Love the comments when you know that if he would have ended up at SHSU non of this would have been said lol. IMO Lamar may now have the most talent of any team in the SLC. They are definitly tne most talented at OL, WR, and QB. The defence has gotten better and so has the running game. I think dear SHSU will be in for a big supprise. Can't wait to hear their excuses when Lamar beats them!!!

CardinalClaw
08-07-2011, 12:15 AM
Love the comments when you know that if he would have ended up at SHSU non of this would have been said lol. IMO Lamar may now have the most talent of any team in the SLC. They are definitly tne most talented at OL, WR, and QB. The defence has gotten better and so has the running game. I think dear SHSU will be in for a big supprise. Can't wait to hear their excuses when Lamar beats them!!!

My thought exactly.

CardinalClaw
08-07-2011, 12:27 AM
kingkat99 over there makes it sound like LAMAR is releasing the black plague on Beaumont.

bigred360
08-07-2011, 12:34 AM
Most of those guys did graduate from SHSU, right? Those are some stupid responses. I am willing to give Oden a second chance (If he does indeed sign with Lamar). However, if he were to mess up then that would be the end of him in Beaumont.

There are 118,000 residents in Beaumont and about 350,000 in the Golden Triangle and surrounding areas and they are worried about ONE person drinking and driving? There is probably over 25,000 people on any given night in SE Texas who have drank an alcoholic beverage and drives a vehicle.

Unbelievable, the way they find a way to talk negative about Lamar. I promise if Billy Chavis, Blake Chavis, Anthony Beard, Jacody Coleman, Jordan Garrett, Marcus Malbrough or Jeremy Johnson would have wanted to attend SHSU they would welcome them with open arms and not say a negative word about them wanting to be closer home and near family and friends.

IMO, they are just getting ready because they know this second year program is fixing to kick their butts in front of probably an attendance of 5,000 in Huntsville.

I don't remember hearing or reading about all their FBS transfers at the QB position or the fact their star RB is a transfer from Kansas State.

CardinalClaw
08-07-2011, 01:15 AM
You got to read this post

kingkat99
You're right I don't know a damn thing about the kid other than what I've read and that's all I need to know about him....He's a 2 time DWIer which in my book is about as bad as a sex offender. They are a hazard to soiciety...I hoipe he flunks out or get "hoimesick" and goes back to indianappolis.....and hopefully one day Woodard will rise above the JUCO "we'll take em no matter what" mentality and run a program worth a damn.

LAZEEK
08-07-2011, 01:21 AM
Chalk it up...........done deal!!!!! Spoke with source today!!!

BigRed98
08-07-2011, 01:23 AM

kingkat99
You're right I don't know a damn thing about the kid other than what I've read and that's all I need to know about him....He's a 2 time DWIer which in my book is about as bad as a sex offender. They are a hazard to soiciety...I hoipe he flunks out or get "hoimesick" and goes back to indianappolis.....and hopefully one day Woodard will rise above the JUCO "we'll take em no matter what" mentality and run a program worth a damn.

We'll see what they say when a program that isn't worth a damn beats them in their own house.

CardinalClaw
08-07-2011, 01:27 AM

That's GREAT thanks LAZEEK.

bigred360
08-07-2011, 01:27 AM

kingkat99

Now, that takes the cake. I can't say much about this guy because my brother knows him and his wife and Daniels work together. They are both school teachers.

However, this is the dumbest post I've read to date. He is comparing a SEX OFFENDER to someone with two DWI's. Need I say more about these comments? I hope his wife helps him with spelling or they need spell check on katfans.com.

CardAmbassador
08-07-2011, 01:28 AM

Sounds good, if we're going to take this kid lets just get it out of the way focus on football and hope that he stays clean. Since I know I was the dissenting voice in some ways here is my official statement. :)

I'm rooting for Oden to make the most of this chance here at LU and prove the doubters all wrong.

Let's go LU Football!!!

coachacola
08-07-2011, 01:29 AM

Great news! I may be wrong but won't he be a RS sophomore so he'll have 3 years of eligibility at Lamar?

Concerning kingkat99, I think he posts on the other Lamar board and he didn't say anything about Oden over there. I think he's a local guy who went to SHSU.

CardAmbassador
08-07-2011, 01:33 AM

Great news! I may be wrong but won't he be a RS sophomore so he'll have 3 years of eligibility at Lamar?

Concerning kingkat99, I think he posts on the other Lamar board and he didn't say anything about Oden over there. I think he's a local guy who went to SHSU.

His Arkansas profile only talks about his 2009 campaign but I believe he played in all the games at Arkansas besides the opener which he was suspended from playing in.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=3661373

Anyways what I'm getting at is that I think that only gives him two years of eligibility, could be wrong though because I don't know what he did in 2010.

CardinalClaw
08-07-2011, 01:36 AM
FOX said that he will have 3 more years.

bigred360
08-07-2011, 01:36 AM
Hate to admit it but the dude is a LC-M alumnus. Is there something in the water in Huntsville because some of these guys have a weird outlook on things.

CardAmbassador
08-07-2011, 01:39 AM
FOX said that he will have 3 more years.

Interesting, maybe he medical red-shirted in 2010 then.

CardinalClaw
08-07-2011, 01:46 AM
Here is the link if you want to watch

http://setxhomepage.com/fulltext?nxd_id=145427

LU4LIFE
08-07-2011, 01:46 AM

kingkat99

WOW I can't believe someone would compare a multiple DWI offender to a sex offender. If stupidity was a crime he would for sure get a life sentence. Also about the comment about Woodard running a program worth a damn, please tell me what the hell has SHSU done.

LU4LIFE
08-07-2011, 01:47 AM

Great new can't wait to see him a CARDINALS jersey.

Mike
08-07-2011, 02:17 AM

Indeed true, just got a call. Thanks for the jump LAZEEK!

lu cards
08-07-2011, 02:35 AM
kingkat said it himself.oden is a kid.he's made some horrible decisions that could have ruined his life and hopefully he's coming to beaumont to clean his act up.i havent heard of any issues with lu football players since football has been back.maybe beaumont is where he needs to be.time will tell.every fcs program accepts fbs transfers regularly.nothing abnormal going on in beaumont.woodard has said from the beginning that he wants local players that go off to know they have a place to come home to if it doesnt work out.that is SMART!!!were not going to sign the kid going to the big 12 but we recruit him in a way that keeps the door open for a possible return.shsu always makes a big deal over something like this when lu is involved.forget them.im not saying were going to beat them this year but can we put more fans in the stands than them in huntsville???lets red out huntsvegas!!!

TBonesLU
08-07-2011, 02:53 AM
Way to go, LU! This could prove to be a great recruit. Ignore the SHSU kitten fans. They're just upset they didn't get Michael Oher II and we did. If they'd gotten him, they'd be happy too. Don't let their comments ruin our good times.

CardAmbassador
08-07-2011, 03:00 AM
So how do you guys see this affecting the O line? Besides the obvious addition of size and skill I mean. Do you think we rotate Oden and Campbell out so that we always have one of them in the game at a time or do we load up with these guys and bulldoze the defense.

CardinalClaw
08-07-2011, 03:01 AM
They wont ruin my good time, I remember when we first signed Campbell an how exciting it was to get a player of his caliber on the team an now we just got another one in the same year.

BigRed98
08-07-2011, 03:04 AM
I doubt SHSU was complaining about FBS transfers when Dustin Long decided to leave TAMU to play his final year of eligibility there. As a matter of fact, have they accomplished anything over there in football since he graduated?

Big T
08-07-2011, 03:06 AM
Put them in at the same time. There ain't a defencive line in the SLC that could withstand both of them at the same time!!!

CardinalClaw
08-07-2011, 03:07 AM
So how do you guys see this affecting the O line? Besides the obvious addition of size and skill I mean. Do you think we rotate Oden and Campbell out so that we always have one of them in the game at a time or do we load up with these guys and bulldoze the defense.

I think we put them on the field at the same time.

TBonesLU
08-07-2011, 03:09 AM

I think we put them on the field at the same time.

+1

LU1991
08-07-2011, 03:15 AM
Great pick up. Can't wait to see him in pads.

BRI Staff
08-07-2011, 03:20 AM
Fox 4 is the first media source confirming this.

Big thanks to SLEEPY, ADMIN, CA, LAZEEK and others who provided various info on this entire recruiting process.

Fox4 Link: Oden has signed with Lamar (http://setxhomepage.com/fulltext?nxd_id=145517)

LU4LIFE
08-07-2011, 03:40 AM
This is a great pick up for LU. And I would put him and Campbell on field at the same time. Can you imagine the nightmare they will be for opposing teams D line.

coachacola
08-07-2011, 03:59 AM
Lamar should have some great size on the offensive line this year. Emone Bailey is 6-2, 325 lbs and he started the final 6 games last year. Campbell is 6-5 and 325 lbs. Oden is 6-8 325+ lbs. Stephen Babin is 6-5 280 lbs and started 10 games last year. Kyle Gillam is the smallest at 6-1 265 lbs, but he's probably added some weight since last year. There's about 3 or 4 other offensive linemen at least 300+ lbs. Most of these guys are underclassmen so they'll be around for a few more years.

The offensive line will be vastly improved over last year with a lot more depth. This will make a big difference when Lamar gets into the meat of conference play. Add Jeremy Johnson and two new running backs to the offense and Lamar will definitely surprise some people.

CardAmbassador
08-07-2011, 04:03 AM
Lamar should have some great size on the offensive line this year. Emone Bailey is 6-2, 325 lbs and he started the final 6 games last year. Campbell is 6-5 and 325 lbs. Oden is 6-8 325+ lbs. Stephen Babin is 6-5 280 lbs and started 10 games last year. Kyle Gillam is the smallest at 6-1 265 lbs, but he's probably added some weight since last year. There's about 3 or 4 other offensive linemen at least 300+ lbs. Most of these guys are underclassmen so they'll be around for a few more years.

The offensive line will be vastly improved over last year with a lot more depth. This will make a big difference when Lamar gets into the meat of conference play. Add Jeremy Johnson and two new running backs to the offense and Lamar will definitely surprise some people.

We can safely assume most of these OL men other than the new ones (Oden, Robertson, Campbell and Collins) have probably added 10 pounds or more to their weight.

Read this from the BE:

Lumberton graduate Kyle Gillam fell 20 pounds below his goal weight last summer, when the Cardinals held all offseason weight workouts outside because fieldhouse construction was not finished.
Gillam, a center, now weighs 275 pounds, 20 pounds above the weight he carried into the start of last season.

Read more: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/lamar/article/Now-indoors-Lamar-football-players-can-keep-1460169.php#ixzz1UJfXTYQb

bigred360
08-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the news and we just moved up at least 4 positions in conference in my opinion. Again, Lazeek, sleepy, CA, the admin and others, thanks so much for this information.

Lamar Pride
08-07-2011, 11:43 AM
Awesome news. I can't wait for football season.

kingkat99
08-07-2011, 11:52 AM

First let me say that this thread doesn't have enough posters in it to say this is how some katfans feel, now I will be the first to admit as a Bearkat Alum and Season Ticket holder that I am jealous of what Lamar has going for them with regards to football, your game day atmosphere from tailgating to the games themselves are awesome and make Sam games and tailgating seem pathetic at times, you are sitting on a hotbed of talent that will help you be successful at any level of football for years to come and yes you guys are raking in some very good talent from the fbs level. Now does Sam try and get recruits from the fbs level ?? Certainly, it's how many fcs schools survive and/or are successful and no one begrudges Lamar for doing this and you're right on the money when you say that Sam would gladly take any one of these transfers except I would hope that we wouldn't take Oden, but Im sure your coaching staff has vetted him well enough to have some sense of security that those problems are behind him. As to my sex offender comment that so many of you found stupid let me say I in NO WAY think a kid with a drinking problem is as bad a member of society as a sex offender. My point in that was only to say if you get not one but two dwi's in less than 18 months it means you really have a problem or you are a slow learner there by making you a danger to society that's all, and yes I understand that there are several thousand people every night who drink and drive in our area and would be a liar if I said I had never done so myself, but I have close friends who have gotten dwi's and it scared them straight on drinking and driving so getting two that close sort of screams issue in my mind. All that aside I hope you guys turn him around and wish you the best in your upcoming season except for Oct 29th...

TBonesLU
08-07-2011, 12:50 PM

First let me say that this thread doesn't have enough posters in it to say this is how some katfans feel, now I will be the first to admit as a Bearkat Alum and Season Ticket holder that I am jealous of what Lamar has going for them with regards to football, your game day atmosphere from tailgating to the games themselves are awesome and make Sam games and tailgating seem pathetic at times, you are sitting on a hotbed of talent that will help you be successful at any level of football for years to come and yes you guys are raking in some very good talent from the fbs level. Now does Sam try and get recruits from the fbs level ?? Certainly, it's how many fcs schools survive and/or are successful and no one begrudges Lamar for doing this and you're right on the money when you say that Sam would gladly take any one of these transfers except I would hope that we wouldn't take Oden, but Im sure your coaching staff has vetted him well enough to have some sense of security that those problems are behind him. As to my sex offender comment that so many of you found stupid let me say I in NO WAY think a kid with a drinking problem is as bad a member of society as a sex offender. My point in that was only to say if you get not one but two dwi's in less than 18 months it means you really have a problem or you are a slow learner there by making you a danger to society that's all, and yes I understand that there are several thousand people every night who drink and drive in our area and would be a liar if I said I had never done so myself, but I have close friends who have gotten dwi's and it scared them straight on drinking and driving so getting two that close sort of screams issue in my mind. All that aside I hope you guys turn him around and wish you the best in your upcoming season except for Oct 29th...

Good post.

CardAmbassador
08-07-2011, 02:59 PM

Good post.

Good post as long as you're wishing for an individual player to turn his life around then I'm ok.

kingkat99
08-07-2011, 08:14 PM

I think those SHSU fans will have always have an inferiority complex when it comes to Lamar and Texas State. No matter how well their teams do nobody gives a damn!! Their athletic department knows this too, or why else schedule your season opener on a Thursday night? When only maybe 5000 fans show for the game they have a ready made excuse!

Thursday night games at the FCS level are pretty common as evidenced by the fact that SHSU, SFA, Central Ark., Northwestern, and Nicholls St all have their season opener on Thursday Sept 1...but you are incorrect about the attendance it will be high because as a suitcase college there tends to be a larger turn out since students are still in town on a Thursday night. One of the benefits of a commuter school is students can come back for events since "home" is just down the road....

coachacola
08-07-2011, 11:08 PM
From the "In The Cards" blog: Oden mum on decision, will talk Monday...

Former Arkansas offensive lineman Anthony Oden declined Sunday to say if he will join the Lamar University football team.

Oden, who watched practice during a visit to the school last week, said he will talk Monday with coach Ray Woodard.

“I’m going to talk to the coach tomorrow,” Oden said by phone.

Link: http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/2011/08/07/oden-mum-on-decision-will-talk-monday/

coachacola
08-07-2011, 11:12 PM

Thursday night games at the FCS level are pretty common as evidenced by the fact that SHSU, SFA, Central Ark., Northwestern, and Nicholls St all have their season opener on Thursday Sept 1...but you are incorrect about the attendance it will be high because as a suitcase college there tends to be a larger turn out since students are still in town on a Thursday night. One of the benefits of a commuter school is students can come back for events since "home" is just down the road....

I just don't understand having season openers on a Thursday night. The first game of the season should get the most hype and attract the most fans, plus college football was meant to be played on Saturdays. If it's a TV game then I can understand doing it for the money and publicity, otherwise I don't like it. As far as SHSU's attendance goes, that was all said in fun.

NorthoftheBorder
08-08-2011, 01:28 AM
I think programs like Lamar, SHSU or Tx State/UTSA for that matter have to take chances on players like Oden. I agree with KingKat99 in that the LU coaches should be/have vetted him out about where he is with his drinking issue. It is no different than what we have all seen with the major programs like UT, A&M, LSU, Ohio State, Florida, U of Miami. They recruit kids every year that have issues and lets not hide our head in the sand thinking they don't know about it before they show up on campus. Don't get me wrong, I believe in running a clean program that works hard for championships and also holds the players accountable to a higher standard. If Oden has a productive (lets hope he has an all american career) career at LU and in the process gets his act together and matures into a responsible citizen, then college athletics has served its purpose.

TBonesLU
08-08-2011, 01:33 AM
I think programs like Lamar, SHSU or Tx State/UTSA for that matter have to take chances on players like Oden. I agree with KingKat99 in that the LU coaches should be/have vetted him out about where he is with his drinking issue. It is no different than what we have all seen with the major programs like UT, A&M, LSU, Ohio State, Florida, U of Miami. They recruit kids every year that have issues and lets not hide our head in the sand thinking they don't know about it before they show up on campus. Don't get me wrong, I believe in running a clean program that works hard for championships and also holds the players accountable to a higher standard. If Oden has a productive (lets hope he has an all american career) career at LU and in the process gets his act together and matures into a responsible citizen, then college athletics has served its purpose.

+ like 6

kingkat99
08-08-2011, 01:39 AM
I couldn't agree with you more on the Thursday night home openers Coach. It supposedly is done so that it is more of a "university" wide event, but it's a wasted game day experience for out of town season ticket holders like myself who have to leave work early just to get to the game by kickoff and tailgating is totally out of the question...but our AD does lots of things witness regards to scheduling that make no sense to me, kinda like 2pm kickoffs....I hate them.

CardAmbassador
08-08-2011, 02:35 PM

Former Arkansas offensive lineman Anthony Oden declined Sunday to say if he will join the Lamar University football team.

Oden, who watched practice during a visit to the school last week, said he will talk Monday with coach Ray Woodard.

Link: http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/2011/08/07/oden-mum-on-decision-will-talk-monday/

It's good that Oden waits to talk to coach before he talks to the media, I think he is playing everything safe. IMO this is as good as done though, he just doesn't want to say anything unless Woodard's OK with it.

NorthoftheBorder
08-08-2011, 02:54 PM

It's good that Oden waits to talk to coach before he talks to the media, I think he is playing everything safe. IMO this is as good as done though, he just doesn't want to say anything unless Woodard's OK with it.

CA, Fox 4 sure has gone out on a limb if this is in any way iffy?

CardAmbassador
08-08-2011, 03:00 PM

CA, Fox 4 sure has gone out on a limb if this is in any way iffy?

Exactly, and with the amount of detail they provided in that report, recall them mentioning Oden's flight home, it must be accurate.

Dabe tried to speak directly to Oden, Fox 4 has a good relationship with the coaching staff, I'm sure they got their info from one of the coaches.

LU1991
08-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Any news on when we can see this guy practice???

coachacola
08-08-2011, 08:14 PM
According to the Beaumont Enterprise, it's official now, Lamar has signed Oden.

CardAmbassador
08-08-2011, 08:21 PM

They're only two days late in confirming this. B)

Seriously though, good news, I didn't know he helped his HS basketball team win a state championship, maybe Oden really could play for Knight too.

NickKBTV
08-08-2011, 08:23 PM
BEAUMONT – Lamar University will get a huge addition to its football team later this week. Huge, that is, as in 6-foot-8 and 328 pounds.

Anthony Oden, who in 2009 became the first offensive lineman to start at the University of Arkansas since 2001, is expected to join Cardinal workouts as soon as he can get relocated to Beaumont. He appeared only in the Razorbacks’ early-season game against Louisiana-Monroe last year and was granted a medical redshirt by the NCAA after encountering a season-ending illness.

Oden, the younger brother of National Basketball Association star Greg Oden Jr. of the Portland Trailblazers, will have three years of eligibility remaining, beginning immediately. He will play at one of the offensive tackles, and head coach Ray Woodard said his position on the depth chart will be determined after he goes through a couple of weeks of practices leading up to the Cardinals’ season opener against Texas College in 16,00-seat Provost Umphrey Stadium on Sept. 3.

As a freshman in 2009, Oden blocked for an Arkansas team that led the Southeastern Conference in scoring offense (36.0 points-per-game average) and passing offense (average of 295.5 yards per game) and was third in total offense (427.3 yards per game). The Razorbacks ranked 10th in the nation in passing offense that season, 20th in total offense, ninth in scoring and 11th in passing efficiency.

“Certainly, because of his size, we are looking forward to having Anthony as a member of our football team,” said Woodard, who guided the Cardinals to a 5-6 record during the 2010 season, the school’s first since resurrecting the program after a 21-year hiatus. “He has great feet to go with his size, and I’m looking forward to seeing him in a Lamar uniform.

Oden is a native of Indianapolis, and he is a former teammate of current Lamar offensive tackle Daniel Campbell (6-5 and 345 pounds), a transfer from Navarro College, at Hargrave, Va. Military Academy. He attended Hargrave, a prep school, after graduating from Indianapolis North High School in 2008, and he helped lead Hargrave to a 10-1 record.

Oden split time between tight end and defensive end during his high school career, and he also starred in basketball, helping to lead his team to a state championship.

LU4LIFE
08-08-2011, 08:43 PM

That's good, now he just needs to get down here and get to work we have a championship to win!!!!B)

NickKBTV
08-08-2011, 08:48 PM
He was brought to the airport Saturday night but I'll try to find out when he'll be in Beaumont. Everyone is going to be days late on this story. Great addition! Now that line should be pretty stacked and there is no reason we can't score more than 1 rushing TD this season!

NorthoftheBorder
08-08-2011, 08:55 PM
He was brought to the airport Saturday night but I'll try to find out when he'll be in Beaumont. Everyone is going to be days late on this story. Great addition! Now that line should be pretty stacked and there is no reason we can't score more than 1 rushing TD this season!

Amen to that!!!!!

NickKBTV
08-08-2011, 09:19 PM
With the mixture of Division 1 transfers and solid high school kids, this team will make some noise this season. Everything has to come together and time will only tell but when they do, lookout. If not this year, then next year.

aapnglu
08-09-2011, 02:02 PM
No doubt makes us a better team but does anyone else have any issues with his past? Doesn't scream class to me. Hope LU doesn't become the place where talented miscreants go to play. I would rather have some integrity with student athletes who are here to make the University special and not just make the football team better. I guess I am saying I would rather lose with integrity but celebrating a guy with two dui's and controlled substance arrest seems lame.

CardAmbassador
08-09-2011, 02:22 PM
No doubt makes us a better team but does anyone else have any issues with his past? Doesn't scream class to me. Hope LU doesn't become the place where talented miscreants go to play. I would rather have some integrity with student athletes who are here to make the University special and not just make the football team better. I guess I am saying I would rather lose with integrity but celebrating a guy with two dui's and controlled substance arrest seems lame.

No I was concerned about his past, and I would say that in fact all of us were at least concerned about it. But there were differing opinions on whether that means we should pass on signing him or add him to the team.

He is here now, so as fans we have to get behind him and hope that the coaches vetted him before signing, which they likely did, and that he is smart enough not to make the same mistakes.

Thanks for joining, hope to see you around!

Go CARDS!!!

coachacola
08-09-2011, 03:51 PM
As long as they don't mess up here then I'm ok with Lamar getting these guys. If they stay out of trouble here then that means Woodard is doing a great job giving a guys a second chance and helping them get their act together.

CardAmbassador
08-09-2011, 04:02 PM
As long as they don't mess up here then I'm ok with Lamar getting these guys. If they stay out of trouble here then that means Woodard is doing a great job giving a guys a second chance and helping them get their act together.

I mentioned it on Katfans but not here. Lamar, since bringing it's football team back in 2008 has not had a single player arrested.

How many college football programs can say that in the same amount of time??

BigRed98
08-09-2011, 04:10 PM

I mentioned it on Katfans but not here. Lamar, since bringing it's football team back in 2008 has not had a single player arrested.

I was getting read to post the same thing.

Big T
08-09-2011, 04:38 PM
With what Woodard has done with this football program keeping it completly clean since its inception i trust him and his staff on any player they want to bring in. Some people make stupid dicisions and some make stupid decisions twice. Hopefully after the second time it clicked and he has turned a new page. I don't mind giving guys a second or even sometimes a third chance but if i'm giving them a third chance they will have to prove to me that they deserve it and i think Oden in some way has to this coaching staff.

West
08-09-2011, 05:12 PM

CardAmbassador, do some digging, and you'll find that we have had our share fair of trouble. The SETX media is very friendly when it comes to Lamar Football. Not saying there is anything earth shattering, but the football team isn't allowed on Crocket Street for a reason (not that it keeps them out).

AggiesAreWe
08-09-2011, 05:19 PM

CardAmbassador, do some digging, and you'll find that we have had our share fair of trouble. The SETX media is very friendly when it comes to Lamar Football. Not saying there is anything earth shattering, but the football team isn't allowed on Crocket Street for a reason (not that it keeps them out).

This is true, but really nothing to write home about.;)

CardAmbassador
08-09-2011, 05:21 PM

This is true, but really nothing to write home about.;)

I tried several different searches on Google, found nothing. If they were in trouble it wasn't serious.

BRI Staff
08-10-2011, 10:01 PM
Offensive lineman Anthony Oden will not practice with the Lamar University football team until at least Monday, Erik Cox of the Lamar sports information office said in an email.

http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/2011/08/10/oden-not-expected-at-lu-until-monday/

boomer
08-11-2011, 01:11 AM
Let's as a community. Be as supportive as possible with these transfers and they will keep coming. Maybe we could get a rep of being the collegiate version of the Patriots "Revive your NFL career path with LU and the angry birds. Now with this strategy comes great responsibility( little spiderman twist there for those fellow nerds who recognize ). So if you see the KIDS out and that's what they are is KIDS give them some encouragement. This doesn't even have to be about football. Now if you see them out drinking or messing up kickem right in the nuts and tell them we need them so stop risking it all for something stupid like drinking. You can tell them they have their whole life to make mistakes so pace yourself and start slow. These are just some thoughts no biggie but glad the guys took a chance on us (LU) just like we are doing with them.

CardAmbassador
08-11-2011, 02:35 AM
Let's as a community. Be as supportive as possible with these transfers and they will keep coming. Maybe we could get a rep of being the collegiate version of the Patriots "Revive your NFL career path with LU and the angry birds. Now with this strategy comes great responsibility( little spiderman twist there for those fellow nerds who recognize ). So if you see the KIDS out and that's what they are is KIDS give them some encouragement. This doesn't even have to be about football. Now if you see them out drinking or messing up kickem right in the nuts and tell them we need them so stop risking it all for something stupid like drinking. You can tell them they have their whole life to make mistakes so pace yourself and start slow. These are just some thoughts no biggie but glad the guys took a chance on us (LU) just like we are doing with them.

Good advice, I would love to think that the community would react this way but just look at the comments on Beaumont Enterprise blog for example. You had to see it coming that some people are going to view this as a stupid move no matter what the kid does.

Don't take my comments the wrong way, I want the guy to succeed. I didn't necessarily want him here before, but now that he is at LU I'm behind him 100%. I'm just letting you know that some people are not going to give him the benefit of the doubt. This is something we will have to live with.

boomer
08-11-2011, 03:06 AM
No doubt. The one thing about all the bad comments is winning will erase them. That said I stands by my earlier post if enough of us are supportive from the start there is a chance we can help some of these kids. This is what I want you to ask yourself if we bring in six troubled kids and three graduate was it worth it? I said in a post yesterday that this is our Cardinals. That means we are the torch bearers for how this will progress, I love the BE but there controlling what is posted alot closer than we are I assure you that. We all here post and talk for the love of sports not to sell something through hype or controversy. I might be wrong but pretty sure we all have nonsport related careers plus the website is paid for out of pocket by blue collar workers. No hidden agendas and as of yet no sponsors. So let them print the bad stuff and we will keep on posting the true LU fans thoughts.

BRI Staff
08-12-2011, 09:33 PM
Once he arrives, it might take a day or two for Oden to get on the field.

“He’s going to have to take a physical,” Woodard said. “There’s some NCAA guidelines he’s got to follow. His first two practices has to be in shorts. He’s got a little ways to go.”

http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/2011/08/12/woodard-oden-has-a-little-ways-to-go/

coachacola
08-12-2011, 10:07 PM
I just hope Oden doesn't turn out to be another James Davis type player. But I haven't read anywhere that he's had attitude problems and with his friend Campbell on the team maybe he'll dedicate himself to football. They are both NFL caliber players so they should have plenty to play for.

BigRedTrack
08-13-2011, 03:44 AM

UT-Austin has gone almost 6 days with no one getting arrested, so I guess they are not in the running.

BigRedTrack
08-13-2011, 03:47 AM
Like I have said before on BRI, to be successful at Lamar's level you have to have some luck, especially when it comes to recruiting. IMO Lamar Football has just gotten very lucky this preseason and hope it continues.

\m/
08-13-2011, 03:49 AM

UT-Austin has gone almost 6 days with no one getting arrested, so I guess they are not in the running.

sadly we'll never win that award. lol

NorthoftheBorder
08-16-2011, 02:07 AM
So is he in Beaumont yet and starting workouts?

CardinalClaw
08-16-2011, 02:17 AM
I didn't see him on the sidelines in practice tonight.

CardAmbassador
08-16-2011, 02:26 AM
I didn't see him on the sidelines in practice tonight.

Not surprised as Woodard said there would be multiple hurdles for him to clear first. NCAA rules to address and such.

coachacola
08-16-2011, 10:39 PM
Looks like he should be in town tomorrow and could be practicing with the team on Thursday.

Offensive lineman Anthony Oden should be in Beaumont by Wednesday and on the practice field Thursday, coach Ray Woodard said Tuesday.

Oden, who signed last week to play for Lamar University, is a transfer from the University of Arkansas.

Woodard said he is not concerned about why Oden has taken as long as he has to get to Lamar.

“We talk every day,” Woodard said. “I’m hoping by tomorrow. I don’t know if he’ll be out here because he’s still got to take a physical and do some paper work. I’d like to think he’ll be in Beaumont by tomorrow.”

http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/

LU4LIFE
08-17-2011, 01:12 AM
Good news, I hope he gets here tomorrow so he can take care of all the off the field stuff so I can see him in action.

Big T
08-17-2011, 01:45 AM
Won't he have to play in short for a while? I thought there was some rule about a player having to have so much conditioning before he can even put in the pads.

CardAmbassador
08-17-2011, 01:59 AM
Won't he have to play in short for a while? I thought there was some rule about a player having to have so much conditioning before he can even put in the pads.

Yes, I believe he has to do his first two workouts in shorts.

CardinalClaw
08-17-2011, 02:04 AM

Yes, I believe he has to do his first two workouts in shorts.

Your right CA he has to practice without pads for the fist two.

NorthoftheBorder
08-17-2011, 03:10 AM
I for one hope that him taking so long to get here isn't a sign of the lack of committment and dedication.