PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Lamar has three strong potential quarterbacks. Who will take the snap?

BRI Staff
08-02-2011, 05:36 PM
Poll Question: Who will start the most games at the QB position for the Cardinals this year?

ARTICLE:
Jeremy Johnson will get snaps with the No. 1 offense when the Lamar University football team opens practice at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, coach Ray Woodard said.

Kelly graduate Doug Prewitt will be the No. 1 quarterback ahead of Andre Bevil and Johnson, but all three will share snaps with the starting unit.

“You can’t put a guy, a so-called No. 1, with the third unit all the time and expect him to perform to the level of the guy with the first line protecting him the whole time,” Woodard said Tuesday. “We’re going to have to give them all a fair shot.”

Johnson, a Silsbee graduate, transferred to Lamar after one redshirt season at West Virginia. He left high school as one of the nation’s top dual-threat quarterbacks.

Prewitt started the last three games last season after Bevil (West Orange-Stark) injured his hand and wrist during a game. Lamar won two games Prewitt started, and he entered the spring as the No. 1 quarterback.

“We’ve got a really good problem,” Woodard said. “We’ve got three really good quarterbacks.”

Don’t look for the quarterbacks to rotate with the first-team offense until closer to the first preseason scrimmage Aug. 13.

“Early on, it will be getting reps to learn,” Woodard said. “But as we get into scrimmage situations, we’ll have to make sure we (give them equal first-team snaps).”

Woodard said no quarterback took command of the position in the spring. If anything, Johnson played his way up the depth chart.

“I thought we started spring ball the kind of the way we ended up with Doug one and Andre two,” Woodard said. “I think with Jeremy coming in here, we’ve kind of got a log-jam of quarterbacks. I don’t think any of them took off or was head and shoulders above the other two after spring ball, so we’re pretty much picking up where we left off. We kept the depth chart where it was after the spring.”

LINK: In the Cards Blog (http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/2011/08/02/jeremy-johnson-to-get-snaps-with-first-team-offense/)

TBonesLU
08-02-2011, 05:59 PM
Kelly graduate Doug Prewitt will be the No. 1 quarterback ahead of Andre Bevil and Johnson, but all three will share snaps with the starting unit.

Forgive me if I am the only one that does not fully understand this, but is he stating that Prewitt is the number one in practice or he is the number one QB?

coachacola
08-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Looks like Doug Prewitt is #1 on the depth chart. Johnson has to prove that he should be the #1 quarterback and it looks like Woodard is giving him that chance.

sleepy
08-02-2011, 06:17 PM
That is how I would interpret it coachacola. Seems fair to me.

LU4LIFE
08-02-2011, 06:25 PM
That't the way I took it too and rightfully so, Doug was the #1 QB at the end of last season so he should still be #1 until some proves they are the better man for the job.

TBonesLU
08-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Looks like Doug Prewitt is #1 on the depth chart. Johnson has to prove that he should be the #1 quarterback and it looks like Woodard is giving him that chance.

Thanks. That helps. Just by reading it, he seemed to favor those two. Anyone else under the impression that his talking about the three guys and the lackthereof regarding Bevil might be a hint?

He mentioned that Prewitt was the #1 as of now based on last year. The only thing he said for sure was that Johnson worked his way up. His only mention of Bevil was a statement saying that we have 3 quarterbacks.

The way I understand this:

1. Prewitt (his spot to lose or Johnson's spot to win; Prewitt doesn't have to have negatives but only seem less athletic than Johnson to lose the #1 spot)
2. Johnson (equal with Prewitt, but due to his lack of experience, he must prove he has, in fact, more to offer than Prewitt...not an easy task if they don't allow him to run in practice)

3. Bevil (due to the lack of his name being mentioned, we can safely assume he would have to be a completely different quarterback than last year to win this spot back...or show some of what he had in the McNeese game)

NorthoftheBorder
08-02-2011, 06:32 PM

Thanks. That helps. Just by reading it, he seemed to favor those two. Anyone else under the impression that his talking about the three guys and the lackthereof regarding Bevil might be a hint?

He mentioned that Prewitt was the #1 as of now based on last year. The only thing he said for sure was that Johnson worked his way up. His only mention of Bevil was a statement saying that we have 3 quarterbacks.

1. Prewitt (his spot to lose or Johnson's spot to win; Prewitt doesn't have to have negatives but only seem less athletic than Johnson to lose the #1 spot)
2. Johnson (equal with Prewitt, but due to his lack of experience, he must prove he has, in fact, more to offer than Prewitt...not an easy task if they don't allow him to run in practice)

3. Bevil (due to the lack of his name being mentioned, we can safely assume he would have to be a completely different quarterback than last year to win this spot back...or show some of what he had in the McNeese game)

Good assessment about all three QB's with one caveat. Great QB's who win championships are not only athletically talented, but they have that intangible of somehow getting it done, making the plays at the right time. It something that can only be measured in game experiences. That is the guy we are looking for.

TBonesLU
08-02-2011, 06:36 PM

Good assessment about all three QB's with one caveat. Great QB's who win championships are not only athletically talented, but they have that intangible of somehow getting it done, making the plays at the right time. It something that can only be measured in game experiences. That is the guy we are looking for.

I don't disagree with that at all. However, because no one in the area has seen Johnson play except for in high school, Woodard will have to rely on intuition and gut feeling by looking at Prewitt's numbers and ability to what he can see in Johnson during practice, and more notably, scrimmages.

TBonesLU
08-02-2011, 06:43 PM
Here is Johnson's evaluation on ESPNU.com when he was drafted in 2010 (this is not a reply to anyone's post, just thought it could be posted for anyone who wants to read it):

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-football/recruiting/player/_/id/69493/jeremy-johnson

AggiesAreWe
08-02-2011, 07:03 PM
I still say that by the 3rd game, Jeremy Johnson will be the starting quarterback.

FYI: a piece of advice(I only say this because of past experience), I would be careful about posting news articles from other media sources in their entirety due to copyright laws.

Posting just the link or partial articles followed by links are fine, but not the entire article. I know this quite well because of some situations that our site has come across before.

Just thought I would be helpful.

bigred360
08-02-2011, 07:19 PM
We feel he is more quick and shifty than he his top end fast. Speed is good, but not great. If Johnson strictly wants to play QB, he has to be in the spread to maximize his strengths. We think his feet, hips and ability to run and change directions is good enough to be considered a legit prospect at multiple positions. Good overall player that has some football smarts and competitiveness.

The dude just ran a 4.35 forty in April of this year. Even if the sports performance coaches are bad at timing players and they are off by a tenth, he is still at 4.45. That is fast at any university in the country.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/lama/genrel/auto_pdf/2011-12/misc_non_event/7-28-11.pdf

I was always told you go with the player that as the most up-side. Because with the more experience the better the player will be.

IMO, I have nothing against Prewitt. I think he is a good QB and will always be a good QB. He'll be a sophomore this season.

The thing is Johnson can be a great QB in the spread offense. He is probably the most athletic guy on the team. He is a red-shirt freshman who will learn the system here. He is a true dual threat QB.

Plus, he is the tallest of the three talked about.

IMO, by the end of training camp JJ will prove he is the best QB on the team, has the arm and legs to win games and he too has the intangibles you look for in a player

AggiesAreWe
08-02-2011, 07:52 PM
Question, when did '6"2-'6"3 become too short to be a quarterback prospect?

I have to wonder if this is the right profile from ESPNU.

BTW TBones, I wasn't really speaking about your post but the first post of thread which has an article from the Beaumont Enterprise.

BigRedTrack
08-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Johnson looked raw in the spring scrimmages with flashes of talent. Hope he has matured into a quarterback over the summer.

CardAmbassador
08-02-2011, 08:07 PM
I'm not sold that Johnson has the intangibles yet. He has two very good tangibles in his speed and athleticism though. But I haven't seen him lead a brand new DI college football team to victory in the fourth quarter like I know Prewitt has done.

I'm going to be happy with either of them likely. But I need to know Johnson can lead like Prewitt can, because that was one of Prewitt's strong points. I think he lead the team to victory. He gave them that sense of hope.

BTW, spoke to Prewitt a few days ago and he is pumped up for practice to start he can hardly wait, he has been staying conditioned during the summer and throws the football around with a few of the receivers (Hayes, Jackson, Ford, etc.) when they can get together.

I like that Prewitt is going into fall as the number one. I think somebody else is going to have to bust their tail to take the spot from him. We have a very good problem right now.

And 6'2" is not ideal height, 6'5" is ideal height for a QB at the FBS AQ and Pro level. Doesn't mean much though because there have been several 6'0 do just fine.

BigRedTrack
08-02-2011, 08:11 PM
I'm not sold that Johnson has the intangibles yet. He has two very good tangibles in his speed and athleticism though. But I haven't seen him lead a brand new DI college football team to victory in the fourth quarter like I know Prewitt has done.

I'm going to be happy with either of them likely. But I need to know Johnson can lead like Prewitt can, because that was one of Prewitt's strong points. I think he lead the team to victory. He gave them that sense of hope.

BTW, spoke to Prewitt a few days ago and he is pumped up for practice to start he can hardly wait, he has been staying conditioned during the summer and throws the football around with a few of the receivers (Hayes, Jackson, Ford, etc.) when they can get together.

I like that Prewitt is going into fall as the number one. I think somebody else is going to have to bust their tail to take the spot from him. We have a very good problem right now.

And 6'2" is not ideal height, 6'5" is ideal height for a QB at the FBS AQ and Pro level. Doesn't mean much though because there have been several 6'0 do just fine.

Agree with you CA. I'd take Doug Flutie any day as my college QB.

bigred360
08-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Thing is Prewitt isn't 6'0, he is listed 5'11. I guess Troy Aikman was short as he is only 6'4. 6'2 is the same height as Tony Romo.

You haven't seen him (Johnson) lead a college team to victory because he hasn't had the opportunity yet.

This is from the spring game.

Johnson got his white team into the end zone early in the second quarter to make the score 14-7. The Silsbee product, who finished 9-of-10 for 159 yards, threw the first of two scoring strikes to Josh Powdrill from eight yards out to cap a six-play, 81-yard drive.

The only way to be better than 9-10 is 10-10. Isn't that asking a little much for a freshman?

Sorry can't give Prewitt's stats as they aren't listed

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/030311aaa.html

Finally, I just want the best man to lead the offense. We all have opinions but they will sort themselves out come the date of the Texas College (win).

CardAmbassador
08-02-2011, 08:27 PM
I agree with you. I'm just saying I'm going to need to see it first before I can say he has it. A fourth quarter drive in a real game against an opposing team is different than a spring scrimmage. But don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for JJ because if he is successful here then that means alot of good things for Cardinal football.

eh 6'4 ~ 6'5".

Man I can't wait till that Texas College game, I don't care who the QB is I'm expecting at least a 40 point win and probably a shut out too.

LETS GO CARDS!!!!

AggiesAreWe
08-02-2011, 09:00 PM
FYI

Average height of an NFL starting QB: '6"3

I would think the average height of a starting QB on the FBS and FCS level is shorter than '6"3.;)

CardAmbassador
08-02-2011, 09:05 PM
FYI

Average height of an NFL starting QB: '6"3

I would think the average height of a starting QB on the FBS and FCS level is shorter than '6"3.;)

Not surprised, I just said "ideal" height. OC's like that size in particular because at that point you can easily see over the offensive line. Usually you see O linemen at around the 6'5 mark.

bigred360
08-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Great point you bring up CA as Gilligam is 6'2, Campbell is 6'5 and this possible transfer in 6'8. That could effect the "window" for the QB's on the team with tall lineman.

Of course it can be done as someone brought up Heisman Trophy winner Doug Flutie. Then there is Drew Brees for the Saints at a listed 6'0.

CardAmbassador
08-03-2011, 03:56 PM
I just saw this retweeted on BRI's twitter account.

Jeremy Johnson:

Gettin sick and two a days tommorrow...defense still dont have a chance.

Looks like hes still going to run all over the defense. Can't wait!

CardAmbassador
08-03-2011, 04:57 PM
From BRI twitter retweet.

Doug Prewitt:

Camp starts today. No distractions #hardwork

Sounds like both our QB's are going into camp with a competitive attitude, can't wait to watch this. It's going to be fun!

CardinalClaw
08-03-2011, 05:13 PM
Sounds like we are going to have one hell of a competition on our hands.

LU4LIFE
08-03-2011, 05:14 PM

You can say that again, and that's only going to make the team better.

CardAmbassador
08-04-2011, 04:34 PM

Sure is.

I changed the name of this thread because the Beaumont Enterprise renamed this article. I thought that was odd.

I also added a QB poll at the top. I know we had one before but I can't find it so I made another one.

The poll question is "Who do you think" so we all understand it's just a guessing game for fun.

Vote away.

AggiesAreWe
08-04-2011, 05:03 PM

Sure is.

I changed the name of this thread because the Beaumont Enterprise renamed this article. I thought that was odd.

I also added a QB poll at the top. I know we had one before but I can't find it so I made another one.

The poll question is "Who do you think" so we all understand it's just a guessing game for fun.

Vote away.

Question, is the poll asking who will be the starter in the opener, by season's end, or who will actually start the most games this season?

I think it's pretty safe to say that Prewitt will get the start in the opener, but I say JJ ends up being the starter by game 3 and throughout the remainder of the season, barring no injury.

CardAmbassador
08-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Hmm, that's a good question. I think the most interesting question would be the most games. I'll go ahead and specify that at the top.

CardAmbassador
08-12-2011, 09:20 PM
Jeremy Johnson understands the playbook. Now he needs to keep running plays.

“He’s doing good,” coach Ray Woodard said. “I think the spring helped him. Being here this summer and working out with the receivers has helped him. He’s doing a good job.”

http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/2011/08/12/jeremy-johnson-just-needs-reps-woodard-says/

Big T
08-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Yuk!!! Bevil is our number two.

coachacola
08-12-2011, 10:03 PM
I think Johnson will quickly pass Bevil on the depth chart, and even with Pruitt as QB we'll see the other two on the field a lot.

TexGator
08-12-2011, 10:56 PM
While I'm a fan of the traditional drop-back passer, I think Johnson's the most talented of the 3 options. So, even if he isn't the starter, he'll quickly work his way into some formations where the defense has to be aware he's there- giving Prewitt or Bevil more options, if they win the job.

I can see some "Wildcat" options where opponents are unsure if Johnson's the QB, RB, or DB (decoy back) where even I could find a TE or slot receiver for a key conversion.

Can we make it a contest where all three run "Roll Left" and the QB who James Brown thinks ran it the most like him gets it?

JJWooten
08-13-2011, 12:00 AM
Let's hope that they chose one, give them a chance, and if they have to change, they make the change. I remember a few years back TW went into the SFA game and he was alternating series with two different QBs because the starter got hurt.

That's a recipe for disaster. Woodard needs to pick one, give him a full chance, and if it doesn't work, switch. Let's hope he doesn't take TW's advice to rotate them during gametime.

CardinalClaw
08-13-2011, 01:17 AM
Let's hope that they chose one, give them a chance, and if they have to change, they make the change. I remember a few years back TW went into the SFA game and he was alternating series with two different QBs because the starter got hurt.

That's a recipe for disaster. Woodard needs to pick one, give him a full chance, and if it doesn't work, switch. Let's hope he doesn't take TW's advice to rotate them during gametime.

I agree with Wooten, I'm hoping Woodard picks the starter at lease a week before the first game so they have a full week to work with the first string players by themselves.

BRI Staff
08-14-2011, 04:32 PM
None of Lamar University’s three starting quarterback candidates took a lead in the position battle Saturday night.

Sophomore Doug Prewitt (Kelly), senior Andre Bevil (West Orange-Stark) and redshirt freshman transfer Jeremy Johnson (Silsbee) each worked with the first-team offense in the team’s first preseason scrimmage at Provost Umphrey Stadium.

The three combined to complete 2-of-13 passes for 13 yards. Bevil did the most with his legs, rushing twice for 23 yards. Johnson threw the only interception, to linebacker Anthony Beard (Lumberton).

http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/2011/08/13/no-movement-in-starting-quarterback-battle/

CardAmbassador
08-14-2011, 04:33 PM
The three combined to complete 2-of-13 passes for 13 yards. Bevil did the most with his legs, rushing twice for 23 yards. Johnson threw the only interception, to linebacker Anthony Beard (Lumberton).

Wow, that is not what I expected when you guys said no one stood out.

Big T
08-14-2011, 05:43 PM
There were several very good passes that were brought back due to penalties and there were also several dropped passes. But at times in looked like just like it sounds. Horrible.

boomer
08-14-2011, 06:12 PM
We had a thread a while back like this concerning Johnson being the automatic #1. I took alot of flack when I said to slow down on the hype. I love the kids talent, there is no doubt. The thing I reminded ya'll of was Coach Woodard's love of athletic QB's. The statement he made to our reporter Ty Cropper last year was he loved QB's who could play other positions. His thoughts on this were they had better field vision and an understanding of the game. I am not saying it is going to happen , just don't be surprised if he might not try Johnson at mutiple positions. This of course is if there is no huge seperation that begins at QB. A team is always better when all of its best players are on the field

CardAmbassador
08-14-2011, 10:16 PM
I agree Boomer, we may very well see Johnson at another position. I just want the best guy to step up quickly, we need to give the best guy the job and allow him some time to get extra snaps with the offense. While some SLC teams already have their #1 picked out, we're splitting the same amount of time/snaps between three guys.

I'm even more interested to see how all three of these guys adjust after this game. Which ones are going to step up their performance next week? Should be a very interesting scrimmage to watch next Saturday.

CardAmbassador
08-22-2011, 05:13 PM
One big unknown surrounding the Lamar University football team is who will be the starting quarterback when the season starts Sept. 3.

Senior Andre Bevil and sophomore Doug Prewitt offer the most experience. The most electric might be freshman Jeremy Johnson.

A Silsbee product who transferred after he redshirted one season at West Virginia, Johnson played more snaps than either of the other two quarterbacks in the team's scrimmage Saturday at Provost Umphrey Stadium.

Coach Ray Woodard said Johnson's extended playing time is not a sign of preference.
"We just wanted to make sure he got a good, honest look," Woodard said.

Read more: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/lamar/article/Lamar-QB-Johnson-gets-good-honest-look-2134972.php#ixzz1VmaGjZYA

boomer
08-22-2011, 07:39 PM
How was the QB play at the most resent scrimmage....does anyone know if Johnson has ever played another offensive position?

coachacola
08-22-2011, 07:47 PM
How was the QB play at the most resent scrimmage....does anyone know if Johnson has ever played another offensive position?

Read Fred Davis' breakdown of the scrimmage if you haven't already. Johnson is the QB of the future, and although he may not start against Texas College, sure sounds like he'll play a lot against them. I think the coaching staff is itching for him to live up to his potential as soon as possible.

CardAmbassador
08-22-2011, 08:13 PM

Read Fred Davis' breakdown of the scrimmage if you haven't already. Johnson is the QB of the future, and although he may not start against Texas College, sure sounds like he'll play a lot against them. I think the coaching staff is itching for him to live up to his potential as soon as possible.

Here is the link to the Story: http://bigredinsider.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=376&catid=1

I agree, it looks like Johnson is the QB of the future, he isn't turning the ball over any more than any of the others, he apparently bobbled some snaps but I think that's something he can fix with mroe mental concentration and practice.

Fred Davis' break down mentions something important that I noticed about JJ in the spring. He can throw to the middle of the field. If you watch Bevil you will see that he doesn't do this very well, he throws either left or right. I like it when a QB can zip passes over the top, it keeps their eyes forward and not cocked to one side or the other.

With Prewitt's injury I think by the time conference rolls around there is a very good chance Johnson is the starter.

coachacola
08-22-2011, 08:24 PM
According to a tweet from Chris Dabe, both Pruitt and Bevil will not practice tonight due to injuries so JJ will get all the snaps.

jdcurran235
08-22-2011, 08:40 PM
I dont like all this injury talk

CardAmbassador
08-23-2011, 12:06 AM
http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/lamar/article/Prewitt-not-the-only-injured-Lamar-QB-2136382.php

CardAmbassador
08-27-2011, 05:44 PM
Johnson completed 7 of 10 passes for 100 yards. Prewitt, in for 17 snaps, completed 4 of 6 passes for 66 yards. The only other quarterback in the scrimmage, redshirt freshman Caleb Berry, completed 1 of 4 for 3 yards and was the victim of two drops.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/lamar/article/QBs-Johnson-Prewitt-lead-TD-drives-in-scrimmage-2144036.php

CardAmbassador
08-27-2011, 08:47 PM
So who's your favorite to start against Texas College? In my opinion Bevil is now out because he has been sidelined too long. I'm going to go ahead and say Prewitt starts but that doesn't mean he sees the majority of the snaps, They could very well go with JJ after the first quarter and he might steal the show.

Still Prewitt had good numbers for how much PT he got. Only had the opportunity to throw 6 times however.

CardinalClaw
08-27-2011, 09:28 PM
I would of said Prewitt too a couple of weeks ago but now I'm going to say Johnson. I think this pass week really help him an now I can see some separation in this QB battle. Johnson has really improved from just a week ago an I would like to see how much more he improves with a entire week taking snaps with the first team.( That is if he is named the #1)

LU4LIFE
08-27-2011, 10:02 PM
With Johnson taking most of the snaps with the first team in today's scrimmage, and him playing as well as he did i'm going to have to go with Johnson to start against Texas College. But with that said I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit if Prewitt started the game off.