PDA

View Full Version : Coleman to move from Defensive end to Linebacker

BigRed2010
08-02-2011, 08:13 PM
http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/2011/08/02/coleman-to-move-from-defensive-end-to-linebacker/

coachacola
08-02-2011, 08:37 PM
Woodard is trying to make the defense bigger and better than last year:

The move puts Darby Jackson at right defensive end and elevates Jesse Dickson to starting left defensive end, Woodard said. Asim Hicks, a strong-side linebacker last season, will play all three linebacker positions, Woodard said.

Lamar can put a bigger defensive lineup on the field by putting the 6-foot-3, 250-pound Coleman at linebacker.

“I felt sometimes we needed a little bigger lineup on the field,” Woodard said. “Jacody is a decent size end and he would be a pretty good sized linebacker. There are times when we need to get heavy up front as well. We’ll sub to do that. We’re just looking at things we can do to make ourselves better.”

CardinalClaw
08-02-2011, 08:40 PM
This is a interesting move by Woodard and I like it.

CardAmbassador
08-02-2011, 08:45 PM
IMO this is a really smart move, Both Dickson and Darby Jackson are good enough to hold down the DE position, but then they have relief in Marcus Malbrough and Blake Chavis, two people that are likely good DE's too.

IMO with this move our defensive ends and line backers now have a very good 2 deep rotation that will make us strong against runs to the outside or up the middle and any short throws (TE or slot receiver)

Line Backers:
Asim Hicks
J. Ekpe
Jacody Coleman
Anthony Beard

Defensive Ends:
Marcus Malbrough
Jesse Dickson
Darby Jackson
Blake Chavis

Now if Adren Dorsey can get some help on the D line then I will feel alot better about the defensive line of scrimmage.

We have some good defensive backs but at times last year we really got busted wide open in the secondary. The secondary will be the number one thing to watch for me.

Glad to see Woodard making some smart position moves.

bigred360
08-02-2011, 08:46 PM
IMO, that is a great move by Coach Woodard as this (LB) is move of back to Coleman's natural position.

This means he isn't just on one end but in the middle of the defense in our 4-2-5 scheme and can go sideline to sideline.

I predict he will be All-SLC at LB.

CA, I agree with you in part about our secondary. IMO, we are pretty good. If you give any team over 4 seconds to pass the ball it's going to make it tough on the secondary.

IMO, the best pass defense is a strong pass rush.

LU4LIFE
08-02-2011, 11:37 PM
I love this move mainly for the reason BR360 stated "Coleman's natural position" IMO he will be more beneficial to us at LB then at DE.