PDA

View Full Version : Long Time Astros Broadcaster Milo Hamilton Dies Today

eagle eye
09-17-2015, 01:42 PM
Just got a flash from Bleacher Report that said that Milo Hamilton passed away today at age 88. This comes less than two weeks after another long time Astros broadcaster Gene Elston died on Sept 5 at age 93. Astros.com has an article about Milo's passing which is linked below. I have to say I'm sad to hear this news because I liked Milo as a broadcaster. I remember him calling games with Larry Dierker for years before Dierker became manager of the Astros. It was always Milo urging fans to join him and "The Wrangler" Larry Dierker for the next Astros broadcast. Milo was also involved in many famous calls in MLB history is his long and storied career as a broadcaster. Sleep well Milo, you will be missed.

http://m.astros.mlb.com/news/article/150122950/broadcaster-milo-hamilton-dies

KABrother88
09-18-2015, 03:11 AM
I had to take a moment and sit back for a moment and reflect when I saw the news. Milo to me was one of those guys that you didn't know but felt like you did. Obviously being from a younger crowd I caught the end of his storied career but my summers we still filled with Holy Toledo's. I also felt he was one of the very few radio broadcasters that could give listener visuals of games through audio. On the call for so many historic events in his career including Biggio's 3,000th Hit, Nolan Ryan's 4000th Strikout, 9 No-Hitters, but his most iconic call is, and will always be calling Hank Aaron's 715th HR to pass Babe Ruth for the "then" Home Run record.

eagle eye
09-19-2015, 10:14 AM
I know none of the players on this team has any history or inkling of who Milo was but before the game last night there was a tribute to Milo that featured Milo's son. It was touching to see the MH patch on the player's uniforms that will be worn for the remainder of the season and the announcer's booth at Minute Maid Park was named after Milo including a plaque on the wall under the booth. It's too bad the players weren't more inspired to play decent baseball for Milo. I can just hear Milo say Hoooohoo-holy Toledo is this team bad right now. Milo deserved better than these Astros are giving right now.