PDA

View Full Version : Told you so.

CS
11-08-2015, 08:26 AM
Hello friends. I've been saying for years now that Lamar needs to fire Coach Woodard. I've been screaming from the top of my lungs that we need VISION. I've been mocked, ridiculed and slammed. You're all blinded by your love and passion.
Lamar needs a CHANGE and they need it right now. Don't wait until the end of the season, do it now.

why not go out and get an upstart coach with some fire?
Kendall Briles anyone? He's over there in Waco running an offense that leads the nation in FBS.
Go get Briles before someone else is smart enough to do it.
Get ANYONE that can run an offense with a pulse. If this team didn't have Kade, we'd be a true dumpster fire. I'm not really sure we aren't anyway.
Pathetic.

KABrother88
11-08-2015, 08:42 AM
Hello friends. I've been saying for years now that Lamar needs to fire Coach Woodard. I've been screaming from the top of my lungs that we need VISION. I've been mocked, ridiculed and slammed. You're all blinded by your love and passion.
Lamar needs a CHANGE and they need it right now. Don't wait until the end of the season, do it now.

Kendall Briles anyone? He's over there in Waco running an offense that leads the nation in FBS.
Get ANYONE that can run an offense with a pulse. If this team didn't have Kade, we'd be a true dumpster fire. I'm not really sure we aren't anyway.
Pathetic.

No offense but Kendall Briles ain't coming to Lamar...hell hang out under his daddy's shadow until either Kendall gets the right power 5 gig or daddy calls it good and hands Baylor over.

cardinal
11-08-2015, 10:28 PM

Pathetic.

I thought you you were the guy preaching how we wouldn't be able to recruit? As far as our offense is concerned, the fact is WE DO have Kade and we'd be CRAZY not to use him. We have the sixth best scoring offense in the nation so, while running is boring, it works for us this season. And when Kade is running I'd have to take back the boring part. The kid is a fantastic running back and every time he touches the ball he's a legitimate threat to go the distance. As far as Ray....he's a likable guy, seems to be getting some pretty good recruits, so I don't know. I may be a fool but I'm still semi on the fence with him. I hate to stem the recruiting tide we seem to have going but if we are going to continue to be mid to bottom tier I say adios to him.

cardinal
11-08-2015, 10:29 PM
No offense but Kendall Briles ain't coming to Lamar...hell hang out under his daddy's shadow until either Kendall gets the right power 5 gig or daddy calls it good and hands Baylor over.

Ditto

CS
11-09-2015, 12:09 PM
Ok Kendall won't come. You have to at least ASK. You can't stick with what you have right now and you can't just go out and hire a nobody. Go get SOMEONE who can turn this thing around. Lamar is a sinking ship. Headed right for the record I predicted.

LAZEEK
11-09-2015, 12:55 PM
There is ZERO CHANCE that Kendall Briles comes to Lamar. There is ZERO CHANCE that any Big 12 or any other Power 5 Offensive Coordinator comes to LU. Lamar cannot afford them to start with. Kendall makes 3 times what Ray makes here at Lamar. Just not possible.

puddin tane
11-09-2015, 01:52 PM

Pathetic.

I've been wanting Woodard gone for a 2 years. I don't have the Dauphines money, so i can't get rid of him. If we wouldn't have screwed up and beat McNeese, he'd be gone.

I said it last year, TAMU Commerce and Delta St have good young coaches AND good programs. I think I'd rather have a guy with HC experience. Although, I gotta check and see if they pass enough.

Clean house

CS
11-09-2015, 01:58 PM
There is ZERO CHANCE that Kendall Briles comes to Lamar. There is ZERO CHANCE that any Big 12 or any other Power 5 Offensive Coordinator comes to LU. Lamar cannot afford them to start with. Kendall makes 3 times what Ray makes here at Lamar. Just not possible.

You're right. If you don't at least ask, the chance is ZERO. Until then, you never really know. Lamar needs to open the checkbook for someone. A consistently winning football program would bring in enough money to help offset costs if you make the right hire. If you stick with the same, you'll never be able to afford anyone. Ever.

But that closed minded SETX attitude of "zero chance" is going to send this program into complete obscurity. People want to see Lamar do well. People want to support a GOOD program. No one wants to show up to that old filthy stadium and watch them lose to teams like Nichols State.

KABrother88
11-09-2015, 02:23 PM
I've been wanting Woodard gone for a 2 years. I don't have the Dauphines money, so i can't get rid of him. If we wouldn't have screwed up and beat McNeese, he'd be gone.

I said it last year, TAMU Commerce and Delta St have good young coaches AND good programs. I think I'd rather have a guy with HC experience. Although, I gotta check and see if they pass enough.

Clean house

TAMU-C is sitting at 8-2 (6-0 in conference) this season with losses coming from Sam Houston at the aforementioned Delta St...they average 32 pass attempts a game and 277 y/g.

Delta St. went 5-5 (1-5 in conference) this year. They averaged 41 attempts for 298 yards a game although it looks like they might have had some QB injuries/trouble this season as 2 guys threw 174 passes or more.

LAZEEK
11-09-2015, 02:35 PM
You're right. If you don't at least ask, the chance is ZERO. Until then, you never really know. Lamar needs to open the checkbook for someone. A consistently winning football program would bring in enough money to help offset costs if you make the right hire. If you stick with the same, you'll never be able to afford anyone. Ever.

But that closed minded SETX attitude of "zero chance" is going to send this program into complete obscurity. People want to see Lamar do well. People want to support a GOOD program. No one wants to show up to that old filthy stadium and watch them lose to teams like Nichols State.

I for one would love to have Briles here.....just know it is not gonna happen. The money is not there.

And how do you expect LU to afford a big time coach? Do you show up to every game, are you a donor to the program, are you a member of the Cardinal Club? Or are you the type of guy that just sits back and bitches about everything that is wrong with LU. Be a part of the solution......not the problem!!!

CS
11-09-2015, 02:45 PM
I have a solution. According to you, we shouldn't even ask. Not a single person in this area has what it takes. VISION.
Look beyond the "he will never come" or "we will never do that" and just do it. Make it happen.

VISION.

LAZEEK
11-09-2015, 02:58 PM
I have a solution. According to you, we shouldn't even ask. Not a single person in this area has what it takes. VISION.
Look beyond the "he will never come" or "we will never do that" and just do it. Make it happen.

VISION.

So how much can I guarantee Lamar that you will donate to the school? Million, 2 Million? Let me know.

coachacola
11-09-2015, 03:36 PM
So how much can I guarantee Lamar that you will donate to the school? Million, 2 Million? Let me know.

CS doesn't respond to those questions. Lamar is just suppose to "magically" have the money to pay for a big time coach.

LAZEEK
11-09-2015, 04:24 PM
CS why don't you contact Jason Henderson at Lamar and give him some advice on what to do with the football program. Clearly you have all the answers!!! Only problem is you continue to bash Ray and Lamar Football and hide behind a screen name on the message board. Come on, I will meet you at Lamar to meet with the AD.

cardinal
11-09-2015, 08:17 PM
I for one would love to have Briles here.....just know it is not gonna happen. The money is not there.

And how do you expect LU to afford a big time coach? Do you show up to every game, are you a donor to the program, are you a member of the Cardinal Club? Or are you the type of guy that just sits back and bitches about everything that is wrong with LU. Be a part of the solution......not the problem!!!

Ahhh, you've hit on one of my big pet peeves! If you go to the games, bitch all you want. If you're wearing your high school letter jacket or ur Aggie jersey and are going to all their games acting like you're an aggie alum and you don't go to LU games, SHUT THE HELL UP!!

oldrock
11-15-2015, 06:27 PM
Just another person that thinks they know the solution to a problem. My question to them is "how much coaching experience do you have at the college level?". I have none myself so I leave it to the ones that actually know what they are doing, those men are called "Coach".

LUSportsFan
11-16-2015, 11:09 AM

Credibility disappeared with the "...that old filthy stadium..." comment. When attempting to make a point, it is better to use supportable statements. It was tough sitting in the rain at the Nicholls State game Saturday. It was even worse driving back to Houston after the game to find the interstate down to one lane setting up for some nighttime construction. :)

I think opening the checkbook would be a good thing, but funds to keep that checking account from being overdrawn are needed first. I'm very thankful that we have large donors who have supported the athletics programs in the past, but the donor base needs to be increased. We can't put it all on the backs of the large donors.

We all want improvements to the program. One way to help that along it to become part of the solution. Every bit helps.

As others have noted, one way to start is joining the Cardinal Club. The primary use of Cardinal Club donations is athletic scholarships. That helps to free up other funds for program improvement. It's easy to get started. The lowest tax deductible donation level with benefits is $50.00. That's not a high hurdle. For example, my wife and I missed $50.00 by $15.00 at our favorite Mexican restaurant yesterday. Below is a link to the 2014 brochure. The current donation levels are the same...at least they were when we renewed our membership for this season.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/lama/sports/cardinal-club/auto_pdf/2014-15/misc_non_event/cardinal-club.pdf

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5e/Provost_Umphrey_Stadium_-_View_of_west_side_seating.jpg/800px-Provost_Umphrey_Stadium_-_View_of_west_side_seating.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/49/Provost_Umphrey_Stadium_-_Murals_on_covered_concourse.JPG/800px-Provost_Umphrey_Stadium_-_Murals_on_covered_concourse.JPG

(http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/lama/sports/cardinal-club/auto_pdf/2014-15/misc_non_event/cardinal-club.pdf)30 Minutes before the game

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b1/Provost_Umphrey_Stadium_-_toward_the_Dauphin_Athletic_Complex_30_minutes_be fore_game_time.JPG/800px-Provost_Umphrey_Stadium_-_toward_the_Dauphin_Athletic_Complex_30_minutes_be fore_game_time.JPG

CS
11-16-2015, 01:22 PM
Noble response and I'm glad you found some nice "clean" photos of the stadium. It's lipstick on a pig in my opinion. The scoreboard is nice. The field is nice. It's been there FOREVER. It went unused for years. I'm not going to say we need to add seats because we obviously don't but upgrades could be made, or a new stadium could be built. How do you know I don't donate? Don't assume.
I'll be in my seat this weekend once again..... waiting for VISION. You can keep closing your eyes and saying "everything is going to be ok"....

PATHETIC!!!!

eagle eye
11-16-2015, 01:43 PM
How about this? Maybe we need a better defensive coordinator. Somebody who can utilize the recruits we have to actually be able to defend the pass without giving up 200+ yards on the ground? Lamar's run defense wasn't bad until adjustments had to be made to stop teams from passing us to death. The program had it's first winning season last year and beating McNeese wasn't a bad thing and it won't be a bad thing if we do it again on Saturday. We lost 3 games in the last month because the defense couldn't stop anyone but the offense is okay. How can I say that? How about this? Lamar, beginning with Week 1 to Week 10 we have scored in order - 66, 31, 49, 27, 44, 35, 17, 55, 28, 28. 17 points is the lowest total of the season? I'm having trouble understanding what the problem is with the offense. Lamar scored more points against Baylor than most of it's FBS opponents were able to. Rice scored 17, Kansas 7, Iowa State 27 and Kansas State 24 and Lamar scored 31. The Baylor game was a 2 score game until the last half of the 4th quarter when Lamar just got tired. The depth of Baylor just wore us out. Also, Baylor went for it on 4th downs when the game was out of reach to put more points on the board. I kind of had a problem with that. We have an interim DC for the last game and we could use a fresh mind who can put a better defense on the field but I disagree with the notion that Lamar has a bad offense. Kade Harrington is the bell cow for our offense and he certainly isn't the first RB to carry a team and he won't be the last. Lamar has fought like hell in every single game but they just didn't play defense very well. I think Ray is not so bad after all and the people I saw in the stands on a cold and rainy night when we played Nicholls not to mention the many who left at halftime say that we are getting better all the time. Now, for a person who is dead set against Coach Ray nothing I can say will matter. In fact I expect that I will be classified as one who lacks vision. Okay. I lack vision. I take exception to the phrase "dirty old stadium". A lot of time and money has gone into the improvements to Cardinal Stadium and I think it was money well spent. Did anyone see where UIW plays it's games? PN-G and Nederland have better facilities. In fact, Lamar's stadium is one of the best in the SLC.
As for Kendall Briles. Is it his offense at Baylor? No. It's his old man's offense. Art Briles has succeeded everywhere he's been going all the way back to his high school gig at Stephenville. Kendall was his QB then not his coordinator. I saw a mention on the web that he, Kendall, was being considered for a job at Maryland. That is a Big 10 school BTW with a lot more money and resources than Lamar could ever hope to complete with. Also, Kendall was suspended for one game this season for recruiting violations. The "visionary" people also have to have a practical side. They also need to face reality. No, it doesn't hurt to ask if a guy is interested but don't be surprised when he says no. Another thing, sometimes the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence. Woodard is a man with college and pro football experience and you can be that Lamar is a not the final destination in his coaching career. But, he's not going anywhere if he doesn't win. He's a competitive person and he wants to win and he can see his defense isn't playing up to snuff. I have no problem with him getting a new DC, maybe a visionary guy who can take advantage of the talent on hand.

coachacola
11-16-2015, 01:56 PM
Noble response and I'm glad you found some nice "clean" photos of the stadium. It's lipstick on a pig in my opinion. The scoreboard is nice. The field is nice. It's been there FOREVER. It went unused for years. I'm not going to say we need to add seats because we obviously don't but upgrades could be made, or a new stadium could be built. How do you know I don't donate? Don't assume.
I'll be in my seat this weekend once again..... waiting for VISION. You can keep closing your eyes and saying "everything is going to be ok"....

PATHETIC!!!!

Every single time that question is asked you don't respond. Even with that answer you haven't said that you donate. You consistently refuse to answer the question and then tell us not to assume you don't? You're not someone to be taken seriously.

CS
11-16-2015, 02:36 PM
Heads in the sand. Heads in the sand.

LUSportsFan
11-16-2015, 03:30 PM

PATHETIC!!!!
There are a bunch more photos. :) I shoot pictures just about every game (except for rain games). As for the stadium, $30+ million in renovation and athletic center can go a long way. The amount of work done at the stadium is hardly "lipstick on a pig". In my opinion, it was money well spent. The stadium is well set up for an expansion if the demand requires it. I personally would like to see that demand sooner than later.

As a ballpark estimate, the facility linked below is about the same size as the Dauphin Athletic Complex. Its cost was $10 million. Assuming construction costs in Georgia and Texas are similar, that would leave over $20 million in the actual Provost Umphrey stadium renovation. That's a whole lot of lipstick.

http://gseagles.com/sports/2013/8/15/FB_0815131807.aspx?id=43

Actually, the field has not been there forever. It was part of the stadium renovation in 2009-2010. The stadium has been around since 1964, but it "has good bones". The things that needed to be upgraded were. The old field house needed to go. It went. The shell coverings and open concessions needed to go. They went. The outdated restroom facilities needed to go. They went. Seats were replaced. The renovation included work to make the stadium compliant for regulations passed after the original construction. Several renovations at other stadiums and facilities I've looked at got around that by leaving a small separation between existing structures and new structures. Actions to get around the new regulations would have been a shortcut in my opinion. I'm glad that was not done at Provost Umphrey.

Prairie View A&M is spending $60 million to build a new 16,000 seat stadium (same size as PUS). It looks like that stadium will be nice, but I'd prefer to not be "house poor" with a lot of debt just so we could have something brand new from the ground up. That's one of the reasons I was in favor of the decision Lamar made to renovate instead of build new.

The comments about donations and Cardinal Club were not directed at anyone negatively. If you donate, that's great!!! I just think the donor base needs to increase. If a fan feels like funds for donations aren't available or just isn't inclined to donate, that's fine with me. To be truthful, it took my wife and me several years to decide to donate to athletics. (We've donated to our universities and other things we've wanted to support, but drew the line at athletics for years.) The thing that pushed us over was that the donations go primarily to support scholarships. That is one thing that both of can support. In the meantime, just getting more fans to the games will go a long way. We need more of each to achieve any kind of vision. The more, the merrier.

------------------

As a comparison, here are some pictures I took of another Division I FCS stadium. It was built in 1995. I thought the "home side" of the stadium in this picture was nice, but it is small. The stadium in the pictures seats around 8,500 vs PUS capacity of 16,000. I'm glad we have what we have. It serves our current purposes well.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/de/Northern_Colorado_Bears_-_Nottingham_Field_main_stands_picture_number_1.JPG/800px-Northern_Colorado_Bears_-_Nottingham_Field_main_stands_picture_number_1.JPG

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/38/Northern_Colorado_Bears_-_Nottingham_Field_visitors_side_picture_number_3.J PG/800px-Northern_Colorado_Bears_-_Nottingham_Field_visitors_side_picture_number_3.J PG

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9a/Northern_Colorado_Bears_-_Nottingham_Field_scoreboard.JPG/800px-Northern_Colorado_Bears_-_Nottingham_Field_scoreboard.JPG

jlh
11-16-2015, 03:30 PM
How about this? Maybe we need a better defensive coordinator. Somebody who can utilize the recruits we have to actually be able to defend the pass without giving up 200+ yards on the ground? Lamar's run defense wasn't bad until adjustments had to be made to stop teams from passing us to death. The program had it's first winning season last year and beating McNeese wasn't a bad thing and it won't be a bad thing if we do it again on Saturday. We lost 3 games in the last month because the defense couldn't stop anyone but the offense is okay. How can I say that? How about this? Lamar, beginning with Week 1 to Week 10 we have scored in order - 66, 31, 49, 27, 44, 35, 17, 55, 28, 28. 17 points is the lowest total of the season? I'm having trouble understanding what the problem is with the offense. Lamar scored more points against Baylor than most of it's FBS opponents were able to. Rice scored 17, Kansas 7, Iowa State 27 and Kansas State 24 and Lamar scored 31. The Baylor game was a 2 score game until the last half of the 4th quarter when Lamar just got tired. The depth of Baylor just wore us out. Also, Baylor went for it on 4th downs when the game was out of reach to put more points on the board. I kind of had a problem with that. We have an interim DC for the last game and we could use a fresh mind who can put a better defense on the field but I disagree with the notion that Lamar has a bad offense.

Lamar's offense is ranked second in the conference behind SAM.

I think that the lack of offensive productivity that you note is due to two factors: Turnovers and time of possession. The 17 point game against Central Arkansas we turned the ball over 5 times as I recall, plus we could not stop their grind it out run game. They won the turnover battle and the time of possession battle. Therefore, just 17 points.

The good news is that the defense played great last week. Langley got the Southland Defensive player of the week award and the run defense was outstanding.

coachacola
11-16-2015, 04:00 PM
Heads in the sand. Heads in the sand.

Blah blah blah. You're all talk when LU does bad then you go hide under your rock when they're doing good.

baller
11-18-2015, 08:32 PM
Lamar is the most penalized team in the conference so we need to do better in that category Saturday.