PDA

View Full Version : First Football Practice Updates

BRI Staff
08-04-2011, 07:26 PM
Coach Woodard and the Lamar Cardinals football team will hold their first practice tonight 7:30 P.M. at W.S. "Bud" Leonard Field.

We will be out there with two cameras and report on anything interesting we see.

Big T
08-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Who all is going to be out there?

CardinalClaw
08-04-2011, 10:37 PM
I will be heading out there in a little while.

BRI Staff
08-04-2011, 10:38 PM
I (CA) will be heading out there with camera and note pad in hand.

CardAmbassador
08-04-2011, 11:01 PM
I'm headed out now. Should see some of you there.

Big Red Represent!

Mike
08-04-2011, 11:03 PM
I'm headed for Beaumont. No rest for the weary. :)

bigred360
08-04-2011, 11:15 PM
Look forward to the pics and what you guys have to say about the team.

Mike
08-04-2011, 11:40 PM
I'm almost 100% certain that Anthony Oden is here on the sideline.

lcm2007ms
08-04-2011, 11:45 PM

Snap a pic!

TBonesLU
08-04-2011, 11:47 PM

Here is a link to his picture. Is this who you see?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/arkansas/football/recruiting/player-Anthony-Oden-46364

bigred360
08-04-2011, 11:50 PM
Dang, don't just take a pic. Talk to the man. Tell him how great this team would be with him here. Then Coach Woodard has a lot of contacts around the country including NFL scouts.;)

Mike
08-04-2011, 11:54 PM
Standing 5 feet from Oden. I'll try to talk with him if the timing is right.

bigred360
08-04-2011, 11:54 PM

Here is a link to his picture. Is this who you see?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/arkansas/football/recruiting/player-Anthony-Oden-46364

Scout had him as a 4 star recruit in 2008.

Mike
08-05-2011, 12:06 AM
It is Oden.

Asked about LU.

"Not talking right now."

But he is here.

TBonesLU
08-05-2011, 12:08 AM
It is Oden.

Asked about LU.

"Not talking right now."

But he is here.

Hmm...I hope he's just shy or has been told to say that.

bigred360
08-05-2011, 12:13 AM
Hey, I hope he wasn't rude but thanks for attempting to talk with him.

Mike
08-05-2011, 12:19 AM
The way Oden is involved with the o-line guys IMO (just opinion) he's not just here to visit.

Big T
08-05-2011, 12:26 AM
I wasn't able to make it tonight so what time do they practice tomorrow and who is going to be there?

bigred360
08-05-2011, 12:31 AM
I wasn't able to make it tonight so what time do they practice tomorrow and who is going to be there?

Friday night at 7:30 and Saturday morning at 9:00. There is a schedule posted on this forum of the practice and scrimmage schedule.

TBonesLU
08-05-2011, 12:31 AM
The way Oden is involved with the o-line guys IMO (just opinion) he's not just here to visit.

I applaud you. Great reporting!

coachacola
08-05-2011, 12:34 AM
Seeing Oden there is great news. I'm guessing he's not saying a word until it's official.

BRI Staff
08-05-2011, 12:38 AM
Preferred walkons are here and practicing. Colby Carpenter said he is red shirting.

BRI Staff
08-05-2011, 12:42 AM
Kevin Smith is working out with the WRs

Doug has the biggest arm out of the potential starters.

Bevil throwing very well.

lu cards
08-05-2011, 12:58 AM
thanks for the updates.this is big time(big 12)type coverage.

bigredfan2
08-05-2011, 02:01 AM
Mary Kovtun, the new WBB player from Russia was at the practice and took some pictures of the practice and posted on facebook. She says she has not seen American football and is excited to see the game. She has some great photos.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Mahler
08-05-2011, 02:04 AM
Few thoughts from watching practice tonight:

1. Jeremy Johnson has a strong arm! When they were throwing the deep passes, everyone's passes were being lobbed but JJ's were bullets going just as far as the other QB's.

2. Forney looked really rusty. I never saw the kid play in high school, but he was throwing short passes that were hitting the ground in front of the receivers. (Also Caleb Berry does not look 6-3 but that could be because the OL looked huge!!! and I like that!)

3. Our punters are TERRIBLE!!! There was one guy who had a couple in a row that were nice, but then would shank three in a row. This has me worried! We cannot be losing the field position game and expect to do well in the Southland Conference. This was a little disappointing.

4. Good to see Oden in there - hope this means he is here to stay! Also Dan Campbell is a BIG dude. Overheard the offensive line coach telling Dan that he saw him eat the weight of a small baby in french fries tonight. I believe it!

It was fun and I can't wait for the season to start! Go Cards!

LU4LIFE
08-05-2011, 02:15 AM
I have to agree with Mahler the punting was disappointing and Forney was very rusty, but other than that not a bad first practice.

BRI Staff
08-05-2011, 02:43 AM
BEAUMONT - Lamar University officially opened the 2011 football season Thursday evening at Provost Umphrey Stadium with a two-hour practice in front of several onlookers.

Working out in helmets and no pads, the Cardinals did station work for the start of practice. After doing position work, Lamar did some seven-on-seven drills as the coaching staff looks to install the offense, defense and special teams.

"We are well ahead of last year at this time, but we'll have to be to accomplish what we need to," said second-year head coach Ray Woodard. "We obviously have more experience coming into this season than last, but that also means that expectations are higher."

The quarterback position will prove to be hotly contested this fall, as it was in the spring, with three primary players fighting for the position. Senior Andre Bevil, sophomore Doug Prewitt and freshman transfer Jeremy Johnson all took reps with the first unit.

"It looked a lot like it did when we finished spring with three guys that can really play the position," Woodard said. "We had a couple others who also looked sharp under center, but that's a good problem to have."

LINK: http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080411aaa.html

CardAmbassador
08-05-2011, 03:21 AM
I had a great time tonight out at practice I got to see alot and we were a little rusty at times but overall things went pretty well for it being the first day.

I secured 2 exclusive interviews and 1 other interview which was a piggie back. I have about 100 photos and a few turned out really well. The interviews are video and I will email them and the photos to the Admin tonight so that we can have this story up for you guys tomorrow.

I have a feeling you guys are going to impressed. LU Cards said it earlier, this is big time coverage, that's because LU is big time!

Go Big Red!

CardAmbassador
08-05-2011, 03:47 AM
Here is a little preview of some pictures.

The always beautiful EndZone Angels
C:fakepathDSC01352.JPG

I think this is Venson
C:fakepathDSC01357.JPG

The big man Dan Campbell
C:fakepathDSC01444.JPG

JJ with the first team
C:fakepathDSC01529.JPG

Check back tomorrow for far more photos and exclusive video interviews.

CardAmbassador
08-05-2011, 03:50 AM
Here is a little preview of some pictures.

The always beautiful EndZone Angels
DSC01352.JPG

The big man Dan Campbell
DSC01357.JPG

I think this is Venson
DSC01444.JPG

JJ with the first team
DSC01529.JPG

Check back tomorrow for far more photos and exclusive video interviews.

CardinalClaw
08-05-2011, 04:07 AM
OK here is my take:

The QB competition is defiantly going to be a fun one to watch, Prewitt an Johnson both performed very well an Bevil wasn't that far behind. Prewitt an Bevil can both chunk the ball down field but like Mahler said Johnson can just line drive it down there, his arm strength was impressive to me. An like a couple of other people have said Forney was really rusty.

What can I say about Campbell, HUGH might be a understatement. He has very good feet an he gets off the line really well, especially for someone his size. The OL was doing a drill an I didn't think the guy going up against him was going to be able to move Campbell.

I didn't get to see the defense practice except for the secondary a little bit an they look good I really like the new coach from UTEP.

An lastly I hope Oden liked what he was seeing because he is a big man, Campbell an Oden would be a great duo on that OL.

CardAmbassador
08-05-2011, 04:21 AM
Enterprise Notes:

– Harrison Tatum is back at quarterback. He moved from quarterback to defensive back during last season and played on defense in the spring. Woodard said Tatum asked to be moved back to quarterback. Tatum, a redshirt sophomore, played quarterback at Port Neches-Groves.

– Kevin Smith is now a wide receiver. Woodard said Smith’s shoulder isn’t healthy enough for him to play quarterback after he underwent shoulder surgery nearly a year ago. Smith played through shoulder soreness as a quarterback in the spring. Smith showed good hands Monday.

To READ ALL: http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/2011/08/04/lamar-qbs-share-load-at-first-practice/