PDA

View Full Version : 10 Thoughts from tonight's Practice

Mike
08-05-2011, 02:33 AM
1. QB's they had 6 suited out tonight I think. Harrison Tatum, Dionte Forney, Doug Prewitt, Jeremy Johnson, Andre Bevil adn Caleb Berry. Bevil, Prewitt and Johnson got the majority of the snaps. I thought all three looked good with Bevil connecting on some beautiful deep passes. I didnt see Tatum take a snap and don't know why he was in the green jersey.

2. The WR core is good. Those guys can make it look easy.

3. I expect the running game to be much improved. Garrett looks to be the real deal.

4. The O-line is big and could be getting bigger if Anthony Oden was there to do more than visit. Oden is huge and pairing him and Campbell at the tackle positions gives LU 2 guys that were 4-star rated guys out of HS starting. Remember that Oden was a projected starter at Arkansas and Campbell was a USC commit out of HS. Forget FCS that duo could be as good as anyone. Obviously this would help the running game along with the new RB's

5. If Oden enrolls Coach Knight should be in his ear. :)

6. Decent turnout for the first practice. It could've been better on a nice, comfortable Thursday evening but the place wasnt empty.

7. Was told that Jeremy Johnson was only player to stay over for a voluntary workout. That's dedication I love to see.

8. If the ball hits JJ Hayes hands, he catches it.

9. Our defensive line will be a strength this season.

10. I am going to miss Thomas Horn. Thomas for all you regulars is "CardAmbassador" on our forum. He leaves tomorrow to become a fighting Texas Aggie graduate student. Thomas LOVES Lamar University and has played a major role in the early success of this website. He's gone above and beyond and I am very grateful for his help. If Lamar had fans with 1/2 his dedication our school would greatly benefit. Thanks again Thomas, and like I told you tonight, don't forget us little guys!

lu cards
08-05-2011, 02:40 AM
hate to see cardambassador go.guy has really done a lot for this site.

Mike
08-05-2011, 02:43 AM
hate to see cardambassador go.guy has really done a lot for this site.

maybe i should re-phrase. He'll still be on the board (according to him) but just not physically in SETX for a few years.

coachacola
08-05-2011, 02:48 AM
Jeremy Johnson was also a 4 star recruit out of high school so that's 3 4-star offensive players, not bad at all.

Although CardAmbassader will be up at College Station, hopefully he can keep contributing to BRI. He's got some good connections at Lamar.

CardAmbassador
08-05-2011, 02:57 AM
I wont be gone forever. I'll still post, but I'm going to be an EE grad student, I doubt I'll be on 5 hours a day like I am now.

And my connections have gotten better recently. ;) My academic sources very well developed and expect much more in the future on that front. It just might take a few years to really take advantage of them like I want. But don't worry we have time. :)

coach pm me with your email I got some more academic stuff I would like to talk about with you.

CardAmbassador
08-05-2011, 03:01 AM
I would like to add to the 10 thoughts. Now 11.

11. Defensive Backs Coach Allen Johnson was a great hire by Woodard, he is very professional and out of all the individual work outs with the player he seemed to be the most detailed with his players. He has a special way with him that you can't learn. He just knows how to get players to respond. I feel very good about the secondary after watching him work tonight.

BigRed98
08-05-2011, 07:26 AM
1. QB's they had 6 suited out tonight I think. Harrison Tatum, Dionte Forney, Doug Prewitt, Jeremy Johnson, Andre Bevil adn Caleb Berry. Bevil, Prewitt and Johnson got the majority of the snaps. I thought all three looked good with Bevil connecting on some beautiful deep passes. I didnt see Tatum take a snap and don't know why he was in the green jersey.

2. The WR core is good. Those guys can make it look easy.

3. I expect the running game to be much improved. Garrett looks to be the real deal.

4. The O-line is big and could be getting bigger if Anthony Oden was there to do more than visit. Oden is huge and pairing him and Campbell at the tackle positions gives LU 2 guys that were 4-star rated guys out of HS starting. Remember that Oden was a projected starter at Arkansas and Campbell was a USC commit out of HS. Forget FCS that duo could be as good as anyone. Obviously this would help the running game along with the new RB's

5. If Oden enrolls Coach Knight should be in his ear. :)

6. Decent turnout for the first practice. It could've been better on a nice, comfortable Thursday evening but the place wasnt empty.

7. Was told that Jeremy Johnson was only player to stay over for a voluntary workout. That's dedication I love to see.

8. If the ball hits JJ Hayes hands, he catches it.

9. Our defensive line will be a strength this season.

10. I am going to miss Thomas Horn. Thomas for all you regulars is "CardAmbassador" on our forum. He leaves tomorrow to become a fighting Texas Aggie graduate student. Thomas LOVES Lamar University and has played a major role in the early success of this website. He's gone above and beyond and I am very grateful for his help. If Lamar had fans with 1/2 his dedication our school would greatly benefit. Thanks again Thomas, and like I told you tonight, don't forget us little guys!

Does this make you feel better about our abilities against the running game this season?

bigred360
08-05-2011, 11:09 AM
Thanks for all the information CA and admin. You guys make this site special for LU and the athletic programs at Lamar.

CA, you really are going to be missed. I highly doubt anyone has the connections you do with the adminstration at Lamar and even some in the athletic department.

Best of luck in College Station and look forward to meeting you in person at one of the Lamar football games.

Lamar Pride
08-05-2011, 01:07 PM
Good luck with the move to College Station CA. You may not be physically in Beaumont, but we all know you will be here in spirit. I hope to get the chance to meet you at some of the games this year.

Okay, the Oden idea for Coach Knight could be awesome. He could give the basketball team another big guy to contribute some minutes without taking up a basketball scholarship.

NorthoftheBorder
08-05-2011, 01:40 PM
Elaborate on why the D-Line is a strength? Also, if someone can get their hands on a depth chart and post it that would be nice.

Mike
08-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Elaborate on why the D-Line is a strength? Also, if someone can get their hands on a depth chart and post it that would be nice.

Maybe "strength" was too strong of a word to use but I think Dorsey and the returners all having a year under their belts, and also adding another guy from the Big 12, Marcus Malbrough into the mix makes them solid. Coach Woodard obviously felt strong enough about the D-line (likely his specialty) to move Coleman to LB so he must feel pretty secure in what he has on the line. I also think the year of conditioning and weight gain will help not only the D-line but the entire team. Dorsey and Malbrough both looked imposing in pads last night.

CardAmbassador
08-05-2011, 11:21 PM
I would add Blake Chavis to this, I was really impressed with him and Marcus they seem to be about the same size and height. IMO our DE's will be the strength of the line. I don't know enough about the tackles besides Dorsey. I do think the DT's have gained from condition too.

If any of you went out to practices last year or stood next to any of the players you may remember some of their sizes. The most noticeable change to me was JJ Hayes as I mentioned in another thread. He was kind of skinny last year but he has filled out.