PDA

View Full Version : Lamar football fan's I have a question

bigred360
08-08-2011, 11:27 PM
Anthony Oden will be a red-shirt sophomore eligibility wise but he has been a college student for a few years. Remember, his brother is Greg Oden of the NBA.

What I'm getting at is he may want to live off campus in a house or apartment.

That would give Lamar another full-scholarship to give. I read in the Beaumont Enterprise we had 1.5 scholarships available.

If Oden just wants his tution, books and possible meal plan covered that leaves some money for another player.

What are some of your thoughts?

CardAmbassador
08-08-2011, 11:42 PM
If we have close to a full scholarship left to give lets get on it. But, I wonder how many kids out there are still trying to transfer to FCS this late in the game? Are there still some guys interested in transferring?

Positions I would like to see a new recruit come into: Defensive Tackle, Running Back, Safety.

Mr.KnowItAll
08-09-2011, 12:30 AM
Though I'm positive he isn't hurting for money, I'm sure he will still take his free scholarship and the living expenses he can put to his rent and save all of big brothers money.

coachacola
08-09-2011, 12:46 AM
From reading the other Lamar forum I don't think Oden will be living in a dorm. Hopefully he'll dedicate himself to football because this is probably his last chance if he wants to play in the NFL and make some big money.

CardAmbassador
08-09-2011, 03:04 AM
Though I'm positive he isn't hurting for money, I'm sure he will still take his free scholarship and the living expenses he can put to his rent and save all of big brothers money.

I'm pretty sure if he chooses to live off campus he will have to pay for his own living expenses.

From what I understand about athletic scholarships the university pays your way, but they don't just write a check for the cost of your education. They make the payments on your dorm or tuition themselves. The student-athletes don't handle any of that money.

EDIT: The point I'm making is since he has apparently chosen to live off-campus we will likely retain part of his scholarship money.

TBonesLU
08-09-2011, 03:13 AM

I'm pretty sure if he chooses to live off campus he will have to pay for his own living expenses.

From what I understand about athletic scholarships the university pays your way, but they don't just write a check for the cost of your education. They make the payments on your dorm or tuition themselves. The student-athletes don't handle any of that money.

That sounds dead-on accurate. The only way they would actually get a check or some form of money from a scholarship is if it is of the academic type. I have a good friend from the Communication Department who was a Mirabeau Scholar. Do you know how much they get?! Mirabeau Scholars get around $60k for an education that typically costs about $30k max (at Lamar). You read that right. That means when he and I would go to the horse track once or twice a month, I was betting with $20/night while he had probably $300. It was his to use as he pleased. Ah, to have applied one's self that much in high school...being in the second quarter doesn't get stuff like that. :P

CardAmbassador
08-09-2011, 03:17 AM

That sounds dead-on accurate. The only way they would actually get a check or some form of money from a scholarship is if it is of the academic type. I have a good friend from the Communication Department who was a Mirabeau Scholar. Do you know how much they get?! Mirabeau Scholars get around $60k for an education that typically costs about $30k max (at Lamar). You read that right. That means when he and I would go to the horse track once or twice a month, I was betting with $20/night while he had probably $300. It was his to use as he pleased. Ah, to have applied one's self that much in high school...being in the second quarter doesn't get stuff like that. :P

Yep, never understood why they give them all that extra cash. But, it's the donor who set up the scholarship choice to do so. I have lots of friends who were Mirabeau Scholars through Ambassadors and just Engineering in general.

Edit: I too was in the second quartile during school, not for lack of wits but for lack of caring. High School was so easy and I just really couldn't bring myself to try. I was one of only 7 AP Scholoars (people who passed more than 3 AP test) at my High School but they were all top 10 percent and I was hovering around the top 30% or so. :) :) B)