PDA

View Full Version : Preview: Wide Receivers

BRI Staff
08-12-2011, 02:31 PM
BEAUMONT - The numbers show that Lamar University's receiving game should be in good hands during the 2011 football season.

Those numbers reveal that the Cardinal wide receivers accounted for 76.0 percent of the team's 217 receptions and 89.6 percent of their 2,738 receiving yards. Further good news is that all of the Cardinals' starting wideouts from the 2010 season and their backups are returnees to the squad that is earnestly working toward their Sept. 3 season opener against Texas College.

Split end J.J. Hayes' 745 receiving yards last season were the fifth most in school history, and flanker Marucs Jackson's 727 yards were the seventh-highest figure. Hayes' 52 catches were the sixth most in school history, and Jackson's 41 grabs rank 12th.

FULL ARTICLE: http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/081211aaa.html

CardAmbassador
08-12-2011, 03:03 PM
There are some really talented players in this group of receivers. The great thing is that there are some very good sophomores (Ford) that are learning from the more experienced guys and should be able to help us as we lose 4 seniors at the WR position after this year.

lu cards
08-12-2011, 03:12 PM
kevin smith really stood out at practice the other day.tall kid and can run.

Mr.KnowItAll
08-13-2011, 12:57 AM

Great to hear that. He would be in the qb running but shoulder injuries made him change positions. Hope he can get on the field.

CardAmbassador
08-13-2011, 03:36 AM

Great to hear that. He would be in the qb running but shoulder injuries made him change positions. Hope he can get on the field.

He is our tallest WR. Maybe by using him and Hayes on the field at the same time against certain teams with shorter DB's we could take advantage of that height.

CardAmbassador
08-13-2011, 07:16 PM
He is just a freshman and I didn't get to watch him in practice but I was impressed with Davion Wolford (preferred Walk-on) He played QB in HS and looks fast on film, if he can catch he will be an asset to the team after the seniors are gone.

Keep an eye on him in practice next week.

bigred360
08-13-2011, 09:09 PM
Kevin Smith is listed at 6'4 and I read he ran a 4.6 forty in the spring. So, if he can catch I can we him in the rotation of WR's this year.

CardAmbassador
08-13-2011, 09:28 PM
Kevin Smith is listed at 6'4 and I read he ran a 4.6 forty in the spring. So, if he can catch I can we him in the rotation of WR's this year.

Here are the 40 times from the lift-a-thon.

Lift-A-Thon Results (http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/lama/genrel/auto_pdf/2011LiftAThonResults.pdf)

You're right 360, Kevin is by no means a slouch, I think he is quick enough that he will play a role immediately in the 2011 season. He is a QB so he knows routes and plays just as good as any receiver.