PDA

View Full Version : Lamar Defense with new looks

CardAmbassador
08-12-2011, 09:48 PM
“That will probably be the biggest difference in our defense from last year,” Woodard said. “We’ll try to match up. We’ll see different packages based on the offensive personnel. We won’t be in just a 4-3 or a 4-2-5. When they’re in four wides you’ll see more DBs on the field. When they’re in two tight ends and two backs, you’ll see more D-linemen and linebackers.”

http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/2011/08/12/lamar-defense-to-have-a-few-new-looks/

coachacola
08-12-2011, 09:56 PM
I don't expect any blowout losses this year. I think this says it all:

“This year we’re deeper,” Woodard added. “It affords us the opportunity to get more done. Last year, it was almost to the point in games we were playing anybody that was healthy.”

CardAmbassador
08-12-2011, 10:01 PM
I don't expect any blowout losses this year. I think this says it all:

“This year we’re deeper,” Woodard added. “It affords us the opportunity to get more done. Last year, it was almost to the point in games we were playing anybody that was healthy.”

I don't think other teams or fans realized just how little we were working with last year.

What I get out of this is that we were one dimensional last year on offense and defense. We have multiple dimensions to both units and special teams now. There is so much more possibility with this team. Just the fact that what team we play will dictate who is on the field means we're on a whole new level.

JJWooten
08-13-2011, 12:04 AM
“That will probably be the biggest difference in our defense from last year,” Woodard said. “We’ll try to match up. We’ll see different packages based on the offensive personnel. We won’t be in just a 4-3 or a 4-2-5. When they’re in four wides you’ll see more DBs on the field. When they’re in two tight ends and two backs, you’ll see more D-linemen and linebackers.”

http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/2011/08/12/lamar-defense-to-have-a-few-new-looks/

That's great and all, but that won't work against teams running no huddle offenses (like SFA). They can switch people around and make moves on the field that will leave the Cards stuck with a heavy set or all DBs.

I always like when teams have a solid, consistent D that can adapt to what's on the field, whether that means a DE standing up and becoming an OLB or an OLB shifting to cover a TE/WR.

Depth will be a big advantage to the Cards this season though, it always helps on the defensive side.

bigred360
08-13-2011, 12:15 AM
That is why the best defense is a great offense. Also, I think our base defense of 4-2-5 is pretty good and at the college level they stop play and the clock for each first down. So, changes can be made then. Also, the offense can't run a play until the defense is set. Just thought I'd throw out a NCAA rule which is also a rule at the HS level in Texas by the UIL.

Now, in the NFL a no huddle offense like the Colt's run is a nightmare for opposing defenses.

royallion05
08-13-2011, 01:16 AM
Also, the offense can't run a play until the defense is set. Just thought I'd throw out a NCAA rule which is also a rule at the HS level in Texas by the UIL.

That's not correct...the only time the offense has to wait on the defense is if the offense substitutes, the defense must be allowed to sub as well, as long as it's done immediately...if the offense stays with the same personnel, they can snap it as quickly as they want once the ball has been marked ready for play.

bigred360
08-13-2011, 01:39 AM
Wrong, that is why the ref stands over the ball. You think he does that for his health? Admit you are correct about the offense substitutes, the defense is allowed to do the same.

The clock stops with each first down and the Ref marks it ready once the players are set and the chains are moved into position for the next set of downs. Now, there can be substitution penalties if the ball is marked ready for play and defensive players are still running on the field once the ball is snapped.

So, the defensive changes have to be made immediately as you stated.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_the_college_football_clock_stop_after_every_f irst_down

ScreamingDeane
08-13-2011, 01:42 AM
Wrong, that is why the ref stands over the ball. You think he does that for his health? Admit you are correct about the offense substitutes, the defense is allowed to do the same.

The clock stops with each first down and the Ref marks it ready once the players are set. Now, there can be substitution penalties if the ball is marked ready for play and defensive players are still running on the field once the ball is snapped.

So, the defensive changes have to be made immediately as you stated.

I think the ref will stand over the ball but if the defense is jacking around he'll move once the play clock starts and they are free to snap the ball at any time. I've seen teams talking to their coach and the ref blow the whistle and back off ball and the offense trying to rush and snap it.

bigred360
08-13-2011, 01:50 AM
The offense can snap the ball once the referee blows the whistle to start the clock again.

royallion05
08-13-2011, 02:21 AM
The umpire stands over the ball only when the substitution rule is triggered by the referee, or when chains are being set after a first down...he does not wait on players to line up...on a first down, once the chains are set and play clock is started, the offense can snap the ball immediately and do not have to wait for the defense to get onsides or substitute, unless the offense substitutes.

If the point you're making is the defense can take advantage of the time it takes for the chains to be set and the referee to start the game clock, I don't disagree, but the umpire will not stay over the ball to allow defensive substitutions or to get lined up, he's merely waiting on the chains to be set.

bigred360
08-13-2011, 02:34 AM
The umpire stands over the ball only when the substitution rule is triggered by the referee, or when chains are being set after a first down...he does not wait on players to line up...on a first down, once the chains are set and play clock is started, the offense can snap the ball immediately and do not have to wait for the defense to get onsides or substitute, unless the offense substitutes.

That is the only situation I'm talking about. All other downs the offense can snap the ball asap after the ref sets the ball down and ready for play. The clock is not started until the Ref blows the whistle. Sorry, I don't make the rules.

If the defense can't get players on the field during this time you might look at time management.

Just looked at your edited post you made and yes that is the point I'm making. I was miss-spoke in that the Ref is waiting for the defense. That is why the changes (defense) need to be made immediately.

royallion05
08-13-2011, 02:42 AM
I'm not saying the offense can snap the ball before the game clock is started after a first down...you implied that after a first down, the referee and umpire will wait for the defense to get set before starting the game clock and backing away from the football...that is not the case. If that's not what you meant to imply, then I stand corrected.