PDA

View Full Version : The Sun Belt should think Big

PNG1992
08-13-2011, 12:21 PM
With all the latest conference realignment talk starting again with Texas A&M looking to bolt the Big 12 and rumors of "Super Conferences" forming heating up again it has me thinking about where it leaves the smaller conferences. It's always the big schools that alter the landscape of college football and the little guys are scrambling to take on the left overs. Why doesn't a conference like the Sun Belt not wait until the end and set the standard for a mini-mega-16 team conference? If that is what college footballs ultimate destiny then make an attempt at a legitimate 16-team conference that would be beneficial to all its members? I know they'll not pull a top tier big money program to the Belt but they can set the standard for the smaller conferences and leave the rest scrambling.

Maybe something like this:

Division #1

Pod 1
UNT
Texas State
UTSA
UT-A (if no D1 football ask SHSU)

Pod 2
Middle Tennessee St
Western Kentucky
Arkansas State
Eastern Kentucky (see if they can move up)

Division #2

Pod 1
Troy
South Alabama
FIU
FAU

Pod 2
ULL
ULM
La Tech
Lamar

Travel cost would be economical for all the teams and they would be taking action before dominoes fell and the WAC and other smaller conferences attempt to make moves after the dust settles. If they really wanted to think big they could throw their name into the hat for some bigger schools that may be forced to move due to the shuffle.

The point of this post is this will likely never happen but to dream big. Plus it should be a good topic for discussion.

jdcurran235
08-13-2011, 02:30 PM
I would be all for this especially if we could get a large TV contract, but this is not gonna happen.

Crawfish
08-13-2011, 03:22 PM
I think it is possibly that the Belt could expand in a year or so, but also could lose a member or two after the final shakedown. I do not see Eastern Tennessee as a potential member of the Belt. (politics involving current members) It is possible the Belt might invite La Tech and/or NMSU back. As far as FBS football newbies, this could happen, but right now the SBC would prefer to avoid this if possible until USA and WKU are better established in FBS football. Of course if ULM were to drop down, this would create an opening that possibly could be filled by a current FCS team.

Here are some things that could shake up the Belt in a Conference realignment:

1. If USU received an invitation to join the MWC, I believe this would be the nail in the coffin for the WAC, which would motivate LA Tech and NMSU to seek membership the Belt. (Actually I think the WAC would still exist as a non-football conference.)

2. Possible C-USA candidates from the Belt: FIU, UMT, UNT and WKU. Losing any one or more of these schools would require that the Belt expand, and if number 1 did not happen, the expansion could probably involve current FCS member.

3. From what I have heard, these are some of the FCS teams that have been mentioned for possible inclusion in the Belt:

Appalachian State, Texas State, GSU, UTSA, (at one time or another, I understand there have been informal discussions between the Belt and these schools.)

I could also see Lamar in the running because Lamar has a good relationship with some of its old conference mates. Lamar just needs to focus on increasing its budget and improving its facilites. (as all FBS schools seem to be doing)

Anyway, the aTm coud really cause the dominoes to fall; it should be a good show to watch

CardAmbassador
08-13-2011, 03:34 PM
I think some of what you're saying could happen.

I think the C-USA will snatch up some of these schools though as they could lose multiple teams from their conference in just the coming weeks if super conferences are really up us.

The main piece I see falling out of this is La Tech, I think if just 2 or 3 schools are gone from C-USA then La Tech ends up there with maybe Baylor (unless the MWC can get Baylor first)

If the Sun Belt does expand to 16, which would be wise in my opinion then I see it as almost a certainty that Lamar would some how be involved.

TexGator
08-13-2011, 06:35 PM
I think some of what you're saying could happen.

I think the C-USA will snatch up some of these schools though as they could lose multiple teams from their conference in just the coming weeks if super conferences are really up us.

The main piece I see falling out of this is La Tech, I think if just 2 or 3 schools are gone from C-USA then La Tech ends up there with maybe Baylor (unless the MWC can get Baylor first)

If the Sun Belt does expand to 16, which would be wise in my opinion then I see it as almost a certainty that Lamar would some how be involved.

I entirely agree. If the Sun Belt can stay together in some form, Lamar would be an obvious member to pull in. And this alignment (while we know it wouldn't be exactly the same as what would actually happen) keeps travel logical and easy (play your pod home/away in everything but football, where you play your whole division with a conference title game (in the Superdome???)). This alignment could get 4-5 bowl tie-ins and would definitely fill their allotment easily.

Crawfish
08-13-2011, 09:16 PM
The problem with La Tech and C-USA is the market that they are located in; plus they bring almost nothing to the table except football. This is the same knock on Troy. Ruston (or rust-on) has about 10K. C-USA has good spring sports, and La. Tech does not.