PDA

View Full Version : Scrimmage Thread 8/13/2011

coachacola
08-14-2011, 12:13 AM
Chris Dabe at the Beaumont Enterprise is tweeting from the scrimmage. Here's what he's said so far:

Lamar University RBs making a strong early impression. First team backs have 57 yards on four carries.

DePauldrick Garrett scores on 34-yard run off a pitch to left, high stepping away from one defender and then slipping a tackle.

Link: http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/

coachacola
08-14-2011, 12:16 AM
Here's a photo from the scrimmage:

Link: http://yfrog.com/gz5i1gpj

Mike
08-14-2011, 12:16 AM
We have a guy there.l taking pics. He's gonna try to get interviews after the game so we'll see.

bigred360
08-14-2011, 12:18 AM
I like D. Garrett at RB. I knew he was the all-time leading rusher at WO-S. But, Coach Brown stated he is the 2nd all-time leading rusher at Navarro college.

Cplatt
08-14-2011, 12:41 AM
Since i am not from beaumont but went to Lamar, i went to vistit a friend in Nederland today and drove by the campus. It is coming along great. That place is looking good, especially the football and baseball stadium. To think the baseball program is getting an addition 5 million for upgrades, that place is going to be amazing. The football stadium was nice. I expect more upgrades to come soon but still looked good. Like ive always said, winning and winning big signs check alone. Go Cards!!!
Cplatt

PS what was going on at the Montagne today?

Mike
08-14-2011, 01:13 AM
Graduation ceremony going on at montagne today.

We spoke to coach after game. Billy Chavis had his knee scoped and hopefully will be back in a couple weeks. Well post the interview later when I can upload it.

Mahler
08-14-2011, 01:14 AM
Since i am not from beaumont but went to Lamar, i went to vistit a friend in Nederland today and drove by the campus. It is coming along great. That place is looking good, especially the football and baseball stadium. To think the baseball program is getting an addition 5 million for upgrades, that place is going to be amazing. The football stadium was nice. I expect more upgrades to come soon but still looked good. Like ive always said, winning and winning big signs check alone. Go Cards!!!
Cplatt

PS what was going on at the Montagne today?

Summer Commencement

LU4LIFE
08-14-2011, 01:50 AM
I was not impressed with any of the QB's none of them really stood out. I was impressed with Octavious Logan and DePauldrick Garrett they both had a couple really nice runs. Mike Venson on the other hand had a rough night fumbling the ball twice. The defense I thought looked good with only one blown coverage that I can remember.

CardinalClaw
08-14-2011, 03:11 AM
Prewitt started off very well at first but didn't do much after that. Bevil had a big run but other then that he didn't do anything and Johnson just could not move the ball. He threw one pass down field that the WR could of caught but didn't an it was defended really well. Johnson did show his foot work by escaping pressure by bouncing to the side an make the rusher run right by him, but IMO not a very good showing by him. The defense played good they got pressure on the QB's at times an our run D looked good but has room for improvement. The secondary probably impressed me the most, in practice it looked like they needed to work on a few thing an I didn't think they would play all the well in the scrimmage but they did. The D had one INT an forced two fumbles an QB #12 miss handled a snap (defense recovered all three).

CardAmbassador
08-14-2011, 04:03 PM
Prewitt started off very well at first but didn't do much after that. Bevil had a big run but other then that he didn't do anything and Johnson just could not move the ball. He threw one pass down field that the WR could of caught but didn't an it was defended really well. Johnson did show his foot work by escaping pressure by bouncing to the side an make the rusher run right by him, but IMO not a very good showing by him. The defense played good they got pressure on the QB's at times an our run D looked good but has room for improvement. The secondary probably impressed me the most, in practice it looked like they needed to work on a few thing an I didn't think they would play all the well in the scrimmage but they did. The D had one INT an forced two fumbles an QB #12 miss handled a snap (defense recovered all three).

So does anyone think that having 3 QB's in the running for first place might be slowing down our QB #1 development?

Could anyone be said to be lagging behind the others? Has Johnson caught up to the other two in certain ways?

I'm just trying to get a feel for strengths and weakness.

Big T
08-14-2011, 04:28 PM
First off does anyone know who the wide out number 21 is? He realy impressed me with some of his down feild blocking and ran some pretty good routs.

As for the rest of the scrimmage it was pretty bad. None of the QB's were any good, two fumbled center snaps, one rushing fumble, one int by JJ, a couple of droped passes, and the rushing game looked like last years rushing game toward the end.

The defence looked pretty good all night but i don't know weather to be happy about it or worried about the offence lol.

Overall i came away feeling a little worried. I realize it's only the first scrimmage and they weren't playing all out like they would in a real game due to not wanting to cause injuries but they just didn't look that good.

lcm2007ms
08-14-2011, 04:38 PM
First off does anyone know who the wide out number 21 is? He realy impressed me with some of his down feild blocking and ran some pretty good routs.

As for the rest of the scrimmage it was pretty bad. None of the QB's were any good, two fumbled center snaps, one rushing fumble, one int by JJ, a couple of droped passes, and the rushing game looked like last years rushing game toward the end.

The defence looked pretty good all night but i don't know weather to be happy about it or worried about the offence lol.

Overall i came away feeling a little worried. I realize it's only the first scrimmage and they weren't playing all out like they would in a real game due to not wanting to cause injuries but they just didn't look that good.

I believe that was Kevin Smith

CardAmbassador
08-14-2011, 04:43 PM

I believe that was Kevin Smith

DSC01349.JPG

You're correct (Photo from the 8/4 practice)

CardinalClaw
08-14-2011, 05:14 PM
So does anyone think that having 3 QB's in the running for first place might be slowing down our QB #1 development?

Could anyone be said to be lagging behind the others? Has Johnson caught up to the other two in certain ways?

I'm just trying to get a feel for strengths and weakness.

I think the competition has all three of them trying to hard an which ever one of them that can put it aside an just play will win the starting job. That's just my opinion. I don't feel anyone is lagging behind because none of them are really playing all that well. IMO Johnson is still right there with Prewitt an Bevil.