PDA

View Full Version : Second Chance Athletes

BRI Staff
08-14-2011, 04:28 PM
College athletes make mistakes, just like others their age.

But when those blunders leave them looking for somewhere new to play right away, they often turn to smaller schools, like Lamar University.

"It's always on an individual basis," Lamar football coach Ray Woodard said of taking in players who were dismissed from larger universities.

As an example, Lamar beefed up its offensive line last week when the school signed former University of Arkansas lineman Anthony Oden.

Oden, 21, was dismissed last month by Arkansas head coach Bobby Petrino after Oden's second arrest in one year on charges of driving while intoxicated, the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reported.

Read more: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/article/Lamar-a-home-for-athletes-seeking-second-chances-1975079.php#ixzz1V1cKXSSM

CardAmbassador
08-15-2011, 01:16 PM
While this article attempts to paint the situation in a positive light does anyone really believe Lamar takes more second chance athletes than other SLC schools?

Adren Dorsey and Oden are football players, we're a very young program that might not take as many second chance athletes in the future.

Jenna Plumley stole make-up, ok wrong I know but big deal! From what I have seen she is a great person and role model.

What about the other 200+ Lamar athletes? We're a home for second chance athletes because we have three that you can mention?

coachacola
08-20-2011, 12:16 AM
I was on the SFA forum and they have a lot of transfers too. Willie Jefferson from Beaumont just signed with them. I believe he was kicked off the Baylor team. They also just got a 3-star DT from Colorado State. Ben Wells is also going there. I bet SFA's head coach won't be there much longer because he knows how to recruit.

bigred360
08-20-2011, 12:21 AM
CA, it's the Beaumont Enterprise. What else do you expect from a couple of their sports-writers?

CardAmbassador
08-20-2011, 02:06 AM
CA, it's the Beaumont Enterprise. What else do you expect from a couple of their sports-writers?

+1

CardAmbassador
08-23-2011, 08:49 PM
Oden:

Oden said Lamar is the only school he considered. He said “big-time” schools tried to contact him, but he talked only with Lamar.

http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/2011/08/23/anthony-oden-talks-about-heat-lower-playing-weight/

bigred360
08-23-2011, 10:13 PM
I find it funny that people will down Lamar for taking a chance on a couple of kids and they say nothing negative about Willie Jefferson signing with SFA.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5686403

Baylor WR Busted For Second Time

http://www.yardbarker.com/college_football/articles/mugshots_baylor_wr_willie_jefferson_arrested_2nd_t ime_in_a_week/3417039

That second time was within a WEEK!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

CardAmbassador
08-25-2011, 01:17 AM
BE trying to save face: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/opinions/editorials/article/PRO-CON-VIEW-Should-Lamar-sign-athletes-who-have-2137949.php

They title was a stupid one and this little editorial doesn't make it right.

coachacola
08-25-2011, 03:34 PM
I've been having a nice debate over on the other Lamar forum about Oden. :laugh:

Bottom line: I believe in giving these guys a second chance if they are not robbers or muggers or such. I trust Dr. Simmons' judgement in these matters and believe there's nothing wrong with Lamar helping these types of guys out.

CardAmbassador
08-25-2011, 03:44 PM
I've been having a nice debate over on the other Lamar forum about Oden. :laugh:

Bottom line: I believe in giving these guys a second chance if they are not robbers or muggers or such. I trust Dr. Simmons' judgement in these matters and believe there's nothing wrong with Lamar helping these types of guys out.

I believe in second chances too. The reason I was against this transfer at first is for the exact debate you are having with that other poster. Some people are going to view this is a bad move no matter what and you will never convince them otherwise. Drunk Driving has a stigma that other law breaking offenses don't have. I was also concerned because of what some have mentioned. This wont be considered a second chance by some, it's technically a third chance as he has two offenses to his name. Basically I didn't like the negative effect this would have on Lamar's reputation, like it or not, fair or not, it has now had an effect on our reputation.

I wish the best for the guy now. I also wish the BE would have chose a better headline for this article. You can't dub Lamar "a home for second chance athletes" and not negatively impact all the athletes we have who have never done anything wrong. It singles out Lamar for doing something every program does and many times at a higher rate. Who else can you name in the past three years besides Plumley, Oden and Adren? I still insist that Plumley's name doesn't even belong in the same category because petty theft is much different than the other charges.

LU4LIFE
08-25-2011, 05:40 PM
All this talk about Lamar being a second chance University is dumb. People act like LU is the only school in the country that picks up transfers due to off the field issues. This is something that happens at university all over the country, and IMO if the coaches at LU feel they can help these student athletes make better off the field decisions i'm all for them give them another chance.

CardinalClaw
08-25-2011, 07:01 PM
All right I have a question

Does anyone think that there would be a greater chance of Oden hurting someone by drinking an drive if everyone turned their backs on him an didn't give him another chance to turn his life around? ( I understand there comes a point when someone proves they do not deserve another chance, I don't think Oden is one of them)

He knows he made two really bad mistakes an playing at LAMAR will most likely be his last chance to play football and reach his goals if he messes up again. That right there should give him all the motivation he needs to turn all of this around, time will tell.

coachacola
08-25-2011, 07:31 PM
All right I have a question

Does anyone think that there would be a greater chance of Oden hurting someone by drinking an drive if everyone turned their backs on him an didn't give him another chance to turn his life around? ( I understand there comes a point when someone proves they do not deserve another chance, I don't think Oden is one of them)

He knows he made two really bad mistakes an playing at LAMAR will most likely be his last chance to play football and reach his goals if he messes up again. That right there should give him all the motivation he needs to turn all of this around, time will tell.

I can't see how denying him a chance to play football would help him improve his life and keep him from drinking and driving. I think he chose Lamar because Campbell is playing here and will probably be helping him.

I'm done posting over on the other site, the negativity by some of their posters just brings me down.

CardAmbassador
08-25-2011, 09:16 PM
I'm just getting tired of the media hype and that's regardless of Oden's past, I just went to the BE website and counted how many stories he had, there were 12, that's about as many as the QB battle.

I really want Oden to succeed here and I enjoy getting a little info on him every know and then but isn't this overkill for a Offensive Tackle? I'd really like to see some stories about the secondary, or maybe the new secondary coach. Some info on the second string Wide Receivers would be nice too.

Don't get me wrong I appreciate the abundance of info but it's just a little overkill when the local newspaper has done 12 stories on a player that has only been here a week or so.

CardinalClaw
08-25-2011, 09:22 PM
I agree, all this talk about Oden's past is just crazy now. To all the media outlets MOVE ON, there are a ton of better stories to write so go do it.