PDA

View Full Version : LU Marching Band

BRI Staff
08-16-2011, 08:56 PM
We spoke to the Band Director yesterday after their first band practice of the 2011 season. LU will field a band of 175 including dancers, that's up from around 120 last year.

We can't wait for the season to start and to see the even larger Mighty Cardinal Marching Band on the field.

Go Cardinals!

CardAmbassador
08-16-2011, 09:03 PM
I hope for continued growth in the years to come. And as always spectacular performances.

Go Big Red Band!

Mr.KnowItAll
08-16-2011, 09:05 PM
Thats great! Just hope they don't get too much bigger. Start taking up to many of the paying fans seats!!! ;)

bigred360
08-16-2011, 09:13 PM
Personally, I hope they get back to the numbers they had in the 80's. Wasn't it about 300?

BRI Staff
08-21-2011, 04:55 PM
From the Band:

Huge thanks to Nick Luggerio, band director at Huntsville High School, for writing and teaching us the military drill. Prepare to be amazed by the "Showcase of Southeast Texas," representing the great tradition of military marching bands during our pre-game performances!

Go CARDS!!!
---------------------

Looks like pregame will feature some military marching band performances.

bigred360
08-21-2011, 05:30 PM
I like this as it is a great style and military bands are usually the best IMHO.

BigRedTrack
08-21-2011, 05:55 PM
Spoke with the Nederland HS band director 2 nights ago - NHS is currently marching 188, military style. Vidor is also a large military band in the area. Would like to see Lamar break at least the 200 barrier.

CardAmbassador
08-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Spoke with the Nederland HS band director 2 nights ago - NHS is currently marching 188, military style. Vidor is also a large military band in the area. Would like to see Lamar break at least the 200 barrier.

We're a show band during half time. The Military part is for pre-game.

And we should be able to easily hit 300 in time. We increased from 120 to 175 in one year. I think we will continue to steadily grow as a band over the coming years.

LU1991
08-21-2011, 06:05 PM
I'm a fan of the military marching bands also. I wonder if the drought will prevent them doing the firework show during half-time.

Big T
08-22-2011, 01:59 AM
Lamar doesn't march military style. I marched for three years at Nederland and the Nederland band is a true military style band marching in the block performing a manuver and countermarching back into the block. This is not what Lamar does at all. They are a complete performance band. Even before the games they don't march in a true military style but it is more simular.

Big T
08-22-2011, 02:10 AM
Here is a video of the Nederland marching band at UIL marching contest. BTW i'm the third tuba from the right. This is what a true military band look like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hf9Bl9kCyw

I'm putting up another video sorry i can't help myself. This is my favorite of them all. All i can say is we rocked!!! No wonder we are the best HS marching band in SETX! I'm the second Tuba from the left on this one. Toward the end when we are marching toward the stands you can see me real good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aeyg1VpJtBY

Mahler
08-22-2011, 02:31 AM
Lamar doesn't march military style. I marched for three years at Nederland and the Nederland band is a true military style band marching in the block performing a manuver and countermarching back into the block. This is not what Lamar does at all. They are a complete performance band. Even before the games they don't march in a true military style but it is more simular.

Thanks for everyones comments, we are really excited about this year and the years to come with the LU Marching Band. Just to clarify - we will be marching a true military drill during the pre-game performances including "kick-steps," countermarches, flanks, to-the-rears, and cross over flanks :cheer:

We will be doing our pre-game military show to the marches, "Invictus" by Karl King and "National Emblem" by Bagley. There are great high schools that march military in the area and we want to feature that strong tradition. Having grown up and taught a few years in Nacogdoches (a military marching school) I am also a lover of a good military marching bands.

The halftime show will be corps/show style marching as it was last year. One thing is for sure... we are ALL ready for some FOOTBALL!!!

Big T
08-22-2011, 02:42 AM
So the pre game marching military style woll be somthing new ya'll are doing this year? Or did ya'll do it last year. I don't rember any military style last year but that doesn' mean anything lol.

CardAmbassador
08-22-2011, 03:56 AM
So the pre game marching military style woll be somthing new ya'll are doing this year? Or did ya'll do it last year. I don't rember any military style last year but that doesn' mean anything lol.

You really jumped all over this one T didn't you? :) This is new as Mahler and the staff account indicated.

And my HS was a military band who I believe still hold the record for most first chair musicians in one year (4). B)

Crawfish
08-22-2011, 02:29 PM
I was in Jimmy Simmons’s marching band at Lamar. Being from Vidor, this was my first experience doing show drills. I liked both styles. We had roughly 250-275 in the Lamar band in 73. IMHO, we had one of the best college bands in the country back then, especially for a smaller school. Lamar is fortunate to have some great feeder school bands in the Trangle.

Good luck on the coming season.

CardAmbassador
08-25-2011, 01:08 AM
This video is intense:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oAnczGKloA

I can't help but laugh because this is so theatrical. Nice production quality though.

Big T
08-25-2011, 03:48 AM

You really jumped all over this one T didn't you? :) This is new as Mahler and the staff account indicated.

And my HS was a military band who I believe still hold the record for most first chair musicians in one year (4). B)

Just because you have first chair players doesn't mean they can march. :p

Nederland is the only HS in Southeast Texas to have straight ones for 15 years in both marching and concert and sight reading contests. Not only that but Nederlands third band has now gone three stright years with ones in concert and sight reading. Most other schools don't even bother to sign up their third bands due to the fact the would be lucky to get threes. Four is the lowest you can go. Mr. Rose has done a great job at Nederland and i'm looking foward to seeing many many former Nederland Bulldogs in the LU marching band in the future.

I can't wait till Friday!!! AND I CAN'T WAIT FOR SEPTEMBER 3RD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1