PDA

View Full Version : Preview: Secondary

BRI Staff
08-17-2011, 03:49 PM
BEAUMONT - As Allen Johnson, the newest addition to Lamar University's football coaching staff enters his third week of preseason camp with the team, he envisions the Cardinals as having a splendid secondary this season.

Johnson, who joined coach Ray Woodard's Lamar staff after spending the past three seasons as the cornerbacks coach at the University of Texas-El Paso, is sharing co-defensive coordinator duties with linebackers coach Craig McGallion and is excited about the back end of the Cardinals' defense having a standout season this fall.

"As a unit, it's been a really good first couple of weeks - a very pleasant surprise," said the 38-year-old Johnson, a Texas A&M-Commerce graduate and a former member of the U.S. Air Force, of the Cardinals' early workouts in preparation for their Sept. 3 season opener against Texas College in 16,000-seat Provost Umphrey Stadium. "All of the guys are working hard, and they're eager to learn.

"They are becoming a family back there. It shows through their practice habits. They have a good understanding of what we're doing and what we want to accomplish."

Full Preview: http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/081711aaa.html

CardAmbassador
08-17-2011, 04:01 PM
I really like Coach Johnson when I saw him from the side lines coaching, very passionate coach.

I'm also surprised to hear of Wolford transitioning to CB, I thought he would make a pretty good WR but I guess that same skill set can be applied at the corner.

bigred360
08-17-2011, 04:08 PM
You called him the best preffered walk-on CA. However, I don't think this is a move down from WR. Actually, the CB's on a football team are some of the best athletes on the team.

Pre-snap the WR knows the route he is running but the CB's has to react to what the WR does and can't always jump the route or he'll get burned. So, the CB's are usually pretty smart players too.

Clarify, so someone don't correct me. Sometimes the WR runs a combination route depending on how the DB is covering him; to the inside, outside or bump and run, zone, man to man, and a host of others.

Then there is the pre-snap read by the QB on how the defense is playing. For example, if the defense is blitzing the offense has a hot read where the WR runs a different route; slant, quick out or curl.

However, the QB and WR have to be on the same page or there could be a pick 6.

Still, the WR knows what he is running and the DB has to react.

"Wolford came over from the offense to the defense, and he's been a pleasant surprise," said Johnson. "He's picking up things very fast, and we think he's going to be something special down the road."

This very high praise for a walk-on so I bet he'll be on scholarship in the spring. B)

CardinalClaw
08-17-2011, 04:28 PM
I really like Coach Johnson too, the way he coaches is a lot of fun to watch an he expects a lot from his players.