PDA

View Full Version : 8/20 Scrimmage Thread

CardinalClaw
08-19-2011, 07:01 PM
In this scrimmage we have to see more productivity out of the guy fighting for the starting QB position. The three combined to complete 2-of-13 passes for 13 yards in last weeks scrimmage, that is beyond pathetic. We are running out of time an we really need one of these three to step it up, I'm hoping tomorrows scrimmage will shed some light on who is the best guy for the job.

coachacola
08-19-2011, 07:06 PM
SHSU fans are happy that Todd Whitten is not their head coach. He's in charge of our offense now so if the offense struggles early and often maybe Woodard will make a change. I know it's way to early to say he must go but I wonder how much patience Woodard will have if the offense does struggle.

CardAmbassador
08-19-2011, 07:16 PM
I'm going to need to see a game first before I can make a call on TW. I wasn't a fan of alot of his play calling last year but that could have been because of depth and experience issues. I would like to see the play calling increase in complexity as our QB who ever they might be gets more comfortable in the starting role. (I don't want to see passes out to the flats every other play, and timely run plays will be nice)

CardinalClaw
08-19-2011, 07:21 PM
Yeah I am going to have to see a game as well, our lack of a run game could of played a roll in some of Todd Whitten's questionable play call at times last season.

CardAmbassador
08-19-2011, 09:08 PM
Lamar University defenders have permission to tackle quarterbacks during the team's scrimmage at 9 a.m. Saturday at Provost Umphrey Stadium.

"We've got mobile quarterbacks, and part of being mobile is you've got to get away from people," coach Ray Woodard said.

Lamar quarterbacks Doug Prewitt (Kelly), Andre Bevil (West Orange-Stark) and Jeremy Johnson (Silsbee) each are vying for the starting position. Coaches want to see how well the quarterbacks escape pressure and make plays before naming a starter.

Read more: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/lamar/article/Lamar-QBs-will-be-on-the-run-in-Saturday-scrimmage-2132903.php#ixzz1VW09Xlqo

CardinalClaw
08-19-2011, 09:18 PM
I'm glad to hear that, in the first scrimmage you didn't get to see how the QB's would react under pressure. This could really play into Johnson's favor, he is way more mobile then Prewitt or Bevil. Johnson put some nice moves on some guy's last week so I'm interested to see what he can do after he make them miss.

Save Your Salad
08-19-2011, 09:54 PM
SHSU fans are happy that Todd Whitten is not their head coach. He's in charge of our offense now so if the offense struggles early and often maybe Woodard will make a change. I know it's way to early to say he must go but I wonder how much patience Woodard will have if the offense does struggle.

I remember hearing the rumors of either Todd Dodge or Lamar having interest in one antoher after he was fired at UNT and it makes me sick knowing we likely couldve got him but Woodard already hired Whitten. I think Dodge wouldve been a hell of an OC at Lamar to begin getting his career back on course.

coachacola
08-19-2011, 10:04 PM

I remember hearing the rumors of either Todd Dodge or Lamar having interest in one antoher after he was fired at UNT and it makes me sick knowing we likely couldve got him but Woodard already hired Whitten. I think Dodge wouldve been a hell of an OC at Lamar to begin getting his career back on course.

I think it was more of the Lamar fans wanting him to come here. He's with Pittsburgh of the Big East as the quarterbacks coach and he probably makes more than what Lamar could have paid him as OC.

bigred360
08-20-2011, 12:36 AM

I think it was more of the Lamar fans wanting him to come here. He's with Pittsburgh of the Big East as the quarterbacks coach and he probably makes more than what Lamar could have paid him as OC.

Doubt it would happen with Riley Dodge at McNeese but I'm sure Todd Dodge would rather be a OC somewhere in the south than the QB coach at Pittsburgh. That just happened to be his best option at the time.

I bet within the next couple years you see him leave for a school in the southern part of the US.

Mike
08-20-2011, 02:16 PM
A few note from KSET's Fred Davis who's attending the scrimmage this AM:

"Jeremy Johnson on his second play in the scrimmage, gets blasted, but still throws a 32-yd jumpball to JJ Hayes for a TD... impressive"

"Johnson bobbles second snap for the second drive in a row, has looked mediocre after exciting first few plays"

"No sooner than I call out JJ, he throws an 18-yd bullet over two defenders to Franks for a first down...."

LU4LIFE
08-20-2011, 02:59 PM
Johnson had problems with the snaps multiple times during the scrimmage, but did make some nice plays at times. Prewitt took a hit to the head area and looked like he might of suffered an injured, he sat on the field for a few seconds before getting helped up. He stayed in for a few more plays then came out and took off his pads. Bevil might of also suffered a injury, I over heard one of the coaches asking him which shoulder it was, so i'm really just guessing that he hurt one of his shoulders.

Mike
08-20-2011, 03:04 PM
Johnson had problems with the snaps multiple times during the scrimmage, but did make some nice plays at times. Prewitt took a hit to the head area and looked like he might of suffered an injured, he sat on the field for a few seconds before getting helped up. He stayed in for a few more plays then came out and took off his pads. Bevil might of also suffered a injury, I over heard one of the coaches asking him which shoulder it was, so i'm really just guessing that he hurt one of his shoulders.

Dabe reporting on twitter it may be a concussion and if it is he could miss some time.

coachacola
08-20-2011, 03:18 PM
Johnson will probably end up the opening day starter, one way or another. Hopefully Prewitt and Bevil only suffered minor injuries and will be ready for the first game. Lamar needs all three guys healthy.

CardinalClaw
08-20-2011, 03:22 PM
Here are some QB stats I'm not sure if they are 100% accurate if not they are close.

Bevil 3 of 6 for 29 yards with 1 TD an 2 runs for 13 yards.

Prewitt 2 of 3 for 51 yards with 0 TD an 2 runs for 18 yards.

Johnson 5 of 10 for 46 yards with 1 TD an 2 runs one for 11yards an the other -2 yards (I guess you could say that one is a sac but he was going to run the ball an fell). He did throw 1 INT but it was called back because of pass interference, the defender got there way to early.

The running game looked alright today, Logan had by far the best day an IMO should/will be the #1 RB. There was a problem with some of them holding on to the ball so they need to fix that real fast.

LU4LIFE
08-20-2011, 03:51 PM

Dabe reporting on twitter it may be a concussion and if it is he could miss some time.

I also thought it might be a concussion because they where asking him if he was dizzy when he got to the sideline.

AggiesAreWe
08-20-2011, 04:37 PM
I was at the scrimmage. Looked good at times, then very sloppy.

I think it is time for Woodard to name a starting QB and let that player get as many reps as possible over the next two weeks. From what I have seen (practices and scrimmages) it should be Bevil.

But, with that said, I am curious to how bad a shoulder injury Bevil has. With Prewitt having a possible concussion, Bevil needs to be as healthy as possible for the opener.

Jeremy still needs work but I believe he can be effective against Texas College if necessary.

I still think JJ will be the starting QB by mid season.

coachacola
08-20-2011, 05:16 PM
Here's a few comments from Chris Dabe of the "In The Cards" blog:

“I think we’re going to have to do a few more live drills in practice with the running backs,” coach Ray Woodard said. “It looks like most of them were caused either by collisions or strips, so we’re going to have to do a much better job of taking care of the football.”

Offensive coordinator Todd Whitten was frustrated after the scrimmage.

“My biggest concern with everything was the ball being on the ground today,” Whitten said. “That’s totally and 100 percent unacceptable. The three or four times it was on the ground, that’s not winning football if we’re going to struggle with that. I’m not happy about that at all.”

Quarterbacks are off-limits in most preseason scrimmages, but Lamar coaches wanted to see how the signal-callers handled a rush before they pick a starter for the Sept. 3 opener against Texas College.

That decision might have caused sophomore Doug Prewitt to suffer a concussion that could keep him sidelined for a bit, but senior Andre Bevil and freshman Jeremy Johnson showed enough elusiveness to make plays.

Here’s a quick quarterback comparison from Saturday’s scrimmage:

Andre Bevil, 3-of-6, 26 yards, one TD (11 snaps)

Doug Prewitt, 2-of-3, 44 yards (10 snaps)

Jeremy Johnson, 6-of-9, 50 yards, one TD (18 snaps)

Link: http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/

LU4LIFE
08-20-2011, 05:22 PM
I was at the scrimmage. Looked good at times, then very sloppy.

I think it is time for Woodard to name a starting QB and let that player get as many reps as possible over the next two weeks. From what I have seen (practices and scrimmages) it should be Bevil.

But, with that said, I am curious to how bad a shoulder injury Bevil has. With Prewitt having a possible concussion, Bevil needs to be as healthy as possible for the opener.

Jeremy still needs work but I believe he can be effective against Texas College if necessary.

I still think JJ will be the starting QB by mid season.

I agree, its time for a starter to be picked so he can have the majority of reps in practice so he and the WR can be in sync come the start of the season.

LU4LIFE
08-20-2011, 05:25 PM
http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082011aaa.html

bigred360
08-20-2011, 05:38 PM
Man, I'm a little worried about the RB's fumbling so much and two QB hurt by going "live" during the scrimmage.

I agree it is time to name a starter at the QB position. Plus, we have a ton of injuries and need to get healthy.

Mike
08-20-2011, 06:57 PM
Fred Davis did a great write-up for us on today's scrimmage. Check it out....

LINK: Fred Davis on Todays Scrimmage (http://bigredinsider.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=376&catid=1)

coachacola
08-20-2011, 07:27 PM
Fred Davis did a great write-up from today's scrimmage. Check it out....

LINK: Fred Davis on todays Scrimmage (http://bigredinsider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=5&id=19664&Itemid=169)

Great writeup. Hopefully he'll do more of these for BRI.

bigred360
08-20-2011, 07:29 PM
Great read as Mr Davis did a nice job describing the scrimmage. However, he didn't address the issues with the offensive line missing a couple of probably starters.

I totally agree with his assessment of the QB position and his thoughts regarding Jeremy Johnson. He is the QB of the future here at Lamar University and I don't mean that as a slam on any of the other QB.

He is just a special talent.

CardinalClaw
08-20-2011, 07:35 PM
The link is not working for me it just opens the scrimmage thread in a different tab.

Mike
08-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Fred Davis did a great write-up from today's scrimmage. Check it out....

LINK: Fred Davis on todays Scrimmage (http://bigredinsider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=5&id=19664&Itemid=169)

Great writeup. Hopefully he'll do more of these for BRI.

He will. You guys need to listen & support his show if time permits.

LINK: KSET Live Internet Feed (http://clients.globaldatalink.net/kset/live.htm)

bigred360
08-20-2011, 07:38 PM
CardinalClaw, I had to go back to the front page as the link didn't work for me either. Then click on the picture of the scrimmage on 8/20/11.

Mike
08-20-2011, 07:40 PM
The link is not working for me it just opens the scrimmage thread in a different tab.

Try it again, and if not it's the headline story on the homepage.

LINK: Fred Davis on Todays Scrimmage (http://bigredinsider.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=376&catid=1)

West
08-20-2011, 11:06 PM
Great write up!

CardAmbassador
08-21-2011, 03:09 AM
Dang, that was loaded with good information. Thank you very much.

A few oddities. Davion is back at Receiver now? I'm confused about what is going on there.

Why do you think Bevil gets the start after the statements you made? It seems like both JJ and Prewitt (even with Prewitt's limited PT) showed they were better.

I completely agree about the other QB's taking the snap. We have 3 guys battling for #1 that's already enough to keep us busy, why do we need more? Again I'm not a coach I just wish we would get this QB competition closer to completion because we need somone getting the majority of the snaps so they can get good timing with receivers.

I feel pretty good about the Running Back situation with Garrett, Logan and Hussey, I think there is enough talent there to carry this team and I do expect Garrett to get better.

This was a great write up, again thank you!!!

CardAmbassador
08-21-2011, 03:35 AM
I do like the productivity, albeit limited due to time, from all the QB's. Apparently there is some questions and Bevil got some breaks through poor officiating. But the numbers don't sound nearly as bad as they did last week.

This is encouraging too:

Also, sophomore kicker Kollin Kahler demonstrated a strong leg with punts of 47 and 50 yards.