PDA

View Full Version : Bob West 8/20 column

BRI Staff
08-21-2011, 11:26 AM
"While conceding that Calgary and Alberta weren’t exactly great teams, Lamar basketball coach Pat Knight couldn’t contain his enthusiasm over the way his Cardinals played on their Canadian Tour in sweeping three games by the average score of 103-70. “Our guys played well. They guarded the hell out of them,” Knight said. “All six of our guards got in the passing lanes and played the ball tough. I wish I’d had guys at Texas Tech that play as hard as Devon Lamb (14.3 points, 10.0 rebounds). From watching tape, I thought these guys were pretty selfish last year, but they played as a team. Mike James (26 points per game, 29-of-55 shooting) was terrific. These last two weeks were huge for us. I’m really anxious for fall practice to start.” . . . LU’s football team was totally inept when it came to running the ball last season, scoring only one rushing touchdown. Expect there to be considerable improvement this year, thanks in part to former WO-Stark running back DePauldrick Garrett and in part to a massive offensive line that should be much improved. Consider, for instance, as I pointed out in the Cardinal preview in Football 2011, that Lamar at times could line up with Daniel Campbell, a 6-6, 370 pounder who signed with USC out of high school, and 6-7, 300 Arkansas transfer Anthony Oden at the tackles. If those guys are half as good as USC and Arkansas recruiters thought they were, they ought to be able to knock some folks back . . ."

LINK: Complete article (http://panews.com/sports/x1592793972/Street-naming-sets-up-Bum-to-attend-Mid-County-Madness)