PDA

View Full Version : Preview: Line Backers

BRI Staff
08-23-2011, 09:02 PM
BEAUMONT - With two preseason intrasquad scrimmages under their belts and one to go, Lamar University's linebackers appear on target to be game ready by their Sept 3 season opener against Texas College in Provost Umphrey Stadium.

"Basically, it's a matter of playing ourselves into shape right now," said Craig McGallion, the Cardinals' co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach. "We're definitely going to have a stronger unit this season, but the heat has been tough on the guys, especially the bigger ones. Still, they're taking strides forward day by day."

If the Cardinals were to take the field today against Texas College, sophomore James Washington would be the starter at the strongside linebacker, senior Asim Hicks would start at the weakside spot and senior Jacody Coleman, a converted defensive end, would be the No. 1 middle linebacker.

"The main thing we're concentrating on right now is eliminating the mental errors," said McGallion. "We've changed up the responsibilities of the linebackers quite a bit since last season, and the players are in the process of adapting to those changes.

Read More: http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082311aaa.html

CardAmbassador
08-23-2011, 09:07 PM
We're going from the 4-2-5 to the 4-3, and the players have to get acclimated to that.

I didn't know that.

bigred360
08-23-2011, 10:04 PM
I didn't either but it might suite our talent better. Our two-deep DL and LB are impressive. Good to see Beard in healthy and Ploch was a QB in HS and ran an impressive 4.57 forty this spring while adding weight. He is now 215.

CardAmbassador
08-23-2011, 10:12 PM
I didn't either but it might suite our talent better. Our two-deep DL and LB are impressive. Good to see Beard in healthy and Ploch was a QB in HS and ran an impressive 4.57 forty this spring while adding weight. He is now 215.

Did you notice Ekpe is not mentioned? Our two deep LB is impressive, just imagine how much more impressive if Ekpe is allowed to play.

bigred360
08-23-2011, 10:15 PM
True and I hope his appeal is granted but you gotta play with the ones you got.

NorthoftheBorder
08-24-2011, 05:57 PM
I am feeling pretty comfortable with our 2 deep LB's. I expect vast improvement over last year with the defense. I feel like we will compete week in week out in the SLC this year.

CardAmbassador
08-24-2011, 06:38 PM
No doubt about it I feel more comfortable too. I just like how far along we are on the learning curve compared to last year. Now it's more about timing and little things, last year at this time they were still just learning the play book.

I'll feel really good once we get the QB set and they get some time to perfect their timing with the receivers.