PDA

View Full Version : Preview: Tight Ends - Offensive Line

BRI Staff
08-26-2011, 03:50 PM
BEAUMONT - With just over a week of training camp remaining until Lamar's 7:30 p.m. Sept. 3 season opener against Texas College from Provost Umphrey Stadium, the Cardinals' offensive line is preparing to be one of the stronger units on the football team.

With an influx of new talent, and a year of playing time for the returning players, the offensive line is deeper and more experienced than at this time last season when Lamar was preparing to play for the first time in 21 seasons.

Offensive line coach Nathan Reeves is working with 18 offensive linemen and seven tight ends during the preseason. While not all 25 players will see game action this season, Reeves knows the importance of having more quality and depth along the Cardinals' front.

"We have five guys who started at least one game for us last year, who aren't even on the two-deep right now," said Reeves. "We have added size and strength, but the big thing is guys growing up and maturing."

Full Article: http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082611aaa.html

NorthoftheBorder
08-26-2011, 03:57 PM
This could very well be the strength of this team, and if it is we could have a spectacular year.

CardAmbassador
08-26-2011, 04:09 PM
Wow, that was definitely the most exciting of all the previews to read. Here are some parts that make me really excited:

"Oden is a big, physical kid, and is probably as talented as any player we have on the team regardless of position," Reeves said. "There's no reason he shouldn't be the best tackle in the Southland Conference this season."

"We have five guys who started at least one game for us last year, who aren't even on the two-deep right now," said Reeves. "We have added size and strength, but the big thing is guys growing up and maturing."

"Kyle was the most valuable lineman we had last year," said Reeves. "He did a great job for us, but I look for him to be even better this year. He has really grown up a lot, and has gotten a lot stronger." (He and Oden are sophomores so this is good)

"Our second team this year is probably where our first team was last year," said Reeves, "so we are much better than we were. We have looked really good as a unit in camp, and I expect us to be a big part of the team's success."

I would have liked to hear more about the other TE's but still this was good stuff coming from a coaches mouth.

LU4LIFE
08-26-2011, 05:51 PM
Offense of lineman are the most over looked players on the football field, and really they are the most important. You got to have a good O line if you want to move the ball and i'm really liking the talent we have on our O line. IMO they will play big part in any LU success this season.

coachacola
08-26-2011, 06:09 PM
I think the lack of depth last year on the OL combined with the downfall of Bevil led to those big losses in the middle of the season. I just don't see that happening this year with this depth. I think Woodard has done a nice job of mixing HS signees and transfers in building this team. The OL is pretty young so they should be even better next year.

bigred360
08-26-2011, 09:23 PM
If Oden is really as talented as any player regardless of position I wouldn't mind seeing him play a little round ball in the winter for Coach Knight.